New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

It's just weird to me cause he was 2 early in the year, but now that Uribe's here gotta give him something else I guess.

The Mets have had a few of those double-take uniform choices, with Luis Lopez (among others) wearing #17. I didn't so much mind Nomo wearing #16 cause at least he was a real ML pitcher and it was his number anyway though he only lasted a minute and a half here and didn't do much anyway.

Yeah, at that point in Nomo's career it seemed like he was more concerned with having a cool-looking windup than with results (his control was considerably better out of the stretch). He was maddening to watch...lots of deep counts and pitches thrown. He did get it going again eventually, but definitely not here.

At what point do we sound the alarm on Clippard being hurt/worn down/whatever? He's had three days off and that hasn't seemed to help.

Good news is that Reed gives this team some depth. Other good news is that Clip still has time to right himself. But yeah, there's reason for concern. Supposedly the Blue Jays were very close to dealing for him, watched him pitch, and said, "No thanks, that's not the same Clippard." But I'm optimistic with him.

Man, every ball off the Mets' bats just seems to die tonight. Maybe these guys are just a little spent and need a day off.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Good news is that Reed gives this team some depth. Other good news is that Clip still has time to right himself. But yeah, there's reason for concern. Supposedly the Blue Jays were very close to dealing for him, watched him pitch, and said, "No thanks, that's not the same Clippard." But I'm optimistic with him.

Man, every ball off the Mets' bats just seems to die tonight. Maybe these guys are just a little spent and need a day off.

I mean he was DOMINANT for over a month, that's what makes it tough.  It's not as if he came here and stunk right away.  And yeah Reed gives them an eighth-inning luxury but he was supposed to be the guy that shored up our problematic seventh inning, not the guy who replaced a problematic Clippard and push him back to the seventh inning making it problematic again.

Same old David. Impossible to have faith in that guy driving in runs.

Relievers slump too. It's just nice to have another option, just in case.

Mike Vaccaro, who has had a terrific year with his word processor, with a pretty good article in today's New York Post:

http://nypost.com/2015/09/17/only-one-way-the-mets-can-put-2007-in-the-rearview-mirror/

The headline is a little misleading...though he acknowledges that fans will talk about the not that recent past and start to make mental links, he goes on to point out why this isn't really 2007 all over again. 

For me, I think this team has earned some leeway, to not have fans go into instant "OMG the sky is falling!" every time they dare to lose two or three games.  Even with these two losses against the Marlins, if the Mets win tomorrow's game against the Yankees, that's a 35-15 record in their last 50 games...that's .700 ball over just under 1/3rd of the season.  I don't care who your opponents are, that is not an easy feat to pull off, and shouldn't be minimized at all...not to mention that the Mets won ALL six of the games they really needed to have against the Nats. 

Two friggin' losses in a row, and I'm reading crap like (direct quote) "When you’re a New York Mets fan, it is never easy." 

What exactly has been hard lately?  Right now the Mets' magic number for clinching is 10.  Only the Royals have a lower magic number for clinching their division (8).  A week ago, on the morning of September 10, the Mets' magic number was 17.  A week before that, it was 24.  Damned near every day over the past few weeks, the Mets have been trimming their magic number at an extremely impressive and efficient pace.  It's not like the Mets swept the Nats and then promptly went into a funk that would've allowed the Nats to hang around and keep it close.  They went into a building that has haunted them for YEARS and basically brought both Father Merrin and Tangina with them to exorcise every last demon.  They won five in a row to chop seven more digits off their magic number, but now two losses after winning eight in a row (and 19 of 24), suddenly things are never easy for Met fans? 

What standard is this team being held to?  Bad teams (especially ones who are still trying) win some games against teams that are higher up in the standings.  It happens.  The Mets are 11-8 against the Marlins, 14-2 against the Phillies, 10-6 against the Braves...combined, they're 35-16 against the bottom-feeders in the NL East.  Throw in the 10-6 record they hold against the Nats, and they're 45-22 against their division opponents...and some of that was accomplished with a much different (and worse) team than what the Mets are now.  How much better should the Mets have been against those teams?  A .672 winning% over a 67-game sample against ANY gaggle of major-league teams is impressive...and one of those teams was a World Series hopeful that has clearly underachieved, but still has some serious talent. 

I don't know...I guess I just wish this team could lose a couple of games without it having to be an instant "Uh oh, here we go again" borderline-panic reaction from some of our fanbase.  I feel like this team deserves better...considering that they've risen up to several challenges and overcome a number of obstacles (and not let crap like Harvey's innings limits derail them), I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt. 

And none of the above is directed towards anyone here...but I know there are Met fans who are going to act like the Yankees have already swept the Mets, and think the Nats are going to go 16-1 to close out their year while the Mets completely fall to pieces, and I think that really sucks.

Honestly, nothing would make me happier than the Mets pulling an 07 right now.

You must have a pretty unhappy life if the Mets pulling an 07 would bring you ultimate happiness.  Troll somewhere else loser. 

Man you guys are real worried about blowing it. Don't get defensive, the division's over. The Nats have nothing left.

No moron...has nothing to do with the Mets, has to do with you coming in here just to be an annoying dick.  Sad that you have nothing better to do.   

If you can actually read, you'd see in my post from this very morning that I'm actually not worried at all, that there was no way in hell the Mets were going to run the table through the end of the season, and that the Nats haven't shown themselves to be capable of putting together the all-time run it would take to steal the division.  But I'm not surprised by your posts, as you've always been a bit of an abrasive troublemaker in the Devils forums too.  It's what keyboard "tough"-guys like you enjoy doing.  Not sure why.  But that's your cross to bear, not mine.  

I'll only give them credit if they show that fight the next four days against the Nats :P

(although to be fair they did just beat them in a series, but it seems like their troll meter's on now)

Marlins up 6-2. Still lots of time in this game, but no laying down with that team.

And despite some awful bullpen decisions by Jennings, the Marlins hang on. This is why you can't take the Nats seriously. Maybe you could say the Mets left the door slightly ajar with the past two losses, but naturally the Nationals drop the ball themselves. Wouldn't shock me if the Fish win again tomorrow with Jose Fernandez on the hill. They're playing fast and loose and love to be a pest

Edited by '7'

And despite some awful bullpen decisions by Jennings, the Marlins hang on. This is why you can't take the Nats seriously. Maybe you could say the Mets left the door slightly ajar with the past two losses, but naturally the Nationals drop the ball themselves. Wouldn't shock me if the Fish win again tomorrow with Jose Fernandez on the hill. They're playing fast and loose and love to be a pest

Well it's Fernandez against Scherzer, who did just shut the Marlins down last weekend though it was after two months of being awful.

The only way you could even begin to suggest that the Mets would be leaving the door open is if they lose 6 or 7 in a row or go 2-8 or something like that. Two losses after opening up a 9.5 game lead isn't leaving the door open, not even slightly.

Anyway, it all goes back to the same thing: the Mets need to fall completely off a cliff and the Nats need to win damned near every one of their remaining games. Neither is going to happen. If the Nats manage to narrow this thing down to 3 games with seven or so remaining, talk to me then.

Last night was a perfect example of why the Nats won't get it done...if you're going to make an all-time run, then with the bases loaded and your team rallying to pull to within two runs, you need to keep that inning going and find a  way to take a lead that you then take home.  You need to have some big comebacks (like overcoming a 6-2 deficit).  If you want to even begin to get people to take notice, you win a game like that. 

The other thing that I brought up a long time ago was that the Nats were going into the end of the season with an incredibly favorable schedule...from 8/21, the Nats began a part of their schedule that would see them play 27 out of 36 games at home, and against a lot of weaker teams.  So far, with 10 games left on that run, they've gone 15-11 (not nearly good enough), and not all 15-11s are created equal, as they got swept in their building by the team they could ill afford to. 

The only way you could even begin to suggest that the Mets would be leaving the door open is if they lose 6 or 7 in a row or go 2-8 or something like that. Two losses after opening up a 9.5 game lead isn't leaving the door open, not even slightly.

Anyway, it all goes back to the same thing: the Mets need to fall completely off a cliff and the Nats need to win damned near every one of their remaining games. Neither is going to happen. If the Nats manage to narrow this thing down to 3 games with seven or so remaining, talk to me then.

Last night was a perfect example of why the Nats won't get it done...if you're going to make an all-time run, then with the bases loaded and your team rallying to pull to within two runs, you need to keep that inning going and find a  way to take a lead that you then take home.  You need to have some big comebacks (like overcoming a 6-2 deficit).  If you want to even begin to get people to take notice, you win a game like that. 

The other thing that I brought up a long time ago was that the Nats were going into the end of the season with an incredibly favorable schedule...from 8/21, the Nats began a part of their schedule that would see them play 27 out of 36 games at home, and against a lot of weaker teams.  So far, with 10 games left on that run, they've gone 15-11 (not nearly good enough), and not all 15-11s are created equal, as they got swept in their building by the team they could ill afford to. 

I'm still badly scarred from 2007. Any little hiccup has me chicken littling....heh. Anyway, to me personally this almost feels like we've been chasing down 2007 redemption for quite some time. This is not the 07 team, it couldn't be more opposite, but when they finally do clinch, it will almost feel like we're celebrating both 07 and 2015. The champagne has been on ice for quite some time.

I have a good feeling about tonight. The Mets needed to recharge their batteries and I think the offense will do well against a fading Pineda

I'm still badly scarred from 2007. Any little hiccup has me chicken littling....heh. Anyway, to me personally this almost feels like we've been chasing down 2007 redemption for quite some time. This is not the 07 team, it couldn't be more opposite, but when they finally do clinch, it will almost feel like we're celebrating both 07 and 2015. The champagne has been on ice for quite some time.

I have a good feeling about tonight. The Mets needed to recharge their batteries and I think the offense will do well against a fading Pineda

2007 and 2008 sucked to a whole new level of suckdom.  No disputing that.  To me it's just one of those things that has no longer has relevance, and nervous fans and some media are trying to shoehorn it in any chance they get, and unfairly at that.  When these guys do inevitably clinch, hopefully that washes any lingering "2007 lives" feelings away for good...and will allow this team to enjoy its own identity without being linked to the Dead Men in Black whenever they lose a game or two down the stretch. 

I can live with one of out three this weekend, but I really want two.  One win or no wins will get the "see, the Mets are feasting on the NL Least, just like Colon has" narrative back up and running.  Not to mention there's actually a battle again for New York...it'd be nice to the Mets win this series.  I'd like to see the Mets regain some home mojo too...they're only 4-8 in their last 12 home games, and they've only scored 43 runs in those games (17 of them came in two games against the Phils...just seems like their offense has been sputtering a bit in recent home games).  Don't want it to again start feeling like the park that seems to antagonize its tenants. 

Familia had no business in this game. This type sh!t seemingly happens every time TC brings him in non save games... however, he probably doesn't have this problem if he doesn't fvck around with Arod.

They were a little shorthanded last night now that Clippard has a stiff back...maybe a reason for his recent struggles?  Hopefully it's not too serious.

Nice job by Matz going 6, his pitch count was high early, and he was walking a tightrope but settled down and had a solid outing.

Finally Duda wakes the f*ck up. Murph with an unexpected blast as well (and that ball went a long way) seemed like a good atmosphere in the stadium as well. 43k+ so they were selling standing room only.

Not going to kill TC for Familia, though I thought Reed had another inning in him. He didn't throw many pitches.

Dreadful inning for Noah...horrible 2-strike pitches in that first inning. Pitched very much like a rookie.