New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Mejia was so meh-ish as the closer last season...so many tightrope acts.  It was only a matter of time that he was going to lose the job.  Not too many closers with 1.4 - 1.5 WHIPs survive for long...

C'mon Fam...wrap it up before the rain kills the game...

Just so long as when they stop the game they don't start it again for five minutes 45 minutes later :P

There was that article ghostwritten by Cone about Hershiser being lucky (among several other derogatory things written about the Dodgers)...that got the Dodgers all fired up...they knocked him out of Game 2 after two innings and 5 ER.

THREE MORE OUTS JEURYS...YOU CAN DO IT!

No doubt Cone was a fvcker. I also heard that he pulled his junk out and showed it to some girls while he was in the bullpen during a game.

Oh the humanity...I don't ever want to think about that game again...

No doubt Cone was a fvcker. I also heard that he pulled his junk out and showed it to some girls while he was in the bullpen during a game.

Yeah, heard that one, don't know if I buy it.

NICE!  UP 3-0!  Nice Beltran imitation at the plate there...

Suffice it to say Lester is coming back on three days' rest...

One win away from the World Series... Who'da thunk it?

No one here in mid-July...just look at the posts from then...

Jacob deGrom's first three playoff starts:  20 IP, 15 H, 4 ER, 2 HR, 5 BB, 27 K, 1.80 ERA, 1.00 WHIP.  And he's 3-0.  Some terrific pitchers don't EVER have a postseason like that. 

I think they have to. I'm not sure it's a good idea. I think the Mets will tear him up... Edited by capo

Yeah we just wanted them to be a playoff team at least, or CONTEND for a playoff spot - the ol' meaningful games in September line...but management seemed to be criminally negligent with the team at that point.

Even after the initial flurry of trades, after that infamous San Diego series with Flores crying and Familia blowing one in the rain after the stupid delay it looked like it was just a matter of time before this team died on the vine.  That first Washington series, and specifically the Flores HR in the opening game really did change everything.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Still can't believe this team is one game away from the WS...one thing you can say about the Mets is that they're good for one WS appearance per decade...

And once again deGrom looked a bit shaky early on, labored with 27 pitches (or more perhaps) in the 1st, settled down nicely and handled the pressure well. The home runs off of him were kind of jokes. The Schwarber shot...holy sh!t talk about a win aided pop fly. Not even warning track in Citi.

Another HR for Murph. Are fvcking sh!tting me? This guy is close to approaching all time legendary postseason status. 6 home runs before the NLCS is over is just insane.

I think at this point the Mets are far and away heavy favorites going forward. The ALCS is almost as wrapped up as your series is, and I'm surprised Kansas City made it this far with that rotation. I'd almost be more concerned with the eerie parallels between the 04 Red Sox and this year's Cubs than with KC.

I think at this point the Mets are far and away heavy favorites going forward. The ALCS is almost as wrapped up as your series is, and I'm surprised Kansas City made it this far with that rotation. I'd almost be more concerned with the eerie parallels between the 04 Red Sox and this year's Cubs than with KC.

Well, Cubs are a slugging team like the 04 Sox, but I think that Sox team far and away had the pitching edge, though it's tough to compare eras since 2004 was still slugfest roid era baseball. Cubs have Arrieta but he's on fumes right now.

Not counting Chicago out. They can easily crawl back into this.

Hammel going tonight. Not a crap pitcher by any stretch but...does better on the road than at home. Can't be feeling confident with this guy going with your season hanging by a thread.

Edited by '7'

I was floored to hear just now that the Mets actually open the 2016 season with the Royals (a 2-game series at KC). I remembered hearing that a while back but forgot about it till Evan just brought that up on WFAN. If both teams win tonight among other things next season opens with a WS rematch :lol:

Well, Cubs are a slugging team like the 04 Sox, but I think that Sox team far and away had the pitching edge, though it's tough to compare eras since 2004 was still slugfest roid era baseball. Cubs have Arrieta but he's on fumes right now.

Not counting Chicago out. They can easily crawl back into this.

Hammel going tonight. Not a crap pitcher by any stretch but...does better on the road than at home. Can't be feeling confident with this guy going with your season hanging by a thread.

And this Met team has a HUGE pitching edge over the 2004 Yankees. That Yankee team dragged the corpse of Kevin Brown out for a Game 7, and Mussina/Jon Lieber were their best starters. This Cub team has to beat Matz, Harvey, Thor and deGrom all on normal rest with Hammel, Lester, a tiring Arrieta and Hendricks starting their four games. If the Mets somehow don't win this series with the deck stacked THAT much I may never watch baseball again :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

I don't agree with this at all. The Royals struck out the fewest in the league. Their batter's reached base 32% of the time and they stole bases. They are exactly the type of team that could stop the Mets right in their tracks. The question will be can Mets go tit for tat with them or did they not K because they didn't face anything like the Mets will throw at them?

Anyways, this down the road both teams have to win the series they're in first.

Also what is scary about KC is that they're on a mission... They went to game 7 of the WS and lost last year. They're that young team that had to endure the painful loss before they were ready to win. They want to finish the job. They're also never out of a game, and they have a great bullpen. I'd rather play Toronto, all things considered.

Edited by MadDog2020

Also what is scary about KC is that they're on a mission... They went to game 7 of the WS and lost last year. They're that young team that had to endure the painful loss before they were ready to win. They want to finish the job. They're also never out of a game, and they have a great bullpen. I'd rather play Toronto, all things considered.

Agreed, unless,of course, they're the Bills.

Pitching is what wins championships. The giants took care of them with pretty much bum. If this Mets rotation fires on all cylinders, it's a better rotation than last year's giants, but as good as degrom has been, he's not last year's bumgartner good. The cubs pitching may have been out of steam, but they're still leaps better than KC's. I don't know, I can't see the royals small balling their way past the Mets. But Toronto won today, and now 3-2 doesn't seem nearly as inevitable as 3-1 did. I'd probably be praying KC figures out one of these two games if I'm you guys. I'd way rather see them.