New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Reed gave no indication of this kind of meltdown before today and it wouldn't have been easy for anyone to come in with that torrid storm brewing.

What exactly was the point of taking Colon out anyway once the game got tied? I thought he was supposed to be a length guy?

I don't get the Colon thing either. Reed hasn't dominated anything. He's been susceptible quite a few of the times he been out there. Clippard was great until he got hurt. Now, he's a crapshoot. Familia is all we can really rely on. Edited by capo

I don't get the Colon thing either. Reed hasn't dominated anything. He's been susceptible quite a few of the times he been out there. Clippard was great until he got hurt. Now, he's a crapshoot. Familia is all we can really rely on.

When was Reed suceptible?  He gave up two runs - TWO in 15.1 innings as a Met before tonight, both of them in one meaningless outing the last weekend of the season.  His WHIP was barely a hair over 1 as a Met.

I forgot about Robles he's actually our 2nd most reliable arm out there. He probably should have got the ball in the 7th. I take back my TC understanding. fvcker

If there's ONE guy I worry about emotionally melting down in a big spot it's Robles.

Oh well...I would've signed up for a split in these two games in a heartbeat. Hope Harvey pitches a terrific game on Monday.

I haven't been this peeved off since Game 4 against Carolina in 2009 and honestly this one's worse cause it doesn't just involve a questionable call, it was a bad call AND an injury.

This is the infuriating part.

Mets need to get enraged and rally around Tejada. Utleys slide was not only reckless and dirty, but it wasn't a "hard baseball play" it was illegal and should've warranted him being called out. And in fact HE WAS called out but then on a play that shouldn't even be challenged they overturned it without A SHRED of any conclusive evidence. You tell me they could see for sure Tejada didn't toe tap that bag? BS. Utter BS. Inning should've been over at 2-2 but the Dodgers got 4 outs to play with. This game was absolutely ripped out of our hands by the MLB clown committee and Terry Collins who will always stay with a pitcher 1 or 2 inning longer than he should

Wright and d'Arnaud had atrocious games. Just atrocious

Ok Matt the ball is yours, the stage is yours. We're facing stinkin Brett Anderson at home. Go out there and shut them down and put 99 between Utleys eyes. This is the moment you've been waiting for.

Mets need to get enraged and rally around Tejada. Utleys slide was not only reckless and dirty, but it wasn't a "hard baseball play" it was illegal and should've warranted him being called out. And in fact HE WAS called out but then on a play that shouldn't even be challenged they overturned it without A SHRED of any conclusive evidence. You tell me they could see for sure Tejada didn't toe tap that bag? BS. Utter BS. Inning should've been over at 2-2 but the Dodgers got 4 outs to play with. This game was absolutely ripped out of our hands by the MLB clown committee and Terry Collins who will always stay with a pitcher 1 or 2 inning longer than he should

Wright and d'Arnaud had atrocious games. Just atrocious

Ok Matt the ball is yours, the stage is yours. We're facing stinkin Brett Anderson at home. Go out there and shut them down and put 99 between Utleys eyes. This is the moment you've been waiting for.

And for the coup de grace this SAME THING has happened before in 2010, with these same players:

http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork/mets/post/_/id/10764/utleys-slide-into-tejada-irks-mets

Chase Utley's late takeout slide into second baseman Ruben Tejada trying to break up a double play in the fifth inning irked the Mets. David Wright suggested if Utley, a second baseman, is comfortable with sliding like that, he better be willing to receive them like that, too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Wow. You know I have no recollection of that happening in 2010 but good find.

Unfortunately now everybody knows the Mets are out for blood, and Mets fans are going to give Utley the John Rocker treatment (I mean Chipper Jones never got it as bad as Utley is about to get it)

Thing is though this is a playoff game. Unless it's a big Mets lead late you can't just hit guys and give the Dodgers free baserunners.

Sandy supposedly was irate and stalking the umpires dressing room after the game. Eventually had a heated conversation with Joe Torre

Wright calling Utley out postgame. Good but...how about letting your bat do the talking on Monday?

And Torre can go jump in a lake as well. Clueless Joe forever. Guy basically sat on the bench and dozed off as Steinbrenners moneybags purchased WS after WS. Sure he's a nice guy and all, but let's not act like he's some wise saint of baseball.

Reed gave no indication of this kind of meltdown before today and it wouldn't have been easy for anyone to come in with that torrid storm brewing.

What exactly was the point of taking Colon out anyway once the game got tied?  I thought he was supposed to be a length guy?  It's almost like they intentionally put Reed into the worst spot possible just so Terry could prove the second-guessers right that Clippard should be the eighth inning guy.

That is interesting. I was wondering why he went with Colon in the first place over Reed. His reason was fine and Colon got the ground ball. Utley ruined everything with that dirty "slide." Feel real bad for Tejada. Just awful. Then you have the bizarre reversal by the umps on a dumb rule interpretation by MLB awarding Utley second base. And then after such a long delay, Collins brings in his "7th inning guy" with the game tied. Reed just didn't have it. Two fat pitches. One on a 0-2 count to A-Gone who had done zilch. And Turner just hits. He's probably the Dodgers toughest hitter.

For the longest time, it looked like the Mets would win and have the chance to finish it. Then the Dodgers got life after that Utley play. A very bizarre inning. Now, it's up to the Mets to turn the page. And for Harvey Dent to pitch a big game which he should. I expect the Mets to be fired up and for Citi Field to be rocking. That should be interesting if Mattingly plays Utley.

It's a tough spot to be in. Mets can't let their need for revenge cause them to lose sight of the bigger picture. As much as I hate it, any true "eye for an eye" retaliation may have to wait until next season (though a blowout game in this series might expedite things).

The whole situation just fvcking sucks.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Wow crazy game. Few things-

I liked going to colon there, it's a big change up from the hard throwing Thor and to Terry's credit it did work, colon got the ground ball it was just a poor flip by Murphy.

It was a clear dirty slide IMO and has to be answered for in some way. Not sure in what universe a runner can be safe without ever touching the bag.

This is the moment Harvey has been waiting for. With emotions turned to max, coming back to NY, if he really wants the really earn the dark knight label he can help cement it with an ace caliber start.

Monday will show what kind of team this is. Do they sulk after a tough loss or come back with a fury.

Utley can eat a dick.

And Torre can go jump in a lake as well. Clueless Joe forever. Guy basically sat on the bench and dozed off as Steinbrenners moneybags purchased WS after WS. Sure he's a nice guy and all, but let's not act like he's some wise saint of baseball.

I'm sure Torre would have been singing a different tune if someone did that to Jeter in a playoff game while he was managing the Yankees...

I fell asleep early last night, but as soon as I saw this highlight this morning, I could almost taste the tears flowing from this thread. Bottom line is Utley was within reach of the bag, and it was a legal play. The following review calling him safe is a different story.

It's really sad that we've taken just about every contact play out of baseball. There is no reason plays like this shouldn't be a part of the game. Guys are going to get hurt, but they're also going to get hurt throwing too many pitches or not stretching well enough before taking off to first on a grounder. it's an egregious violation that we've eliminated contact plays at the plate, and you know the breakup slide is probably next. Good thing it was Tejada and not Jeter 8 years ago, they would've Sean Avery Rule style expedited a change by this morning. I know it's sh!tty someone got hurt, but players are going to get hurt, and we can't change the way we play the game every time we do. The slide by the letter of the law was legal, and whether it negatively affected the outcome for your favorite team and one of your players got hurt or not, it doesn't make it "dirty" or illegal. It was a hard baseball play that is far too absent from the game today.

I'm not a huge Utley fan, and never really was when he was here. I like his competitiveness and I respect the guy, but I just never loved him as a player. I was happy to see Cesar Hernandez step up this year as a potential future 2nd baseman, and I certainly didn't shed a tear when Utley went to LA. And yes, I would be saying the EXACT same thing if this happened to Galvis, or anyone else. It sucks when someone goes down, but that's baseball. This is just another obnoxious New York-style production because something that can possibly be griped about didn't go your way. And maybe some of you really do want this kind of play to be eliminated from baseball, but most of you would be praising this kind of play if Utley. had a Mets jersey on last night.