New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Here's the thing with Cespedes...ignoring the numbers (season or career) we've already seen the impact he has on a lineup. Not just here but Oakland too. They were scoring runs all over the place, had the best record in the league last year then Billy got cute and traded him for Lester and their offense fell down an elevator shaft.

And yeah signing him carries risk but really the same could be said of any FA. Jason Bay was supposed to be a safe signing, hell resigning David was supposed to be as safe as any 8-140 contract could be given his track record. Even signings that work out usually have an expiration date like CC with the Yankees.

The thing is the Mets are going to have to move some pieces around to make resigning Cespedes work. If he resigns your outfield is clearly him, Grandy and Conforto at this point. Would they be able to dump off Lagares and Cuddyer, or keep them both as expensive bench/part time options?

I'm not saying the Mets should definitely NOT bring Cespedes back (I'm on the fence).

But if he does come back, here's what it will likely mean:

Herrera or Flores is your starting second baseman. Mets might keep Johnson as insurance at second. But Murph is gone.

Duda won't be signed long-term (which is fine).

Clip is gone for sure (though I think that happens no matter what...he's good enough to close, and that won't happen here unless Familia gets hurt or falters).

Mets will look to move Lagares and Niese. Both players' trade value is in the toilet. Ditto Cuddyer, whose age, contract, injuries, and uneven performance won't excite any trade partners.

Even if they WANT to consider signing Cespedes, I don't know if Sandy can clear the salaries or find the money to do it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Good old-fashioned pitcher's duel. Gotta give Strasburg a lot of credit...he's pitching for his team's life and the other guy isn't giving him much margin for error.

Oh boy...here comes Drew Storen. Even Bobby Parnell laughs at this guy.

He's on one of the great runs for sure.

Harper finally coming to life in this one.

Guessing Williams will have to go back to Pap again and hope he can hold the fort (assuming the Mets still have a lead after the 8th).

Pap showing up his fielder. Nice to see Duda get involved. Three more outs. Hard to believe how much the Mets just stomped on the Nats' hearts and balls this series.

Pap showing up his fielder. Nice to see Duda get involved. Three more outs. Hard to believe how much the Mets just stomped on the Nats' hearts and balls this series.

This definitely has the smell of Mets-Cardinals in '86.  Or even to a degree Mets-Braves in '06 when they finally put them away at Turner.

Nats are toast. If the Mets go 11-12, Nats have to go 19-4. That is never going to happen, no fvcking way. That team is as dead as dead can be.

If the Mets split against the Braves, crazy as it sounds, I'll take it. I can't blame the Mets for being a little emotionally spent in that series.

Nats are toast. If the Mets go 11-12, Nats have to go 19-4. That is never going to happen, no fvcking way. That team is as dead as dead can be.

If the Mets split against the Braves, crazy as it sounds, I'll take it. I can't blame the Mets for being a little emotionally spent in that series.

Considering the Braves have Shelby Miller going who's WAAAY overdue for a win and the fact TC already said he's probably going with the B team tomorrow after the emotional high of this series, a loss tomorrow wouldn't alarm me though usually in those situations when you think 'ah just a giveaway game' they find a way to come through.

Yeah, sometimes the B team rises up...guys like Lagares and Uribe who haven't been getting as much playing time lately rise up and seize the moment.  And Colon is trying to pitch his way into the postseason starting rotation (seemed like a longshot not long ago, but Niese has sure kicked that door wide open).  Colon has pitched 7+ innings and allowed 1 ER or less in 6 out of his last 9 starts...of course, in typical Colon fashion, two of the other three starts were imploders.

Braves actually won a series for a change, but they've lost 20 of 23 overall.  I don't think that they have it in them to pull a true Turner Nightmare on the Mets (which to me would be the Mets losing 3 of 4 or worse). 

It's funny...someone people want to try to link this team to the 2007 (7-game lead with 17 to play) and 2008 teams, as to why "anything can happen"...and to try to shoehorn the ghosts and failures of the past into the present.  Why none of this applies: 

2007:  Not only did the scrappy Phillies go 23-11 to close out their season, but they won 7 straight against the Mets (a 4-game sweep in late August, and a 3-game sweep in mid-September).  The METS were the ones doing the sweeping of the team chasing them this time around.  And the Nats are clearly not the Fighting Phils...I've talked about how favorable the Nats' schedule was going to be down the stretch (with all of the home games and mostly meh opponents).  Well, after playing 16 out of their last 19 games at home (ending with the Mets' sweep), the Nats went just 11-8 over that stretch, and got swept by the one team they couldn't afford to be swept by.  Simply not nearly good enough. 

2008:  Year of the Bullpen From Hell.  Luis Ayala was the friggin' closer down the stretch, and Aaron Heilman was absolutely dreadful that season.  And the pitching staff in general was not nearly as good as the 2015 version:  John Maine and Oliver Perez didn't build off their 2007 campaigns (15 wins each in 2007), and the second-best starter (in terms of pure performance) behind Johan Santana was Mike Pelfrey, which tells you all you need to know.  And of course the Phils once again rose up at the end, going 27-12 down the stretch to win the division (they won the Series that year of course). 

Basically, there's no Phillies to be the foil to the Mets this season.  That team was tough and had a way of coming together when they absolutely had to.  Where can anyone say that about this Nationals team?  What signs of that exist?  The Phillies were able to pull it together for extended stretches, which meant that they did have to win a lot of games at end, but not at a completely obscene rate.  Assuming the Mets somehow falter and go, say, 9-14 over their final 23, the Nats would STILL have to pull off a 17-6 run (.739 win%).  Sure, like the Mets, the Nats' schedule is a joke until they meet the Mets again, but it all goes back to the same thing:  where is the evidence that the Nats can possibly pull it together to play lights-out baseball for over three weeks?  To go into Citi and win at least two of three (if that series should actually mean anything)?  I wasn't willing to discard the "never say never" feelings until after this series, but I can't make a single compelling case as to why the Mets should ever worry about 2007 and 2008 repeating themselves.  This thing is over. 

-------------------------------

And I gotta admit, I would love it if Logan Verrett was terrific in his Harvey fill-in start...then was terrific again...and then again.  Just to make Matt "You Guys Do The Heavy Lifting And I'll Parachute Back In For the Playoffs" Harvey sweat just a little. 

And if somehow the Mets lose four out of seven against the Braves and Marlins and get swept by the Yankees (the only scenario I can see giving the Nats life)...then shame on them.  No excuses.  Even 13-10 the rest of the way makes this about as impossible as it gets the rest of the way for the Nats (who would have to go 21-2).  Like I said, I can understand a split "mulligan" kind of series against the Braves (two wins still trim the magic number no matter what the Nats do), but after that, back to business.  Find a way to win four out of six against the Marlins and Yankees (I couldn't care less about how the wins are split up), and by then this thing will REALLY be over.   

Zeile turning 50... I still have a copy on VHS from the 1989 AAA Allstar game. Zeile and Greg Vaughn were the two big studs in the game.

I'm still mad at Zeile for not hitting that ball over the wall in the 2000 world series. It all led to the Timo Perez disaster at home...which ended our honeymoon period with ol Timo, but c'mon man, that was literally 2cm from being a home run

Also CR, the Nats have been beset by injuries (not to make excuses for them, we have been hit hard by injuries this year too) but as they come down the stretch Span is out, Zimmerman (who carried that offense is out) Taylor I believe has a balky knee. The 2007 and 2008 Phils were healthy and motivated iirc and didn't have a dolt managing them, even though Charlie Manuel did play the folksy fool at times he was quite solid. The Nats are just crumbling before our eyes. THEY are the 2007 and 2008 Mets, sagging under huge expectations. THEY are the ones who are still giving goat horns to the crowd after home runs...Harper hits one to make it 4-3 with 2 out in the 8th, and he gets his helmet taken off in the dugout by Desmond, does his silly little hair-flip, showboating etc. They're a bunch of clowns and we swatted them away like flies. Good riddance

Also, just a quick preview to the upcoming Yankees series...and btw what a joke they're playing in September, Mets/Yankees should always be a midsummer weekend series...but they're throwing Pineda (who's been rocked 4 of his past 5 starts) Sabathia...who flat out stinks to high heaven and seemingly has not seen the 7th inning since the Ford administration, and Tanaka, that miracle of modern medicine who's still solid but far more hittable than the dominant phenom we saw last year. We could really beat up on that staff.

Also CR, the Nats have been beset by injuries (not to make excuses for them, we have been hit hard by injuries this year too) but as they come down the stretch Span is out, Zimmerman (who carried that offense is out) Taylor I believe has a balky knee. The 2007 and 2008 Phils were healthy and motivated iirc and didn't have a dolt managing them, even though Charlie Manuel did play the folksy fool at times he was quite solid. The Nats are just crumbling before our eyes. THEY are the 2007 and 2008 Mets, sagging under huge expectations. THEY are the ones who are still giving goat horns to the crowd after home runs...Harper hits one to make it 4-3 with 2 out in the 8th, and he gets his helmet taken off in the dugout by Desmond, does his silly little hair-flip, showboating etc. They're a bunch of clowns and we swatted them away like flies. Good riddance

07ace3ae9eaeda0951619190eca2bec5.jpg

Yeah, first thing I thought when I saw their dugout celebration was:

1) You're still losing (if they hit a HR to take a lead or even tie things up I could've somewhat understood the antics)

...BUT

2) Even if you somehow go on to win the game, you still lost the one series that you absolutely HAD to win. 

The idea for the Nats wasn't to see three more games melt off the schedule and lose another game in the standings.  Sure, a Nats win would've averted complete disaster, but this is like getting falling-down fitshaced drunk and hooking up with a 2, with the singular positive being that she woke up and left on her own before you had to tell her that you only hooked up because you were indeed falling-down fitshaced drunk.

At any rate, with the way events wound up unfolding, what happened to the Nats was more like getting falling-down fitshaced drunk, hooking up with a 1 that turned out to be not-as-advertised (think:  male anatomy surprise), then getting the sh!t beat out of you by said "female" who then takes all of your money and steals your car for good measure. 

Jose Reyes and Lastings Milledge would've fit in perfectly with those guys. 

House money game tonight. Shelby Miller is the only one on that staff worth a damn and he's due, Braves have actually won two of 3, albeit from the equally wretched Phillies. No Robles (death in fam) Familia or Clippard.

Bart just needs to give us innings. Even if he gives up 5 runs, if that fat rubber arm can go 120 pitches (or 8 innings) that would help the pen going forward

Yeah, free pass for the Mets tonight. If Colon doesn't have it, go with Stauffer for as long as you can.

Oh crap...Warthen taken to the hospital for a rapid heartbeat. Hope everything turns out alright.

Yeah, definitely

I almost hope the game does get rained out just so they get their day off to recharge, even though they'll have to deal with a DH at some point this weekend - that's when they can put in the B team.