New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Bobby Parnell...now we're in D Team Territory.

And another defensive gaffe...this is definitely one of those games. Just one to forget.

Guess Turner Field wanted to remind us that it can still fvck with the Mets on occasion. Still, a 7-3 trip and a Nats sweep...not one damned thing to complain about.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah not really sure what Parnell is still doing here. But he won't smell so much as an appearance in a big game.

Holy fvck...these guys just don't want to lose.

It's funny...in a way TC probably would've preferred to just get his team out of here. If this goes into extra innings and the Mets lose anyway, it's almost like, "did you have to hit it out Daniel?" Lol

That was actually a good outing for Bobby. Just glad Reed is here...otherwise knowing TC, this would be enough for Bobby to get 7th-inning consideration again.

Goddamn...they actually WON this game! Unbelievable! Magic number down to 11.

D'Backs almost came back against the Dodgers...they were down 4-0 but pulled to within one after a three-run homer in the ninth with two out. Comeback ended there. Would have been an insane day if the D'Backs had pulled it off.

Scherzer with 8 shutout innings today...if I'm a Nats fan, I'm in "Oh great, NOW you have a good game now that we're complete toast. Thanks for nothin'!" mode. His year is going to look a lot better on paper and on the web, that's for damned sure.

Seven Glorious Days and Seven Glorious Games

As cliché as it sounds, it is truly amazing what a difference one week can make.

Sure, way back on Monday, September 6, the Mets were in as good of a position as we could've possibly hoped for, when they went into their series with the Nationals up four games...a concept that seemed like a pipe dream as the Mets hovered around .500 for much of the year after seeing their 15-5 burst to start the season slowly but far-too-surely dwindle away.  Sure, the Mets had seen Sandy's impressive slew of "win now" moves pay off, but being Mets fans, we couldn't go into that series fearing anything but the worst; after all, the Mets had just lost five out of nine to three bottom-feeders in Philly, Boston, and Miami, and in the days leading up to that pivotal Nats series, had seen 2 1/2 games shaved off their lead.  Could the Nats take two out of three?  Could they actually sweep?!  Neither scenario was ideal:  two of three would see the Mets' lead cut to three games and see the suddenly-stabilizing Nats gain more momentum, and the scorched-earth nightmare vision of a sweep would dice the lead to a single game...with the seemingly endless nightmare known as Turner Field waiting in the wings, to deal yet another death blow to a season of hope and dreams the way only that building could.  And wasn't like either the Nats or the Braves, despite recent struggles, represented easy pickins in the slightest...the Mets had lost five of their previous seven games to the Nats in what was starting to feel like more of the excruciating same, and they had also lost five out of their prior six to the Braves, including yet another sweep at Turner, that  damned ballpark from hell that seemed to forever have a foot waiting to stomp firmly on the balls of whatever winning aspirations the Mets would have.  As much as we wanted to believe and hope it would somehow be different this time...could we?  Dare we? 

Seven days later, here we are.  Winning games exactly the way the Nats and Braves would seemingly always beat the Mets...in almost laughably heartbreaking fashion.  Yesterday's game?  Switch the unis and that's EXACLTY the kind of game the Mets would've lost, that would've had '7' posting "The kind of loss the Mets suffer at Turner or against the Nats at least three times a year."  Seven days and seven games to completely turn the tables...this is damn near like Ralphie whooping up on Scut Farkas, swaggering away, then realizing that he still had plenty left to dish out, and going after Grover Dill for some extra pummeling...just because he can...simply because after years of abuse, he's finally had enough, and is intent on releasing every last bit of pent-up anger and frustration in one massive fell swoop. 

Seven days and seven games later, the Mets have eliminated any doubt about who is taking the NL East.  The Nats are done, and they know it...after losing their second straight game to the Marlins, the quotes were not about fighting back, but about playing for pride and ending their disappointing and completely lost season a strong note.  Doesn't get much more concessional than that.  Seven days and seven games later, the Mets have become far more than the "Winner of the NL Least, we're just happy not to be a wild-card team, someone from our division has to get in" squad that many outsiders felt that they were...they are now a team with an excellent chance to wrest home field from the team that they're almost certain to face in the Dodgers, and considering who that team has at their disposal to throw in Games 1 and 2, any chance to get an edge in that series has to be seen as nothing less than crucial.  Seven days and seven games later, we have a chance to watch our team begin a new chapter in what has been a novel far too full of heartbreak, misery, disaster and agony...and see that genesis happen on our ground, on our turf, in our backyard, in our building.

Seven days and seven games later, the Mets ended this run by somehow coming back from being down three runs with two outs in the ninth, in the Ballpark from Hell that just moments before had seemed to squeeze one more 666 moment out of itself in abusing Curtis Granderson in right, in a game they really didn't have to win, in a game where to that point had clearly been a "one of those days, can't win 'em all" kind of day, with the winning pitcher being...drum roll...wait for it...Bobby Parnell.  Read that again.  BOBBY fvckING PARNELL?! 

Seven days and seven games later, it's a glorious time to be a Met fan.  Finally.  Thank you team!

What a crazy win, and our first 4 game sweep of Atlanta in Turner Field. This team is just slaying demons left and right. Reading your post above CR, I still can't believe what we've been witnessing. It's just one moment after another, from Flores tears (and eventual game winning HR to get the ball rolling on our awesome run) to the trades, to the HR massacre in Philly (and DW's dinger in his first game back) to the Torres kick save in extra's to Bartolo's bizarre innings streak. Right now it's just a never ending deluge of positivity and good feelings.

I mean down 7-4 two outs after winning 3 straight in Atlanta. It's ok...you guys are excused, go back, enjoy the clubhouse spread and watch the 4pm games. NOPE. They claw back and win another one.

This team has flat out earned it this year. 

And of course, on top of all the other crazy stuff, is one Yoenis Cespedes...who have never played like this in the majors.  You know how hard it is to average an RBI per game for 40 games?  Right now Cespedes could come up to the plate with no one on and sneeze and wind up with two ribbies.  Cespedes is like a 20-to-25 goal scorer who's going to net over 40...and who had 10 goals or so at the halfway point.   

Yeah it's amazing how much things changed in less than a week really. Monday it looked like the worst case scenario was starting to rear its ugly head after Niese slooped off the mound and now it's total cruise control and even somewhat realistic they might clinch on the home stand.

When the book gets written on the 2015 Mets it'll be how two weeks changed the season, trade deadline week and this one. And in an ironic coincidence both weeks started with adversity and potential Same Old Mets moments too (the Gomez trade that wasn't and the Harvey/Bora$ PR fiasco).

Edited by NJDevs4978

And of course, on top of all the other crazy stuff, is one Yoenis Cespedes...who have never played like this in the majors.  You know how hard it is to average an RBI per game for 40 games?  Right now Cespedes could come up to the plate with no one on and sneeze and wind up with two ribbies.  Cespedes is like a 20-to-25 goal scorer who's going to net over 40...and who had 10 goals or so at the halfway point.   

The talent was always there, this guy is build like Bo Jackson with a ferocious righty swing and can pretty much hit moonshots or laser beams out in any ballpark, but something about this particular situation just made it work out perfectly for us. He's got good hitters around him in the lineup, he always comes up with ducks on the pond and sees a lot of fastballs, and he's played against a sh!t ton of AWFUL pitching. And coming into a big pennant race has really energized him. This guy WANTS to be here. He wants to be a Met. He wants the bright lights of October playoff baseball in NY. Look at him during the HR Derby a few years ago here...he was like a kid in a candy store. Little did we know at the time it was a sign of things to come.

Curious how we approach the Yankee series. Unless we get swept by Florida and the Nats sweep Philly(and even if that DOES happen we still walk in 6.5 up)...it's not really going to mean much to us. If it was any team OTHER than the Yankees then we would definitely go full B lineup for one of those games. Yanks are still pressing for the division but are pretty much locked into the Wild Card playoff barring a big collapse.

Twins are 4 back in the loss column to the Yankees, but I don't really see them doing it.

Edited by '7'

Yeah, does feel like one of those "perfect fits" with Cespedes...but when a guy is this unconscious, of course it's going to feel that way.  Hopefully if (when) he goes back to being a .800-.850ish OB+SLG player, if he winds up re-signing here, people won't pine for the player we're seeing right now. 

Re:  the Yankees, you can understand why Joe Torre hated these games sometimes...it's almost as though because the fans eat this up, you're expected to approach this series as being super-important every time, even when it isn't (even the Mets losing three games off their lead wouldn't change anything for me...the Nats aren't capable of pulling off a super-duper one-for-the-ages kind of run, and the Mets are too good to fall off a cliff).  The Mets have earned the right to do whatever they want to in this series, but people will throw sh!tfits if the Mets go with the B group for any of these games.  I don't necessarily throw Harvey in one of those games. 

Yeah, does feel like one of those "perfect fits" with Cespedes...but when a guy is this unconscious, of course it's going to feel that way.  Hopefully if (when) he goes back to being a .800-.850ish OB+SLG player, if he wind up re-signing here, people won't pine for the player we're seeing right now. 

Re:  the Yankees, you can understand why Joe Torre hated these games sometimes...it's almost as though because the fans eat this up, you're expected to approach this series as being super-important every time, even when it isn't (even the Mets losing three games off their lead wouldn't change anything for me...the Nats aren't capable of pulling off a super-duper one-for-the-ages kind of run, and the Mets are too good to fall off a cliff).  The Mets have earned the right to do whatever they want to in this series, but people will throw sh!tfits if the Mets go with the B group for any of these games.  I don't necessarily throw Harvey in one of those games. 

You know if Harvey is chugging out there against the Yanks at 115 pitches I will be fuming. But you know against his beloved Yankees and he's auditioning for his dream job. He desperately wants to pitch against them.

And the second this series vs the Yankees ends nobody in Metland will even remember it(unless some Luis Castillo stupidity rears its ugly head) considering WE...for the first time in forever, have bigger fish to fry and more important things on the horizon

Won't happen, re: 115 pitches against the Yanks. The new thing going around is that Harvey will get two or three "half-starts", with guys like Stauffer going 3 innings or so to bridge the gap. Can't say that this doesn't come off as a bit annoying, right or wrong...just feels like Harvey and Boras are acting like they're doing us some big favor by "letting" Matt throw pitches from his precious arm.

I was all for Stauffer coming up, but to get into games that were already pretty much decided, or give gassed, more important arms some rest. If Harvey is going to come in for 3-4 innings and leave with a 3-0 lead or something like that, and Stauffer pitches 2-3 innings and coughs that up...sorry, that's going to be a little hard to take. The Mets are still in the hunt for home field against the Dodgers...it just doesn't seem right that Harvey is treating a pennant run like his personal spring training.

Boras is whispering sweet things in his ear "psst...I'm gonna make you the next Jeter...a national icon, the first 300 million baseball player...just do what I say and it will all come to fruition...GQ, SNL, you'll be the next Tom Brady etc etc"

Boras is very, very, very good at what he does...he gets his clients some game-changing contracts, and that's his job. And he knows full well that a lot of people find him abrasive, intolerable, annoying, greedy, etc...and he couldn't care less.

I think he doesn't always do 100% right by his clients though...A-Rod should have been a Met when he became a free agent (not saying I'm sorry that it didn't happen)...that's what A-Rod wanted in the worst way, and he clearly would've been a good fit for a variety of reasons. But Boras was SO arrogant and SO over-the-top in his demands that he made it very easy for the Mets to tell him and Alex to go fvck themselves...and even made the Mets look damned near heroic for doing so. It was funny...it was the equivalent of falling in mid-air with a perfect lay-up dunk just waiting to be slammed home. Supposedly Alex even called up a few Mets to try to get them to convince Phillips to start negotiations again...and allegedly, they hold him to go screw.

Cespedes AGAIN.  And yet another moonshot to boot.  He keeps this up and someone might offer him close to $200 mil. 

Won't happen, re: 115 pitches against the Yanks. The new thing going around is that Harvey will get two or three "half-starts", with guys like Stauffer going 3 innings or so to bridge the gap. Can't say that this doesn't come off as a bit annoying, right or wrong...just feels like Harvey and Boras are acting like they're doing us some big favor by "letting" Matt throw pitches from his precious arm.

I was all for Stauffer coming up, but to get into games that were already pretty much decided, or give gassed, more important arms some rest. If Harvey is going to come in for 3-4 innings and leave with a 3-0 lead or something like that, and Stauffer pitches 2-3 innings and coughs that up...sorry, that's going to be a little hard to take. The Mets are still in the hunt for home field against the Dodgers...it just doesn't seem right that Harvey is treating a pennant run like his personal spring training.

I'm not 100% positive Harvey is Met next year... Sure the Mets are going to have be blown away but after losing Cespedes, SA is going to need a big move to get the fans back... and making Harvey look like the ass he is might be the ticket.

I'm not 100% positive Harvey is Met next year... Sure the Mets are going to have be blown away but after losing Cespedes, SA is going to need a big move to get the fans back... and making Harvey look like the ass he is might be the ticket.

I think chances are that Harvey will be a Met for at least 2016.  He's still a tremendous young arm who's at least a year from making big money in arbitration (he'll get a big raise this year obviously either from the Mets or in his first arb, but it's not going to be obscene). 

Yeah, there's things about Harvey that are kind of annoying, especially with Harvey not seeming to be a team guy on the surface, and especially with a "just go out and throw" guy like Jacob deGrom around.  It's funny...even in New York, fans seem to embrace a "down home, next door" type more than they will the guy who inhales everything New York has to offer.  Harvey seems to love the big city and the trappings that go with being a celeb here.  And of course, he has the agent from hell who's abrasiveness almost seems to hurt his clients from a fan standpoint...we pretty much assume that a "Boras guy" is going to be a high-maintenance pain in the ass by default.

One thing that's kind of been forgotten with all of the recent winning is that the Mets don't exactly have a reputation for being a well-run organization...for the most part under the Wilpons, they've come off as a bunch of amateurish buffoons, and that buffoonery has on MANY occasions extended to how player injuries were diagnosed and handled.  Do I love the fact that Harvey and Boras decided to spring the 180 innings crap on the Mets at what seemed like the last second?  No.  Do I think that Harvey has come off as a bit of a Me-Me-Me phony?  Yeah.  But what have the Mets really done to earn player trust or the benefit of the doubt?  Harvey has seen all of the stupidity that goes on within the Mets first-hand...can I truly blame him (much as I'd like to) if Harvey and Boras question the Mets just saying, "Nah, you keep throwing Matt, everything will be fine."  Though Harvey and Boras have taken the brunt of the criticism, I think the organization made some mistakes here too.

Again, I'm not fully defending Harvey and Boras here...though in some way I respect what Boras does for his clients, I find him to be everything that I hate about professional sports in 2015...just his smug face alone makes me want to punch it.  And Harvey lost something he may never get back with the fans...like I've said, to me the Dark Knight crap is over...and with Harvey it almost feels like he's one step from becoming the Major League II version of Ricky Vaughn, the guy who starts naming all of his pitches and seems to forget what got him to the show, who loses his charm and likability as well.  But even though I hate the way they went about things, I don't think I can completely kill them for questioning a questionable organization's way of handling Harvey, or trying to protect his future.   

--------------------------------------

If the Mets go 8-10 in their final 18 (91-71 final record), Nats need to go 19-0 to finish 92-70 to win the East.  Last one of those I post, as far as the Mets/Nats go...this thing was over a while ago and we all know it. 

As for the real race:  the Dodgers have been just as hot as the Mets have as of late...they've gone 16-4 in their last 20.  Mets are 34-13 in their last 47 and 19-5 in their last 24.  Like the Mets, the Dodgers' sched is pretty forgiving...they have a series against the Pirates at home and a road series against the Giants (the Giants will likely be close to elimination by then)...can't see them falling off too much.  The race for home field should be an entertaining one...two good teams playing some of their best baseball of the season.  We'll see who blinks. 

Mets are now 5th in the NL in runs scored (618, and sixth in RPG at 4.29).  Of course, one of the teams they trail is Colorado, who does damned near ALL of their damage at home (.301/.350/.490 slash, 5.41 RPG at Coors; .230/.280/.378 slash, 3.49 RPG on the road), and will always see their offensive numbers bloated even with a crappy offense, like the one they have this season. 

But considering where this offense was before all of the deals were made, pretty amazing where they now rank in a number of offensive categories:

BA:  .247 (13th)

OB%:  .314 (11th)

SLG:  .401 (7th)

OB+SLG:  .716 (8th)

2B:  261 (1st)

3B:  14 (14th)

HR:  158 (T-3rd)

RPG:  4.29 (6th)

They could be in the top 3 in RPG by the end of the season...pretty amazing feat for a team that ranked near the bottom in just about everything into late July. 

The pitching of course continues to rank highly in most categories.  What's sad is that there's been exactly 32 complete games pitched by the NL this season.  Guys like Sandy Koufax used to pitch 32 complete games in any given season.