Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Yeah, Jagr's done.  He's basically saying Oates has it in for him and intimating that he will quit if he's still here after the deadline.

I forgot about that connection before today, and since Jagr's time in Washington was a giant disaster can't say I am shocked. Oates was the leader of that team, and probably was pissed at Jagr that 02-03 season.

Guess cranky moody Jagr was still in there somewhere, although his problem seems to be much more with Oates than the Devils.  I still appreciate what he brought last season.  Guy was so happy here last season...wow did that turn. 

wow, thanks for lowering your trade value Jagr

Wasn't all that high anyway...his numbers are headed the wrong way.  There's GMs who don't see him a lot who are probably assuming that means he's getting old fast. 

wow, thanks for lowering your trade value Jagr

Agreed.  He could have told Lou how pissed he was privately (though I would think Lou knows that by now) at least to not screw him over and lessen his leverage.

I had a feeling Jagr stayed because of Pete.  Looks like that was a lot of the case.  I was thinking before that we could trade him at the deadline this year and then in the off-season we could re-sign him again for another year.  Looks like as long as Oates is still on the bench that is out of the question now.

Guess cranky moody Jagr was still in there somewhere, although his problem seems to be much more with Oates than the Devils.  I still appreciate what he brought last season.  Guy was so happy here last season...wow did that turn. 

Wasn't all that high anyway...his numbers are headed the wrong way.  There's GMs who don't see him a lot who are probably assuming that means he's getting old fast. 

Jagr always seemed to speak highly of Pete.  He was a Pete guy so no surprise here.

I would think there are GM's out there who don't see him a lot but look at last year's numbers and look at his numbers earlier this year and think he might be worth something.  I am not saying he will get a 1st but he could still be worth at least a 2nd to someone or perhaps as a means to unload a bad contract on us.

yea.. if hes traded, it wont be for anything higher than a 3rd, im calling it

This isn't just about being a Pete guy or not a Pete guy. Jagr will go down as the least appreciated Devil ever due to how sh!tty the rest of the team was. The guy had 67 points last year with his common linemates being Zajac and Zubrus. He was by far the team's best forward and deserved every second of his ice-time.

He deserved all of the ice-time he got this season. The points dropped (that was always going to happen), but he was really well. Then a new coach came, he scored 3 goals in the second week, and the ice-time has dropped significantly ever since being passed on the depth chart by pretty much everyone at a point, taken off the PP for the likes of Zubrus and Tootoo, and forced to play on a line that had Mike Cammalleri as his center.

After all that, Jagr is saying how it is. The Devils have 0.2% chance of making the playoffs. It would be irresponsible not to trade Jagr even if he was gushing about the coaching staff and franchise today. 

This isn't just about being a Pete guy or not a Pete guy. Jagr will go down as the least appreciated Devil ever due to how sh!tty the rest of the team was. The guy had 67 points last year with his common linemates being Zajac and Zubrus. He was by far the team's best forward and deserved every second of his ice-time.

He deserved all of the ice-time he got this season. The points dropped (that was always going to happen), but he was really well. Then a new coach came, he scored 3 goals in the second week, and the ice-time has dropped significantly ever since being passed on the depth chart by pretty much everyone at a point, taken off the PP for the likes of Zubrus and Tootoo, and forced to play on a line that had Mike Cammalleri as his center.

After all that, Jagr is saying how it is. The Devils have 0.2% chance of making the playoffs. It would be irresponsible not to trade Jagr even if he was gushing about the coaching staff and franchise today. 

I know Jagr's role has diminished quite a bit since the coaching change, but I really do think he genuinely liked Pete.  I doubt he would have re-signed with the Devils in the summer if he knew Pete would be gone.  Jagr is no spring chicken so why would he waste another year on a team that going into the season was a big question mark if they could make the playoffs when he could have easily signed with another team after the numbers he put up last season on a bad team?

I don't slight Jagr in any way for saying or thinking this way, just wish he would have kept this a little more private.

Starting to see the reason why Jagr still thrives and what the consequences are: If he plays, and plays a lot, he will do well.

If he does't play, and is relegated to a lesser "I'm the man role" and asked to do other things other than offensive production, he isn't as effective.

Jagr will not thrive on teams that give him less than 1st or 2nd line minutes. Bottom line.

I think the least appreciated good Devil was Rafalski but that's just a matter of perception.

Jagr liked Pete yes but Pete also played him first line minutes and treated him like a VIP, so it's a bit of the chicken or the egg scenario. Did he like him primarily cause of the system (which did fit him like a glove) or did he like him cause he was the main guy offensively?

If there really is personal issues with him and Oates Lou should have traded him in early January.

I stand with CR here, I don't think anyone is that desperate for Jagr.

As far as Jagr's comments today: wow. He's not really making sense, and I think it's because he's just not that savvy, but he is trying to air his frustrations with the coaches and team this way.

Jagr has done a lot for this team, and I do not think he has been under-appreciated. Pretty much everyone acknowledges that he was been the best player on this team last year and perhaps for some of this year. No more credit is due. That said, he is being a bit of brat right now. I get it, he is one of the best NHL players ever. So what, right now he is putting himself before the team and he should be more mature than that. Okay maybe he figures doing this will force Lou's hand, but it still doesn't justify insulting your coaches (as much as they probably suck).

After all that, Jagr is saying how it is.

Exactly what is he telling 'how it is'? He mentioned that he knew he would play less with the new coaches. That's like the words of a 15 year old. And his play dropped before his minutes, so.....well you know, he's full of it. Either way you don't say that sh!t. You are just defending him here for the sake of defending him. He's playing with linemates that he doesn't mesh with so now he is justified in speaking out? Oh only if this was Marty everyone on this board would be up in arms. Jagr is a good guy and has been one of our best over the last two years. But now, he is whining and he needs to STFU.

Edited by Neb00rs

Jags definately a lame duck here.  I'm sure Lou wants to accommodate Jags too.  Jagr's agent is out making calls to GM's. All Lou has to do is get a "reasonable" return,

which none of us will likely be happy with.  I think there will be teams barely outside the playoff picture asking for him.  Jags will probably need to "approve" in advance. H'e not going to Calgary, or Winnipeg. 

Exactly what is he telling 'how it is'? He mentioned that he knew he would play less with the new coaches. That's like the words of a 15 year old. And his play dropped before his minutes, so.....well you know, he's full of it. Either way you don't say that sh!t. You are just defending him here for the sake of defending him. He's playing with linemates that he doesn't mesh with so now he is justified in speaking out? Oh only if this was Marty everyone on this board would be up in arms. Jagr is a good guy and has been one of our best over the last two years. But now, he is whining and he needs to STFU.

Sorry for not being clear. What I am referring to is that Jagr is saying how it is regarding the playoffs and his role moving forward. He has to be traded. As Mirtle said on twitter, this is a fire-able offense for a GM not to trade a player like Jagr before the deadline. I'm not getting on him because this is the first time he has spoken out about it. This isn't even comparable to what happened with Brodeur last year, not yet at least. Anyway, this was the comments that I said he's right about.

Jagr: "If I stay here and we're not going to have a chance to playoffs, I don't think I'm going to play at all. And I still like to play."

Jagr:"I love this team, but if it's going to be after the trading deadline & we're going to be (out of contention), it's going to get worse”

Jagr: "You're probably going to play guys who've got a contract next year or young guys. It's understandable, don't you think?"

Jagr thinks Devils have to win 20 of last 22 games to make playoffs.

Edited by devilsrule33

Sorry for not being clear. What I am referring to is that Jagr is saying how it is regarding the playoffs and his role moving forward. He has to be traded. As Mirtle said on twitter, this is a fire-able offense for a GM not to trade a player like Jagr before the deadline. I'm not getting on him because this is the first time he has spoken out about it. This isn't even comparable to what happened with Brodeur last year, not yet at least. Anyway, this was the comments that I said he's right about.

Jagr: "If I stay here and we're not going to have a chance to playoffs, I don't think I'm going to play at all. And I still like to play."

Jagr:"I love this team, but if it's going to be after the trading deadline & we're going to be (out of contention), it's going to get worse”

Jagr: "You're probably going to play guys who've got a contract next year or young guys. It's understandable, don't you think?"

Jagr thinks Devils have to win 20 of last 22 games to make playoffs.

I am not saying it is comparable to Marty's situation: it isn't; Marty was a drag on the team and Jagr is a commodity. However, I am saying that if it was Marty in this situation (and he was an asset) people would be all over him. Though, after clarification I see the comments you are referring to.

I don't have much of a problem with these three quotes you selected, but I still don't think he's right to comment on who is going to be playing or not moving forward. It's just not his place.

For me, Jagr is getting traded unless the Devils win every game up until the deadline, and even then I think he will be traded. I just don't think there is any suspense here but for that we can't see what's going on internally.

Edited by Neb00rs

You knew it would happen eventually with Jagr. Oh well.

I mean, he's been dropped down on the depth chart for Steve Bernier and Jordin Tootoo when his play before didn't warrant the demotion at all. It's puzzling to say the least.

It's the most interesting quotes the Devils beat reporters have gotten all year, but it's a non-story really.

I mean, he's been dropped down on the depth chart for Steve Bernier and Jordin Tootoo when his play before didn't warrant the demotion at all. It's puzzling to say the least.

This is speculation but it could very well have been his in-house/practice attitude that got him demoted.

I dunno. TG asked him the questions, and he answered them. I don't really have a problem with it; I get sick of reading/hearing interviews where the players stick to the same old cliche bullsh!t answers, especially when we fans know full well they're lying. If he had said anything else, we'd all be on here discussing that fact that he didn't really mean what he was saying.

I suppose the timing is bad, but meh. So be it. I agree with others who've said anyone interested in trading for Jagr knows exactly what Jagr brings to the team. I don't think his comments in an interview with TG are going to have a tremendous effect on that. Nobody that's considering aquiring Jagr saw this interview and changed their opinion about his value to their team.

So im curious and it's a serious question

Why is it a fireable offense suddenly to some of you to not trade a 43 year old and missing the playoffs when we are 6-8 pts away from a playoffs spot

But it was completely fine and understandable not trading a 27 years old Clarkson in his prime who just scored 30 and who was on pace for another 30 through a full season, basically at the peak of his top value in his career when we were pretty much 6-8 points away at that time too... and a guy who wanted way too much money... and then miss the playoffs.... 

Edited by SterioDesign

For one thing the Devils were actually in a playoff spot at the deadline in 2013. For another they actually wanted to try to resign him. And Clarkson wasn't marginalized the way Jagr has been. It just makes too much sense not to deal him now.

Well then in a situation like this when you're walking on the edge. Why not approach the player and begin talks during the season to know what the player is looking for or literally sign him? So at least then you have an idea of where youre standing with the guy, and if things doesnt look good for an extension well you KNOW you're gonna lose him and it's helping your decision and you're more likely to trade him knowing you're gonna lose him and if your chances at the cup are not great.

Lou gave up on Clarkson once he started the negotiations cause he wanted too much money. Then signed Clowe to a terrible contract. This could allllllllllllll have went a way better direction if Lou wouldnt be that stuck up and talk to players before the deadline.

You know... like 29 GMs out of 30 does in the NHL... 

Edited by SterioDesign