New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Six up, six down...I heart Harvey

3 Ks for Harvey too.

Syndergaard pitching now.  1-2-3 third with a K.

I saw that Altar Boy got hit by a pitch and was replaced by Tejada in the field...did he get hurt? 

Much tougher 4th inning for Syndergaard...two hits, two runs, and two BB. 

Familia with a throwing error...I can't see it, so I don't know how bad it was, but it's scary how bad this guy is at playing his position.  He's almost like a guy with untreated dyslexia who somehow graduated high school...how did this guy get to the majors without being able to friggin' field?!  At least he picked off a runner...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I only listened to the first few innings on radio...it was dissapointing to hear Syndergaard blow up but part of that was Cuddyer mishandling a pickoff play at first (why is this guy even playing at first, he's supposed to be our LF?)

Apparently Murphy has a bruise and it isn't believed to be serious.  Have no idea what happened with Familia.  Matt Reynolds hit a walkoff HR lol

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm guessing Cuddyer might get a shot to back up at 1B on days Duda gets a rest (Mike has played in 265 games at 1B).  Saves the Mets from having to carry a guy like Satin. 

I was worried they might be more worried about Duda than letting on but yeah that makes sense.  I'm not really into the nitty-gritty of roster construction atm so I just figured they'd be carrying a backup corner infielder that can play first/third.

And then there's this:

Terry Collins estimated Lucas Duda will take batting practice Monday and play in a game for the first time next Friday.

Hopefully that's the case.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm actually really psyched up for this season...just very hopeful.  Can't remember the last time I felt like this, even with Sandy doing as little as he could to give us something to rally around.  It just feels like this team is ready to burst, behind the good arms.

You couldn't not watch/listen to the first two innings and not have optomism...it was a storybook two innings for what it represented.

Of course they still have to hit some...in that vein seemed like Lagares had a nice game with a hit and working out a walk from behind in the count.  Having him be a semi-decent leadoff hitter would help though the power guys certainly have to step up too.

I know Wright is trying to be a leader, which is fine, but I don't think he has it in him, or that any of it comes naturally. I think the whole Syndegaard incident was him trying really hard to be something he's not...I give him credit for trying, I really do, but this is never going to be David.

I think this needs to be Harvey's team...he just has the swagger that Wright never will. deGrom has it too. If Wright ever did have it, it was beaten out of him by all of the losing (which he was definitely a part of). The new arms haven't been contaminated...that's why I want to see the identity of Mets built around them, and David reduced to the complementary background player he really is.

Eddie C was on the WFAN this morning...said the general feeling around the Mets was that Steven Matz has moved a bit ahead of Syndergaard. Still obviously very early in spring. And the feeling is that Noah is a good guy who just needs to grow up a little, and is not a problem kid at all.

Re: Gee...yeah, seems like there simply isn't a place for him here. Curious to see what Texas would offer. I'm thinking either a solid middle reliever or 4th OF-type would be all the Mets should really hope for. Gee's not an innings guy and the sabes don't favor him either. And he has an injury history.

This Matz kid sort of came out of nowhere (well probably not nowhere to the hardcore minors followers) but to me it's astounding how all we've heard for 2 years is "Wait till you see Thor" and Steve Matz has now passed him

Looking up and down the Rangers roster, there's not really much I want. They have a spare outfielder named Michael Choice. 25, has power, strikes out a ton though. But they probably don't want to give up on him so soon

This Matz kid sort of came out of nowhere (well probably not nowhere to the hardcore minors followers) but to me it's astounding how all we've heard for 2 years is "Wait till you see Thor" and Steve Matz has now passed him

His development was delayed due to injuries early on. I started hearing about him late in the 2013 season, and have been following him ever since (along with everyone else I posted info on last season).

I think this is a big season for Noah...if he doesn't find a way to pitch for the big club this year, you're going to hear the first "What's up with this kid?" doubters. He's been pretty much treated like a can't-miss type to this point (or as much as someone can).

It was the same with DeGrom last year for that matter.  He came from nowhere and rocketed into a legit replacement for Harvey.  Funny how he's still flying under the radar now cause Harvey's back.

Edited by NJDevs4978

nmig actually expected more out of deGrom than anyone else here, though no one expected what he did last year. He's a bit older than the other names...and of course, his path has been different, in that he was a position player who was converted to a pitcher.

BTW Matz pitched two scoreless innings in the other game today, against the Marlins...only baserunner came on a HBP. He struck out two.

Also in that second game, Gee pitched 2.2 innings in relief (and did the job), and Leathersich was awful (1/3 IP, 5 runs. 3 BB). That's 5 BB allowed by Leathersich in 1.1 innings so far, which has always been his problem. He also has yet to show he can be effective above AA...his Vegas numbers have not been good at all. He's definitely reaching the "May not put it all together" stage in his career.

Zack Wheeler with an awful game today:  1.2 HP, 4 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 2 HBP, 3 K. 

It's just an early spring training game so I don't want to make too much of it, but at the same time the fact that it's Zack makes it mildly concerning.  When is he going to stop having games where he doesn't seem to know where the ball's going? 

FWIW, here's Zack's take on it:

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2015/03/mets_zack_wheeler_stumbles_against_miami_marlins_b.html

Also a little disconcerting that he had a strong first inning, then fizzled.  He's done that more than once in his major-league career as well. 

Now Josh Edgin has elbow discomfort, wonderful. Pretty soon either John Franco or Jesse Orosco is coming out of retirement cause the Mets are already short on LH relievers as it is.

Yeah, not many lefties on the Mets' 40-man outside of Edgin.  Here's who's on it right now (not counting Matz or Niese as they're locked into being starters):

Dario Alvarez:  Big numbers as an overage player in A-ball.  Already 26 years old. 

Sean Gilmartin:  Meh-ish minor league starter.

Jack Leathersich:  Can't keep talking about his promise if he can't throw strikes and start getting AAA hitters out...I don't care how many AA hitters he Ks.

When I hear elbow discomfort I immediately think it's gonna be surgery and bye bye 2015 for Edgin

I think they'll probably wait it out and see if somebody cuts a lefty during ST...but then again they are something of a prized commodity so I wouldn't count on anybody of quality being let go

We have a chip in Gee. Ultimately he may be the one we sell off for a left reliever. We play in a division with Bryce Harper and Freddie Freeman...ya need the lefty.

Yeah, not many lefties on the Mets' 40-man outside of Edgin. Here's who's on it right now (not counting Matz or Niese as they're locked into being starters):

Dario Alvarez: Big numbers as an overage player in A-ball. Already 26 years old.

Sean Gilmartin: Meh-ish minor league starter.

Jack Leathersich: Can't keep talking about his promise if he can't throw strikes and start getting AAA hitters out...I don't care how many AA hitters he Ks.

Honestly I wouldn't put it past Terry to want Matz for the pen now, especially with his own job on the line. Just like when Jerry Manuel rushed a green Mejia to the bigs a few years back and converted him to the pen on the fly.

Honestly I wouldn't put it past Terry to want Matz for the pen now, especially with his own job on the line. Just like when Jerry Manuel rushed a green Mejia to the bigs a few years back and converted him to the pen on the fly.

Sandy might overrule him on Matz. The Mets seem to be very high on him as a starting pitcher, and probably don't want to screw with his development. It's not like it's unheard of for young guys to start their MLB careers in the pen though. The big question is do the Mets think he's ready? He hasn't seen AAA ball yet.

Colon starting today...Colon is Colon, nothing really to make of anything he does...he is what he is (he'll give you 30 or so starts, 20 or so QS and seven or so where he gets shelled), and is a vet just getting some work in.  Flores at SS, Lagares in CF, Herrera at 2B, d'Arnaud catching.  Not much else of note, though I don't know who is pitching in relief of Colon.

Didn't take long for the Mets to debunk the Matz speculation so that's good at least.

As much as I hate pitching prospects having to suffer through Vegas and the PCL before coming here...I'd much rather see Matz get starter's innings there than reliever innings here.