New York Yankees 2015 Thread

Derek21

you knew

Bye Bye Birdie! Greg Bird hits 2 home runs as the Yanks remain atop the AL East and actually gain a game on the Blue Jays. Congrats kid!

you knew he was gonna get one soon.. he's been making solid contact.

also, how bout Eovaldi last night? we knew he wasn't gonna stay perfect and even after that no-hitter was broken up, we could still admire the pitches he was throwing. apparently he threw 28 pitches over 100mph last night... 28 PITCHES!! the hardest of which being 102.4mph, unreal.

thats the thing, we need our starters to come through now more than ever.  just be easy on our bullpen until September when the team can call up a bunch of help

The continued progression of Eovaldi has been great to watch this year. I really think working with Rothschild has helped him. I was glancing at his career numbers today and a couple of things stand out to me. First, his K/9, BB/9, HR/9, and FIP are all fairly consistent in his short career. This year his 51.6 GB% is above his career average of 46.2 and nearly a 7% increase over last season's. It will be encouraging if he can keep that up going forward. Pitch f/x suggests that his changeup has improved this season and it really likes the splitter he's added. Another thing to keep an eye out for going forward.

I also have to give Didi some praise. He's rebounded from a tough start to become solid offensively (for a SS) and a defensively. According to Fangraphs, he ranks 12th out of 24 qualified SS's in WAR and 6th in defense. Hitting .277/.316/.362/.678 since June 1st. The league average SS is hitting .257/.304/.373 so he's been really solid since June 1st.

To get all cliche, "Bird just looks like a hitter." I love that he's just not a guy that relies on running into a fastball for his offense. He's shown at every minor league level that he can work the count, draw walks, and hit for power. With how solid his minor league numbers are, I'm pretty confident he can become an above average hitter in the majors for quite some time.

Can't wait until September 1st since they need all the fresh bullpen arms they can get. Fortunately they got some quality options too. If there's one thing the Yankees do well, it's draft and develop relievers.

Looks like the division is done. When A-Rod and Teixeira don't hit, the offense struggles. Gardner hasn't hit either. They're still too reliant on the long ball. Pineda with a rough outing in his return. He's hit or miss. Severino and Eovaldi are the most reliable starters. I put up a new post on baseball. Plenty of Yanks, Mets and on a exciting summer full of surprises.

Random Thoughts: Yankees, Mets and MLB

Yankees are only two back...can't say that yet.  But the Jays are the better team on paper at this point. 

Yankees are only two back...can't say that yet.  But the Jays are the better team on paper at this point. 

Agreed. And kudos to Toronto for making bold moves. Something someone in this thread will not address. 

When we started this baseball season, I think a lot of yankee fans figured this would be a growing pains year, and the playoffs weren't really a thing that was going to happen for them.

The fact that we're almost in September and still playing meaningful games is something to me.  We've seen DiDi become a major league shortstop, we've seen the continued evolution of Nathan Eovaldi (GENIUS move by Cashman, BTW), we're hopefully seeing some maturation from Michael Pineda so that he can take that next step.  Even if the Yankees don't make the playoffs this coming year, there are plenty of positives to be taken from this season.

That said, I want the division.  :D

Agreed. And kudos to Toronto for making bold moves. Something someone in this thread will not address. 

AA was probably GM'ing for his job at this point.  But still, yes, they were willing to part with the pieces to win now.

I agree with everything Value just said.

The Yankees already exceeded my expectations. Teixeira has managed to stay relatively healthy and be very effective (145 wRC+ in 462 PA's) and A-Rod who was a great unknown heading into the year has been awesome as a DH (133 wRC+ in 499 PA). I never would've expected those two to do anything close to that this season. Beltran, another guy I didn't expect much out of, has been awesome since May 1 and has a 121 wRC+ on the year. I legitimately thought he was finished.

Besides being happy with the way Didi and Eovaldi have progressed, I'm also pleased with the rebound year McCann is having. He's hitting above league average with solid defense (112 wRC+ - 3rd among C's, 2.9 WAR - 2nd among C's).

It seems lately the Yankees are hitting a wall, which coupled with the Jays big moves, is why things have gone south. Still, I'm glad Cashman didn't overpay on rentals that probably wouldn't have helped all that much. I'm very happy to have held onto Severino, Bird, Judge, Sanchez, Jagielo, and Mateo for the time being. They have a young pitching staff and finally some legit position player prospects in the upper levels of the minors that should be ready soon or could be used in the right trade. I like where this team is going.

They made all their bold moves in the offseason. Trading for Didi and Eovaldi. Both have worked out. Cashman gets a lot of credit for listening to someone on Miller and not bringing back Robertson. Inquiring minds are curious to know which player you would've acquired that wouldn't have meant giving up our untouchables. 

A man fell and died tonight in Atlanta at the game.Crazy, The man fell from section 401 and landed close to a 200-level area where players' wives and families sit. There was blood on the concrete surface around the seats.

Just awful, r.i.p.

That fan was in his 60's and apparently started yelling at A-Rod when he came up to pinch hit. Misplaced hate cost him his life. Sad.

• 2 weeks later...

HUGE series this weekend with the Jays.  We have our destiny in our hands this weekend.  Let's go get them here and now, take back the division lead and never let go.  It's been a weird season, up and down and better than expected by far...but now, with a little over 20 games left, we can smell the division title and a playoff birth.  Sweep these clowns out of our house, and let's take control again.  LETS GO YANKS!

• 3 weeks later...