New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Of course, if the Mets don't start scoring some runs, it might not make much difference what the pitchers do.

Sadly Niese and Colon are probably better equipped to pitch against the Royals with their slop...the Royals are just kryptonite to our power.

Plus there IS the legitimate possibility they're just tired.  For all the nonsense about Harvey off the field, he AND deGrom AND Noah are way above their inning highs, maybe now it's catching up just a tad.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well listen, if we cant pound Ventura at gome them it's time to forfeit. It may be time already. They have mediocre starting pitching, they have good contact hitting but THIS shouldnt be happening

2 hits against Cueto is unacceptable.

This offense is better than it has shown, maybe they're due to break out, I dont know, but to me, with Harvey, Familia, and now deGrom toppled and defeated, the Mets seem mentally defeated. They cannot handle this big stage yet

Our only hope is maybe the big city and a loud raucous citi field gets KC off their game but I doubt that's the case.

Bottom line is we're not the 96 Yankees or 86 Mets, they're not the 96 Braves or 86 Sox. It is looking very very bleak

We cant strike these guys out at all

Also Joe Buck can go drown in a lake. Guys hatred for the Mets is so big that he's cheering for the damn Royals over us

Not that it matters but how sad is it that Flores cant pick up that little nubber to SS. Awful fieldiny

There is only one way back into this series and that's to outslug them. That's it. No other hope. The Royals have absolutely decimated and made idiots out of our pitching top to bottom. Nothing we have fools them, nothing blows them away. It's hopeless. MAYBE Thor by being the hardest thrower on the team is able to blow a few of them away...but I doubt it. They will get to him eventually like they got to Harvey and deGrom

Royals still have to come to NYC and win 2 of 3. It won't be easy. It will be a wild, frenetic, cauldron of noise. Nothing like they've ever faced before. And we will be getting two very hittable guys in Ventura and Chris Young (and yea Young mowed us down, but let's be real here...he's old and on short rest. We MUST get to him)

We've seen this offense blow up before and put up 7-9-12 runs game after game. They must do that again. That's the only way we can do this, by winning 11-6, 10-5. The Royals are getting to our starters, we just need to find a way to get to theirs.

Also cannot let KC score first at Citi. With that atmosphere, can't let them come up and put up a crooked number in the 1st and suck the life out of the stadium

C'mon...even if they lose tonight (and this game ain't over yet), it's way too early for "the series is over" sh!t. 

No offense but thinking about this, I didn't complain it was too early for your Wright Loser sh!t when you harped on every RISP popout in April.  You (and really this board but you specifically) are the way with Wright the way Sterio is with Lou/Parise on the hockey board.  Just too much of a broken record.  Yeah yeah Wright sucks in the postseason we get it, so do a lot of guys right now.  And that he's the 'face of the franchise' so he deserves more ripping doesn't even hold water anymore since it's - a bit erroneously - Harvey at this point.

Sure it sucks he's getting paid $20 million a year and he'll probably never be the same player cause of his back, but who could really see the back coming?  I'd get personal vitriol toward Harvey more cause he's a jackass that doesn't actually seem to care about the team but when has Wright ever done anything on that level of douchenoggery?  I'm mad/dissapointed at David too after Game 1 and most of this postseason but the ripping is so wildly disproportionate toward ripping to anyone else it gets annoying tbh and why I cringed at it for so long.  For all we know maybe nmig got tired of it too, he was a bigger DW fan than me even.

I'm not saying ripping him's unfair 'now', I'm just saying it's gotten old after three years of this nonstop and I've never and will never get the level of personal hatred it gets to here.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And vis-a-vis the series being over I wouldn't think it was over playing Toronto but playing Kansas City is a different animal.  And let's be honest most teams do not recover in a best of 7 from blowing a game in the ninth inning, Arizona in 2001 notwithstanding.  Plus they just beat our Schilling/Unit combo.

Could I see a scenario where the Mets win two of three at home and maybe win Game 6 to put the pressure on?  Sure, though that just happened with the Royals in the last series (lose two of three on the road, nearly lose Game 6) so they'll be on extra high alert to avoid walking that tightrope again.  But I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Has, I wasn't really attacking you with my comment, more just saying that it's too early to go into "series over" mode. I'm not gonna lie though, if it gets to 3-0 or 3-1 Royals, I'll definitely be thinking the series is done.

I know I harp on Wright too much, and I need to tone it down. There's just a lot about Wright the player that infuriates me...I'm just so tired of the constant failures. I've never attacked Wright the person...he seems like a terrific guy and everyone likes him. I've also pointed out that other players aren't getting it done...it's just that some of the guys who are slumping or not performing as well now at least recently had some big moments. Wright's always seem to be so few and far in between.

The contract is what it is. I would've let him walk myself and said so at the time, but there was a lot of PR involved in him staying (2005-08 was still very fresh in a lot of fans' minds), so I get why Sandy kept him.

Anyway, again, you're being fair here, so I'll try to cut down on the Wright "vitriol"...it would be so nice, just once, if instead of disappearing with everyone else, if he had a big game and gave his teammates something to rally around.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

True '7'...so very true, lol.

Regardless of what happens from here on out, this year has been a blast and a major success. This team has had a lot of big moments and has battled through a lot. The only sobering thought is that WS appearances have been few and far between for this franchise...as long as this franchise fields teams with roughly the same talent level as this one, and the young pitchers all remain healthy and productive, many will think getting to the playoffs but not getting to the big dance will constitute failed seasons...which considering where this team has been for the past eight seasons is kind of sad.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I have three main problems with Wright and two of them have nothing to do with him.

1. He's not Jose Reyes. I locked on to Reyes before he even made it to AA. Remember all those rumors about Reyes for Pinella? He was a dynamic ball player and the catalyst for this team and they turned their back on him. Even today, though he might not be as dynamic he has more to offer than David Wright.

2. His albatross contract. I believe part of the reason he got that contract was because of Fred Wilpon's comments. SA certainly knew better and this is not reminiscent of the deals he makes.

3. This one is on him. He's not a good baseball player any more. He's a heck of a guy. He gives wonderful interviews. He's just lost his touch. It's probably the back but there were signs of him breaking down.

Edited by capo

Has, I wasn't really attacking you with my comment, more just saying that it's too early to go into "series over" mode. I'm not gonna lie though, if it gets to 3-0 or 3-1 Royals, I'll definitely be thinking the series is done.

Okay, I probably shouldn't have taken it as such.

And re: Wright I can't help but get defensive about him considering he's such a rarity - the homegrown star that's probably going to spend his whole career as a Met.  And even more so one that grew up a Mets fan.  I get what you've said on the hockey board about how we can't get too attached but the odds of that kind of thing are infinitesville, especially after what happened with this franchise re: Doc/Darryl and Seaver.  Not to mention he's all class as you know. That's why I just don't want to bag on the dude even though I have been lately cause I'm tired and cranky from these late postseason games, and he certainly hasn't done the job.

Plus until this postseason I felt the whole clutch thing with Wright was way overblown (despite his 2006 postseason) since he did hit over .300 in both September 2007 and September 2008.

CR, you get to watch Tom Brady and then the next day David Wright. Kind of the opposite ends of extremes when it comes to clutch performances for the face of the franchise of your favorite teams. :thumbsup:

You would get sent to timeout on NYFS for that :lol:

(well only slightly exaggerating but they really don't like derogatory comments there :P)

I have three main problems with Wright and two of them have nothing to do with him.

1. He's not Jose Reyes. I locked on to Reyes before he even made it to AA. Remember all those rumors about Reyes for Pinella? He was a dynamic ball player and the catalyst for this team and they turned their back on him. Even today, though he might not be as dynamic he has more to offer than David Wright.

2. His albatross contract. I believe part of the reason he got that contract was because of Fred Wilpon's comments. SA certainly knew better and this is not reminiscent of the deals he makes.

3. This one is on him. He's not a good baseball player any more. He's a heck of a guy. He gives wonderful interviews. He's just lost his touch. It's probably the back but there were signs of him breaking down.

re: Reyes there was a time where I was at least as pro-Reyes if not more so than pro-Wright.  He was colorful and had flair.  2007 changed that for me though, when he got benched repeatedly for not running out grounders and hit .200 in the second half of the season.  Eventually I forgave him and still can't help but like/feel sorry for him even now but he was definitely down a couple notches in my fan book after that.  

re: the Wright contract, I'm not even sure if he finishes it out at this rate, if most of what is said about how he needs five hours to prep for every game is true.  It's easy enough to motivate yourself to do that when it's postseason, harder to do in Game #56 in June after two or three years of this.  Especially assuming he's just a .280 hitter with little power going forward a la Mattingly.  And yeah it's hard to walk away from that kind of money but DW's almost certainly going to be taken care of by the Mets post-career and probably be either working at SNY or on the staff, basically whatever he wants to do.

True '7'...so very true, lol.

Regardless of what happens from here on out, this year has been a blast and a major success. This team has had a lot of big moments and has battled through a lot. The only sobering thought is that WS appearances have been few and far between for this franchise...as long as this franchise fields teams with roughly the same talent level as this one, and the young pitchers all remain healthy and productive, many will think getting to the playoffs but not getting to the big dance will constitute failed seasons...which considering where this team has been for the past eight seasons is kind of sad.

My sobering thought is that I don't trust ownership to do the right thing in coming years, and they have so many key FA's after this year I can't help but see a team next year that looks suspiciously like the one from early this year.  It almost feels like a one-hit wonder type of thing even with the great pitching and no innings limit drama next year, which is why there feels like more pressure to win now than there should be the closer they get.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And one other general point about the bats (speaking of NYFS, I saw this posted there and it's quite sobering tbh):

Since the 8 game winning streak was snapped on 9/15 (the game where Yo got hit in the 1st, they loaded the bases, Koehler got out of it and deGrom got roughed up), including playoffs:

Yo: .216/.252/.343 
TdA: .163/.202/.272 4/30 BB/K in 99 PAs (yeesh)
DW: .231/.369/.362 (at least he's getting on)
Conforto: .174/.189/.362 2/19 BB/K in 75 PAs
Cuddyer: .184/.200/.236 1 BB/13 K 
Flores: .218/.266/.291 

Basically nobody BUT Granderson and Murphy's been doing the job consistently for the last six weeks, which is another reason I can't only harp on David.

fwiw I heard Jayson Stark on ESPN opine that Cespedes hasn't been the same since getting hit on the hand.  These numbers seem to bear that out even though he did get a couple of HR's early in the playoffs.

Edited by NJDevs4978