New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Daniel Murphy playing like the real version of Roy Hobbs. That at bat where he just missed and then basically hit it out with one hand off Arrieta was amazing. Wow. Never seen anything like it. Knew Syndergaard would K a lot of Cubs. The Mets are outplaying them by a ton. They're more aggressive running the bases and outpitching them as well as out-executing them. Terry Collins is outmanaging Maddon. They look like a team of destiny.

WOOOOOOHOOO. I've tried to be as restrained as possible thus far but this is really fun.

Unsung hero is Grandy taking that HR away from Coghlan

The legend of Murphy grows. He is literally Claude Lemieux circa 1995, only in 95 Claude already had a nice playoff resume and was an integral part of a Cup team (and was great for us in the 94 playoffs) Murphy this year is like if all of a sudden Sergie Brylin started to light up Roy, Hasek, and Belfour round after round.

Wright got a hit! 2nd of the playoffs, stop the presses. Duda is the last one who has to get the motor going.

Did not want to see Familia again but...it's the NLCS, full speed ahead. We're trying to get to a WS here. We'll deal with the ramifications of this later.

Bloom is off the Arrieta rose. You can tell he's hitting a wall here.

So glad there is no game tomorrow, I'm loving this but at the same time need a break from it.

re: Duda, I never thought I'd say this, and I doubt the Mets will ever think along these lines, but I wonder if Sandy dare considers signing Murph to play first and tries to trade Doofus.  I think Murph will always have warts and brainfarts, and there will be weeks where he will frustrate the hell out of us, but the guy is a good hitter who does have a knack for being clutch (and it's nice to have ONE guy who isn't a whiff factory).  And though Murph is clearly going to be overpaid in the grand scheme, Duda is entering his second arbitration season...I'm guessing he's probably going to be paid around $6.5 - $7.5 mil...obviously much less than what Murph will get, but as we've seen time and time again, good pitchers don't have much trouble getting Duda out.  And if Duda has a year that falls somewhere between his 2014 and 2015 seasons, he may be around $10 mil before his walk year.  This for a guy who does get on base, but doesn't hit the ball nearly enough (Murph does hit for a pretty good average) and is clearly overmatched by better (read:  playoff) pitching. 

The Mets are clearly (I hope) trying to be a good contending team for at least 2-3 more years, while these arms are young and relatively cheap.  Duda is a bad-team ballplayer and he's pretty much proven why this series.  Murphy clearly has flaws and is a pretty good player playing like a superstar right now, but there's something to be said for a guy who actually raises his game in spots like this (just look at Loser by comparison, who only seems to do this purely by accident)...and it's nice to have someone who nicely offsets Wright's complete loser vibe.  It won't be a bargain deal, but the money will be there (Colon's money is off the books after this season and Cuddyer's is off after next...and if the Mets are inclined to take a risk on a long-term deal, I think they'll do it with Murph where it's a mid-level risk on a home-grown commodity, as opposed to a Cespedes-type where a mistake might be crippling). 

It's a considerable risk...just like Cespedes earlier, Murph might simply be in the middle of a once-in-a-career unconscious streak and might never come close to a peak like this again.  And since GMs can't ever control themselves, he'll be considerably overpaid by whomever signs him...playoff heroes often are.  And I'm probably looking at this completely wrong, but I'm taking a "Who would I rather have playing first base in 2016 and beyond for the Mets" approach:  Murph or Duda?  Loser is entrenched at third, so Murph can't play there, and though Flores and/or Herrera are iffy, they're cheap, and if the Mets have any designs on paying any of their pitchers, they're going to need some low contracts...suddenly 2B becomes a low-cost position. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Daniel Murphy playing like the real version of Roy Hobbs. That at bat where he just missed and then basically hit it out with one hand off Arrieta was amazing. Wow. Never seen anything like it. Knew Syndergaard would K a lot of Cubs. The Mets are outplaying them by a ton. They're more aggressive running the bases and outpitching them as well as out-executing them. Terry Collins is outmanaging Maddon. They look like a team of destiny.

Murph, good pitching, just enough timely hitting, and some luck/breaks (Cubs have hit some line drives right at people and the Mets have made some big defensive plays) are the reasons the Mets are up 2-0.  Not sure if managing is having much to do with it just yet.  That's not to knock Collins for anything, but when Murph is hitting a dinger a game against top pitchers (?!), Harvey goes 7.2 IP and pitches great in the first game, and Reed-Clip-Familia do their 7-8-9 thing with none of them doing anything to burp up the lead 4-1 Syndergaard and Niese handed them, that's going to make any manager's job relatively easy.  Not sure what Maddon is supposed to do when his main starting pitching horses each give up 4 ER.  I guess you can make the argument that Maddon might have stuck with Lester slightly too long (maybe he should've been taken out after allowing Lagares' single or after Harvey's sacrifice), but I don't think either manager had really had that much of an impact on these two games...Harvey and Syndergaard simply did a better job than their respective counterparts. 

And though this is clearly a "Well, yeah, duh" kind of thing, a look at the what the Mets are hitting and what their opponents are hitting really shows that Murph has been the difference.  They've outscored their opposition 30-21 (with almost half those runs coming in one game) and out-homered them 10-3.  Murph has 5 HR and 8 RBI (Granderson has driven in 7). 

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/batting/_/name/nym/new-york-mets

Really scary to think where they'd be without Murph and Grandy, even with the pitching doing its job for most of these playoff games.  You can count the moments everyone else has had on one hand. 

I don't think the Mets are going anywhere near Murphy in the off-season. He's played himself into Beltran situation for sure. The Yankees maybe either LA team, somebody is going to give him big money. Every time he blinks right he hears ca ching. Murph is a good player. Hard-nosed, perfect for playoff baseball. He might make dip sh!t play hear and there but your getting consistency. You put him one of those band box ball parks and he's gonna kill it. I'd love to have him back but don't see it happening. At least the Mets can tender him now and get a draft pick to make up for the Cuddyer sh!t.

I don't think the Mets are going anywhere near Murphy in the off-season. He's played himself into Beltran situation for sure. The Yankees maybe either LA team, somebody is going to give him big money. Every time he blinks right he hears ca ching. Murph is a good player. Hard-nosed, perfect for playoff baseball. He might make dip sh!t play hear and there but your getting consistency. You put him one of those band box ball parks and he's gonna kill it. I'd love to have him back but don't see it happening. At least the Mets can tender him now and get a draft pick to make up for the Cuddyer sh!t.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-not-plan-bring-daniel-murphy-back-sources-article-1.2402201

Yeah, that's why I said "I doubt the Mets do this."  And I know Sandy can't possibly care less about what the fans think, but let's face it, if the Mets let both Cespedes AND Murph meekly walk away...that's going to be some rotten PR (though if they lock up deGrom and Harvey to a pair of "transitional" 4-6 contracts that buy out some arb/FA years, that will probably help them get off the hook).  And the funny thing is that it's really wrong to let them go...Conforto should be a full-time player next season (and a very cost-effective one), Herrera and Flores will get their chance to battle it out for second base (Herrera has already shown he can hit in the PCL), and Lagares will hopefully bounce back enough that someone might want to trade for him or make it a decent move for the Mets to keep him (I get the feeling he's going to be a problem with his contract).  As elated as we'll be if the Mets can somehow get to the World Series and be competitive once they get there (and possibly win it all), it's going to be mighty disappointing if the company line is "If Loser and Doofus have bounceback years...", and the team goes into 2016 in about the same shape as they entered 2015.  Loser is a guy on an awful contract who's going to be along for the ride from here on out and hopefully will do just enough not to get booed or killed too much by fans and the media...I don't know how anyone can set the bar any higher than that.  Doofus is what he is...a guy who has a place in MLB and should have a pretty nice career, but not one on contending teams. 

It's a tough call...memories are short, and you will hear a lot of variations of Murph being this late-bloomer who's finally putting it all together and has learned to hit home runs and will soon be a 20+HR threat who can hit in the .280s consistently and, as a result of the increased HRs, will start to draw more walks, etc.  Of course, as we all know, the larger sample suggests something different.  And he'll be entering his age 31 season.  Is this new Murph the real Murph going forward?  Do you gamble 4-6 years and $50-$75 million on that?  It's a very tough call, but a potential infield of Loser, Tejada, Flores, Herrera, and Duda is a little scary...and it's not like that group is even a lock to stay healthy. 

And with regards to Harvey and deGrom...if the plan is to keep Harvey beyond this season, this is the best time to offer him a transitional long-term deal (something like 4-5 years $60-$75 million...lots more guaranteed money than he'll get in arbitration over the next three seasons, but will still enable him to get a big score down the line), as this is Harvey's first arbitration season.  A four-year deal takes him through the end of his age 30 season, where if he's still close to being what he is now, he'll get a 6+ year contract at mega-dollars pretty easily.  deGrom still has two more seasons under team control before his arbitration years kick in, so though it'd be a nice gesture for the Mets to offer him a long-term deal, they're not pressed to do it...they can renew him at beyond-bargain rates. 

deGrom is an unusual case because he's old to be in the position he's in...he's not eligible for FA until he's 32.  He may never get that shot at the HUGE contract...if he keeps it up, he'll definitely get some very nice coin, no question, but he may have to "settle" for a couple of very good deals, as opposed to that one massive one. 

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the bloated "Pay the guy for what he was" contracts, especially with pitchers.  It seems like too often, you get yourself into a Mike Hampton or Barry Zito situation.  Most guys just don't keep dialing year after year after year.  I think you get 5-8 good to great seasons out of them (if you're lucky), then let them get their lifetime achievement contracts elsewhere...not saying you have to do this every single time, but I'd be damned sure that the guy I'm making the exception for is as good a bet as there possibly is to make the deal (which is likely to be awful by default) not be an albatross-in-waiting.    

Familia's arb years also begin this offseason...he's making $523,925.  Safe to say he'll be getting a significant raise...

All I can say is this has been a very fun season.  I've been tuned in since the beginning of the year listening to WFAN in the mornings and all the way through the beginning of these playoffs my excitement has been growing and I can't believe we're two wins away from a World Series berth.   I fully expect our pitching staff to carry the team into the WS, but if for some reason they don't, or if we make the WS but lose, you still have a lot to hang your hat on this year.  They are playing some great baseball and the players themselves really seem to be enjoying it too. 

Here's hoping we get another great performance tomorrow from deGrom, and that the Murphy magic continue.  I would actually like to see guys like Cespedes and Lagares step up, just to have a more well-rounded lineup, but I'll take anything that gives us a W!

I'm excited about now and the future for this team. I think SA will be looking to do some things this winter because we dont have the trade trips aside from Harvey, which is still a real possibility. I like all three of Lagares, Herrera, and Flores but they are not ready to carry a team and neither is Conforto. In fact, they are all in pretty similar places in development. Unfortunately, the Mets don't have anyone else to hold them over until they are ready to be go to guys. Free agency will be interesting this winter...

For right now, I just want to enjoy the magic carpet ride because Murph, the 4 aces, and Familia have put us all on their backs and said enjoy the ride.

Edited by capo

Lagares looks like he's never going to a consistent enough hitter to be an everyday player, which is kind of sad.  Herrera and Flores are question marks, and as has been stated before, Lagares and Flores make too many outs (and Flores isn't going to be good defensively no matter where you stick him).  Conforto looks like he's going to be a good one. 

Loser and Doofus still in the 2nd and 5th slots...it would probably be a different story if the Mets were down 2-0 instead of up 2-0.  As those two doing little in the playoffs hasn't hurt the Mets yet, I can't get on TC for not shuffling them and hoping they get something going.  Duda might actually do something against lesser arms here.

It would be surprising to see deGrom have a consecutive rough start tonight. It could happen but I expect he'll be good tonight. That said, supposedly its a warm October day with the wind blowing out. It's going to be an exciting night for baseball.

Edited by capo

Both Loser and Doofus with base hits today...when's the eclipse?

No words left to describe Murph's run...

Jacob might as well have under-handed that one...yikes.

Wow...Hendricks already out of the game. 

I really wish Grandy would make like a lead off hitter and push one down that 3rd base line.

He drew a walk...like he did 91 times during the regular season.  I'd say that's making like a leadoff hitter.

How many times has he made an out with that freebie sitting over there?

Are you really bitching about Granderson?  Because he's been such a problem this year...