New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Papelbon isn't a serial choker though...he's been clutch many, many times. He's no Armando Benitez or Billy Wagner.

Mets go 12-12, Nats need to go 19-5. No way the Nats have that in them. Mets just need to not screw this up. Just hope they don't have a letdown series against the Braves.

I mean theoretically it's possible to blow it but when you have on back-to-back nights the bullpen coming up with several scoreless innings out of nowhere after Niese spits the bit followed by the 7-1 comeback after Harvey spit the bit with KIRK hitting the game-winning HR...they just can't flop now.  

And the most amazing thing about this, is just like that, flip of a friggin' switch, the Mets are doing everything to the Nats that the Nats used to do to them. The last two games are EXACTLY the kinds of losses the Mets would suffer at their hands. At this rate you almost wonder if Williams even survives the season (though he probably does).

I think Cespedes has to start getting NL MVP recognition. With the amount of inter-league play I have to start thinking that it is legit. Yes, the Nats have collapsed. But, where would the Mets be without Yoenis Cespedes? He's their MVP, hands down.

He's made Alderson exec of the year. And... he just released the clause in his contract that prevents the Mets from re-signing him within that 5 day span. He seems to like orange and blue...

Cespedes would have to continue shredding it for the rest of the month...and even then, you'll hear a lot of "But he wasn't even in the NL for half the season." But IF he continues to kill it as a Met, I think he absolutely deserves consideration. And in a series that the Nats at the very least needed to win, Harper did absolutely nothing...that shouldn't be overlooked.

You're right. He definitely has to continue to produce... He is showing absolutely no signs of letting up til this point. Let's hope it continues and we'll see where we end up...

Unfortunately, even if Cespedes continues to produce at an RBI-per-game pace (with so many of them feeling like important ones) and just be the beast he's been since donning the blue and orange, Harper's numbers are so off-the-charts (1.106 OB+SLG...that's Steroid Era numbers) that I think voters will fall into the age-old mistake of voting for the Player of the Year.  Has Harper had the best all-around year in the NL this season?  Yeah, probably.  And though he's come up small in this particular series, voters who will still vote for him because of the gaudy numbers will defend their choice by saying that it's not Harper's fault that Scherzer completely disappeared, that the bullpen had some memorable implosions (like last night), that the pitching staff really wasn't all that great overall given the expectations, that his team suffered a number of injuries, etc.  What it all boils down to is Cespedes is going to have go completely nuts, and even then, if some voters start to get down on Harper, they'll gravitate towards Rizzo and McCutchen (who are definitely in the MVP mix already and deservedly so...even more so now with Harper's team failing in its biggest series of the year, with Harper a key culprit). 

I do think Cespedes will get votes...wouldn't surprise me to see him finish 5th or 6th.  Keep in mind that Kershaw and Greinke will probably get some votes too. 

But even if he's not the league MVP, he's definitely the Mets' MVP:  53-50 before he got here, 24-11 since...and that's with the pitching staff not being nearly as good overall since being swept by Pittsburgh. 

-----------------------------------

Bummer news:  Todd Zeile turns 50 today.  How the hell did THAT happen?  Forget his Mets days...I remember when he was a highly touted catching prospect in the Cardinals' system in the 80s.  Yikes...

Depending on how the season goes this game could go down as one of the top 15 Mets regular season wins of all time. Just totally unexpected, and I was ready to quietly accept things, move on to deGrom happily knowing that the nightmare scenario of getting swept has already been avoided, and after the Taylor inside the parker it just didnt seem like our night...but they battled and clawed back and the Nats folded up like a cheap tent once again. And what is with those clowns taking curtain calls and showboating after home runs? Ramos did it two nights ago, Taylor did it last night after his inside the parker (which like most inside the parkers had a heavy dose of luck and a misplay involved...lucky bounce) and he's taking a curtain call? You're 5 out at that point with 20 something games left. Reminds me of idiot player doing sack dances in games that are down 20+ pts.

And for all of Harpers brilliant numbers, before the Mets came into town, during the Nats little good stretch that entire offense was carried entirely by Ryan Zimmerman. He's the one who sparked them, not Harper (and he might get fewer votes than expected because, well...he's a bit of an a$$hole. Not Albert Belle level, but an unpleasant guy nontheless)

Depending on how the season goes this game could go down as one of the top 15 Mets regular season wins of all time. Just totally unexpected, and I was ready to quietly accept things, move on to deGrom happily knowing that the nightmare scenario of getting swept has already been avoided, and after the Taylor inside the parker it just didnt seem like our night...but they battled and clawed back and the Nats folded up like a cheap tent once again. And what is with those clowns taking curtain calls and showboating after home runs? Ramos did it two nights ago, Taylor did it last night after his inside the parker (which like most inside the parkers had a heavy dose of luck and a misplay involved...lucky bounce) and he's taking a curtain call? You're 5 out at that point with 20 something games left. Reminds me of idiot player doing sack dances in games that are down 20+ pts.

Also was the kind of crap that Reyes and Lastings Milledge used to pull...they were oblivious to the fact that they fired teams up to the point where the Braves came about as close as a team could to throwing games against the Mets' competition without actually doing it.  And of course Reyes would fold in September.   

As for Harper...he's got the monster numbers...and with the exception of RBI, he's been steady from month-to-month.  He hasn't had that damning big dip...but if the Nats get swept and he takes another 0-fer or has a couple of meaningless hits after the game's been decided, he's going to hear it...especially since, like you say, he doesn't come off as terribly likable.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

More Harper...wasn't aware of this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/62645/bullpen-struggles-in-big-games-live-on-as-a-nationals-legacy

Harper MVP note: He's hitting .214/.333/.303 in 15 games against the Mets with one home run, nine walks and 18 strikeouts. Yes, the Mets can pitch and small sample size and all that, but bottom line: He hasn't done much against the team the Nationals need to beat. That has to hurt his MVP case a bit, aside from the whole the-MVP-has-to-come-from-a-playoff-team argument.

Also has only driven in four runs against the Mets. 

re:  Cespedes, I get the feeling the guy really wants to stay here (especially since he's seeing the good part of NY, the love the fans will give you when you're doing well, and he's probably hoping for a nice big market contract), but I don't see the Mets going very high for him.  I'm just not sure what the market will be for him...his 2013 and 2014 seasons should give everyone who's thinking about signing him serious pause.  Right now he's a full quantum leap ahead of that player...what if the 2013-14 version is the real Cespedes?  If you're a team that has to watch how you spend, you have to ask that question. 

Interesting now because Stauffer's going to get more important innings than I was asking for.  What's nice for him is that he has an opportunity become the next Torres...Torres was really a nice find his first two seasons here, after his major-league career looked like it would never amount to anything.  If Stauffer can regain his 2013 form, he might resuscitate his career...but it's fair to note that in his prior stint with the Twins this season, he looked damned near finished.  We'll find out very soon if Stauffer is a guy who can eat innings in lost-cause or we-don't-need-it kind of games, or can be trusted to do a little more. 

I thought a start against the Braves might be a good fit for him just because the Braves seem so disinterested in trying to compete at this point...that's a great situation for a Stauffer/Gee type to have some success. 

Stauffer has had some success in the majors in the not too distant past, he's not a bad fallback innings either. And look how far Gee has fallen down the totem pole, the org has soured on him and he's soured on the org. He is truly what you would call an exile. I don't think he's seeing a Mets major league uniform again unless it's an absolute unthinkable emergency.

Torres is expected to be out 1-2 weeks, and that's a liberal estimate. Truth is I doubt we see him until the playoffs. He was in a walking boot at last check

re Cespedes: Sometimes with a guy it can be an absolute PERFECT fit. Cespedes always had monster ability, the guy is built like Bo Jackson and has freaky power, great speed, cannon arm. The whole package (essentially what the Mets thought Alex Ochoa might be...remember him?) but he's bounced around a bit but performed well. I think Cespedes really likes it here and finally wants to stick somewhere long term. I almost compare it to Ortiz when he finally found his home in Boston...sometimes with a talented guy it all just breaks right, this is the perfect place for him. Another comparison would be Paul O'Neill with the Yankees...good Red, but perfect Yankee, especially with his demeanor.

My only worry is his age. 29...eh with the latin players it's never so cut and dry(and frankly I don't blame them, I mean who wouldn't shave off a few years if they could get away with it!). For all we know he may be 32-33. If that's the case I'm not signing him. I think Bartolo tried to pass himself off as a 1975 or 1976 birth for a while as well

Edited by '7'

Finally an interesting positive development (hopefully):

Post has learned http://nyp.st/1OvI2wQ  #Mets Cespedes agreed to erase term that would force NYM to sign by 5 days after WS or not at all

It's funny...some fans (not saying you) are reading way more into this than what's there.  Cespedes' agent isn't an idiot...there was no logical reason to keep that clause active (all it would effectively do is eliminate a potential bidder).  They had nothing to lose and plenty to gain by killing it.   

Anyway, the problem is that Mets fans are falling in love with Cespedes, and they probably think that Cespedes is the second coming of Manny Ramirez (who was scary in that he used to perform the way Cespedes is right now over entire seasons, and yes, I know much of Ramirez's success may have been steroid-driven). 

As a Met, Cespedes is slashing .307/.354/.660.  OB+SLG of 1.014.  These are awesome numbers, and the Mets aren't going 24-11 in their last 35 without him.  He's been a monster plate presence.

But what reason is there to think he'll continue this?  Or even come close to it?  The Mets are his fourth team.  His numbers with the prior three:

Oakland:  .262/.318/.470, .788 OB+SLG

Boston:  .269/.296/.423, .719 OB+SLG

Detroit:  .293/.323/.506, .829 OB+SLG

I think what can realistically be hoped for by any team willing to sign Cespedes to the megadeal he's going to be looking for is somewhere around his Detroit numbers, at best.  They're nothing to sneeze at, but remember that he's going to be looking to be paid off his Met numbers...which are going to make his overall regular season numbers look beastly.  At the rate he's going, he might be pushing 40 HR, 110 RBI, a .300 BA, a .335 OB%, and a .550 SLG%.  And if he keeps raking in the playoffs...forget about it.

I think Sandy will get slammed mercilessly if he allows Cespedes to walk, and in this case, I think it will be unfair.  If Cespedes ever re-signs but then becomes more like the Oakland/Boston version of himself, some will defend the move by saying "The Mets HAD to take this chance", but I'm still not convinced that they do, especially for what figures to be a nine-figure contract for a guy who will already be 30 when the deal would begin.  What if he asks for something in the 6-7 year, $120-150 million range?  Should the Mets do that?  Should they be criticized if they don't?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976