GDT: Phoenix at NJ

Derlique

They are making it interesting, would have been better to have started playing like this before late February but it's been fun to watch.

It's too little too late for sure. Just too hard to make up ground unless you're winning damned near every game.

They're a bad team beating worse teams right now. The Canucks game is the only outlier in the win streak. I kind of dread where they will finish now that they're playing better, but in no way good enough to make the playoffs. They may be picking outside of the top ten. I don't know how many NHL-ready or impact players will be available by then.

TOOToo has been great, I like him with Zajac and Cammalleri. Plus he is my 7 year old daughter's favorite (because she likes wearing a tutu, which she thinks he should wear when he plays).

He's becoming a lot of people's favorite lol, I saw at least three Tootoo jerseys at the Rock tonight not including someone else who was buying one at the Devils Den.

Impossible not to be happy for Cory and Cam.

Cory might actually pull a 30 win season out of this pile of junk.  :rofl: Wow.

Also, don't look now, but Gomez with 5 points in his last 6. That's very good for this team.

Edit: Oh and Larsson with 5 assists in his last 3 games. :o Night and day.

Edited by Neb00rs

He's becoming a lot of people's favorite lol, I saw at least three Tootoo jerseys at the Rock tonight not including someone else who was buying one at the Devils Den.

I'm considering one if he comes back next year.

I really hope we retain Gomez and Tootoo. Gomez seems to have found some of that old Devils magic. And Tootoo is one of those players who brings it every game and gives you a serviceable 4th line with grit.

Gomez has looked great and if he isn't traded I'll be surprised.

Ok I won't because it's Lou, but still...

I'm considering one if he comes back next year.

Gomez has looked great and if he isn't traded I'll be surprised.

Ok I won't because it's Lou, but still...

I don't think the Devils should bring Gomer back next year.  He's been a nice story for sure, but I think this is a short story, not a novel. 

We know what a long shot this is...Devils are down by 8 points with 22 games remaining, and Boston has a game in hand.  The Bruins can basically squelch any talk about the Devils making a run by winning their next two games (the second of which is against the Devils).  If the Devils lose to the Flames, then the coffin nails have been hammered in.  The absolute ONLY way I can even remotely defend Lou not dealing off assets at the deadline (and it will still be very hard to do it) is if the Devils win all three of their games prior to 3/2, and Boston loses all of theirs.  That would put the Devils two points behind the Bruins, with Boston still having a game in hand.  But that's also ignoring the Flyers and Panthers.  And I still think even if the Bruins do lose out prior to the deadline, and the Devils win out, it's just too risky...if Lou keeps the team almost completely intact, then to me he got bamboozled by an extremely favorable part of the schedule.  I still feel that he should be thinking beyond this season. 

And if the Devils lose to the Bruins, I think Lou should abandon any hope of making the playoffs.  Even if he doesn't do it publicly. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don't think the Devils should bring Gomer back next year. He's been a nice story for sure, but I think this is a short story, not a novel.

We know what a long shot this is...Devils are down by 8 points with 22 games remaining, and Boston has a game in hand. The Bruins can basically squelch any talk about the Devils making a run by winning their next two games (the second of which is against the Devils). If the Devils lose to the Flames, then the coffin nails have been hammered in. The absolute ONLY way I can even remotely defend Lou not dealing off assets at the deadline (and it will still be very hard to do it) is if the Devils win all three of their games prior to 3/2, and Boston loses all of theirs. That would put the Devils two points behind the Bruins, with Boston still having a game in hand. But that's also ignoring the Flyers and Panthers. And I still think even if the Bruins do lose out prior to the deadline, and the Devils win out, it's just too risky...if Lou keeps the team almost completely intact, then to me he got bamboozled by an extremely favorable part of the schedule. I still feel that he should be thinking beyond this season.

And if the Devils lose to the Bruins, I think Lou should abandon any hope of making the playoffs. Even if he doesn't do it publicly.

Interested as to why you wouldn't bring Gomez back?

I would imagine he can be had on a low $ low term contract. He brings a lot of things the team lacks. He slots into most lines and can play special teams. What is not to like?

He is a low risk high reward player at this stage. And I think the way his career has gone has changed his outlook on the game.

I would imagine he can be had on a low $ low term contract. He brings a lot of things the team lacks. He slots into most lines and can play special teams. What is not to like?

He is a low risk high reward player at this stage. And I think the way his career has gone has changed his outlook on the game.

I think Gomez fits into Lou's plans for next season.

I just think he's a short-term gain.  I have a feeling he won't do this again next season.  Could I be wrong on that?  Sure.  Maybe the Devils just bring out the best in him.  But I'd still be wary...I just feel like he's a one-season wonder.

Guys i'd keep for sure:

Zajac

Henrique

Josefson

Gomez

Elias

Tootoo

Bernier

Cammalleri

Gionta

(but even keeping those guys, thats 9 players that are not really skilled enough as a group)

Severson

Larsson

Greene

Merril

Gelinas

Harrold

Schneider

Kinkaid

Guys i'd want to see gone (not that i dont like them but it's just time to move on)

Jagr

Salvador

Havlat

Ryder

Clowe

Ruutu

Zubrus 

I just think he's a short-term gain.  I have a feeling he won't do this again next season.  Could I be wrong on that?  Sure.  Maybe the Devils just bring out the best in him.  But I'd still be wary...I just feel like he's a one-season wonder.

At this point the Devils could do a LOT worse than giving him a one year one million dollar deal next season though.....

Guys i'd keep for sure:

Zajac

Henrique

Josefson

Gomez

Elias

Tootoo

Bernier

Cammalleri

Gionta

(but even keeping those guys, thats 9 players that are not really skilled enough as a group)

Severson

Larsson

Greene

Merril

Gelinas

Harrold

Schneider

Kinkaid

Guys i'd want to see gone (not that i dont like them but it's just time to move on)

Jagr

Salvador

Havlat

Ryder

Clowe

Ruutu

Zubrus

On the offensive side I wouldn't want Gionta and on the defensive side I wouldn't want Harrold and Gelinas if I can replace them with better.

I don't think the Devils should bring Gomer back next year.  He's been a nice story for sure, but I think this is a short story, not a novel. 

We know what a long shot this is...Devils are down by 8 points with 22 games remaining, and Boston has a game in hand.  The Bruins can basically squelch any talk about the Devils making a run by winning their next two games (the second of which is against the Devils).  If the Devils lose to the Flames, then the coffin nails have been hammered in.  The absolute ONLY way I can even remotely defend Lou not dealing off assets at the deadline (and it will still be very hard to do it) is if the Devils win all three of their games prior to 3/2, and Boston loses all of theirs.  That would put the Devils two points behind the Bruins, with Boston still having a game in hand.  But that's also ignoring the Flyers and Panthers.  And I still think even if the Bruins do lose out prior to the deadline, and the Devils win out, it's just too risky...if Lou keeps the team almost completely intact, then to me he got bamboozled by an extremely favorable part of the schedule.  I still feel that he should be thinking beyond this season. 

And if the Devils lose to the Bruins, I think Lou should abandon any hope of making the playoffs.  Even if he doesn't do it publicly. 

I think you have to trade Jagr no matter what happens at this point.  He's playing passionless hockey right now, and seems like he's already checked out.  Get what you can for him, and move on.  

Keep him on an incentive laden 1 year deal, and I wouldn't mind having him back.  He rushes the puck well and brings a dimension none of our other centers have. 

I just think he's a short-term gain. I have a feeling he won't do this again next season. Could I be wrong on that? Sure. Maybe the Devils just bring out the best in him. But I'd still be wary...I just feel like he's a one-season wonder.

I can see where you are coming from but he isn't going to be getting Jagr money. I think he could easily be sent down for the sort of $ he would command.

Also he is leading the team in points per game. I know that doesn't show the full picture but that is quite an achievement giving where he started the season.

Jagr

Salvador

Havlat

Ryder

Clowe

Ruutu

Zubrus 

I forgot Salvador, Havlat, Ryder and Clowe were still on this team. 

I rewatched this game, Larsson is creating a scary amount of prime scoring chances with his passing. 

AND he is still shooting also. He has been a totally different player. I was all about getting rid of him at the start of the season. No way I think they should now. 

If he's not looking for a fortune, I would bring him back. He's been much better than anticipated.