GDT: Phoenix at NJ

Derlique

I'm tired of being pissed about the Devils winning.  Feels weird, don't get any sort of enjoyment from it.

So I'm going to go about thinking about this in a different way - my Dad's suggestion, actually.  The Devils clearly aren't going to tank - and I think the hockey Gods are going to reward them for it  :boogie:

Larsson finally becoming the player we knew he could.  Cory playing the best hockey of his career.  Cammy doing his thing.  Finally some positives from this season!

Edited by Devilsfan118

I don't think the Devils should bring Gomer back next year. He's been a nice story for sure, but I think this is a short story, not a novel.

I disagree. He hasn't looked gassed at the end of games like Sykora did in 11-12, his skating is still great and he's a pass first guy, a skill that doesn't fade nearly as quickly as goal scoring.

I'm not saying give him a 3/10 deal or anything, but I'd take him back on a 1/2.5 or maybe a 2/4 deal. That's a low enough cap hit that it won't kill us with all the deals coming off the books this summer.

can we pay gomez per game like marty had in st louie?

He didn't get paid per game, he had a standard deal for $700k that was prorated for the number of days he was on the roster though.

It was just that on top of that, he had bonuses that gave him an extra $10k for each point earned with him in net and a reported $125k bonus for being on the roster on 2/1 and another if he was there on 3/1.

We could certainly give Gomez a contract with GP bonuses, but he's had a much better year than Marty did in his previous season, so he can probably get a more standard contract with another team if all we offer is a 1 year, sub $1M deal with GP bonuses, unless the bonuses are something like $500k for hitting the 40 game mark and another $500k for getting to 65-70GP.

Edited by ATLL765

I disagree. He hasn't looked gassed at the end of games like Sykora did in 11-12, his skating is still great and he's a pass first guy, a skill that doesn't fade nearly as quickly as goal scoring.

I'm not saying give him a 3/10 deal or anything, but I'd take him back on a 1/2.5 or maybe a 2/4 deal. That's a low enough cap hit that it won't kill us with all the deals coming off the books this summer.

He didn't get paid per game, he had a standard deal for $700k that was prorated for the number of days he was on the roster though.

It was just that on top of that, he had bonuses that gave him an extra $10k for each point earned with him in net and a reported $125k bonus for being on the roster on 2/1 and another if he was there on 3/1.

Speaking of which, can my employer give me a $10k bonus every time I do my job the right way??

Speaking of which, can my employer give me a $10k bonus every time I do my job the right way??

Yes, remember the controversy a few years over the Newark superintendent of public schools? He was getting a salary of something like $200k+ and then huge bonuses that could boost it to over $300k not for actually raising grades or test scores, but rather to only create a plan for doing so.

There was a couple other performance bonuses that were obviously written to be impossible not to be accomplished, but just to make it so they could list his salary as being lower than it would end up. That backfired big time though.

Only in NJ, right? lol

Edited by ATLL765

I can see where you are coming from but he isn't going to be getting Jagr money. I think he could easily be sent down for the sort of $ he would command.

Also he is leading the team in points per game. I know that doesn't show the full picture but that is quite an achievement giving where he started the season.

Can't argue that he hasn't been a nice story.  The guy was pretty much left for dead, as far as his NHL career was concerned.  I'm sure Scott himself is surprised by this. 

I think at this point, if you really insist on bringing him back (and though I wouldn't do it myself, I can understand why some people want to), you go year-to-year, with contracts in the $1-1.5 mil range (provided there's no major drop-off before this season ends).  I think Scott would actually go for this (maybe with minor raises)...he knows only one guy gave him a shot, and though he did play well at times for other teams after he left, I think he realizes this is probably the best place for him at this point.  And his contract wouldn't ever be an issue. 

I'm tired of being pissed about the Devils winning.  Feels weird, don't get any sort of enjoyment from it.

So I'm going to go about thinking about this in a different way - my Dad's suggestion, actually.  The Devils clearly aren't going to tank - and I think the hockey Gods are going to reward them for it  :boogie:

Larsson finally becoming the player we knew he could.  Cory playing the best hockey of his career.  Cammy doing his thing.  Finally some positives from this season!

I can't root for my team to lose or tank (even if they stand to benefit from it)...it's just not in my fan DNA.  I like cheering for my team to win.  I like getting excited after the Devils score a big goal, rather than being pissed off.  And I really like having players to get behind...like Cory and Cam stubbornly putting up their numbers, Larsson showing signs of becoming the kind of player we'd all hoped for...KK showing he can compete in the NHL...it's just a lot more fun to me this way. 

I'm tired of being pissed about the Devils winning. Feels weird, don't get any sort of enjoyment from it.

So I'm going to go about thinking about this in a different way - my Dad's suggestion, actually. The Devils clearly aren't going to tank - and I think the hockey Gods are going to reward them for it :boogie:

Larsson finally becoming the player we knew he could. Cory playing the best hockey of his career. Cammy doing his thing. Finally some positives from this season!

Doubt it. The hockey gods don't like us much. Buffalo will get one of McDavid and Eichel, some a$$hole team like the Phailures or Carolina will win the lottery, and we'll draft a 3rd line LW with our mid-round pick after missing the playoffs by 4 points. All this after Lou trades for some washed-up schmuck next week. Yeah sorry, fed up...

I'm tired of being pissed about the Devils winning. Feels weird, don't get any sort of enjoyment from it.

So I'm going to go about thinking about this in a different way - my Dad's suggestion, actually. The Devils clearly aren't going to tank - and I think the hockey Gods are going to reward them for it :boogie:

Larsson finally becoming the player we knew he could. Cory playing the best hockey of his career. Cammy doing his thing. Finally some positives from this season!

Doubt it. The hockey gods don't like us much. Buffalo will get one of McDavid and Eichel, some a$$hole team like the Phailures or Carolina will win the lottery, and we'll draft a 3rd line LW with our mid-round pick after missing the playoffs by 4 points. All this after Lou trades for some washed-up schmuck next week. Yeah sorry, fed up...

Can't argue that he hasn't been a nice story.  The guy was pretty much left for dead, as far as his NHL career was concerned.  I'm sure Scott himself is surprised by this. 

I think at this point, if you really insist on bringing him back (and though I wouldn't do it myself, I can understand why some people want to), you go year-to-year, with contracts in the $1-1.5 mil range (provided there's no major drop-off before this season ends).  I think Scott would actually go for this (maybe with minor raises)...he knows only one guy gave him a shot, and though he did play well at times for other teams after he left, I think he realizes this is probably the best place for him at this point.  And his contract wouldn't ever be an issue. 

Or he could go the other way and try to use the success he's had to get a bigger deal from another team. At this point in his career, if he's offered $1.5M for one year by the Devils, and another team sees what he's done and says what the heck, take a shot, they offer him $2.5M, I don't see him sticking around because we gave him a shot. 

That's just not how pro sports works 99.9999% of the time.

Yes, remember the controversy a few years over the Newark superintendent of public schools? He was getting a salary of something like $200k+ and then huge bonuses that could boost it to over $300k not for actually raising grades or test scores, but rather to only create a plan for doing so.

There was a couple other performance bonuses that were obviously written to be impossible not to be accomplished, but just to make it so they could list his salary as being lower than it would end up. That backfired big time though.

Only in NJ, right? lol

Year 1- Create a plan to raise test scores, publish plan as proof of work at end of year

Year 2 - Design pieces needed to be implemented to introduce the plan into the schools

Year 3 - Design a plan to get the money to fund the plan outlined in Year 1

Year 4 - Get the money, and start working on components outlined in Year 2

Year 5 - Test the plan on a small scale, to see if it works

Year 6 - Determine plan (once implemented) lowers grades and now teaches children to take their shows off to count to 20, but roll out statewide anyway due to cost incurred in Year 4

Year 7- Create a plan to raise test scores, publish plan as proof of work at end of year

That's how you change curriculum in NJ! :)

Edited by jim777

I'd bet very heavily against this.

the biggest impediment to him reaching this level is actually severson. if it's greene-severson topping out with TOI and them viewing larsson from a D-zone start perspective, it will be very tough, especially with NJ's likely continued lack of offense next year.

the biggest impediment to him reaching this level is actually severson. if it's greene-severson topping out with TOI and them viewing larsson from a D-zone start perspective, it will be very tough, especially with NJ's likely continued lack of offense next year.

The biggest impediment to it is that 10 D last year had 25 or more points 5 on 5.

Or he could go the other way and try to use the success he's had to get a bigger deal from another team. At this point in his career, if he's offered $1.5M for one year by the Devils, and another team sees what he's done and says what the heck, take a shot, they offer him $2.5M, I don't see him sticking around because we gave him a shot. 

That's just not how pro sports works 99.9999% of the time.

He's also getting up there in years, and was pretty much awful the four seasons before this one.  I don't think too many teams will be interested.  This is pretty short-term success too...it's not like he did this over 82 GP.  If he has an 80 GP, 50-point season, then maybe someone offers something in the $2.0-$2.5 mil range...but even then, it's not like Gomer's had a whole ton of success outside of NJ. 

The biggest impediment to it is that 10 D last year had 25 or more points 5 on 5.

i expect that sort of jump from Larsson, his hockey sense with the puck is similar to that of Karlsson in terms of making seam passes through the neutral zone. Obviously with projections of this sort you are betting against mean level exceptions but I really think Larsson will be able to do it. As long as he can keep up 22 to 23 minutes a night. He is on pace for 29 ES points over the course of an 82 games season, that includes his time under DeBoer.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

i expect that sort of jump from Larsson, his hockey sense with the puck is similar to that of Karlsson in terms of making seam passes through the neutral zone. Obviously with projections of this sort you are betting against mean level exceptions but I really think Larsson will be able to do it. As long as he can keep up 22 to 23 minutes a night. He is on pace for 29 ES points over the course of an 82 games season, that includes his time under DeBoer.

He's running crazy hot.  He has points on 65% of the goals scored when he's on the ice.  The highest rate sustained over the last 5 years (not including this one) is Erik Karlsson at 51%, and then Keith Yandle at 45%.  I like a lot of what Larsson's doing and last night was one of his best games so far.  He's still getting a huge dose of luck.

He's running crazy hot.  He has points on 65% of the goals scored when he's on the ice.  The highest rate sustained over the last 5 years (not including this one) is Erik Karlsson at 51%, and then Keith Yandle at 45%.  I like a lot of what Larsson's doing and last night was one of his best games so far.  He's still getting a huge dose of luck.

I agree but I also believe you will see much more of last night in the future. I would imagine his passes lead to scoring chances much more than the average defensmen in the NHL. Sure he won't have points on 65% of the goals scored but it wouldn't shock me to see him in the 40% range.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

In Larsson's last 21 games he has 11 ES points. Some due to good luck but I fully expect 25-30 ES points next year.

Most of his points are ES since he doesn't get PP time but I don't really see him as having the offense skill to put up more than ~30 points in a season. He's never going to get time on the 1st PP unit with Severson around, especially since his shot isn't good enough to be a real threat, which is the only way I see him ever putting up .5ppg.

Larsson has 16 ES points this year in 42 games. Streakiness or not, he is on pace for 31 ES points over a full season. I see no reason to believe he won't match that pace next year. Predicting 25-30 as JMI did, is more than reasonable.  For his entire career Larsson has an 18 ES points per season rate. I suppose that is what you are working off of Triumph?

Edited by Neb00rs

I agree but I also believe you will see much more of last night in the future. I would imagine his passes lead to scoring chances much more than the average defensmen in the NHL. Sure he won't have points on 65% of the goals scored but it wouldn't shock me to see him in the 40% range.

I am banking on the Devils scoring a lot more in general next year too, so he won't need a 60% point share for goals scored while he's on the ice to maintain a similar rate of ES scoring. That plus we have to remember that Larsson's avg. ES TOI this year is still only 16:30. But he is playing A LOT more ES time as of late (ex: 20 mins vs. Buf, 22 mins vs. Carolina, etc...) If his ice time stays as it is now, I have high hopes. We are also seeing a lot more confidence in his passing ability and that intangible is a good sign too.

Larsson has 16 ES points this year in 42 games. Streakiness or not, he is on pace for 31 ES points over a full season. I see no reason to believe he won't match that pace next year. Predicting 25-30 as JMI did, is more than reasonable.  For his entire career Larsson has an 18 ES points per season rate. I suppose that is what you are working off of Triumph?

It's like you didn't even read this post, so I will helpfully link it to you, this way you will see it and see why I think that that is unlikely.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=134476&page=5#entry1306536

It's like you didn't even read this post, so I will helpfully link it to you, this way you will see it and see why I think that that is unlikely.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=134476&page=5#entry1306536

Thanks for the link, good read. Unfortunately, that 65% is just one number to look at and doesn't explain everything, or really anything at all, as much as you would like it to. As I said above (I won't link it, just scroll) Larsson has not played that much this season up until now. I think that if he continues to get the amount of ES time next year that he is getting now, and the Devils can score a bit more, he will have no problem getting to 25-30 ES points.

Thanks for the link, good read. Unfortunately, that 65% is just one number to look at and doesn't explain everything, or really anything at all, as much as you would like it to. As I said above (I won't link it, just scroll) Larsson has not played that much this season up until now. I think that if he continues to get the amount of ES time next year that he is getting now, and the Devils can score a bit more, he will have no problem getting to 25-30 ES points.

It explains a lot.  It's not sustainable.  No defenseman has even come close to sustaining that percentage.  It means he is getting lucky and that the number of points he has now are not a reflection of his true skill, points-wise.  Erik Karlsson controls the puck when he's on the ice - Larsson doesn't.  Is he controlling it more?  Sure.  I like what he's doing out there with the puck.  He's not going to get 25-30 ES points next year and he probably won't come all that close, either.  I'd say a fair over/under would be 19 per 82 games.

Edited by Triumph