Larsson blossoming

William D'Aquila

Was at the game tonight and have to say that after watching Lars I think the kid turned the corner for good! He is playing excellent.

his patience with getting the outlet pass is great

Sent from my TAB2 using TapaTalk

Edited by Devlin

I have been a Larsson fan since day 1 and never wavered. Canning Deboer was the best thing to happen to him. When Larry Robinson is a fan and enamored by your play you have something special. I am so happy Deboer is gone because it allowed for Stevens to come back. Love our D right now.

I have been a Larsson fan since day 1 and never wavered. Canning Deboer was the best thing to happen to him. When Larry Robinson is a fan and enamored by your play you have something special. I am so happy Deboer is gone because it allowed for Stevens to come back. Love our D right now.

It's amazing how quickly he improved after DeBoer left, why didn't Lou recognize the problem I sure Stevens talk to him about it.

It's awesome Larsson is improving and getting better, but he has been very solid for most of the season. Scott Stevens was the defensive coach for the past two seasons, so Larsson went without Stevens for 3 months. There was an article written about some things Stevens is helping Larsson with. I mean we are probably talking about the same things Stevens worked on with Adam in 2013, and 2013-2014 because he was the coach after all. The way people are talking, it's like Stevens and Adam had to sneak into the arena late at night for secret practice sessions because Deboer didn't want Stevens to improve Larsson's game..

The kid turned 22 this season. It's quite possible that things just take time, and the NHL is a difficult place for someone who is 19 or 20 or 21 playing defense. If Larsson continued to play like he did, he was going to gradually move up to where he is now. Was it going to happen this season? No way. The new staff through him into the fire with their best defenseman to help him out, and he's passing the tests for the most part. It's great to see. Similarly Deboer did all that in 2012 with Adam, and he wasn't ready for it yet. 

All part of the process, and Adam deserves most of the credit, Stevens deserves some of the credit, but for working with him the previous two seasons and not this year, and maybe Deboer and Lou deserve some credit for slowing down his usage in the NHL, letting him get his feet wet playing all situations in Albany, and working things out. Andy Greene deserves credit for making anyone that plays with him look great.

Stevens is not making miracles here with Larsson, the one and only thing helping Larsson right now is not having Deboer behind the bench.

Its pretty damn clear that Larsson was playing under unnecessary stress knowing that if he was making a mistake he was gonna get benched or sit a few games. You cant play your game that way, you overthink and its making you make bad decisions. It might sounds sily and easy to think "just grow some balls" but its definitely a thing and some players are struggling with that, confidence is HUGE for an athlete. Huuuge.

Also larsson's asset is passing and his decision making. Hes never gonna be super fast, have a canon, be a bone crusher or wtv. So Deboer was fvcking with his main asset, no wonder he was struggling.

• Like 2

Stevens is not making miracles here with Larsson, the one and only thing helping Larsson right now is not having Deboer behind the bench.

Its pretty damn clear that Larsson was playing under unnecessary stress knowing that if he was making a mistake he was gonna get benched or sit a few games. You cant play your game that way, you overthink and its making you make bad decisions. It might sounds sily and easy to think "just grow some balls" but its definitely a thing and some players are struggling with that, confidence is HUGE for an athlete. Huuuge.

Also larsson's asset is passing and his decision making. Hes never gonna be super fast, have a canon, be a bone crusher or wtv. So Deboer was fvcking with his main asset, no wonder he was struggling.

You aren't wrong that younger players deal with this, but they all need to play through it. It's always tough when you feel the coach is out to get you, but that certainly wasn't the case with Deboer and Larsson. 

This year was a really good season for Larsson with all coaches as Marshall pointed out on the last page. He started the year as a scratch, but that was after an entire camp of not showing the staff anything while Severson had a ridiculous camp. Out of the young guys, Larsson looked the worst. I'm sure no one wanted him to be a scratch, but the numbers and his play dictated it (no one was scratching Salvador, so no point in bringing up that possibility).

When Gelinas struggled, Larsson came in a smaller role, and when Salvador got hurt, his responsibilities grew, and he was doing great. There was no pressure on him afterwards. He played and was doing well with 17-19 minutes a night (not sure what more you want), when the Devils had Greene and Severson playing reasonably well together. With Salvador and Severson out, the next step under the new coaching staff was to see how he did playing with Greene against the big boys as Harrold and Merrill had not been playing that well. So far he has passed all the tests.  Perhaps that test doesn't happen this season under Deboer. Would that have been the worst thing in the world? Not really.

When people say Deboer hurt Larsson's development, I have to laugh because look at him now two months after Deboer is gone. If Deboer really hurt his development, Larsson would not be looking this good right now. I doubt even Adam would say he was ready for this responsibility last year or even at the start of the year. Adam was 19 when he began his NHL career. There was no rush for Adam to get from game 1 in the NHL to playing a career high 27:19 last night. You know what might have been a mistake? Playing him 25:37 in his 4th NHL game. I'm positive I can show you more players that have done well in professional sports that have been held back then ones that were allowed to play through their mistakes from day 1.

Guess what, all the things you described about a player feeling pressure. Eric Gelinas has been feeling that he entire time under STEVENS. I am sure everyone is working hard with him on he simple things he needs to do get better and stay in the lineup. It's up to him to show he can do all those things before anyone feels comfortable using him on a regular basis, because if he can't, he won't be an NHLer. It's professional sports. If you can't handle the pressure, you simply won't be good at what you do. 

Edited by devilsrule33

There isn't a valid argument that says that "DeBoer stifled Larsson's development." There is however an argument, that says that DeBoer did not use Larsson properly. I think it's a fair debate to have. By the same token, if Larsson kicks it up a notch again next year, we will be able to make the argument that DeBo was actually a boon for Larsson's development.

There isn't a valid argument that says that "DeBoer stifled Larsson's development." There is however an argument, that says that DeBoer did not use Larsson properly. I think it's a fair debate to have. By the same token, if Larsson kicks it up a notch again next year, we will be able to make the argument that DeBo was actually a boon for Larsson's development.

yup, larsson certainly might have needed tough love and a kick in the ass like krieder did

Since January 1st

ES PPG

Karlsson: .71 ppg
Klingberg: .56 ppg
Larsson: .52 ppg
Lindholm: .40 ppg
Hedman: .38 ppg
Klefbom: .33 ppg
Rundblad: .30 ppg
OEL: .29 ppg
Brodin: .20 ppg
Ekholm: .17 ppg

ES S/G

Karlsson: 2.42 S/G
OEL: 2 S/G
Klefbom: 1.58 S/G
Hedman: 1.47 S/G
Larsson: 1.29 S/G
Lindholm: 1.15 S/G
Brodin: 1.08 S/G
Rundblad: 1.05 S/G
Klingberg: .96 2/G
Ekholm: .91 S/G

Relative scoring chances %

Karlsson: + 10.9
Larsson: + 9.7
Klefbom: +7.7
OEL: +5.7
Ekholm: +5.1
Klingberg: +4.8
Rundblad: +2.4
Brodin: -3.0
Lindholm: -5.2
Hedman: -5.9

OZone Start%

Larsson: 38.5%
OEL: 41.2%
Lindholm: 47.2%
Klingberg: 48.9%
Brodin: 52%
Karlsson: 54.7%
Ekholm: 55.1%
Hedman: 60.4%
Klefbom: 62.6%
Rundblad: 66.1%

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Since January 1st

ES PPG

Karlsson: .71 ppg

Klingberg: .56 ppg

Larsson: .52 ppg

Lindholm: .40 ppg

Hedman: .38 ppg

Klefbom: .33 ppg

Rundblad: .30 ppg

OEL: .29 ppg

Brodin: .20 ppg

Ekholm: .17 ppg

ES S/G

Karlsson: 2.42 S/G

OEL: 2 S/G

Klefbom: 1.58 S/G

Hedman: 1.47 S/G

Larsson: 1.29 S/G

Lindholm: 1.15 S/G

Brodin: 1.08 S/G

Rundblad: 1.05 S/G

Klingberg: .96 2/G

Ekholm: .91 S/G

Relative scoring chances %

Karlsson: + 10.9

Larsson: + 9.7

Klefbom: +7.7

OEL: +5.7

Ekholm: +5.1

Klingberg: +4.8

Rundblad: +2.4

Brodin: -3.0

Lindholm: -5.2

Hedman: -5.9

OZone Start%

Larsson: 38.5%

OEL: 41.2%

Lindholm: 47.2%

Klingberg: 48.9%

Brodin: 52%

Karlsson: 54.7%

Ekholm: 55.1%

Hedman: 60.4%

Klefbom: 62.6%

Rundblad: 66.1%

Anytime someone is on a list with the likes of a defenseman like Karlsson, thats a good thing

Of Larsson's 13 assists, 6 of them are secondary and that makes me a bit wary as to whether he will produce this well offensively going forward.

I still think he's playing very well and will be a key piece of our defense corps for a long time. I'm just not sure he'll ever be a guy who will put up more than ~30 points per season rather than becoming the elite, all situation, 40+ points per season player he had been hyped up to be when he was drafted.

Edited by ATLL765

Of Larsson's 13 assists, 6 of them are secondary and that makes me a bit wary as to whether he will produce this well offensively going forward.

I still think he's playing very well and will be a key piece of our defense corps for a long time. I'm just not sure he'll ever be a guy who will put up more than ~30 points per season rather than becoming the elite, all situation, 40+ points per season player he had been hyped up to be when he was drafted.

Some of those assists are first passes out of the d-zone and are a great sign of offense to come.

Edited by Neb00rs

Some of those assists are first passes out of the d-zone and are a great sign of offense to come.

How so? Don't get me wrong, he's doing a good job and one of the more important thing in a good D is making good breakouts, but he's relying on the forwards to get those points (ie it might be a bit of a fluke). I haven't checked but I'd wager his on ice sh% is real high as of late.

How so? Don't get me wrong, he's doing a good job and one of the more important thing in a good D is making good breakouts, but he's relying on the forwards to get those points (ie it might be a bit of a fluke). I haven't checked but I'd wager his on ice sh% is real high as of late.

It's not his on ice sh%. It's more of the IPP

Possibly true. But I am not going to look it up because it doesn't matter. He's making better breakout/first passes lately and whether the shooting % is high or not is irrelevant to that. If you pass better, you will contribute more offense. You are making a fallacious argument when you say "Well, the points he has had off of his passing lately are due to shooting % increase". That is a non-sequitur. Again, better passing will lead to more offense. It doesn't matter why he got a point on goal A, B, or C.