New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

It's more cause the Mets DO have starting pitching depth that it doesn't feel like its a day of mourning yet. If it was one of the big two (Harvey, deGrom) or any of the position regulars (Wright, Duda, even Lagares) then it'd be a bigger deal. Of course other pitchers will probably go down at some point too, watch Colon be the only guy who makes 30 starts :P

If anything it's just more annoying we became Baghdad Sandy and Terry than anything else. And feeling bad for Wheeler too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's funny...maybe I'm just so used to things going wrong for the Mets, but I'm to the point where Wheeler isn't really affecting me that much.  I think part of it is that we were all kind of hoping Zack would automatically improve off last season, when we don't really have that much evidence to suggest that would've happened.  Zack could very well have turned in a season similar to 2014 again. 

It's like I said...if you're strictly going by Zack's 2014, that in itself isn't impossible to replace.  I would've been a lot more crushed if deGrom or Harvey had been hurt.  I actually think the Mets can survive this one.       

You're definitely right, I'm just kinda in woe is me mode as a Mets fan right now, but just a cursory look at Zack's stats. 11-11. 3.54 era (not terribly impressive in a more pitching heavy era, a 3.5 era would be spectacular in like 1999)...an inability to go deep into games, control issues. His numbers are not going to be difficult to replace. I mean Gee likely can't do it, but I'd expect Syndergaard or Matz to at least put up something similar

Funny thing about Zack is, if you're a sabes guy, the sabes actually say that his traditional numbers were right about where they should have been...that he didn't really pitch into tremendous luck or poor luck overall.  (He pitched into a lot of luck in 2013...his 3.42 ERA was a lot better than he really deserved).    

A lot of his numbers did improve in 2014 over 2013 (most notably, his K% and GB-to-FB ratio), and he was very good for a while in the second half, but he seems like a guy who's never going to be able to put it together over a full season.  This is a bad way to quantify it (I should be going with better "measurement" numbers), but I think with him, we'll always be hoping for 19-7, 2.60 and will more likely get 14-11, 3.60, with some good "hey, he's getting it" tease bursts.  I was hopeful this year though...I'm more ticked that his losing a year of development.  He's also the kind of guy that I could see almost having to start over once he's back on the mound...I think for him, this is more of a setback than it would be for many others. 

And I have a feeling the future is 2015, as far as the young arms go.  At least one more Mets starter is going to miss games this season.  I think Syndergaard will definitely get some time in the Met rotation this season, as will Matz.  If the Mets feel like Matz isn't ready, it wouldn't surprise me if Bowman or Pill get a look too. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Solid four innings for Harvey.  3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K 

They wanted him to go four today, so I'm assuming he's done. 

It's more cause the Mets DO have starting pitching depth that it doesn't feel like its a day of mourning yet. If it was one of the big two (Harvey, deGrom) or any of the position regulars (Wright, Duda, even Lagares) then it'd be a bigger deal. Of course other pitchers will probably go down at some point too, watch Colon be the only guy who makes 30 starts :P

If anything it's just more annoying we became Baghdad Sandy and Terry than anything else. And feeling bad for Wheeler too.

Heh, be careful with Lagares, he always seems to be nicked up somewhere

He might be, but they kind of need him considering he's in between Granderson/Cuddyer and behind Tejada/Murphy, he basically has to cover five positions surrounded by all that fielding junk. And I do think he can at least hit for an acceptable average offensively with some speed.

Man, I was looking forward to Wheeler pitching this year, and I heard he's supposed to be as good as Harvey.  What a blow before the season has even started.

Do you watch the Mets?  Zack has already been up here for a year and a half.  As far as development goes, Harvey was definitely ahead of him.  Wheeler is more of a "if he puts it all together" kind of pitcher at this point.  He's shown flashes of what could be, but his main issues have been control/concentration, and high pitch counts.  Zack has been prone to laboring...he's usually around 100 pitches by the end of the 6th inning.  He's been among the leaders in pitches-per-inning since reaching the majors. 

That hasn't been an issue with Harvey at all...Harvey's control is excellent and then some. 

Terry the Village Idiot is lucky that TJ surgeries are happening all over the place, because he's definitely abused both Harvey and Wheeler at times.  The fact that Wheeler had elbow issues last season and Collins apparently knew about them but kept pushing him to 100-120 pitches every start anyway...it's maddening.  Still can't wait for the Mets to get a real manager.    

Do you watch the Mets?  Zack has already been up here for a year and a half.  As far as development goes, Harvey was definitely ahead of him.  Wheeler is more of a "if he puts it all together" kind of pitcher at this point.  He's shown flashes of what could be, but his main issues have been control/concentration, and high pitch counts.  Zack has been prone to laboring...he's usually around 100 pitches by the end of the 6th inning.  He's been among the leaders in pitches-per-inning since reaching the majors. 

That hasn't been an issue with Harvey at all...Harvey's control is excellent and then some. 

Terry the Village Idiot is lucky that TJ surgeries are happening all over the place, because he's definitely abused both Harvey and Wheeler at times.  The fact that Wheeler had elbow issues last season and Collins apparently knew about them but kept pushing him to 100-120 pitches every start anyway...it's maddening.  Still can't wait for the Mets to get a real manager.    

I watch as much as I can, but between my personal schedule, being 1,200 miles away, and baseball being the 162 game long ass season that it is, my viewing, knowledge, and attention to detail is limited.  I knew he had gotten a start in the big league, but as you said it hasn't been a whole lot and he as far as I knew he was still a work in progress.  I had just heard rumblings that he had potential.  Whether or not he lives up to that remains to be seen of course, but when I heard he was going to miss the entire year today, that had me down.  The Mets have obviously been a dumpster fire for the better part of the last decade, if not decade and a half, so it was inspiring to hear and read that this year was "supposed' to be different.  Not saying this changes it completely, but it sure doesn't help, and it just has the feeling of "Of course this happens to the Mets".  The joke for the last few years has been that the season ends as soon as the opening pitch is thrown, and now they get dealt a pretty good blow before the season even begins!   You can't make this sh!t up, that's for sure.

I watch as much as I can, but between my personal schedule, being 1,200 miles away, and baseball being the 162 game long ass season that it is, my viewing, knowledge, and attention to detail is limited.  I knew he had gotten a start in the big league, but as you said it hasn't been a whole lot and he as far as I knew he was still a work in progress.  I had just heard rumblings that he had potential.  Whether or not he lives up to that remains to be seen of course, but when I heard he was going to miss the entire year today, that had me down.  The Mets have obviously been a dumpster fire for the better part of the last decade, if not decade and a half, so it was inspiring to hear and read that this year was "supposed' to be different.  Not saying this changes it completely, but it sure doesn't help, and it just has the feeling of "Of course this happens to the Mets".  The joke for the last few years has been that the season ends as soon as the opening pitch is thrown, and now they get dealt a pretty good blow before the season even begins!   You can't make this sh!t up, that's for sure.

Yeah, goes without saying it's been a rough run.  Sandy hasn't really done very much to help...he's basically been bringing up or keeping players that were drafted or signed during Omar's regime (Harvey, deGrom, Mejia, Familia, Murphy, and Duda, among others), and he was able to cash in on two trades where he got very lucky:  RA Dickey had a Cy Young year out of nowhere, which spiked his trade value (in fairness, I do have to give Sandy credit for striking while the iron was hot on that one...Sandy could've signed him to an extension), and Beltran played well enough and stayed healthy in his walk year, which ensured that he was going to bring back a nice prospect when he was traded to a contender (Wheeler).  Sandy's had some lousy bullpen signings and some of his other moves have been very iffy.  He's had opportunities to get this thing turned around sooner, but has been very meek and passive, often appearing outright lazy and indifferent.  If the Mets turn this around, unless Sandy comes to life and actually starts making moves that really have an impact, he's going to get more credit for the Mets' success than he really deserves. 

This season should be different, as long as - gasp! - Harvey and deGrom pitch like we think they can, and everyone else stays healthy.  Matz and Syndergaard's eyes should be lighting up...they have an awesome opportunity here.  Gee is Gee...he's OK, but Matz and Syndergaard clearly have much higher upside.  I'd like to think they haven't just handed Wheeler's turn to Gee, who really faded down the stretch last year.

Suffice it to say that losing deGrom or Harvey would've stung a lot more.  Those guys are simply better than Zack right now. 

Yeah, goes without saying it's been a rough run.  Sandy hasn't really done very much to help...he's basically been bringing up or keeping players that were drafted or signed during Omar's regime (Harvey, deGrom, Mejia, Familia, Murphy, and Duda, among others), and he was able to cash in on two trades where he got very lucky:  RA Dickey had a Cy Young year out of nowhere, which spiked his trade value (in fairness, I do have to give Sandy credit for striking while the iron was hot on that one...Sandy could've signed him to an extension), and Beltran played well enough and stayed healthy in his walk year, which ensured that he was going to bring back a nice prospect when he was traded to a contender (Wheeler).  Sandy's had some lousy bullpen signings and some of his other moves have been very iffy.  He's had opportunities to get this thing turned around sooner, but has been very meek and passive, often appearing outright lazy and indifferent.  If the Mets turn this around, unless Sandy comes to life and actually starts making moves that really have an impact, he's going to get more credit for the Mets' success than he really deserves. 

This season should be different, as long as - gasp! - Harvey and deGrom pitch like we think they can, and everyone else stays healthy.  Matz and Syndergaard's eyes should be lighting up...they have an awesome opportunity here.  Gee is Gee...he's OK, but Matz and Syndergaard clearly have much higher upside.  I'd like to think they haven't just handed Wheeler's turn to Gee, who really faded down the stretch last year.

Yeah, the stuff I'm hearing now is that Gee essentially saved a roster spot in the rotation now with Wheeler out.  I do keep hearing too though that this kid Steven Matz is supposed to be even better.  

For a long time, it was all about Montero and Syndergaard.  It's funny, but Montero has almost been forgotten...no one is talking about him, and he's the guy who actually got a call-up last season (with mixed results...his control has never been as pinpoint since he moved up from AA).  The rumor is that Matz is now slightly ahead of Syndergaard in the minds of the Mets' braintrust, but who really knows?  Everything I've seen on line today is saying that Syndergaard and Matz are headed to AAA no matter what they do, which sucks, but I can't say I'm surprised.  The good news I'm guessing Gee is going to get a pretty short leash...he's probably two or so bad starts from being replaced by Syndergaard or Matz. 

Oh yea, Matz is definitely ahead of Syndergaard now. And I think the Mets know he's major league ready this second and better than Gee. Syndergaard will go down for more seasoning, but Matz will be sent down to wait in the wings. If Gee can turn in a few good April starts it will drive up his trade value, and when another arm goes down for some other team (and it will) the Mets will be able to optimize their return for Gee. Matz then comes up and fill his spot in the rotation and Gee is traded.

I do not think Gee is in the Mets long term plans. MAYBE he can stick in the pen but I'm not sure he wants that.

Montero is indeed a forgotten man. Reminds me a bit of Dotel. Dynamic stuff but very wild and raw. I'm willing to wait around a bit longer to see if he can harness his stuff...but he may develop into a solid bullpen arm

FWIW Johnny Monell hit another hr today. 3rd of spring training. Soon to be 29 year old backup catcher...never played in a big league game before. Not sure what to make of him, but he's crushing the baseball.

Oh yea, Matz is definitely ahead of Syndergaard now. And I think the Mets know he's major league ready this second and better than Gee. Syndergaard will go down for more seasoning, but Matz will be sent down to wait in the wings. If Gee can turn in a few good April starts it will drive up his trade value, and when another arm goes down for some other team (and it will) the Mets will be able to optimize their return for Gee. Matz then comes up and fill his spot in the rotation and Gee is traded.

I do not think Gee is in the Mets long term plans. MAYBE he can stick in the pen but I'm not sure he wants that.

Montero is indeed a forgotten man. Reminds me a bit of Dotel. Dynamic stuff but very wild and raw. I'm willing to wait around a bit longer to see if he can harness his stuff...but he may develop into a solid bullpen arm

Who really knows?  It's too early to say for sure.  It probably doesn't matter much who's ahead of who at this point.  If Syndergaard outpitches Matz in AAA, then Syndergaard will become the fair-haired boy again. 

I have a funny feeling the Mets aren't going to move anyone for a while.  They need to keep Gee around for insurance...Syndergaard and Matz are tantalizing for obvious reasons, but both could easily fail in their first callups (lots of touted prospects do), and we're assuming they're going to pitch well enough in AAA to get called up in the first place.  Gee doesn't have sex appeal, but he does have experience and decent major-league numbers overall.  

Funny, the Mets have an off-day and it feels like they haven't played in a week. 

Syndergaard and Matz pitching on Saturday.  Game won't be televised, which kind of sucks...would've like to have watched that one. 

Split-squad today:  Niese against St. Louis today, Gee against Houston (ex-Met Collin McHugh is pitching for the Astros).  Tyler Pill (25 in May, had a decent year in AA) and Matthew Bowman (24 in May, was OK in both in AA and AAA) assigned to minor-league camp.  One nice thing about this year's potential AAA rotation:  no filler.  Syndergaard, Matz, Bowman, Pill, possibly Montero (depending on whether or not he makes the big club as a reliever).  At least all of this group has a chance to pitch in the majors eventually...not all as starting pitchers, and not all with the Mets, but they're a lot better than some of the chum that the 51s were trotting out last season.

It sounds like Montero is at least a strong consideration for the pen though they want to keep him as a starter:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/98891/rafael-montero-likely-to-make-bullpen

"From my standpoint, to the extent that we can keep him and avoid sending him back to Vegas, that would be a good thing," Alderson said about Montero. "He’s done very well over almost two seasons at Vegas. I’d hate to overcook a guy by sending him back again. But if it’s necessary, it is. Anyway, the numbers do suggest he has a better opportunity now than he did before."

Alderson suggested Montero was the alternative to Gee to enter the rotation with Wheeler needing Tommy John surgery. The organization continues to view Montero as a starter long term, the GM added.

It's really funny what's happened with Montero...he really has become the forgotten man.  It's Syndergaard-Syndergaard-Syndergaard, Matz-Matz-Matz...I'm guilty of it too.  It's like his limited mixed-results time in the majors last season (and the uptick in walks since going to AAA) has really hurt him.  And with Harvey and deGrom (and to a lesser extent, Wheeler) taking the majors by storm, it's like "Well, Montero struggled a bit when he got called up, so he won't be any good."  He would've had more mystique if he had spent the whole year in Vegas. 

Murphy left the game today with a tight hamstring

Vic Black shut down with shoulder inflammation.  Will anyone be surprised when this turns out to be serious?

Good outing for Montero yesterday (looking more and more like he's making the team out of spring, due to injuries creating opportunities) and some others yesterday.  Gee pitched 3.2 scoreless innings but didn't strike out anyone...he's walked 4 and struck out 4, which is continuing his trend of last season, when his walks went up and his Ks went down.  I think Syndergaard or Matz is going to get an opportunity to start in the majors by the end of May.  I can't see Gee pitching well enough for long enough to hold them off.  Just hope it won't be a doomsday scenario (where all three struggle).

The Vic Black stuff is starting to sound like one of those "Where there's smoke there's fire" type things. Shoulder inflammation. Guess nothing structural showed up on the MRI's but...you just gotta wonder at this point. Vic is saying he'll be ready for opening day, but Terry is refuting that saying that he's personally not so sure.

This sucks. Guys are dropping like flies

Yes, sucks, but all too commonplace today.  The "good" news is that Montero may get out of Vegas for good, which I think is a VERY good thing for young pitchers...especially for Montero.  I'm not sure how much he really has left to prove in Vegas...his BB were higher there than the Mets would like, but his numbers there were pretty solid otherwise.