Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Lou supposedly said that to Jagr's agent at the end of the 8-2-2 run, just before the four-game losing streak.  Though we all kind of knew that the 8-2-2 burst was a lot of fool's gold, under the circumstances, I can give Lou a bit of a pass for being optimistic, especially with Schneider playing so well.  That being said, if he's still optimistic now, then he's out of his mind.  The team is not good and there's no sugarcoating it.

Again, Lou doesn't need to trade anyone right this second.  The moves will come...probably not as many as we'd all like (and the returns won't be anything special), but he will get rid of some bodies before or at the deadline.  If he does absolutely nothing by then and you want to kill him for it, have at it.  There's no excusing that.        

Stop CR. Obviously since rumor has it that Jagr told Lou he wanted to be traded earlier and wasn't it clearly means that Lou is a moron, who is incapable of being a GM. Obviously when players demand the GM do something, even if only a rumor that they did, the GM has to do exactly that or he is an idiot. It doesn't matter what is best for the team. Lou has obviously lost his mind because he didn't trade Jagr on Feb. 1, when according to hearsay, Jagr demanded a trade. Lou is clearly the root of all our problems.

Lol Єklund (2.3% accurate) says islanders are talking to Devils about jagr.....and get this....Elias.

This is one that actually kind of makes sense.   Jagr would work for the Isles, but the problem is they are very thin on draft picks this year and next.  They however, have two very good forward prospects in Dal Colle and Ho Sang, but Jagr for one of them does not make sense.  Hence you would have to add something that the Isles could use beyond this year, and Elias fits that bill. 

I would be open to getting what I can for Elias at this point too. I'm not sure he'd be open to being uprooted at this point, and of course nobody trusts Єklund (2.3% accurate)...but the Isles look like one place where he would be open to going. Not much of a move

Again, Lou doesn't need to trade anyone right this second.  The moves will come...probably not as many as we'd all like (and the returns won't be anything special), but he will get rid of some bodies before or at the deadline.  If he does absolutely nothing by then and you want to kill him for it, have at it.  There's no excusing that.        

I'm worried he's going to wait too long.

Lou obviously knows the business better than I, and he knows what he's doing.  But I still worry.

Stop CR. Obviously since rumor has it that Jagr told Lou he wanted to be traded earlier and wasn't it clearly means that Lou is a moron, who is incapable of being a GM. Obviously when players demand the GM do something, even if only a rumor that they did, the GM has to do exactly that or he is an idiot. It doesn't matter what is best for the team. Lou has obviously lost his mind because he didn't trade Jagr on Feb. 1, when according to hearsay, Jagr demanded a trade. Lou is clearly the root of all our problems.

i like the sarcasm but it's not about that at all. It's about Lou being delusional thinking he has a contending team. Nothing more than that.

And him believing that has to change the way he does business. And that's hurting.

even if that rumour isnt true. We've seen other quotes, we saw him claiming it himself too. We ALL know that Lou clearly think he's in the run and could make a run even though its clear his team has no chance. Anyone denying this is out of it. And Lou being this delusional explains a lot about the way he approached certain situations (and failed) 

It's like if you're stuck in snow with your car... if you believe you can get out just by having the pedal to the floor and not let it go. Well lol i think we all know you're just making it worst haha instead of going slow and shoveling a bit and turning the wheels and going slowly forward then slowly backward until you can get it out. You'll never get out lol  this is quite similar.

Edited by SterioDesign

This is one that actually kind of makes sense. Jagr would work for the Isles, but the problem is they are very thin on draft picks this year and next. They however, have two very good forward prospects in Dal Colle and Ho Sang, but Jagr for one of them does not make sense. Hence you would have to add something that the Isles could use beyond this year, and Elias fits that bill.

Tavares would love it I'm sure- he was giving lots of praise to Elias during the all-star game. Tavares even invited Patty to fly back with him and Halak, an offer Patty took him up on. But man, it would kill me to see him in another uniform... Especially a division rival's.

i like the sarcasm but it's not about that at all. It's about Lou being delusional thinking he has a contending team. Nothing more than that.

And him believing that has to change the way he does business. And that's hurting.

See, your problem is you take every last syllable out of Lou's mouth at face value. Which is pretty stupid, but hey- agenda gonna agenda right?

If the Isles somehow land Patty (and it'd take a really pretty penny, probably a first + prospect), I think they're a lock to get to the Finals. Simple as that.

The experience, skill, leadership that he'd bring, forget it... His only drawbacks (getting slower, slowly but surely regressing) are a non-issue on an Isles team where everyone is quick and skilled.

I guess all the same things go for Jagr too, but for some reason, Elias and the Isles makes more sense to me for all parties involved.

Ugh, it'd be really painful seeing him in another uniform, but I wonder how much he'd like another SERIOUS run at the Cup on a team that are assembling themselves to be the favorite.

Edited by DJ Eco

I would be open to getting what I can for Elias at this point too. I'm not sure he'd be open to being uprooted at this point, and of course nobody trusts Єklund (2.3% accurate)...but the Isles look like one place where he would be open to going. Not much of a move

I think Elias mentioned to either Chere or TG a couple of weeks ago that he would be open to the idea of playing for another team if it meant competing for another Cup.  (Might have been in the context of Marty retiring or when he made it to 1000 points). 

But man, it would kill me to see him in another uniform... Especially a division rival's.

He's got one more year left on his deal, and I still think he could play somewhere after that, which means that there's a good chance you'd be seeing him playing for a different team anyway.

So far as it being a rival, it's not like he's playing for the Rangers, and he'd actually be playing for a team that would be a roadblock to the Rangers winning the Cup.  Enemy of my enemy....

Alright, i don't know your name buddy, but for now i'll call you... Scott Donovan.

Say were sitting together and you're running the Devils. YOU are. Am i'm asking you "Hey scott donovan, do you feel you could win the cup with this roster this year?"

What would you say? 

I mean it was pretty damn clear to me that we never had a team to win the cup, and when you can't win a cup when you build toward a roster that could, "making the playoffs" shouldn't be the goal here, winning the cup is". And we certainly never had a team that we could say "well once you're in, you never know. We saw this team, we know. 

Weren't you pretty happy with Lou's moves coming into this season?  Re-signing Schneider, Jagr and Zids, getting the young D back into the fold, signing Havlat to a potential bargain contract... 

Anyway, going into the season, I was optimistic, though I knew it was very much an "IF" team, just like last year's team, and I said so at the time. 

Unfortunately, as we've seen, the IFs didn't work out.   

I don't think you realize how difficult it is to commit to a full-on tear-down of a team, especially when greener pastures aren't guaranteed.  It's a serious commitment to take a wrecking ball to your team.  Most GMs don't do it willingly...a lot of them have to be forced into it, and yeah, many of them make a mistake or two in trying to squeeze out a couple more years. 

This being said, keep in mind there were some reasons for optimism this season:

1) Zajac finished up last season pretty well offensively:  38 points in his last 52 GP

2) Henrique scored 19 goals over his last 39 GP. 

3) Clowe put up 24 points in his last 32 GP.

4) The #1 goaltending job was going to be Schneider's without dispute.  Even with all that has gone wrong this season, Schneider has more than done his job for much of it.

5) Lots of young D who clearly needed work, but showed enough to have us excited about their potential in 2015-16 

6) Seemingly ageless Jaromir Jagr was back in the fold.  We knew there'd likely be a dropoff, but we still all thought he would contribute nicely.

I'll be fair, there were definitely reasons for pessimism too...I thought this was an IF team for a reason.  But I can't blame Lou for thinking all was not lost coming into this season.

DD56 has said it to you multiple times...it's not like everyone who doesn't think on your simplistic terms automatically thinks Lou can do or did no wrong.  Even his staunchest defenders are open to the idea of this being his last season.  And I don't think Lou is the senile old fool you disrespectfully make him out to be every chance you get.  I think he knows he's taken this group as far as it can go.  Lou won't be fooled into thinking that Henrique and Zajac are better offensively than they really are.  He won't again hope that Clowe can buck the odds and get through a full season.  I don't know how long he's got here, but I do strongly feel that his approach is going to change considerably...starting with the deadline.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I couldn't bring myself to move Elias under any circumstances short of next winter him saying he won't resign here and us being out of it again.

Fortunately for you, and unfortunately for maybe others, Lou would never trade Elias or ask to trade him. Elias has shown too much loyalty to the Devils for Lou to trade him, and I don't think he would ask to be dealt just yet. I am going to say it have to be another miserable season for him. Remember this about Lou: Brodeur asked to be dealt at the deadline last year and Lou would not do it. They met and he promised Brodeur he'd get a chance to be the starter and lead the Devils to the playoffs. His agent pretty much had to do all the calling for Lou/Brodeur.

But why have Elias stay if there is value for him in a deal? The fact that he has a year left on his deal might scare teams away or make him somewhat appealing for other teams. The Devils desperately need picks and younger players. If Elias could bring that back for the Devils, they should look into it. However, we know Lou will not look into it.

Tavares would love it I'm sure- he was giving lots of praise to Elias during the all-star game. Tavares even invited Patty to fly back with him and Halak, an offer Patty took him up on. But man, it would kill me to see him in another uniform... Especially a division rival's.

See, your problem is you take every last syllable out of Lou's mouth at face value. Which is pretty stupid, but hey- agenda gonna agenda right?

his words? i know damn well how's lou with the media and everything. But wouldnt you say his actions are reflecting EXACTLY what he's saying when it comes to that ? I certainly would

Weren't you pretty happy with Lou's moves coming into this season?  Re-signing Schneider, Jagr and Zids, getting the young D back into the fold, signing Havlat to a potential bargain contract... 

Anyway, going into the season, I was optimistic, though I knew it was very much an "IF" team, just like last year's team, and I said so at the time. 

Unfortunately, as we've seen, the IFs didn't work out.   

I don't think you realize how difficult it is to commit to a full-on tear-down of a team, especially when greener pastures aren't guaranteed.  It's a serious commitment to take a wrecking ball to your team.  Most GMs don't do it willingly...a lot of them have to be forced into it, and yeah, many of them make a mistake or two in trying to squeeze out a couple more years. 

This being said, keep in mind there were some reasons for optimism this season:

1) Zajac finished up last season pretty well offensively:  38 points in his last 52 GP

2) Henrique scored 19 goals over his last 39 GP. 

3) Clowe put up 24 points in his last 32 GP.

4) The #1 goaltending job was going to be Schneider's without dispute.  Even with all that has gone wrong this season, Schneider has more than done his job for much of it.

5) Lots of young D who clearly needed work, but showed enough to have us excited about their potential in 2015-16 

6) Seemingly ageless Jaromir Jagr was back in the fold.  We knew there'd likely be a dropoff, but we still all thought he would contribute nicely.

I'll be fair, there were definitely reasons for pessimism too...I thought this was an IF team for a reason.  But I can't blame Lou for thinking all was not lost coming into this season.

DD56 has said it to you multiple times...it's not like everyone who doesn't think on your simplistic terms automatically thinks Lou can do or did no wrong.  Even his staunchest defenders are open to the idea of this being his last season.  And I don't think Lou is the senile old fool you disrespectfully make him out to be every chance you get.  I think he knows he's taken this group as far as it can go.  Lou won't be fooled into thinking that Henrique and Zajac are better offensively than they really are.  He won't again hope that Clowe can buck the odds and get through a full season.  I don't know how long he's got here, but I do strongly feel that his approach is going to change considerably...starting with the deadline.       

Sure i was happy with a few of those moves. But they we're OBVIOUS moves, any of us would have done those moves cause they HAD to be done. We all knew we need Jagr and obviously re-sign Schneider before he was hitting free agency. 

And of course  greener pasture isnt guaranteed BUT... he HAD to do it cause you know what? The yellow pasture we're standing on is getting yellower by the minutes and there's no stopping it. Elias is almost done, Zubs is done, Jagr was done, Clowe is done, etc etc... all our forwards group except maybe 2-3 guys are solid and we have nothing to replace them in our system. That's a HUGE concern. But we all know that already. 

So this is where you have to make the line and realize, what we have going here needs to be revamped and quick. That's not what Lou went for and he digged himself a bigger hole. I can applaud an all out mentality, but its alway gonna depend on your current situation. A millionaire playing poker and going all out every night is not big deal (i'd say we've been "millionaires" for quiiiiite awhile and could afford those gamblings in the past), but a guy not able to pay his mortage already and gambling and going all out every night and not knowing when to stop, that's a big problem. And this is what we have here. Looking at his team, our prospects and at our future. Lou had to try to sign Clarkson and Fayne and if he couldnt they had to be traded. The % of chances we had to win the cup with that team was NOT worth the gamble of losing both guys for nothing. 

and this is only one example of the casualties his all out mentality brought. And by his quotes (if they are true) im really worried that he's gonna wait too long again.

I'm sure you guys think im clueless and don't understand the "if you're in the race, you shouldnt trade" of course i get it. But it always depends on the situation. Our prospects group and team was too weak to risk losing guys on the market, in proportion to our chances of winning the cup. The gamble was way too big.

Edited by SterioDesign

Sure i was happy with a few of those moves. But they we're OBVIOUS moves, any of us would have done those moves cause they HAD to be done. We all knew we need Jagr and obviously re-sign Schneider before he was hitting free agency. 

And of course  greener pasture isnt guaranteed BUT... he HAD to do it cause you know what? The yellow pasture we're standing on is getting yellower by the minutes and there's no stopping it. Elias is almost done, Zubs is done, Jagr was done, Clowe is done, etc etc... all our forwards group except maybe 2-3 guys are solid and we have nothing to replace them in our system. That's a HUGE concern. But we all know that already. 

So this is where you have to make the line and realize, what we have going here needs to be revamped and quick. That's not what Lou went for and he digged himself a bigger hole. I can applaud an all out mentality, but its alway gonna depend on your current situation. A millionaire playing poker and going all out every night is not big deal (i'd say we've been "millionaires" for quiiiiite awhile and could afford those gamblings in the past), but a guy not able to pay his mortage already and gambling and going all out every night and not knowing when to stop, that's a big problem. And this is what we have here. Looking at his team, our prospects and at our future. Lou had to try to sign Clarkson and Fayne and if he couldnt they had to be traded. The % of chances we had to win the cup with that team was NOT worth the gamble of losing both guys for nothing. 

and this is only one example of the casualties his all out mentality brought. And by his quotes (if they are true) im really worried that he's gonna wait too long again.

I think that's your major issue.  Revamps (at least real meaningful ones with positive results) usually don't happen quick.  This might take a couple more seasons.  Let's just hope Lou dumps some dead weight by the deadline and during the off-season in addition to contracts ending and coming off the books.  From there as long as we head towards the right direction then I am fine, just might take a bit.

Fortunately for you, and unfortunately for maybe others, Lou would never trade Elias or ask to trade him. Elias has shown too much loyalty to the Devils for Lou to trade him, and I don't think he would ask to be dealt just yet. I am going to say it have to be another miserable season for him. Remember this about Lou: Brodeur asked to be dealt at the deadline last year and Lou would not do it. They met and he promised Brodeur he'd get a chance to be the starter and lead the Devils to the playoffs. His agent pretty much had to do all the calling for Lou/Brodeur.

But why have Elias stay if there is value for him in a deal? The fact that he has a year left on his deal might scare teams away or make him somewhat appealing for other teams. The Devils desperately need picks and younger players. If Elias could bring that back for the Devils, they should look into it. However, we know Lou will not look into it.

I'm sorry but this is a pretty bogus interpretation of events - Brodeur probably wanted a trade last year.  There is no guarantees that anyone was interested, given his salary, and in addition, the Devils didn't have a backup goalie that they could rely on and they were also going for the playoffs.    

Plenty of people have asked Lou for trades.  John MacLean asked Lou for a trade.

I'm sorry but this is a pretty bogus interpretation of events - Brodeur probably wanted a trade last year.  There is no guarantees that anyone was interested, given his salary, and in addition, the Devils didn't have a backup goalie that they could rely on and they were also going for the playoffs.    

Plenty of people have asked Lou for trades.  John MacLean asked Lou for a trade.

Everyone knows he wanted a trade. Maybe teams weren't willing to give him what he personally wanted, but Lou wasn't going to find out for him. He wasn't sending a memo to 30 teams that Brodeur is available. I'll gladly go through the archives to give a timeline, but Lou was willing to do a lot to make Brodeur happy before dealing him.

Edited by devilsrule33

SD, you have to realize that this situation is not the same as the past couple of seasons.  Those teams were actually in the hunt...maybe that was fool's gold too, but they were. 

This team isn't.  Lou knows it.  Forget quotes.  The Devils will have to win 6 out of 7 just to be at NHL .500 by the deadline (27-27-9), and even if they pull that off, eighth-seed Boston already has 28 wins under its belt.

Lou is not going to make trades for this season.  And I do think he will do what he can to get what he can. 

Why because he hasn't traded Jagr yet? Cmon SD...

Absolutely not, thats ridiculous to assume that this is what i meant. But Clarkson and Fayne are prime examples. You don't won't agree of course. But we had no business in the playoffs in the last 2 seasons either close or not. We've lost too much and our group was aging, Lou had to start making steps back then to restock and he gambled all in and we've lost assets in their primes.

Edited by SterioDesign

Absolutely not, thats ridiculous to assume that this is what i meant. But Clarkson and Fayne are prime examples. You don't won't agree of course. But we had no business in the playoffs in the last 2 seasons either close or not. We've lost too much and our group was aging, Lou had to start making steps back then to restock and he gambled all in and we've lost assets in their primes.

490e23994f79e9d4bf23f4d6fed0d02c.jpg

SD, you have to realize that this situation is not the same as the past couple of seasons.  Those teams were actually in the hunt...maybe that was fool's gold too, but they were. 

This team isn't.  Lou knows it.  Forget quotes.  The Devils will have to win 6 out of 7 just to be at NHL .500 by the deadline (27-27-9), and even if they pull that off, eighth-seed Boston already has 28 wins under its belt.

Lou is not going to make trades for this season.  And I do think he will do what he can to get what he can. 

Well i guess we can simply agree to disagree but i did not and still don't believe that the last 2 years that we had a contending team either.

Did we simply miss the playoffs because of luck or god knows? i dont think so, we were simply missing too much skills and roster decisions was making things worst.

that's my opinion, we never had a contending team. Based on that opinion, Lou didnt make the right decision holding on to Clarkson and Fayne and we've lost those guys in their prime and at top value (wtv what that value would have been, would have been top of what those guys could have ever brought). 

If you believe we had a contending team the last 2 seasons, well then maybe that's why we don't see things the same way and that you're on Lou's side.

But at the end of the day, Lou was wrong and it's biting him in the ass right now