New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Keith is really emotional...you can really see it on his face and hear it in his voice.

And Keith and Gary are right about Omar...he may not have been the right guy to still be the GM, but he had a lot to do with where this team is now.

Yeah Omar had a big hand really in all the best Met teams of the last fifteen years since the Bobby V era crested in the 2000 WS. He's definitely a good amateur scout and seemed to legit care about the team and the fans. Ironically his biggest fault as a GM was being reckless and too loyal in certain cases while Sandy until July was the complete opposite and took no risks at all.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Omar let race interfere with his decisions too...not all of the time of course, but he seemed to be far too concerned with being a Latino GM...sometimes it seemed like his priorities lied in the wrong areas.

What's interesting is that this 2015 team clearly has players with very different backgrounds, but you never hear about it being divisive. Seemed like that was an issue with some of Omar's teams.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Thanks MD2020 and D21...feels like I've been waiting forever for this. There were times earlier this season that it felt like another "Wait 'till next year" campaign was in the works.

Dodgers lose again to the Rockies. Mets now up 1/2 game in the race for home field.

Joyous occasion. Really kind of surprised how subdued it was on the field, suppose it would've been a lot wilder had it been a home walkoff win or something, but they had their chance at that and bungled it. The locker room stuff was a blast. Nice to finally see the guys cut loose and celebrate their tremendous accomplishment this year

Terry Collins finally gets to manage in the postseason, and while I'm sure he'll screw something up and we'll be yelling and screaming about him in 2-3 weeks, in the here and now, he's on cloud 9 and can bask in this a bit. Happy for him. And David Wright. Again like with Terry, whatever happens happens but right now all is well, and a guy who maybe thought his career was finished a few months ago clubbed a mammoth 3 run HR and celebrated with some champagne.

Even happy for Parnell, leader of the loser brigade...he's had some stretches of pitching well for us, now long forgotten, during some lost seasons.

The next 7 games are not meaningless as we jockey for position with the Dodgers, but Terry will likely be taking his foot off the gas some. Eric Campball, Eric Young Jr. Recker behind the plate, Nieuwenhuis. Gonna see a lot of them going forward

I personally feel like I've gotten some closure from 2007. Almost like today we're drinking that 2007 champagne finally.

Edited by '7'

Awesome '7', I actually saw the resemblance much earlier, but didn't bring it up until today.

Re: another member of the Losers' Brigade...I have to give some credit to Jon Niese. We all know the traits and weaknesses has that can drive us all crazy: the general inability to put it all together for a full season, the big innings that have seemingly plagued him forever, his appearing fragile both physically and mentally, the awful on-the-mound body language, etc.

BUT...think about what must be going through his mind right now. He's a guy who's had to slog his way through a slew of losing seasons (and he's been a part of that, no question, but he's had some good runs in that time as well). He's wanted to see this all turn around as much as anyone who's been here through the mediocrity and general irrelevance. And now, just like that, he's about to see his spot in the rotation come playoff time taken by a kid in Matz who's been here the equivalent of five minutes.

It's the right move and I'm not debating that...Matz has electric stuff and massive upside, and it's really hard to trust Niese in a big spot. But give kudos to Niese for simply saying "I'll do whatever is asked of me, no questions asked." Having a team-first attitude and not making this even remotely controversial shouldn't be under-appreciated by anyone. Hope he can provide a Sid Fernandez playoff circa 1986 moment or two. Best of luck to you Jon.

Gotta love when the B-team picks up where the A-team left off. Mets will be either one or two full games up on the Dodgers after tomorrow night. Obviously still way too early to call this one. Hope the Mets can keep whupping on the Phils.

Nats have to get Papelbon off that team...he's been nothing but poison for a group that clearly can't overcome a guy like him. I've always liked his ability, but I think Rizzo's gotta get canned...the Nats didn't need a closer, and Papelbon was clearly a risk.

Papelbon should be sent home immediately for the rest of the season. Yea Harper is a douche too but seriously why the hell are you getting in the face of the franchise for not running out a pop fly in a meaningless game? Things have just boiled over their and a complete offseason reboot is needed.

For all of Niese's sulking and moodiness on the mound (and the innings that become unglued when 1 pitch he wanted doesn't get called and next thing we know 5 Padre runs are on the board) I'll give Niese credit he does work hard, he does care, he's a standup guy in the locker room after rough outings. He first came up in 2008 just as collapse V.2 was getting underway (like Murph) so he's seen very little in terms of meaningful baseball and other than his petulance on the mound, we've heard zilch from him regarding everything else that's gone on from 2009 until now with this franchise...and there has been a lot to complain about. Unlike Gee, Niese is accepting of his role and will be willing to contribute in any which way come October

Re:  Papelbon...even if he had a point, he was definitely not the right guy to send the message...he hasn't exactly been lights-out since going to the Nats. 

As for Harper, I think it's a joke that he could win the MVP.  He's only going to get it because of some gaudy numbers, but when the Nats really needed him to perform against the team they were chasing...damned near nothing.  It's definitely debatable, and I'm sure there's some great cases that can be made for him winning, but there's just something about him that doesn't scream "MVP" to me.

Not sure how much home field means to the Dodgers, but right now Grienke and Kershaw are scheduled to pitch two more games:  tonight and tomorrow, and on 10/3 and 10/4.  The Dodgers can pull this off if they want to (two more starts each down the stretch) because the NLDS (both of them) don't begin until 10/9.  Good news is that if the teams finish with identical records, the Mets own the tiebreaker...so you can add one game onto whatever lead the Mets own at the moment. 

So if the Mets split their remaining six games and finish with 92 wins, Dodgers have to go 5-2 to finish with 93 and ahead of the Mets.  Obviously considering that the Phillies could lose 100 games and the Nats could free-fall their way to under .500, you'd like to think the Mets could win at least four out of those six games, but they've won 24 out of 29 on the road (?!)...it wouldn't surprise if the Mets finally stumbled in their road series against the Phils.  And I could even see the Nats being somewhat surprising by winning two of three...the good news is even 2-4 in their final six means the Dodgers have to at least play winning ball to take home field.  Mets are about in as good of a position as could be expected, considering where they were on July 24.

Check this out...this shows where the teams stood on 7/24 (Mets were 49-48 and had been outscored by 20 runs), and how all of the teams have played since.  It hasn't been fully updated yet (yesterday's games aren't part of this), but it really shows the insane number of games the Mets have made up on so many NL opponents.  Once it's updated, the standings will show a 12.5-game lead on the Nats from 7/25 on, and an 8-game lead on the Dodgers over the same period.  Pretty impressive stuff.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?year=2015&month=7&day=24&submit=Submit+Date

Nats not fvcking around...Papelbon suspended four games.  I think Harper being punished (benched for one game) is unfair though...regardless of what he said, Papelbon was clearly the one who made it physical:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13762806/jonathan-papelbon-suspended-4-games-washington-nationals-fight-bryce-harper

He's signed through next year...wouldn't surprise me much if the Nats were willing eat roughly half his salary to get him off the team.  They probably still won't find a taker for him. 

Vis-a-vis Papelbon he already had a three-game suspension coming for that whole mess with Machado earlier in the week so he basically gets to go home the last week of the season. And Harper's 'suspension' is more or less a planned day off, though ironically the day off should have come Sunday and maybe this mess doesn't happen in the first place.  Or maybe it was inevitable after Harper already called out Papelbon for needlessly plunking Machado and whined about how he'd be the next one hit.

So as not to jinx Scherzer's no-hit bid, no one will speak to him or choke him in the Nationals' dugout.

:giggle: 

Edited by NJDevs4978

Check this out...this shows where the teams stood on 7/24 (Mets were 49-48 and had been outscored by 20 runs), and how all of the teams have played since.  It hasn't been fully updated yet (yesterday's games aren't part of this), but it really shows the insane number of games the Mets have made up on so many NL opponents.  Once it's updated, the standings will show a 12.5-game lead on the Nats from 7/25 on, and an 8-game lead on the Dodgers over the same period.  Pretty impressive stuff.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?year=2015&month=7&day=24&submit=Submit+Date

I remember still being three behind the Nats when we had the first of our two series with them after that terrible San Diego game and the Gomez trade fiasco where it looked like the sky really was falling.  To a degree I feel like 'wow I was there when this whole stretch drive started' with the Flores HR and the first of what would be six straight wins over the Nats.  Really that's where the division was decided, the 6-0 against the ex-big bully on the block.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Really have to give Sandy credit for the "recovery" trade of Cespedes. If he had done either nothing or something much smaller-scale after the Gomez fiasco, I don't know if the fans ever would've forgiven him or the franchise. Even with all of the pitching talent that still would've been here, some of the fans would've gone into "That's the last straw" mode. Once the Gomez deal fell apart, it was as though Sandy had little choice but to push all of chips for the center of the table for 2015. And he did...as far as the next wave of young arms go (bye bye Fulmer), there's not much that's going to help anytime soon. But no one gives a crap about 2018 and beyond at the moment...this team in firmly entrenched in 2015 and it ain't about next year no more.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Thanks to the Dodgers going ice-cold at the wrong time, the Mets suddenly have a 2-game lead (really 3-game with the Mets having the tiebreaker) on the Dodgers.  If the Mets win four out of their remaining six games, then there's nothing the Dodgers can do.  Never want to speak too soon, but as long as the Mets don't fall apart against two teams that are pretty much dead (Phils are 9-23 in their last 32 GP, and we know what the Nats are), home field should be theirs...just a quick glance at what the Mets need to do to secure homefield, based on what the Dodgers do:

Dodgers go 6-0, Mets need to go 4-2

Dodgers go 5-1, Mets need to go 3-3

Dodgers go 4-2, Mets need to go 2-4

Dodgers go 3-3, Mets need to go 1-5

Only thing is now, there could be potential rainout complications this week with games that don't get made up, complications both with home field and guys getting rusty.

Now I just realized Game 1 of the NLDS is the night of the Devils season opener at home :rant:

Edited by NJDevs4978

Crazy as it sounds, the Devils are barely on my radar right now. That will definitely change, but right now for me it's all about the Mets. I'm so excited about this team being back in the playoffs.

Think there is some crappy weather coming...yeah, could get a little complicated with rainouts.

The Devils season is rapidly approaching and honestly I had no idea how really close it was. Just this morning I was like "hmmm yea isn't hockey starting in like 3 weeks or something?" I was shocked to find out the first Devils game is only like 10 days away.

That said the Devils opening night attendance will suffer. Any Devils fans that's also a Mets fan will not be anywhere near hockey that day.

Edited by '7'

The Devils season is rapidly approaching and honestly I had no idea how really close it was. Just this morning I was like "hmmm yea isn't hockey starting in like 3 weeks or something?" I was shocked to find out the first Devils game is only like 10 days away.

That said the Devils opening night attendance will suffer. Any Devils fans that's also a Mets fan will not be anywhere near hockey that day.

I sort of have to go, my friend is more into hockey than baseball (she's a Yankee fan anyway lol) and we'd planned on going in advance. If it was just me I'd peace out of going. TiVo is probably not going to work either since they'll no doubt update the score at the Rock.

But in general yeah that's gonna destroy attendance for the Devils opener

Edited by NJDevs4978

I sort of have to go, my friend is more into hockey than baseball (she's a Yankee fan anyway lol) and we'd planned on going in advance. If it was just me I'd peace out of going. TiVo is probably not going to work either since they'll no doubt update the score at the Rock.

But in general yeah that's gonna destroy attendance for the Devils opener

It'll be even worse due to early projections.  No one is expecting the Devils to be playoff contenders.  There will be a lot of "wait and seers" among the Devil fanbase I'm sure, as far as ticket-buying goes. 

And another thing I just thought of, what if the Yankees win the one-game playoff? Would Mets/Dodgers get prime time on Friday or Yankees/Jays-Royals?

Fair question.  I'd have to guess Mets/Dodgers due to the two top markets being involved.  And like the Yankees, the Dodgers have universal appeal (I don't kid myself about the Mets...they don't, but they do play in the #1 market).