New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Cubs can keep all of their hitters...they ain't getting any Mets starting pitchers for 'em!

I sit here and still can't believe where this season was and looked headed almost three months ago after the Gomez non-trade fiasco and the blown 7-1 lead in the rain against the Padres, when we were still three back of Washington.  To go from THAT point to now is unfathomable.  The trade deadline and Flores's Friday extra-inning HR really changed everything.

Edited by NJDevs4978

This is simply unreal, and for this Mets franchise who spent decades toiling in the shadows and being whipped mercilessly of the Braves, Phillies, Yankees, and Nationals, to finally shake that off and put together a truly unforgettable run to the World Series is just mind boggling. 

This team is so locked in right now, on one hand I'm THRILLED we have almost 6 full days until the World Series opens so I can relax and detox (wouldn't mind using this time to get reacquainted with the Devils) but I also worry the Mets will cool down as a result.

That said, and maybe this comes with age but I do legitimately feel bad for the Cubs and their fans. That teams WS window is opening, I do hope they win one soon but not at our expense.

Edited by '7'

fwiw. Mattingly fired.

And if I could gripe about anything, too much Jeff Wilpon in the revelry yesterday. The guy is the biggest prick known to man, has been nothing but a stain on this franchise, and he's gallivanting about the clubhouse like some wannabee player.

Hey whatever, it's his daddies team. He can do what he wants

Edited by '7'

I chalk the whole Murphy up as professional athletes being able to do extraordinary things. Murph has always been a good hitter who sprayed the ball around and pop the occasional bomb when he turned one. Not often has he ever hit an opposite field bomb. An already good hitter is seeing ball better than usual put those things together and we have our product. It is extraordinary, no doubt but the fact that it's Murph doing it shouldn't be that surprising to Mets fans. Outsiders maybe but we all know Murph can rake. Hell, it's really the only reason he's been on the team. If prior to the playoffs someone asked you who your teams best hitter was everyone would say Murph.

I think it was a firing cloaked in a "mutual decision to part ways" in order to help Mattingly save face

Possibly but I do think Mattingly didn't care for the higher ups either, so it could possibly be mutual for once.  Or it could be they said well we'll keep you but you're a lame duck and you have to fire some coaches, which is more or less a pushing out

Probably a little like the Joe Torre situation with the Yankees, when they unenthusiastically offered to keep him but had incentives in their contract offer (if the team makes the playoffs, etc.)...I remember Torre being insulted by that and more or less saying "After all this time, you think I need incentives to try to get better results?!"

Basically, there could have been circumstances where Mattingly stuck around, but neither party would've been thrilled with it.

Doing Disney the next few days...it's nice to have the NLCS out of the way. Still can't believe this team is in the World Series...a WS appearance out of nowhere is always the most fun. After this season it will almost be expected for a few years...fans always get spoiled in a hurry. Right now it's fun and just different. If the Mets make the playoffs next season and lose the NLDS in a well-played and tough five games, we'll talk about how disappointed we all are. Expectations are going to be very high with the Mets having bypassed a step or two on the way to becoming a contender.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm not going to say I expected a world series but I became hopeful with the run the team went on after Cespedes'arrival. I'm not that surprised... Pitching wins in the playoffs. On the other hand it could easily have gone the other way as well. Pitching aside without Daniel Murphy these guys are golfing. The playoffs are such a crapshoot which is what makes it unpredictable, exciting, and fun. The best team doesn't always win. All you have to do is get in and anything can happen. It's like that old poker adage "a chip and a chair..." Ya gotta believe!

Well, it's the Royals... and a couple stick out from their clincher. 1. For a team that didn't strike out in the regular season they k'd 8 times against Price. 2. They play great D and small ball which means they scrape out runs something that if the Dodgers could do they'd be in the World Series. 3. They're going to play on grass - playing on turf would totally play against our weakness of being weak up the middle in the infield.

To win this series (on paper) Jacob deGrom has to be better because he's not going to escape giving up the baserunners early. The Royals are going to have to be made uncomfortable at the plate. ALL of the Mets staff can make that happen. Now, they have to do it. I want to see these starters hand the ball to Familia because the Royals have a team that will kill our middle relief.

That's on paper... as we know anything can happen. I think it's going be tight and intense but I would take a rehashing of the Cubs series because I want to experience a championship for this team.

It's a childhood dream that I've waited nearly 30 years to experience. I was 8 in 86. I remember all the talk my older family members had about the series that was going at a birthday party for my grandfather but I didn't really follow baseball until after that. I played it but probably didn't follow the pros because I was put to bed before games and we didn't have cable, yet. That was 87. In 87 I was all in and have been ever since. Given the timeframe it's also no surprise how I became a Devils fan... after we got cable I monopolized the tv watching sports. I have 2 older brothers who are much older than me and were out doing other things at this stage their lives. I had the tv because it kept me out of trouble. During the day at school I thought about the back of Mets baseball cards and what happened the night before. I studied every aspect of the game but loved the defensive side the most thanks to Keith Hernandez and Gary Carter. I loved how Carter was an amazing catcher yet got put in the outfield or 3rd base and still played like a pro. I loved how Keith would call the game from first base and made 1b more than what is today. But as great as they were I missed their greatest moment... 88 was a huge year me. I tore up my little league that year. I remember trying to impersonate Keith in the batter's box. I refused batting gloves... then summer turned to fall and we were in and we were going the distance. How could we not? We killed the Dodgers that year, owned them. But, that's why they play the games... so, that's my Mets fandom. So, when I get a little skeptical or over critical that's why. I see the finer points that some people don't see. I've over analyzed everything I've ever seen in sports. It all comes back to one fateful series in 1988. As a fan I want this one bad. I know a lot of Mets fans. However, nearly all my friends are Yankees fans. It sucks! When the Devils won their first cup I was 17. I missed the entire regular season getting over 94 by getting it on with my first steady girlfriend. I tuned just in time for my remedy from the season before. I've waited nearly 30 years fore this one, Cubs fans have waited longer. At least they have the curse to fall back on. I have a family now, 2 kids, pro sports don't quite have the same meaning they had in 88. I still stay up late and watch the games. I still get excited and think how things could have gone another way. I'm in store for another weeks worth of staying up late and going to work tired. I hope this the year. I've thought a lot about 88 this year. A pitching staff like we have will make you think big things. I hope this is the year.

Ya gotta believe....