New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

And just like that, a market may have opened up for Dillon Gee:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12455633/marcus-stroman-toronto-blue-jays-torn-left-acl

I don't kid myself on the return for Gee.  Last season just about all of his numbers trended the wrong way from July 19 on...once GMs take a gander at his 2014 game log, they'll see that and wonder if hitters caught onto him (or if his velocity dropped, etc).  It wouldn't surprise me if GMs tried to find someone better first.  Gee ain't cheap either...he's only on a one-year deal, but it's for $5.3 million, and as we've seen, he's an injury risk.     

Rough one for Harvey today.  2.2 IP, 6 H (some grounders though), 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K 

Syndergaard pitching in the 4th.

Harvey showed me a lot his first outing though. Hopefully today was more "experimental" and that resulted in the poorer outing. Don't really know...didn't watch. I just hope his velocity is there. If it's there he should be fine

Tejada with two doubles? heh...that's something for lazy ol Rubes.

fwiw, Nieuwenhuis is raking right now.

Edited by '7'

Harvey showed me a lot his first outing though. Hopefully today was more "experimental" and that resulted in the poorer outing. Don't really know...didn't watch. I just hope his velocity is there. If it's there he should be fine

Tejada with two doubles? heh...that's something for lazy ol Rubes.

fwiw, Nieuwenhuis is raking right now.

It's only early spring...I don't make too much of this stuff.  More just pointing out today was a little rougher for him.

Nice bounceback for Syndergaard.  2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 5 K

3 IP each for DeGrom and Matz.  Pretty good second outings for both. 

Mets are 3-6 for the spring so far.  I could be 100% wrong on this, but I think they are actually trying to parlay momentum from a solid spring record to a strong start in the regular season (teams sometimes do this in preseason, though obviously not all of the time).  Just hope if the losses pile up, that this team doesn't let it affect them in any way. 

Mets win 11-9 today...a lot of fattening up at the end of the game for both teams on reliever chum.  Lefty Dario Alvarez gave up 3 BB and a hit without retiring anyone in a 5-run National ninth, and the Mets scored 9 in the bottom of the 8th. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Edgin looks like he needs Tommy John surgery

I know it's early and the sample sizes are small, but nice to see Lagares hitting .412 thus far, and Matt Reynolds .500

Edited by '7'

The TJ epidemic really is mystifying.  I'll always believe the babying that now starts in Little League really hurts these guys.  Minor league starting pitching prospects are constantly held to 5-6 IP.  These guys don't start throwing 100+ pitches until they get to the majors, after having their arms handled like glass since they were kids.  The oldsters will tell you they just threw all of the time. 

Of course, the other extreme is no better...there were college programs back in the day who would blow out arms due to abuse (with only a four-year investment, what did they care if they burned out young arms?).  I remember reading a story about a guy who threw 199 pitches and then came on to pitch in relief the next day.  Mel Stottlemeyer once yanked son Todd out of a college (forget which one) when Mel thought Todd was being overused. 

Yeah, re:  Lagares, let's face it, if he could ever smell .290+/.340+ as a leadoff guy...with his fielding, we'll take it and run with it.  It won't make him a leadoff beast at the plate, but we can definitely live with it.  God knows Sandy's strength isn't finding OB% guys...he's terrific at finding guys who whiff a lot and don't hit for average though. 

The TJ epidemic really is mystifying. I'll always believe the babying that now starts in Little League really hurts these guys. Minor league starting pitching prospects are constantly held to 5-6 IP. These guys don't start throwing 100+ pitches until they get to the majors, after having their arms handled like glass since they were kids. The oldsters will tell you they just threw all of the time.

Of course, the other extreme is no better...there were college programs back in the day who would blow out arms due to abuse (with only a four-year investment, what did they care if they burned out young arms?). I remember reading a story about a guy who threw 199 pitches and then came on to pitch in relief the next day. Mel Stottlemeyer once yanked son Todd out of a college (forget which one) when Mel thought Todd was being overused.

Yeah, re: Lagares, let's face it, if he could ever smell .290+/.340+ as a leadoff guy...with his fielding, we'll take it and run with it. It won't make him a leadoff beast at the plate, but we can definitely live with it. God knows Sandy's strength isn't finding OB% guys...he's terrific at finding guys who whiff a lot and don't hit for average though.

Dan Plesac's theory is that all that these guys do is pitch starting from relatively early on. Most of them

are all great athletes and should be playing different sports in high school like a lot of position players do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Plesac's theory is that all that these guys do is pitch starting from relatively early on. Most of them

are all great athletes and should be playing different sports in high school like a lot of position players do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting.  Wonder if he's done research on it. 

I do think the minor-league stuff can be a problem though.  Dwight Gooden threw 195 innings in his lone minor-league season.  You never see that anymore...seems like it's 150-160 IP in a minor-league season, max, and often less than that. 

To quote MIA nmig: "Pitchers"

At least they have depth...Matz, Syndergaard, and Gee. And it looks like the Mets might be thinking of Montero as a reliever at this point.

To quote MIA nmig: "Pitchers"

At least they have depth...Matz, Syndergaard, and Gee. And it looks like the Mets might be thinking of Montero as a reliever at this point.

Yea, baseball is nothing more than an arms race at this point. Whoever has the most pitchers standing at the end, wins. That's why I'm sometimes hesitant to throw in a Syndergaard or Matz into a deal for a big 30+ year old bat. I'm always on guard we'll have 3 arms on the DL by August.

Anyway, Vic Black had his MRI and it showed no structural damage.

Mets crushed Washington today 13-4. Wright finally hit a HR. His first HR of any kind since last July.

Agree '7', in that trying to figure out when to deal arms a double-edged sword, in many ways.  The funny thing is, once arms start going down, it's easy to say "Geez, should've traded this guy before he got hurt!"

Yeah, as we've seen, we can't even get 200 IP out of our starters.  As far as this year goes, Harvey's going to receive handle-with-care treatment, who knows with Wheeler with this elbow issue, Colon actually cracked 200 IP last season but is almost 42, Niese has never been durable, and I'm not sure if deGrom is on an innings limit.  So it wouldn't shock me if the Mets didn't have anyone reach that again this year.  And Matz and Syndergaard, if they step in for anyone who gets hurt, will be limited as well.  And Gee...also not exactly known for durability.

Agree '7', in that trying to figure out when to deal arms a double-edged sword, in many ways.  The funny thing is, once arms start going down, it's easy to say "Geez, should've traded this guy before he got hurt!"

I didn't think of it that way but that's a good point too, I was getting more in the camp of I'm glad we didn't trade anyone because all these guys have a propensity for going down so you need depth.  They claim the elbow issue is nothing with Wheeler and he managed it at times last year but if it's something he's had to manage for a while then I'd be worried about it being a ticking time bomb at this point even if it's nothing bad 'now'.

And apparently there's a book out on Sandy Alderson that Rubin's been Tweeting/mocking all day :lol:

Rubin really hasn't been doing all that much mocking.  Not sure how much credit Sandy will ultimately deserve for "reviving" the Mets.  He's already a year behind the projected start of the contention window, and a lot of the arms were Minaya picks.  Even the ones that weren't...Sandy had a lot of good fortune in getting them.  I think a better GM could've gotten things moving on a faster timetable.   

Tommy John for Edgin, MRI for Zack. I have a feeling it's going to be something serious with Zack.

Tommy John for Edgin, MRI for Zack. I have a feeling it's going to be something serious with Zack.

yea worried about Zack too. So far no news

Colon got roughed up by the Rays today...but he's one guy I really don't worry about. We know what we're going to get from him.

yea worried about Zack too. So far no news

Colon got roughed up by the Rays today...but he's one guy I really don't worry about. We know what we're going to get from him.

Yeah, Colon is what he is.  Last year is about what I would expect from him.  Overall his numbers will be a little below-average, but they're misleading because he has occasional Bronson Arroyo-type shellings that skew the overall numbers.

Here's the "good" news about Wheeler:  the Mets went 15-17 in Wheeler's starts last season.  Wheeler improved in the second half, so the Mets obviously won more when he started in the second half, but it's not like the Mets are trying to approximate something like 20-12.  Obviously the idea wasn't to keep status quo and go roughly .500 in Wheeler's starts this season, but if Wheeler is done for the season (and I think he will be), the Mets don't have to get ace-like performance out of Wheeler's turn.  If Matt Harvey can be Matt Harvey again, that helps even more. 

And if Matz and/or Syndergaard look like they're ready, don't just stick Dillon Gee in that spot, just because.  Nothing against Gee, but I think the Mets already saw his best. 

Re:  Edgin's potential replacement, apparently John Franco has been working very hard with Jack Leathersich, trying to get him to pound the zone. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-insider-john-franco-helps-jack-leathersich-grip-article-1.2148926

Funny thing is Franco was never really a pound-the-zone guy, especially as he got older...his game was getting hitters to swing and miss on pitches outside the zone, usually off-speed stuff.  He rarely made it look easy.   

Oh good grief, torn UCL for Wheeler, likely TJS and his season's done. And the Mets can **** off for pooh poohing his elbow issues.

Guess Gee back to the rotation now.

I want to see that spot be an open competition between Syndergaard, Matz, and Gee.  May the best man win.  No Super Two crap, no making a decision based on dollars.  Just go with the guy who shows the most and deserves a shot. 

And of course the Mets look like buffoons with the "Oh no we're not that worried" crap.

Leo Mazzone was on the WFAN Sunday morning around 10 am, and he basically shredded how pitchers are handled today.  It was a great interview.  And even better, the interview wasn't conducted by Fatso, who would've trampled all over Mazzone's answers and basically wrecked the whole spot. 

I just feel like I've been kicked in the stomach regarding Wheeler. I mean thank goodness we didnt trade any arms...but good grief. Season 3 weeks away and we've already lost 2 to Tommy John.

I'm in one of those "This is why we cant have nice things moods"

And yea the Mets do look like buffoons trying to be dismissive of it before they had any real hard medical information in front of them.

It's funny...maybe I'm just so used to things going wrong for the Mets, but I'm to the point where Wheeler isn't really affecting me that much.  I think part of it is that we were all kind of hoping Zack would automatically improve off last season, when we don't really have that much evidence to suggest that would've happened.  Zack could very well have turned in a season similar to 2014 again. 

It's like I said...if you're strictly going by Zack's 2014, that in itself isn't impossible to replace.  I would've been a lot more crushed if deGrom or Harvey had been hurt.  I actually think the Mets can survive this one.