Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

What chances? The guy was set up to fail. You sign Michael Ryder after a couple of nice seasons playing with Ribeiro, Eriksson, Whitney, and Plekanec -- very good playmakers that help Ryder do what he does best, and then he comes to NJ, and played with Loktionov (who had his own troubles), and that's it.

Look at the players that assisted on Ryder's ES goals in his time here: Boucher, Loktionov, Fayne, Gelinas, Salvador, Sestito (2x), Henrique (3x), Bernier, Volchenkov, Clowe, Greene, Brunner, Ruutu, Greene, Larsson, and Elias (1x). You throw Ryder with those group of forwards, and yes he will suck.

Like Tri said, he gets a tryout offer next season, makes the team, then potentially plays with some good players, and scores 20 goals. It's the same thing with a guy like Sykora in 11-12. Is he close to a 20 goal scorer without good amount of PP time and constantly playing with Elias? Not a chance.

Sounds like you're saying bringing Ryder here was a mistake to begin with then.  He's not so great that the Devils should've been bending over backwards to try to squeeze 20-25 goals out of him.  If you want to say the situation wasn't ideal for him here, I can understand that, but I can't make it sound like he was just purely a victim of circumstances either...especially since he played in all 82 games last season and got decent ice-time to boot.  But none of this matters anymore...it didn't work out and it will be better for both the Devils and Ryder to part ways.  Too bad it couldn't happen at the deadline.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The problem is at this point I think Lou believes his own bs.  That in his mind he sees it as he's getting Severson back so replace Zidlicky with Severson, replace Jagr with Havlat/Ryder and the team isn't really much different and he gets three picks out of it and doesn't 'give up' this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The problem is at this point I think Lou believes his own bs.  That in his mind he sees it as he's getting Severson back so replace Zidlicky with Severson, replace Jagr with Havlat/Ryder and the team isn't really much different and he gets three picks out of it and doesn't 'give up' this year.

The team will give up this year on its own very quickly.  Most of March and April is a buzzsaw.  Lots of playoff and playoff-hopeful teams who need wins and will be looking to get two points against "easier" teams like the Devils. 

And yeah, the biggest issue with the 'hate Lou no matter what' crowd is that they stand around pretending like Lou has no ability to see the obvious things that they see. Even though he just traded away two of our best players and added no one. Yeah, he is totally making a playoff push.

I know he beleives it, thats why he MUST go, he has lost touch w reality!!

Sounds like you're saying bringing Ryder here was a mistake to begin with then.  He's not so great that the Devils should've been bending over backwards to try to squeeze 20-25 goals out of him.  If you want to say the situation wasn't ideal for him here, I can understand that, but I can't make it sound like he was just purely a victim of circumstances either...especially since he played in all 82 games last season and got decent ice-time to boot.  But none of this matters anymore...it didn't work out and it will be better for both the Devils and Ryder to part ways.  Too bad it couldn't happen at the deadline.

I'm not saying that. With the Devils forwards, getting 20-25 goals is crucial. Considering Elias played a lot with Zubrus, Brunner, and Havlat during Ryder's time here, and currently have Elias with Zubrus and Gionta in practice, I'm of the belief they missed the boat with Ryder.

People here are fools. What do you expect Lou to say - "Yes, Tom, today we have effectively given up on the season." What a message to send to the team, fans, and to the organization as a whole. 

Can't disagree with this. Lou is the public face of a business right now. It's OBVIOUS he's given up on this season in terms of playoffs by trading Jagr and Zidlicky. He can't say that publicly. "Yea, we're done this season, we're sh!t". They're still a business that have multiple home games to sell tickets for.

Personally, I think Lou deserves plenty of flak for the overall makeup of this team right now along with Conte, but I am finding it extremely hard to get on him about this trade deadline. We don't have assets that teams want. Who gives a crap if we didn't get a 4th or 5th rounder for Havlat or Ryder? There might have been no interest. We got what we could for Zidlicky b/c of his contract. IMO Lou did very well with the Jagr return. It is what it is with this team right now. 

Well what is Shanahan/Nonis saying to the media in Toronto you think? Or in Arizona or any team that is not quite there? Honest question. 

Again it's not as if people don't understand the business talk.

But again, at this point it's insulting people's intelligence. This feels like you have kids that are 14 years old now and you're still there dressed up as santa on christmas and as much they are telling you "Dad come on! cut the crap, i know it's you, get that fake beard off" and you get "Ho ho hoooooo, what are you talking about little Jimmy! Have you been good this yearrr? ho ho hoooo"

It's a bit sily. No one in the whole world thinks they have a shot, not the fans, not the players, not their moms. No one.  Cut the crap if REALLY it's only sweet talking. 

and the "message" that should be sent to the players is "Boys i know things are not great right now but we're gonna make the necessary steps to make this team better, so work with me here and be patient" 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Players knows damn well what they are into.

That being said im okay with today, there's not much we could have done really and at least things were done.

Edited by SterioDesign

Well what is Shanahan saying to the media in Toronto you think? Honest question. 

He doesn't have to say anything. Nonis is the one making the deals. The Toronto market know the Leafs are blowing everything up and Nonis got a huge break by being able to get out from under Clarkson. They'll move Phaneuf and Kessel over the summer when its easier to move big pieces like them.

I think Lou, as opposed to Buffalo, thinks we have some pieces here and if he thinks he wants to resign them in the offseason, then he won't trade them. Not sure how I feel about. I am annoyed we didn't unload more guys. Ryder should have been moved, Jokinen got a condition 6th - Ryder couldn't fetch that? I don't know. 

I guess I can't be too disappointed. The Devils' deadline deals have been particularly underwhelming for the last few seasons.

I just don't like how indecisive the trades for us were. Lou seems to think we might not make the playoffs so he trades, but not too much, because there's still a snowball's chance we make the playoffs? That's what I gather.

I mean, is the team really THAT much worse than it was 4 days ago? Jagr of course is still a top 6 forward, but I think Severson is easily better than Zidlicky. So if you wanted to see NJ dismantle their roster and move guys like Gomez, Ryder, Bernier and Havlat, well, that didnt happen

On a side note, I'm excited to see Severson in the Zidlicky role on the PP. He never got to use the one-timer because Zidlicky had the prime scoring areas covered

Tell me, in your eyes, what could Lou have done today that would have satisfied you (trades or statements)?

How about this he's going to miss the playoffs for the third year in a row.  Two of the better forwards game in and game out couldn't get an NHL job to start the season (Gomez and Bernier) throw a marginal guy like Tootoo into the mix in that regard. Yes there are some solid pieces on D and Cory has been unbelievable. Camm has been good, Ryder and Havlat are busts and they have nothing much to speak of in the minors forward wise. Hell if you turn the clock back far enough Sather won a bunch of cups too.

Personally I think the mentality of interchangeable parts doesn't cut it these days.

Spoiled fan base, sure I guess but this team without Cory is flat out unwatchable unless you enjoy offensively challenged train wrecks.

Interesting to hear Lou be forthright about using those picks to improve the team in the coming months - I don't know how much can be done on that score.  I'm going to count Gomez, Bernier, and Tootoo as signed for next year (and Zubrus not), so that leaves the team as something like:

Cammalleri-Zajac-?

Henrique-Elias-?

Ruutu-Gomez-Bernier

Matteau-Gionta-Tootoo

Greene-Larsson

Merrill-Severson

Gelinas-?

That's pretty dire all around.  A center is really needed and they need to clear out a LW somewhere along the way.

Interesting to hear Lou be forthright about using those picks to improve the team in the coming months - I don't know how much can be done on that score. I'm going to count Gomez, Bernier, and Tootoo as signed for next year (and Zubrus not), so that leaves the team as something like:

Cammalleri-Zajac-?

Henrique-Elias-?

Ruutu-Gomez-Bernier

Matteau-Gionta-Tootoo

Greene-Larsson

Merrill-Severson

Gelinas-?

That's pretty dire all around. A center is really needed and they need to clear out a LW somewhere along the way.

I see gelly being traded and another kid being called up, a veteran to go along side, then idk what he wants to do with the right wing situation

Interesting to hear Lou be forthright about using those picks to improve the team in the coming months - I don't know how much can be done on that score. I'm going to count Gomez, Bernier, and Tootoo as signed for next year (and Zubrus not), so that leaves the team as something like:

Cammalleri-Zajac-?

Henrique-Elias-?

Ruutu-Gomez-Bernier

Matteau-Gionta-Tootoo

Greene-Larsson

Merrill-Severson

Gelinas-?

That's pretty dire all around. A center is really needed and they need to clear out a LW somewhere along the way.

Maybe a deal centered on the 1st (assuming we pick in the 7-12 range) for O'Reilly? Risky though, I'd need a signed extension or at least a reasonable assurance that we can lock ROR up long term if we made such a deal.