Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Here we go again. Let's keep waiting for the time that will never come where Lou will say "Our season is done." This is silly. He ain't ever gonna say it. Even if we were 1-45 he would find a spin to put on it. Stop making his quotes on this subject out to be a sign of serious policy issues.

The truth is what the truth is, and what Lou actually thinks of this team remains and will ALWAYS remain internal. As much as that sucks, que sera sera.

Lou traded Zids and Jagr and got a decent return. Isn't that what we all wanted?

Edited by Neb00rs

Disappointing that they couldn't get something for Havlat or Ryder but not very surprising either - Ryder will probably be a camp tryout for someone next year and Havlat's through.

Yeah, would've been nice if they were gone, but it's not a big deal in the grand scheme.  So the Devils won't have extra 6th and 7th round picks.  Just because Lou puts trash on the curb with a "PRACTICALLY FREE!" sign doesn't mean people are eager to take it off his hands.  Havlat and Ryder were last-resort types, but enough bodies were moved that GMs were able to fill their needs without dipping down to the bottom of the barrel.

Don't think Devils helped themselves over the last few weeks. I understand the goal of the new coaching staff is not to maximize their traid bait at the deadline, but they kind of did the opposite.

I'm sure people will disagree, but Jagr could have been worth more under circumstances. When you cut his minutes, and demote him, it scares off other teams, but is Jagr that much worse than he was two years ago or last year? Doubt it.

Ryder, I mean he's been mismanaged for two years in NJ. When you sign Ryder, you have to know what you are getting. Either way, scratching him 16 of 18 games right before the deadline or whatever it was, just makes little sense. Give him some PP time, or some time with Elias and Gomez, you might get a few goals, and some team takes him for depth. But not being able to crack this lineup with so many duds, that's quite a red flag for GMs.

As for the players that did get a chance to play, perhaps Tootoo and Bernier's trade value got bumped, but I wonder if Lou hesitated to trade them. Expect another 1-yr deal for Bernier.

Devils were in tough spot with Ryder...how many chances does a guy get?  Sure, we can say "What the hell do we care, we're not going anywhere anyway, play the guy!"  Lou was walking an impossible tightrope...hold people accountable (which it was seemed like the Devils were trying to do with some of their players), but at what cost?  The funny thing is, if Ryder had kept playing and continuing to do little, you would have had some fans screaming "Jesus, why does this guy get to keep playing?"  I'm not saying Lou is blameless in all of this, but I am saying I don't think there's much he could've done that wouldn't have pissed off some groups of fans. 

Lou can talk all he wants about not waving white flags, but I think if he really felt this team could do something, he keeps Jagr and Zids and adds another piece.  He won't ever admit it, but if the Devils had gone 3-0-0 before the deadline and not 1-1-1, I think he might have considered adding a player.  I get the impression he's kind of reluctantly accepting his team's place in the NHL right now. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

"Oh we got robbed for Zidlicky."  "Why can't we dump more players?"  Sorry folks, but 29 other teams are not garbage pickers.  Getting something of value for two declining players at a combined age of 81 with expiring contracts is not bad.

I'm pretty much done with this board and the usual folks who have completely ruined the experience.   No wonder so many people have left and don't come back.  It's basically just a complain-fest.  Not too mention a good portion of it deals with utterly ridiculous topics (hello, goal song and "you suck" chants).

Lou admitted he had better offers for Zidlicky but 'he had a choice'.  We didn't get more for him because he's garbage, we didn't get more for him cause he wanted to go to Detroit.

Lamoriello hinting that he passed on moving a few players because he isn't giving up on the season. Gomez? Tootoo? What I think he is saying is he'd rather have a better chance of re-signing them next year than grabbing later round picks.

I'd rather he say that for crying out loud, cause that's why I didn't want to trade Tootoo/Gomez.  But to insinuate that you would have traded them if you were out of the race is either a flat lie or the height of delusion.

Even if these guys would've brought back 5th round picks - why the hell would you not move Gomez, Tootoo, Bernier, Havlat..etc..

None of these guys should be in the Devils' long-term plans.  

Doing my best to keep cool here but God Damn it am I tired of Lou-speak.

Even if these guys would've brought back 5th round picks - why the hell would you not move Gomez, Tootoo, Bernier, Havlat..etc..

You can sign Gomez and Tootoo next year though...signing them becomes less likely once they get traded.  I don't really blame them on that.  Clearly Havlat and Ryder were going to get an Anthony Brodeur-like return at best.  So instead of taking 6th and 7ths, Lou went to politico school and is spinning real hard now. 

Right, he is just gonna come out and say, "well there was no interest in our trash and let's get real, we all know there wasn't any chance in hell we were making the playoffs no matter who was or wasn't here."

He just twisted the fact no one wanted our guys into the BS of we still believe.  

In regards to Bernier, Tootoo, Gomez, I hate to say it because they have played well on this debacle of a roster, but in all honesty they are pretty close to being trash themselves.

Certainly one way of looking at (he's not going to admit they're done)  the other way to look at it is the guy is seriously delusional and honestly believes it. Either scenario reflects poorly on him, one he's nuts and/or two there wasn't enough turd polish to make a handful of guys worth anything at all even a low round pick.

Hopefully that doesn't offend the die hard real fans too harshly.

We don't need or want an endless array of 5th to 7th round picks. You also are often better off keeping these types of players around if you plan on signing them the following year. If you trade them, you get little in return and there is a better chance they don't re-sign here.

i'm not crying because we didn't get some 5ths and 6ths for ryder and havlat - its really immaterial to be honest.

the mistake was giving zid an NMC this season. he wanted NJ. i don't think it's something Lou had to cave on but we'll obviously never know.

i'm curious what some of these other "lateral moves" were that lou was looking at.

Havlat and Ryder have been discussed...I think in the end, no GM wanted them, or were simply able to find guys who were better fits.  Ryder and Havlat are gone regardless. 

As for the others...two things:  1) You need some bodies to finish out the season, and 2) One of two of these guys might be here next season.  Lou can get a longer look at them and decide if any of them are worth bringing back. 

It's not sexy or exciting for sure.  But at least Lou took two steps towards the future.  That's something. 

Unless we could get a 3rd/4th rounders for Havlat, Ryder, Gomez, Tootoo, Bernier  (holy hell, no wonder why this team sucks); I'm not getting upset against inaction.

Unlike in 2007 where I was super pissed we didn't trade Gomez;    it's 2015 now... the return isn't there for him, and he actually holds more value in staying.

We got a more than decent return for Jagr, and what we could for Zidlicky (who did us a favor)...  we're sellers who traded the only players contenders were looking to add.

We don't need or want an endless array of 5th to 7th round picks. You also are often better off keeping these types of players around if you plan on signing them the following year. If you trade them, you get little in return and there is a better chance they don't re-sign here.

odds are for those that are hoping to see some of the younger forwards come up from Albany not moving more bodies out will probably limit those opportunities. 

Personally I'm not sure there's much of anything to bring up unless you want to see guys come up based on where they were drafted vs their AHL play.

Either way lots of work to be done and before next season.

Devils were in tough spot with Ryder...how many chances does a guy get?  Sure, we can say "What the hell do we care, we're not going anywhere anyway, play the guy!"  Lou was walking an impossible tightrope...hold people accountable (which it was seemed like the Devils were trying to do with some of their players), but at what cost?  The funny thing is, if Ryder had kept playing and continuing to do little, you would have had some fans screaming "Jesus, why does this guy get to keep playing?"  I'm not saying Lou is blameless in all of this, but I am saying I don't think there's much he could've done that wouldn't have pissed off some groups of fans. 

What chances? The guy was set up to fail. You sign Michael Ryder after a couple of nice seasons playing with Ribeiro, Eriksson, Whitney, and Plekanec -- very good playmakers that help Ryder do what he does best, and then he comes to NJ, and played with Loktionov (who had his own troubles), and that's it.

Look at the players that assisted on Ryder's ES goals in his time here: Boucher, Loktionov, Fayne, Gelinas, Salvador, Sestito (2x), Henrique (3x), Bernier, Volchenkov, Clowe, Brunner, Ruutu, Greene (2x), Larsson, and Elias (1x). You throw Ryder with those group of forwards, and yes he will suck.

Like Tri said, he gets a tryout offer next season, makes the team, then potentially plays with some good players, and scores 20 goals. It's the same thing with a guy like Sykora in 11-12. Is he close to a 20 goal scorer without good amount of PP time and constantly playing with Elias? Not a chance.

Edited by devilsrule33

odds are for those that are hoping to see some of the younger forwards come up from Albany not moving more bodies out will probably limit those opportunities. 

That doesn't matter. If there is a player in the AHL that the Devils want to play, they will call him up and play him.

Don't think Devils helped themselves over the last few weeks. I understand the goal of the new coaching staff is not to maximize their traid bait at the deadline, but they kind of did the opposite.

I'm sure people will disagree, but Jagr could have been worth more under circumstances. When you cut his minutes, and demote him, it scares off other teams, but is Jagr that much worse than he was two years ago or last year? Doubt it.

Ryder, I mean he's been mismanaged for two years in NJ. When you sign Ryder, you have to know what you are getting. Either way, scratching him 16 of 18 games right before the deadline or whatever it was, just makes little sense. Give him some PP time, or some time with Elias and Gomez, you might get a few goals, and some team takes him for depth. But not being able to crack this lineup with so many duds, that's quite a red flag for GMs.

Really good point, tough to trade players that a piss poor team Like Nj wont even play!

Per TG

Lamoriello said if he was giving up on this season you would have seen "several other players" moved today.

We need a NEW GM NOW!!!  LL is a JOKE!

Sucks that you couldn't get assets but hard to Fault Lou for not being able to convince someone that our turds aren't turds.

No cannot fault LL for not being able to put lipstick on a Pig, but can fault LL for siging the Pigs to begin with!!!

Really guys? Really?

TG: Lou are you giving up on the season yet?

Lou: Yes I am. 

I mean, wtf? Is that what you expect? The guy got rid of the two players we needed to get something back for.

Edited by Neb00rs

What chances? The guy was set up to fail. You sign Michael Ryder after a couple of nice seasons playing with Ribeiro, Eriksson, Whitney, and Plekanec -- very good playmakers that help Ryder do what he does best, and then he comes to NJ, and played with Loktionov (who had his own troubles), and that's it.

Look at the players that assisted on Ryder's ES goals in his time here: Boucher, Loktionov, Fayne, Gelinas, Salvador, Sestito (2x), Henrique (3x), Bernier, Volchenkov, Clowe, Greene, Brunner, Ruutu, Greene, Larsson, and Elias (1x). You throw Ryder with those group of forwards, and yes he will suck.

Like Tri said, he gets a tryout offer next season, makes the team, then potentially plays with some good players, and scores 20 goals. It's the same thing with a guy like Sykora in 11-12. Is he close to a 20 goal scorer without good amount of PP time and constantly playing with Elias? Not a chance.

Sounds like you're saying bringing Ryder here was a mistake to begin with then.  He's not so great that the Devils should've been bending over backwards to try to squeeze 20-25 goals out of him.  If you want to say the situation wasn't ideal for him here, I can understand that, but I can't make it sound like he was just purely a victim of circumstances either...especially since he played in all 82 games last season and got decent ice-time to boot.  But none of this matters anymore...it didn't work out and it will be better for both the Devils and Ryder to part ways.  Too bad it couldn't happen at the deadline.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The problem is at this point I think Lou believes his own bs.  That in his mind he sees it as he's getting Severson back so replace Zidlicky with Severson, replace Jagr with Havlat/Ryder and the team isn't really much different and he gets three picks out of it and doesn't 'give up' this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The problem is at this point I think Lou believes his own bs.  That in his mind he sees it as he's getting Severson back so replace Zidlicky with Severson, replace Jagr with Havlat/Ryder and the team isn't really much different and he gets three picks out of it and doesn't 'give up' this year.

The team will give up this year on its own very quickly.  Most of March and April is a buzzsaw.  Lots of playoff and playoff-hopeful teams who need wins and will be looking to get two points against "easier" teams like the Devils. 

And yeah, the biggest issue with the 'hate Lou no matter what' crowd is that they stand around pretending like Lou has no ability to see the obvious things that they see. Even though he just traded away two of our best players and added no one. Yeah, he is totally making a playoff push.

I know he beleives it, thats why he MUST go, he has lost touch w reality!!

Sounds like you're saying bringing Ryder here was a mistake to begin with then.  He's not so great that the Devils should've been bending over backwards to try to squeeze 20-25 goals out of him.  If you want to say the situation wasn't ideal for him here, I can understand that, but I can't make it sound like he was just purely a victim of circumstances either...especially since he played in all 82 games last season and got decent ice-time to boot.  But none of this matters anymore...it didn't work out and it will be better for both the Devils and Ryder to part ways.  Too bad it couldn't happen at the deadline.

I'm not saying that. With the Devils forwards, getting 20-25 goals is crucial. Considering Elias played a lot with Zubrus, Brunner, and Havlat during Ryder's time here, and currently have Elias with Zubrus and Gionta in practice, I'm of the belief they missed the boat with Ryder.

People here are fools. What do you expect Lou to say - "Yes, Tom, today we have effectively given up on the season." What a message to send to the team, fans, and to the organization as a whole. 

Can't disagree with this. Lou is the public face of a business right now. It's OBVIOUS he's given up on this season in terms of playoffs by trading Jagr and Zidlicky. He can't say that publicly. "Yea, we're done this season, we're sh!t". They're still a business that have multiple home games to sell tickets for.

Personally, I think Lou deserves plenty of flak for the overall makeup of this team right now along with Conte, but I am finding it extremely hard to get on him about this trade deadline. We don't have assets that teams want. Who gives a crap if we didn't get a 4th or 5th rounder for Havlat or Ryder? There might have been no interest. We got what we could for Zidlicky b/c of his contract. IMO Lou did very well with the Jagr return. It is what it is with this team right now.