RIP Steve Montador

ghdi

Wow, sad.  RIP.

I wonder what happened.  If brain trauma / concussions are the cause.. brace yourselves because another wave of changes will be coming. 

Suicide brought on by depression from being away from the game is my guess. In the NBC Sports article, it had his quotes on how hard it is for some guys to step away from the game.

Instead of bringing awareness to the post-hockey problems and lives of the athletes, certain media members will undoubtedly turn this into more support for anti-fighting agendas. [see: adam proteau]

Suicide brought on by depression from being away from the game is my guess.

While yes, undoubtedly this is a problem and could be a circumstance here, it absolutely has to be noted that he had a severe concussion that basically ended that career. He had symptoms from it from March of 2012 and well into 2013 when he was playing in Europe. We all know what concussions have contributed to the mindset of these athletes. Montador's death is only going to add to this issue and its entirely possible that if it was suicide he may have left a note (like Seau) that may say even more. 

Right now, that's speculation. James Mirtle made that silly assumption on Twitter and got blasted. What if it was just due to all the concussions and hits Montador took? He was only 35. I put up my thoughts on a gritty player gone too soon. RIP :(

Montador Dead At 35

Adding further thought, anxiety and depression are serious issues. As someone who battles it daily, it is my eternal hell. At any moment, I can feel like I'm in a dark tunnel I can't escape. With proper medication, treatment and health, that is the only way to combat it. 

Right now, that's speculation. James Mirtle made that silly assumption on Twitter and got blasted. What if it was just due to all the concussions and hits Montador took? He was only 35. I put up my thoughts on a gritty player gone too soon. RIP :(

Montador Dead At 35

Adding further thought, anxiety and depression are serious issues. As someone who battles it daily, it is my eternal hell. At any moment, I can feel like I'm in a dark tunnel I can't escape. With proper medication, treatment and health, that is the only way to combat it. 

http://www.tsn.ca/montador-was-plaintiff-in-concussion-case-estate-may-pursue-claim-1.208266

Edited by ghdi

Funny you posted that because I was going to. Very sad. Side related. My Dad is a sports official who referees boys lacrosse. As part of recertification, he has to take a Concussion course online. He did it last night on my laptop. The course is about half an hour long and goes over what officials and coaches should look for. It's very educational and informative. There's a test at the end. The only reason I mention it is because it got me thinking about the current lawsuit from former players. It made me think about how irresponsible and uninformed teams were on concussions. There wasn't a proper protocol because they weren't as educated. Look at how it affected players post-career. If they had had more available, maybe there could have been different outcomes. The same applies to anxiety and depression. Now, when troubled athletes speak out, they are fully supported. 

Sad to see a player go so early. RIP Steve.

Also Larry Brooks put out this piece yesterday that I think is very relevant to this.  It's about the lawsuit that has been filed by about 35 ex-NHL players against the NHL in regards to concussions.  Some notable names are Butch Goring, Turner Stevenson, Bernie Nicholls and Darren Langdon.  Very interesting read and wonder how this will turn out.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/14/goring-co-not-afraid-of-nhl-in-concussion-lawsuit/

Montador Dead At 35

Mental illness is truly an internal hell that most people that haven't experienced it, don't understand.

I have terrible anxiety and it's a HUGE impediment to doing the normal, everyday things that most people do with ease and even enjoy doing. To make things worse, you can leave yourself feeling even worse about yourself as you purposely isolate yourself in an attempt to quell the symptoms, which then really just make it worse in the long run and many times leading to depression from the isolation.

Medication can help, but it's not he quick fix people see it to be. For me, taking benzos helps, but they take something away from me, leaving me dulled and operating at a less efficient level, both mentally, emotionally and physically.

These stories really hit home with me because of things like that. I truly empathize with others in the world who suffer from mental illness and hope that the exposure from incidents like this help to better our understanding of them.

• Like 1

Mental illness is truly an internal hell that most people that haven't experienced it, don't understand.

I have terrible anxiety and it's a HUGE impediment to doing the normal, everyday things that most people do with ease and even enjoy doing. To make things worse, you can leave yourself feeling even worse about yourself as you purposely isolate yourself in an attempt to quell the symptoms, which then really just make it worse in the long run and many times leading to depression from the isolation.

Medication can help, but it's not he quick fix people see it to be. For me, taking benzos helps, but they take something away from me, leaving me dulled and operating at a less efficient level, both mentally, emotionally and physically.

These stories really hit home with me because of things like that. I truly empathize with others in the world who suffer from mental illness and hope that the exposure from incidents like this help to better our understanding of them.

This is a very good way of describing it. Mental health is something that I hope is taken more seriously in the coming years. I didn't get it either until I started having my own anxiety problems a few years ago. Its downright exhausting to deal with on a daily basis. 

These things are real, and its time they were given the proper attention.