Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

If you are trying to sell something you don't run around telling people that you are desperate to shift them and need to get rid of them ASAP. That's when people start taking advantage.

You end up looking like Gil from the Simpsons.

If you are trying to sell something you don't run around telling people that you are desperate to shift them and need to get rid of them ASAP. That's when people start taking advantage.

Tend to disagree at this level it's pretty apparent who can be had, bluffing either way I don't think does much of anything. Or you could even say put the names out there and try and create a bidding war although you would have to assume some of the junk you're trying to pawn off actually had meaningful value.

Whats worrying me a bit is the gamble (in this situation). 

Say you need money for your mortgage on March 1st... You have no money and your only way of getting money is selling your car.

Well if you're selling it for $5,000... and that someone offer you $3,500 cash one week before march 1st but it's now or never, he's gonna buy another one that day if you don't take the offer... well... do you play safe of take it? or you wait HOPING you'll get a better offer before the deadline, risking not to sell it at all, miss your payment and be fvcked.

I think we all know Lou is the kind to push his luck to the very end so i'm a little worried with this scenario but hopefully things will pan out.

I respect what you're saying, but "very unlikely" doesn't even cut it.  "Very unlikely" in my mind might mean a 20-30% chance of making the playoffs.  In that situation, you could say things have to fall just right and maybe, just maybe, the Devils could pull it off if the stars align perfectly.

Per mrthemike's post above, the Devils have a 0.2% chance to make the playoffs.  That's as good as mathematically eliminated - I don't care what other teams do or what schedules look like.  There is no way the Devils are going to make the playoffs.  You know, I know it, everyone here knows it.  The only question at this point is whether Lou has accepted it - I think he has, there's no way he's that clueless.  I just don't think acknowledging it is in his best interests at the moment.

I'm pretty confident Lou's actions as the deadline approaches will indicate he doesn't believe this is a playoff team.

I don't disagree with you.  On one hand I think Lou's ideology is admirable in how much he cares about this team and that never-say-die attitude, but from a fan's perspective, we know and see how frustrating it can be when that sometimes clouds his judgment.  The ability to sacrifice one or two seasons and admit failure might be able to build and help the success of a handful of seasons in the future, if not more.

Also, I think the problem with your last sentence is what others have said -- right now is the time when he should be conceding the playoffs and working on getting a return, something, anything, for what little assets we have before it's too late.  The longer he lingers, the slimmer the chances of guys being moved and it having any substantial impact on our "rebuild".  

My main concern is that LL truly beleives that the longer he waits the more he will get, but in reality theese teams might find other option with other teams and then LL gets nothing ...

We're not gonna get anything substantial for Jagr or Zidlicky.  Any prospects we get will be like the ones we already have.  We'll be lucky to get 2nd's for them.  If Lou fails to trade them, it's no reason to step onto the ledge.

I don't disagree with you.  On one hand I think Lou's ideology is admirable in how much he cares about this team and that never-say-die attitude, but from a fan's perspective, we know and see how frustrating it can be when that sometimes clouds his judgment.  The ability to sacrifice one or two seasons and admit failure might be able to build and help the success of a handful of seasons in the future, if not more.

Also, I think the problem with your last sentence is what others have said -- right now is the time when he should be conceding the playoffs and working on getting a return, something, anything, for what little assets we have before it's too late.  The longer he lingers, the slimmer the chances of guys being moved and it having any substantial impact on our "rebuild".  

Lou never said that he's gonna try and make the playoffs.  He said we're still in the fight which is true.  Bottom line is he's not gonna do anything stupid.  He's standing pat, because we're not in any kind of hurry to deal our guys.  We don't gain anything by trading him now or waiting until the deadline.  If an offer comes by that blows him away, there's no doubt he'll take it.

We're not gonna get anything substantial for Jagr or Zidlicky.  Any prospects we get will be like the ones we already have.  We'll be lucky to get 2nd's for them.  If Lou fails to trade them, it's no reason to step onto the ledge.

2nd round pick can end up being very good players!  Elias, Henrique. Merril, Severson, Santioni, and thats not to mention plauers selected in later rounds, BrianGionta, steve sullivan...

2nd round pick can end up being very good players!  Elias, Henrique. Merril, Severson, Santioni, and thats not to mention plauers selected in later rounds, BrianGionta, steve sullivan...

good point hopefully they're  not as bad as some of our recent # 1's, clearly it's a crap shoot.

Edited by titans04

What would it take to get a first rounder from one of the teams trying to make a playoff run?

It would be great to have a top 10 pick to try for Marner or Strome, and then a mid-late first round pick for Rantanen or Svechnikov.

I know some may call me overly optimistic but if we don't get a 1st and a 2nd rounder out of this fire sale that we should be having then I'll be disappointed.

I think if Elias wanted to make another cup run before he retires he could land a decent first. I'm not saying I want to trade him but on the off chance he asks for a trade I wouldnt have a problem with it. I'm over the whole retiring as a Devil thing. If Marty didn't do it who cares?

Say you need money for your mortgage on March 1st... You have no money and your only way of getting money is selling your car.

Well if you're selling it for $5,000... and that someone offer you $3,500 cash one week before march 1st but it's now or never, he's gonna buy another one that day if you don't take the offer... well... do you play safe of take it? or you wait HOPING you'll get a better offer before the deadline, risking not to sell it at all, miss your payment and be fvcked.

I think we all know Lou is the kind to push his luck to the very end so i'm a little worried with this scenario but hopefully things will pan out.

At the same time, taking the first offer you get may mean you're losing value. I sold some stuff on craigslist a while ago and got an offer of $250. I said no and he ended up offering $375. It works both ways.

:doh1: Yes, clearly Lou is thinking this way. He is trying to push his luck and has no idea what he is doing or how to get the most he can for Jagr. He also definitely is not talking to other teams already, and doesn't have offers lined up. Do you really think this simplistically? Or is this all just a joke Sterio? It's not just you either, there is some serious ridiculousness going on in this thread.

I don't know why I like Sterio, but I do. Always have.  :noclue:

Edited by Neb00rs