Kane to Buffalo

redruM

Yes, because they've been pretty bad since about 2008.  And they are still going to be bad next year.

Unless we are talking about some extreme prospect misprojection, Buffalo in two maybe three years should be at least as good as Chicago and for a long time.  And if they end up with McDavid, they are a better team than the Devils next year, perhaps even with Eichel. 

Yes that's something to be jealous of right now, especially if you're a Devils fan.

Edited by Daniel

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Armia has better AHL numbers than Matteau. The draft pick from Winnipeg is better, and who knows if Gelinas would have played for Gelinas.  Brandon Lemieux looks like a legit NHLer.  The deal Winnipeg got is a lot better. 

Winnipeg could also trade the first round pick they received for Jagr.

Didn't know he was playing for anyone else.

Unless we are talking about some extreme prospect misprojection, Buffalo in two maybe three years should be at least as good as Chicago and for a long time.  And if they end up with McDavid, they are a better team than the Devils next year, perhaps even with Eichel. 

Yes that's something to be jealous of right now, especially if you're a Devils fan.

They don't have any defensemen right now.  They've got some young guys there that they like, and maybe those guys turn into something, but Buffalo is no sure thing, even with Kane and McEichel.

They don't have any defensemen right now.  They've got some young guys there that they like, and maybe those guys turn into something, but Buffalo is no sure thing, even with Kane and McEichel.

The thing that people like about Buffalo is they have assets and no long term anchors around their neck. They had 3 firsts in a strong draft if they played it smart then they would have 2 future key pieces at least from that. Yeah having assets means nothing if you screw it up (see Oilers, Edmonton) but people are optimistic

Buffalo needs to make a move soon for a young goalie like a Fucale perhaps. Hackett looks like a dud.

Hopefully this move opens the trade floodgates a bit.

Edited by coldply123

Buffalo keeps the wheeling and dealing going- they just traded Enroth to Dallas for Anders Lindback.

I'm a bit perplexed by this. Enroth was Buffalo's 1A and they trade down for Lindback, a guy who couldn't steal the spotlight from a struggling Lehtonen? Peculiar...

I guess that makes Neuvirth the starter in Buffalo and Lehtonen in Dallas, although I would not be suprised if Enroth gets a bite at the apple early, and the reigns if he puts up a few Ws.

Buffalo keeps the wheeling and dealing going- they just traded Enroth to Dallas for Anders Lindback.

I'm happy for Enroth. He was abused in Buffalo. Buffalo did pretty well too: got rid of a goalie that I don't think they were going to re-sign this offseason, and got a conditional pick. Lindback's NHL days are numbered.

Enroth is going to Dallas to play. Especially with Lehtonen sh!tting the bed.

Edited by Neb00rs

Good trade for both teams. Losing Kane hurts but the Jets get a player for the rest of the season that should be able to help them in Stafford and some quality prospects in Armia and Lemieux. Interesting note, apparently Claude wasn't going to have Brendan sign with the Sabres. 

Kane is a fantastic get for the Sabres with his skill, age, and contract. Buffalo already has some interesting forward prospects and of course they're going to land either McDavid or Eichel. It will be interesting to see who pans out or gets traded to fill a hole among forward prospects like Sam Reinhart, Grigorenko, Compher, Fasching, Larsson, Bailey, and Baptiste. Plus Girgensons is just 21.They have some interesting young D like Ristolainen, Zadorov, and McCabe. I suppose the Sabres could look to free agency/trade for a decent goaltender once they are good in a few years. They don't seem to have much in goaltender prospects outside of Linus Ullmark who seems to be having a slight down year in Sweden after a really strong previous two seasons.

Trading Enroth for Lindback makes sense given that it doesn't matter it makes them worse and they get a third round pick out of it. 

I think it's actually a decent return considering Kane's production has been in decline the last few years, is injury prone and a head case. Plus Myers imo has done more at the NHL level than Bogosian and will probably flourish outside of Buffalo.

I think they did pretty well. Landed Lemieux and a low first rounder for Kane. The defensemen are a wash. An unsigned goalie. I put up a review of the deal. Plus all the Sabres prospects.

Sabres roll the dice on Evander Kane

Good trade for both teams. Losing Kane hurts but the Jets get a player for the rest of the season that should be able to help them in Stafford and some quality prospects in Armia and Lemieux. Interesting note, apparently Claude wasn't going to have Brendan sign with the Sabres. 

Kane is a fantastic get for the Sabres with his skill, age, and contract. Buffalo already has some interesting forward prospects and of course they're going to land either McDavid or Eichel. It will be interesting to see who pans out or gets traded to fill a hole among forward prospects like Sam Reinhart, Grigorenko, Compher, Fasching, Larsson, Bailey, and Baptiste. Plus Girgensons is just 21.They have some interesting young D like Ristolainen, Zadorov, and McCabe. I suppose the Sabres could look to free agency/trade for a decent goaltender once they are good in a few years. They don't seem to have much in goaltender prospects outside of Linus Ullmark who seems to be having a slight down year in Sweden after a really strong previous two seasons.

Trading Enroth for Lindback makes sense given that it doesn't matter it makes them worse and they get a third round pick out of it. 

You are the authority on prospects. And I included basically all of them for Buffalo. The Sabres have two former picks already in the NHL on the blueline and McCabe is a stud. Bogosian might be a better style for Buffalo. Plus he comes home. I like the deal for Winnipeg based on the return. Especially if they get to the playoffs. They improved their roster and did well for the future. 

Damn wonder what Claude's beef with Buffalo is. Also wonder if and why he thinks Winnipeg is a better fit for him.

What do you think? He didn't want his son to play for a team that will be miserable for the near future. Being a young player on a terrible team can be immensely damaging to a player's career.

Edited by Neb00rs

You are the authority on prospects. And I included basically all of them for Buffalo. The Sabres have two former picks already in the NHL on the blueline and McCabe is a stud. Bogosian might be a better style for Buffalo. Plus he comes home. I like the deal for Winnipeg based on the return. Especially if they get to the playoffs. They improved their roster and did well for the future. 

At first I didn't think much of the Myers - Bogosian part of the deal. Two guys who haven't lived up to hype/potential and it seemed like a change of scenery swap kind of thrown in. Garret Hohl had some interesting takes comparing both of them over at Jets Nation and on his twitter. Maybe in the right role, with better players, Myers can regain his early career form. Though it's still very possible neither guy turns it around.

Myers for Bogosian is basically a wash, so the deal is Kane for Armia/Lemieux/Stafford/low 1st.  That's not a great return - if I were Winnipeg I'd want something a little more definite for him.  Armia doesn't look like anything special and Brendan Lemieux is a few years off.

I don't understand people saying he's some type of automatic 1st liner.  He's a good player, sure, but depending on the team and situation, he could honestly very easily be a 2nd liner, and even a 3rd liner on some deeper organizations.  Dude has had trouble staying healthy the past few seasons and honestly his numbers aren't mind blowing.  His best season was 30 goals and 57pts, but beyond that he hasn't hit the 20 goal mark and he's now in his 6th season.  He's still very young and who knows what could happen if they surround him with other talent in Buffalo, but I have my doubts, especially with giving up Myers, Stafford, a and a 1st rounder to boot.

I don't understand people saying he's some type of automatic 1st liner.  He's a good player, sure, but depending on the team and situation, he could honestly very easily be a 2nd liner, and even a 3rd liner on some deeper organizations.  Dude has had trouble staying healthy the past few seasons and honestly his numbers aren't mind blowing.  His best season was 30 goals and 57pts, but beyond that he hasn't hit the 20 goal mark and he's now in his 6th season.  He's still very young and who knows what could happen if they surround him with other talent in Buffalo, but I have my doubts, especially with giving up Myers, Stafford, a and a 1st rounder to boot.

If he's healthy, he's in the top 6 on any team in the league without a doubt. It's crazy to say a guy who is only 23 and has put up .62ppg over his career is a 3rd liner. I'd love to hear what team is SO deep that it has a guy like that on their 3rd line.

What do you think? He didn't want his son to play for a team that will be miserable for the near future. Being a young player on a terrible team can be immensely damaging to a player's career.

He could also be upset that Brendan didn't make the team this year considering how shallow they were. In the long run staying with buffalo might have been a good idea unless there would have been no room for him. Buffalo is going to be pretty damn good in like 5 years.

If he's healthy, he's in the top 6 on any team in the league without a doubt. It's crazy to say a guy who is only 23 and has put up .62ppg over his career is a 3rd liner. I'd love to hear what team is SO deep that it has a guy like that on their 3rd line.

Tampa?  St. Louis?  Anaheim?  Pittsburgh.  Just to name a few.  I'm just saying I would consider him a 2nd liner myself, and I think it's pretty absurd to say he's a bona fide 1st liner, because as much as his age could be to his benefit, it could also be to his detriment because he could end up being a bust and do nothing ta all over the next few years while he's still in his prime.

Tampa?  St. Louis?  Anaheim?  Pittsburgh.  Just to name a few.  I'm just saying I would consider him a 2nd liner myself, and I think it's pretty absurd to say he's a bona fide 1st liner, because as much as his age could be to his benefit, it could also be to his detriment because he could end up being a bust and do nothing ta all over the next few years while he's still in his prime.

Among forwards who've played 1500 minutes the last 3 seasons (including this one), Kane ranks 4th in shots per 60 minutes.  His most common linemate was Olli Jokinen, a player who is currently finished, and Mark Schiefele, a very young player.  3rd on the list is where we get to Blake Wheeler.  Give him a real center and he will probably light it up.

He could also be upset that Brendan didn't make the team this year considering how shallow they were. In the long run staying with buffalo might have been a good idea unless there would have been no room for him. Buffalo is going to be pretty damn good in like 5 years.

Lol, only 5 years huh? 5 years can be an entire career. Very often players who start out for dreadful teams end up out of the league after just a few years.

I do agree not making the team could have factored into it though.