New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

And the coffee cake peeks his head in to be a dick. The only surprise is that it took him this long to do it. Once an agenda-driven loser troll, always an agenda-driven loser troll.

And the coffee cake peeks his head in to be a dick. The only surprise is that it took him this long to do it. Once an agenda-driven loser troll, always an agenda-driven loser troll.

Driven by what agenda? The way I think the game should be played? Defending the rules of baseball as they have been in antiquity? What's next, are you going to complain about Dodger Stadium's center field being to short after a Dodger's homer in game 5? Don't be pissed that I'm breaking up your pity party. No rules were broken. That play was as legal as an intentional walk or a single up the middle.

You only come in here to try to get a rise out of us (and have been failing, which obviously upsets you greatly). You know it. You'll never admit it. I don't care to understand your motivations for doing it. And that's all that needs to be said.

Defending the rules of baseball that are in place are an attempt to get a rise out of you? Plenty of people have come out and defended this play and in support of the rules staying the way they are, I'm not being a dick by supporting the game the way it's always been played.

The bottom line is you all want a rule changed because something didn't work out for your team. But, what else would you expect from Mets fans, I suppose. But keep up the "TROLL TROLL TROLL" rhetoric. I don't like the Mets, but I love baseball and follow it closely, and this is pretty much the only forum I'm ever on. But I am definitely the idiot for thinking I could talk baseball with Mets fans as a fan of a rival team. All New York sports fans sound exactly the same. It 100% is like talking to Rangers fans with you people.

Edited by thecoffeecake

I'll admit that I hadn't been paying close enough attention to this during the season: is the "neighborhood" interpretation of the rules now considered defunct, now that we have instant replay?  I know that was never literally in the rules, but the enforcement was always lax on guys who were potentially turning two.

On what would have resulted if this had happened to Jeter, the MLB would have changed its rules.  We saw what happened to Buster Posey.  Suddenly decades of "that's just part of the game" became "never again."  Tejada's not significant enough to them, so they won't meddle with this series.  When a Jeter-type player goes down, it costs the league revenue in the form of lower ratings, forcing a response.

It 100% is like talking to Rangers fans with you people.

Funny, I thought you sounded like the Rangers fan earlier when, looking at the Mets' success and Philly's lack thereof, you basically said, "Well you guys have bad attendance and a crappy fanbase so . .  :yucky: "

I don't remember a player being suspended for something like this before, but Utley has a track record of illegal slides, so if there was ever a time to do it...now is the time.

I also think the MLB wants to take every measure to avoid this becoming an all out battle royal at Citi Field. Utley would probably need police protection. This would be John Rocker level stuff here. People are just viscerally enraged here.

Of course if it was ruled illegal last night it would have been a DP inning over :P

Torre said does not believe Utley intended to injure but thought warranted suspension for "rolling block" #Dodgers #Mets

Utley will appeal.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's really sad that we've taken just about every contact play out of baseball. There is no reason plays like this shouldn't be a part of the game. Guys are going to get hurt, but they're also going to get hurt throwing too many pitches or not stretching well enough before taking off to first on a grounder. it's an egregious violation that we've eliminated contact plays at the plate, and you know the breakup slide is probably next. 

Definitely disagree on this.  Contact is not this great, time-honored tradition of baseball.  Baseball is a non-contact sport.  If you look at contact sports, hockey, soccer, football, basketball, the common element generally is that there's one ball, and both teams want to have it.  If they don't have it, the team is trying to prevent the opponent from doing something with it.  In baseball, only the defense has the ball, the offense can't take it from them.  The offense also does not get to prevent the defense from executing its plays.  They don't get to shove defenders who are waiting for a popup.  A-rod doesn't get to knock a ball out of the opponents mitt.  

The plays at second base are essentially a lengthy derivation of the inherent intent that a base runner has when going in on those plays.  The runner's intent that is inherent in the rules of the game is to try to reach the base before the ball gets there.  That naturally leads to the conclusion, "I have to slide in, since I'm not allowed to overrun at second base," which in turn leads to the realization, "The fielder at the bag may be stepping towards me because he's trying to turn a double play," which the ends with the deduction, "My slide into second base, ostensibly in an attempt to reach the base safely, may help my team avoid the double play."  For some reason, this strategy was allowed to remain in the game, with only some feeble regulations to prevent it from becoming the type of contact generally banned from the sport.

In keeping with baseball's tradition of not allowing the team on offense to use contact to prevent the defense from executing its plays, a change should be made.  Obviously, some coming together of players at the bases, second base in particular, is inevitable, due to timing and coincidence.  But plays like Utley's, historically allowed, should never have had a place in baseball, are inconsistent with how the sport is played in nearly all other circumstances, and should be removed from the game.  It can be done by putting some additional restrictions on the runner's slide, with some additional rules to prevent defenders from seeking such contact for a cheap double play ruling.

Don't get sucked in DD.  coffee puts on a very see-through front in pretending he wants to talk baseball as a "rival fan", and it would be nice if he was actually interested in taking baseball, but he isn't.  He's much more interested in taking little cheap shots at anything Met-related, especially the fanbase and his "lump 'em all together" perception of what he considers to be "New York fans".  That's the lame agenda he won't cop to, and the passive-aggressive method he's using to try to cover it up is fooling no one. 

These excerpts really say it all:

I fell asleep early last night, but as soon as I saw this highlight this morning, I could almost taste the tears flowing from this thread.

This is just another obnoxious New York-style production because something that can possibly be griped about didn't go your way.

All New York sports fans sound exactly the same. It 100% is like talking to Rangers fans with you people.

That's not someone coming in to discuss, that's someone purposely being abrasive (though I suspect coffee is probably like this often) and trying to antagonize and get a reaction.  It's actually pretty sad, but some people don't handle their own team's extended irrelevance very well, so this is what can happen.   

As far as the whole Utley thing goes, though Mr. Agenda leaves out the fact that opinions around baseball are clearly divided on Utley's slide (Agenda-boy of course wanted to make it sound like only "New Yorkers" would complain about such a thing), I think the only real adjustment that needs to be made is that the runner's priority has to be to get to the bag...no more going out of your way to target the fielder.  Utley clearly had no interest at all in second base.  I've always thought it was a bit ridiculous when a guy slides to the right of second with no intention at all of reaching or tagging the bag.  But no way do I feel that going hard into second should be eliminated entirely.  A runner has the right to try to break up a DP if a fielder is on or very near the bag, and the runner is on-line to reach second base. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Sometimes the team that does do the antagonizing is the team that ends up winning. Remember Claude/Draper in '96? Avs won that. And there are many other cases as well. John Rocker and Chipper Jones in 1999 (Jones made some awful comments as well) Braves won.

I just worry this is going to be a Scioscia like turning point. And while the Mets did win a game that series after the Scioscia HR, that HR truly made the Dodgers believe they were going to win the series.

If Harvey comes up small tonight and we lose the series...it's going to be hard for me to look at him for a while. He'd better be heavily shopped in the offseason.

Edited by '7'

Pressure is all on Harvey tonight (and he brought a lot of it on himself)...he basically has to go 7+ and give up 2 R or less.   

It's fine if Sandy wants to shop him, but like I said, they can't get back seemingly obvious less value.  I'd rather they keep him under those circumstances.  I still think his attitude can be changed. 

If Harvey comes up small tonight and we lose the series...it's going to be hard for me to look at him for a while. He'd better be heavily shopped in the offseason.

It'll be hard for me to get emotionally invested into sports period for a long time quite honestly if we lose the series with THAT play being the turning point.  

And I wasn't expecting to win the series beforehand, I was hopeful we could win the series and saw it as more of a pick em...but to lose it after what happened in Game 2 would now be 2009 Game 7 against Carolina type devastating.  Even worse cause that was just the Devils blowing it, not a contreversial injury/MLB and the umps blowing the situation AND a hated opposition player being the hero with a dirty play.

But yeah a bad outing for Harvey with all that's happened is basically Glavine #162 game type of 'this just can't work again'.  In spite of everything I'm about 95% confident in Harvey doing the job, but only about 51% confident we hit Brett Anderson.  I could easily see a 2-1 game (trailing) after 7 where the bats get tight, the pen blows up late and it's good night with Matz then imploding in Game #4, inviting the second-guessing for having the season end without deGrom pitch again.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Harvey will deal tonight. I don't like the guy much but he's nasty and has ballsy stuff on the hill. Especially when he's amped up. Everyone in the building is going to be amped. Which is why I think the bats will come up big tonight. With exception to David Wright cause he's shot. Although David does traditionally kill lefties...

Edited by capo

I'll admit that I hadn't been paying close enough attention to this during the season: is the "neighborhood" interpretation of the rules now considered defunct, now that we have instant replay?  I know that was never literally in the rules, but the enforcement was always lax on guys who were potentially turning two.

On what would have resulted if this had happened to Jeter, the MLB would have changed its rules.  We saw what happened to Buster Posey.  Suddenly decades of "that's just part of the game" became "never again."  Tejada's not significant enough to them, so they won't meddle with this series.  When a Jeter-type player goes down, it costs the league revenue in the form of lower ratings, forcing a response.

Funny, I thought you sounded like the Rangers fan earlier when, looking at the Mets' success and Philly's lack thereof, you basically said, "Well you guys have bad attendance and a crappy fanbase so . .  :yucky: "

I wasn't the one who began the relevancy discussion. '7' brought that up after I had mentioned the Phillies as having a presence among Devils fans. I hadn't even mentioned I was a Phillies fan up to then. I just said wait a second: Pot, meet kettle.

Definitely disagree on this.  Contact is not this great, time-honored tradition of baseball.  Baseball is a non-contact sport.  If you look at contact sports, hockey, soccer, football, basketball, the common element generally is that there's one ball, and both teams want to have it.  If they don't have it, the team is trying to prevent the opponent from doing something with it.  In baseball, only the defense has the ball, the offense can't take it from them.  The offense also does not get to prevent the defense from executing its plays.  They don't get to shove defenders who are waiting for a popup.  A-rod doesn't get to knock a ball out of the opponents mitt.  

The plays at second base are essentially a lengthy derivation of the inherent intent that a base runner has when going in on those plays.  The runner's intent that is inherent in the rules of the game is to try to reach the base before the ball gets there.  That naturally leads to the conclusion, "I have to slide in, since I'm not allowed to overrun at second base," which in turn leads to the realization, "The fielder at the bag may be stepping towards me because he's trying to turn a double play," which the ends with the deduction, "My slide into second base, ostensibly in an attempt to reach the base safely, may help my team avoid the double play."  For some reason, this strategy was allowed to remain in the game, with only some feeble regulations to prevent it from becoming the type of contact generally banned from the sport.

In keeping with baseball's tradition of not allowing the team on offense to use contact to prevent the defense from executing its plays, a change should be made.  Obviously, some coming together of players at the bases, second base in particular, is inevitable, due to timing and coincidence.  But plays like Utley's, historically allowed, should never have had a place in baseball, are inconsistent with how the sport is played in nearly all other circumstances, and should be removed from the game.  It can be done by putting some additional restrictions on the runner's slide, with some additional rules to prevent defenders from seeking such contact for a cheap double play ruling.

This is fair. I have no argument against you here. We think the game should be played differently. Done.

Don't get sucked in DD.  coffee puts on a very see-through front in pretending he wants to talk baseball as a "rival fan", and it would be nice if he was actually interested in taking baseball, but he isn't.  He's much more interested in taking little cheap shots at anything Met-related, especially the fanbase and his "lump 'em all together" perception of what he considers to be "New York fans".  That's the lame agenda he won't cop to, and the passive-aggressive method he's using to try to cover it up is fooling no one. 

These excerpts really say it all:

I fell asleep early last night, but as soon as I saw this highlight this morning, I could almost taste the tears flowing from this thread.

This is just another obnoxious New York-style production because something that can possibly be griped about didn't go your way.

All New York sports fans sound exactly the same. It 100% is like talking to Rangers fans with you people.

That's not someone coming in to discuss, that's someone purposely being abrasive (though I suspect coffee is probably like this often) and trying to antagonize and get a reaction.  It's actually pretty sad, but some people don't handle their own team's extended irrelevance very well, so this is what can happen.   

As far as the whole Utley thing goes, though Mr. Agenda leaves out the fact that opinions around baseball are clearly divided on Utley's slide (Agenda-boy of course wanted to make it sound like only "New Yorkers" would complain about such a thing), I think the only real adjustment that needs to be made is that the runner's priority has to be to get to the bag...no more going out of your way to target the fielder.  Utley clearly had no interest at all in second base.  I've always thought it was a bit ridiculous when a guy slides to the right of second with no intention at all of reaching or tagging the bag.  But no way do I feel that going hard into second should be eliminated entirely.  A runner has the right to try to break up a DP if a fielder is on or very near the bag, and the runner is on-line to reach second base. 

I have never said that this was something only Mets fans are upset about. In fact, I recognize, and honestly to my surprise, that I am in the minority here. Players, managers, baseball people, and fans of all teams, even plenty of Dodgers fans, have come out and said this play wasn't right. What I'm saying is that if Utley was in New York, he'd get that New York style Kreider treatment. And while the baseball world is split on this, Mets fans are not. I understand naturally more Mets fans are going to side the other way here, but I haven't seen one Mets fan come out and say, you know, it sucks, and I'm mad, but this is how baseball is played. Not a single one. And I hate Dodgers fans pretty tremendously as well, but at least over there it's not blind support for what happened. Maybe it's not fair of me to jump on the whole fanbase the day it happened, because obviously a lot of people who do usually support hard plays, traditional baseball, whatever, probably haven't had time to level out. But I think generally, this knee-jerk hysteria is a pretty common theme with New York sports fans. The same kind of uproar after Cespedes got hit.

Can't really get on the umps for a malfunctioning phone.  But if they had warned the benches...