Cangelosi: Oates Or Stevens Will Most Likely Be Head Coach Next Year

TheMazz

In this exclusive interview with AlternativeNation.net’s Sports section, Devils play-by-play man, Steve Cangialosi discusses his background as a broadcaster, Doc Emrick, what the locker room has been like since Peter DeBoer’s departure, who we could see behind the Devils bench next year, the development of Adam Larsson and Eric Gelinas, what the Devils’ role  at the trade deadline will be, playoff hopes, Martin Brodeur’s stint with the St. Louis Blues and more.

http://www.alternativenation.net/cangialosi-oates-stevens-most-likely-devils-head-coach-next-season/

Edited by TheMazz

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the most obvious thing ever

Still, I'd rather have neither as coach. Knowing Lou's recent decision making, he'll probably pick Oates.

Oates will be the last coach Lou ever hires then... Because when he sucks (and he will), I think the owners say 'enough of this garbage'. Oates is an awful coach. Edited by MadDog2020

Yeah fvck that. If this happens, Lou needs to go. Enough. Just... Enough.

From what I got out of everything it seems to be like both have the support of the locker room and elsewhere and that another hire, an outsider would be a pretty out of left field thing.

Also, one of the major points I thought was interesting was Steve saying that he felt Adam was going to blossom, no matter who the coach was going to be, including Pete, while when I interviewed Chico he said he didn't know why the coaching staff doesn't like Larsson (at the time and referring to Pete)

Oates will be the last coach Lou ever hires then... Because when he sucks (and he will), I think the owners say 'enough of this garbage'. Oates is an awful coach.

While I think Lou survives one more offseason I think and have heard rumblings the new owners may be pushing for some front office changes and transition planning soon where Lou would sort of be a senior president but relinquish GM and oversight of scouting to a new person.

"Bryce is a good guy and has been an absolute pro in that locker room for the longest time. Fans give him a bad rep and I feel horrible for him because he is a good pro. People seem to forget how good he was in 2012 by the way. I’m not saying that we should continue to throw roses at players years later, I understand that’s the universe we live in but the Devils have had one magical run since 2003 and Bryce Salvador was a big, big part of that. People should not forget how good he was during a lot of those post season games."

Fun fact: After I got done interviewing the guy he said, (and Chico mentioned this too) is that him and the crew lurks HF, NJD's offical Facebook page and this forum the most.

Also, again, I am at awe at how different his answer was from Chico's. Chico pretty much ripped the guy apart. You could tell one is a total company guy and the other isn't at all/wasn't.

But I do these interviews, basically for you guys. I have no other promotion other than here and FB. Reddit IP banned me and HF won't let me post anything unless I post 3 interviews a week, which isn't happening. So basically, all of these Devils interviews are for you guys and I thank you for supporting reading them and asking questions.

I'm sure I'll have more soon. Maybe I'll do one with Dano or Johnny Mac next.

Edited by TheMazz

"Bryce is a good guy and has been an absolute pro in that locker room for the longest time. Fans give him a bad rep and I feel horrible for him because he is a good pro. People seem to forget how good he was in 2012 by the way. I’m not saying that we should continue to throw roses at players years later, I understand that’s the universe we live in but the Devils have had one magical run since 2003 and Bryce Salvador was a big, big part of that. People should not forget how good he was during a lot of those post season games."

Fun fact: After I got done interviewing the guy he said, (and Chico mentioned this too) is that him and the crew lurks HF, NJD's offical Facebook page and this forum the most.

Also, again, I am at awe at how different his answer was from Chico's. Chico pretty much ripped the guy apart. You could tell one is a total company guy and the other isn't at all/wasn't.

But I do these interviews, basically for you guys. I have no other promotion other than here and FB. Reddit IP banned me and HF won't let me post anything unless I post 3 interviews a week, which isn't happening. So basically, all of these Devils interviews are for you guys and I thank you for supporting reading them and asking questions.

I'm sure I'll have more soon. Maybe I'll do one with Dano or Johnny Mac next.

Thank you Mazz. Really appreciate what you do brother. Keep up the great work.

Johnny Mac would be an awesome one. Besides talking about his time in NJ (88, 1994 ECF, Stanley Cup in 1995, what led to his trade), I'd love to know about how he reflects on his head coaching stint in NJ, and then seeing them play extremely well under Lemaire, his time as an assistant under Pat Burns and the 03 Cup team, etc. Does he think his coaching career is over? He's probably as good as an interview subect that you could get.

As for the difference between Chico/Steve, I completely disagree since Chico is no longer with the team/MSG. He can say whatever he wants right now, and it wouldn't change anything. I also don't thin he ripped Salvador, rather than ripping the idea of an older player being the captain of the team. I loved that opinion because when your team is struggling, it's hard to be a leader and motivator when guys can't look to you to be a difference maker.

Also, Steve is right about Bryce and the treatment. It's always unfair when a really good guy takes a beating for other people's decisions. He seems like an awesome guy who was just put in a bad spot.

Edited by devilsrule33