New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

I think we're all capable of catching the finer points here capo. We've all been watching this team for about as many years as you have.

This series will be over-analyzed as they all are, but to me it's fairly simple...Mets have to be at the top of their game, all around. Agree that the Mets got away with some stuff against both the Dodgers and Cubs that they won't in this series. deGrom is a good example...the Royals will hurt him to the tune of three or four runs if he's shaky in the first again.

As well as the Mets played against the Cubs, the Cubs made a lot of mistakes and didn't excute well...the Mets won't get much (if any) help from the Royals. I do feel like the Mets can still pull off a World Series win even they fall behind 2-0...they've been resilient all season, and they truly seem like a confident bunch. Like every other team, there's flaws, and Murph has almost single-handedly covered them up. But I feel like the Mets are going to get this thing done. Just a gut feeling. Mets in 6.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

KC doesnt give you any free outs, meaning they are going to work your starting pitchers. Maybe 7IP becomes only 6 and you have to dip into the bullpen a bit earlier. Gonna be a tough matchup but the Mets definitely have the SP edge since Cueto and Ventura can both be a bit erratic. Obviously KC has the deeper lineup but the Mets arent anything to scoff at either. Gonna be an awesome series

A couple weeks ago I was so pissed at Matt Harvey I didn't want him on the playoff roster. Today I'm glad he's the game 1 starter. I still think he's a prima dona but he was huge against the Cubs and has been pretty stand up about taking the ball in the playoffs. Even Boras is singing a different tune. I think Matt will set the tone for this series better than any of the other starters. His bulldoggedness is exactly what we need to get things rolling.

Ya gotta believe...

deGrom is every bit the bulldog Harvey is, if not more so.  His last two starts are a testament to that...he's just not a drama queen when it comes to going about his business.  And Harvey hasn't always been all that great against top teams this season.

That being said, I have no problem with Harvey starting Game 1...I would've been fine with either deGrom or Harvey for that one. 

KC has a big outfield so I'd like Lagares in center there and Cespedes in left. Conforto can be the DH

Was sort of thinking about Kelly Johnson at 2b and Murphy DH since Johnson is a legit 2b and the last thing I want to see is anything bungled on the infield...but that probably wont happen. Despite Murphy being elevated to Christ like status these past two weeks I still don't trust him in the the field.

Hopefully we can get Uribe back and that will spell the end for any potential meaningful Cuddyer bats during the postseason. I'm just about fed up with his "take strike 1 and 2 down the middle, K at ball 1 high and away" approach.

Edited by '7'

To me, the definition of a bulldog pitcher is someone who owns the strike zone and pitches inside and keeps batter's off blance that way, not just mixing up pitches and persevering through difficult times. Harvey is a bulldog on the mound deGrom is more power finesse. Who'd of thought there would be such a thing.

I love the Mets pitching staff... I mean cone on... Jacob deGrom is fvcking filthy. The Mets staff is stuff of fairy tales. These guys are just learning, too.

But when I think of bulldogs I see a pitcher that would punch the hitter in the mouth with his fastball. Ryan, Clemens, Pedro, Beckett, the unit and others. Harvey has that in him. I don't think deGrom does. That's not to say he's not a stud. He's got some learning to do. I've said before I think Matz is the best out of all of them. He's just not ready yet and hell he's pitching game 4 of the world series.

Edited by capo

Looks like rain in the forecast tomorrow in KC, not liking this

That sucks... hopefully it holds off the Mets have been off for too long. I saw something that said like 4 of 5 of the last teams to sweep and LCS went on to lose the WS. Let's fvcking hope not.

Edited by capo

To me, the definition of a bulldog pitcher is someone who owns the strike zone and pitches inside and keeps batter's off blance that way, not just mixing up pitches and persevering through difficult times. Harvey is a bulldog on the mound deGrom is more power finesse. Who'd of thought there would be such a thing.

I love the Mets pitching staff... I mean cone on... Jacob deGrom is fvcking filthy. The Mets staff is stuff of fairy tales. These guys are just learning, too.

But when I think of bulldogs I see a pitcher that would punch the hitter in the mouth with his fastball. Ryan, Clemens, Pedro, Beckett, the unit and others. Harvey has that in him. I don't think deGrom does. That's not to say he's not a stud. He's got some learning to do. I've said before I think Matz is the best out of all of them. He's just not ready yet and hell he's pitching game 4 of the world series.

Yeah, see what you mean, going with that definition. 

It's funny, re:  Matz...how many guys get on-the-job training in the playoffs?!  But he's good enough right now (though clearly not polished yet...what makes deGrom, Harvey, and Syndergaard all the more amazing is that they don't walk anyone...Matz isn't quite there in that regard) that you feel pretty comfortable taking your chances with him, that he will at least keep you in the game. 

Wheeler is clearly the #5 guy if he comes back healthy...that's a pretty damned good #5. 

I just heard an interview from SNY that Frankie V gave. He basically thinks that Matz is not far from being a Cy Young candidate already. He doesn't even have a year of MLB experience and he's getting that kind of praise. I real wish the Mets could get Minaya back in here to direct scouting because guy is phenomenal at that.

Kelly Johnson announced as DH for game 1.

Interesting move considering he doesn't have very many at bats during the post season. I think I would have opted for Lagares and the defense. Unless he has the numbers vs Volquez. It's interesting that the Mets haven't played KC much but have seen all of KC starters except Ventura. KC on the other hand hasn't seen our guys unless they saw them in the minors at some point. The more I think about it the more I like our chances but it's going to be a grind. My kind of baseball.

Ya gotta believe!

Interesting move considering he doesn't have very many at bats during the post season. I think I would have opted for Lagares and the defense. Unless he has the numbers vs Volquez. It's interesting that the Mets haven't played KC much but have seen all of KC starters except Ventura. KC on the other hand hasn't seen our guys unless they saw them in the minors at some point. The more I think about it the more I like our chances but it's going to be a grind. My kind of baseball.

Ya gotta believe!

4 hits in 17 AB's vs Volquez (3 walks)

Lagares BTW is 3/8 vs Volquez. Would rather have Juan in center and Conforto as DH for his power.

4 hits in 17 AB's vs Volquez (3 walks)

Lagares BTW is 3/8 vs Volquez. Would rather have Juan in center and Conforto as DH for his power.

I think the concern with the DH might be Cespedes. What if he's really not ready? So, if you have Conforto DH you can't put him in left or you lose the DH. I don't really like using Johnson either because he is your extra infielder. This is one of those situations where you sit a pitcher for an extra bat.

So... the roster is out and it is virtually the same except Uribe in for Reynolds. I would definitely have sat pitcher for a bat. Probably not Reynolds but EYJr. Gilmartin isn't necessary when you have Niese and Colon in the pen. I don't know what good it is to have someone on the roster you really don't need.

Jesus Christ.  Man did Cespedes look awful on that.

Matt might want to stop throwing big fat fastballs...they're up there swinging away.

At least Harvey didn't walk another hitter.  And didn't let the inning get away from him early.

And that is why Lagares needs to play in center in this outfield and Cesp in left

Get the feeling that's what will happen in Game 2.

Feels like Matt really needs to put up a zero here...the Royals and their fans seem like they're just about ready to explode...

This team seems like it's on Harvey's pitches...they're making contact on every swing.  And not swinging at anything out of the zone. 

He's calling it very tight.  As long as he's consistent with both teams, I can live with it.