New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Bobby Parnell...good god just release this loser already. Guy is so beyond useless.

Agree with you to an extent 4798 re: Parnell getting crap innings, but this guy can barely even get outs. It's sad and painful to watch, and Parnell is so mentally fragile as it is.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Good point re: Gee...someone or multiple someones with the Mets don't like him. That was clear when they chose Stauffer over Gee to be the garbage inning guy.

Wow has this game gotten Little League bad. This is some of the worst baseball I've ever seen.

Everyone is better than Bobby. He's in a league of suckage all by himself.

Re: Robles, time for someone to have a serious sitdown with him. It's only a matter of time before one or more of his teammates pay for his crap.

Duda is going to be a strikeout machine come playoff time.

And the #1 culprit tonight is Verrett as far as I'm concerned. When the team stakes you to a 5-0 lead, find a way to get through six innings. And throw strikes. I know he's young and doesn't have much experience, but he was maddening tonight with all of the balls and walks.

That's the other problem...the rest of the garbage in the pen really isn't that much better than Bobby at this point :P

Enjoy your one or two meaningless wins troll

I didn't say it was always bad. The Flores thing wasn't bad theater. Storming from out of nowhere to win the division easily wasn't bad theater. But no matter what the Mets involve themselves in, it's theater. They got New York on their chests, don't they? Everything's gotta be a show.

I enjoy every win, Devils, Phillies, last place or first. So I will absolutely enjoy however many wins are left in this team. I'll reflect on the season for a few days and head right into enjoying every meaningless Devils win.

Bobby has a five-cent fart for an arm and Robles has a five-cent fart for a brain.  Robles IS going to blow up in a playoff game with his emotional nonsense, I'd put money on it.

Do you think Terry is dumb enough to throw him into a big spot under the lights game 5 in LA? I'd hope someone in that dugout can talk some sense into him if he went off the cliff like that.

They're going to have to be careful with when they use Robles...though let's not kid ourselves, this bullpen is shaky. Some of the scarier guys obviously won't be anywhere near the playoff roster, but yeah, guys like Niese, Robles, and Torres will get work at some point. Colon might get bullpen innings too. The big three are going to have to be almost flawless in their games.

And it wouldn't surprise me if some of Robles' teammates are pissed off at him tonight. Whether it was intentional or not, his actions fired up the Phils just enough. And his crap led to Bobby fvcking Parnell seeing action in a close game, which we know can only lead to trainwreck results.

Very odd night. One of those games that calls for a quick team meeting.

I'm not really surprised by this stumble...they were on a ridiculous road tear and just came off an emotional, division-clinching series. But it's an opportunity to regain some needed focus. Keith just echoed my sentiments re: this team getting its mojo back via a quick meeting.

Cespedes isn't done for the year. That's the real victory tonight.

I'm not really surprised by this stumble...they were on a ridiculous road tear and just came off an emotional, division-clinching series. But it's an opportunity to regain some needed focus. Keith just echoed my sentiments re: this team getting its mojo back via a quick meeting.

Cespedes isn't done for the year. That's the real victory tonight.

Yes thank god. This team is just drained post clinch, probably partied a little too hard and took their eye off the ball. Caught a major break today...but we still have to make sure Matz is ok, and Flores (who was supposedly sick) now has a stiff back as well. And Duda had one later in the season. What kind of cheap Value Inn motel mattresses are the Wilpons having these guys sleep on during road trips...

Dodgers get shut out by the Giants and have now lost 9 of their last 12.

Some will undoubtedly criticize the Mets for this stumble against the Phils (especially if they get swept), but in an 162-game season, sh!t happens.  Dodgers just got swept by the Rockies.  The Mets were 14-2 against the Phillies coming into this series...just by the very nature of baseball alone, it's really hard to win every series against an opponent (especially with multiple sweeps).  For the most part, a season series is a microcosm of the full season, in that even awful teams usually win at least 60 out of 162 games...so it stands to reason that even a rotten team should find some way to win 4 or 5 games out of a 19-game season series.  If the Mets finish 15-4 or 14-5 against the Phils, they still did a fine job against them, regardless of how they got there. 

If there's anything good that can come out of the last two nights, it's that the Mets pretty much have to flick the switch back on now...they're 6-8 in their last 14, and seem to be prone to letting down after big moments.  It's a long season and they've had some emotional series lately (sweeping Atlanta in Terror Field, sweeping the Reds and clinching during that series), but I'm sure that they don't want to go into the playoffs stumbling.  I'm sure they'd like to find a way to win at least two out of three against the Nats to feel like normalcy has been restored at home. 

And don't mean to harp on Parnell, but that guy shouldn't be allowed to throw another pitch in 2015.  It's one thing when a guy is slumping badly but there's reason for hope (kind of like Clippard).  There's nothing there with Parnell, absolutely nothing.  His numbers in his last 17 appearances (when he flat-out ran out of luck, which he was getting a lot of earlier when he first came off the DL):

11.2 IP, 21 H, 19 R, 16 ER, 13 BB, 5 K, 2.91 WHIP (?!)

You've got B and C guys who can least register some garbage outs when needed...it may not be pretty, but at least they can slog their way through a couple of innings.  Parnell's numbers say it all...the guy simply can't get retire major league hitters at anywhere near an acceptable rate.  The above is usually what you see just before a guy realizes that he can't compete in the major leagues anymore.  And at this point it's not even fair to Parnell...his makeup has always been shaky to begin with, and he probably has no confidence whatsoever, and the fans who associate him with the loser Mets don't want to see him coming into these games, in what's supposed to be a new era of Mets baseball.  Against the Nats, if TC insists on bringing him in, all it's going to do is lead to a merciless amount of booing (first when he's coming in, and next when he comes out after inevitably sucking). 

And I have to give credit to the Phillies' Herrera...he got hit with a pitch that was clearly an intentional make-up pitch, and simply put his head down and trotted down to first.  That's what makes what Robles did even more aggravating...hopefully none of this spills over into today. 

Crazy paranoid me...Dodgers losing 9 of 12 just means they will roll into the playoffs right on the verge of starting another hot streak.

Parnell is literally a white flag. Not only is his velocity not there, but he has no movement on any of his pitches. It is quite literally no different from putting Anthony Recker on the mound. I'm not sure if the offseason will help him or if he's messed up forever, but he doesn't look like a guy who's long for the majors anymore, both mentally and physically

Murphy deserves some credit of late, he's been tearing the cover off the ball and probably our most consistent hitter for the past 3 weeks.

heh, Mets sure trotted out the D Team lineup tonight. Though so far so good from Gilmartin

I think there's a lot behind this...some of it making sure that most of the A team isn't subjected to any retribution due to Robles' stupidity. I wouldn't have blamed Ruf one bit if he sprinted towards the mound with the hopes of beating Robles to a pulp. Really hope as many Mets as possible talked some sense into him.

I think it's pretty obvious the Mets aren't thinking win or lose...they just want get out of here intact. Even if Gilmartin gives this team 4-5 good innings, Stauffer's probably going 3 or 4...he's probably giving up at least three runs.

Oh I agree 4798, there was more than just the extracurricular crap that factored in here. But the Mets could use a win here...it's clear that's not the priority at all now.

Feels like the mid-July Mets...other team scores a couple of runs and it feels like Game Over. That is a brutal lineup out there today.