UFA consideration thread

Z-Man

Obviously the Devils will have some decent cap room going into next season, and will need some NHL caliber bodies up front.  Here's a list of some of the more intriguing UFAs that will be available, and may make sense for NJ.

Drew Stafford

Previous contract:  4 years, $16 million

2015 stats:  46 GP, 8 G, 15 A, -19

Note:  Contract extension was signed after his 31 goal season.  Still relatively young UFA wise.  Right wing, RH shot, something needed depth-wise for NJ.  Underperformed offensively based on his contract.

Chris Stewart

Previous contract:  2 years, $8.3 million

2015 stats:  49 GP, 9 G, 9 A, -28

Notes:  Big body, very inconsistent.  Had back to back 28 goal season early in his career, but has bounced around since & hasn't lived up to his potential.  Another right wing, RH shot.

Justin Williams

Previous contract:  4 years, $14.6 million

2015 stats:  49 GP, 13 G, 12 A, +4

Notes:  Conn Smythe winner.  Clutch performer.  Probably will be overpaid by a cup contender based on those facts.

Scottie Upshall

Previous contract:  4 years, $14 million

2015 stats:  35 GP, 5 G, 6 A, -3

Notes:  Already played for 5 NHL teams.  Was the sixth overall pick in the draft in 2002.  Put up career best stats in 2014, but still only had 15 goals and 22 points for Florida.

Michael Frolik

Previous contract:  1 year, $3.3 million

2015 stats:  53 GP, 10 G, 17 A, +3

Notes:  Very young for a UFA.  Our group of Czech players may make him feel comfortable. 

Sean Bergenheim

Previous contract:  4 years, $11 million

2015 stats:  37 GP, 8 G, 10 A, +1

Notes:  Decent depth player, probably not a top 6 guy, though.  Will likely be the 7th straight year he's hit double digits in goals, but has never scored more than 17, and never hit 30 points.

Mike Santorelli

Previous contract:  1 year, $1.5 million

2015 stats:  52 GP, 10 G, 18 A, +7

Notes:  Hot commodity on the trade market.  Most likely will be a career year for him points-wise, but has never been a consistently good offensive performer.  Good shootout performer.

Yeah, I'd pass on all those guys except Santorelli and maybe Bergenheim.  Stafford I guess could be a one year deal but he's another Ryder - guy with limited skating and puck skills who can rip it.  Buffalo's not that far from New Jersey offensively - I don't see where NJ gets a center that can make Stafford a decent player here.  I don't think with the cap coming down that the Rangers can afford Zuccarello so he'd be a guy I would go after hard - I think he's got speed and can distribute the puck, two qualities sorely lacking from NJ's forward corps.  Other than that, the Devils should not offer a contract of more than 2 years in length to anyone 30 or older.  I think it's a blessing in disguise that free agency sucks so hard this year.

Pass.  Means some of the Albany AAAA guys might fill some spots next year, but I'd rather that than to overpay for this any of this crowd. 

Like others have noted...the new CBA that helps teams keep their UFAs means the UFA classes aren't going to see nearly as many big names test the market.  Devils can get a piece here and a piece there though UFA, but it looks like the only way they're getting real difference makers is through multiple drafts.  The old-fashioned way.     

He's not a UFA, but does anyone think that Semin might be a guy that we could acquire without giving up too much? Carolina's coaching staff seems to be really down on him, but his possession numbers look decent even though his production has dropped off significantly. Maybe a change of scenery could be what he needs. Carolina would probably be open to retaining some salary in a trade or taking a bad contract in return. If they'd take Zubrus and retain maybe $1-2M of Semin's salary, it might be a worthwhile gamble.

We really need right handed shooters and he has the skill to produce. If we also hit a home run in the draft in the 1st rd by taking a center that can step right into the NHL, we might be somewhat competitive next year. He's only got 3 years left on his deal too, so even if it doesn't work out, a buyout would be a reasonable option for the last year of his deal. I don't see us being very competitive in the next year or two if can't find a top center and RW, so I don't think it would hurt that bad to see this gamble fail.

Edited by ATLL765

Tlusty's an LW - pass.  NJ has plenty of those.

No they don't. Are Boucher and Matteau NHL players? We don't know. Perhaps neither are. Elias is turning 39 and is probably a 3rd liner next year. Clowe will never play again and Ruutu is completely worthless.

I've always been a fan of Bergenheim, but I agree that there are too many bottom 6 guys on the team for there to be room for him. I remember he was good in the 2012 first round series.

Otherwise, I agree that Zuccarello would be a good addition if he's available.

I'm not sure what to think of Tlusty, but Frolik seems like a guy we'd all get excited about, but he'd end up being mediocre for us.

No they don't. Are Boucher and Matteau NHL players? We don't know. Perhaps neither are. Elias is turning 39 and is probably a 3rd liner next year. Clowe will never play again and Ruutu is completely worthless.

You still have Cammalleri and Henrique.  And then in the system there's all sorts of guys who are potential LWs - probably most of them will amount to nothing.  Either way, Tlusty is another Brunner, another Ryder, etc.  Maybe he'll work out, but given the structure of the team as it is now, probably not.

You still have Cammalleri and Henrique.  And then in the system there's all sorts of guys who are potential LWs - probably most of them will amount to nothing.  Either way, Tlusty is another Brunner, another Ryder, etc.  Maybe he'll work out, but given the structure of the team as it is now, probably not.

No way he's another Ryder. He could be another Brunner. But he's also younger with far more NHL success under his belt

However, we're not in any sort of position where you can look at any part of this offense and say "yea, we're good here"

Edited by '7'

No way he's another Ryder. He could be another Brunner. But he's also younger with far more NHL success under his belt

However, we're not in any sort of position where you can look at any part of this offense and say "yea, we're good here"

Sure we are.  NJ still has limited resources - both salary cap dollars and ice time.  They have 0 RWs signed for next year.  They have Cammalleri, Henrique, Elias, Ruutu, Zubrus, Boucher, and Matteau as potential LWs next year.  They do not need LWs.

Edited by Triumph