GDT: Calgary at NJ 7:30pm

Jerzey

Win or Lose?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Want to see them win or lose tonight?

• Win! LGD!
    • Lose! LGD future!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the loss the Devils deserved, and it's a loss the Devils needed.

Again I don't really see what the big difference is going to be between Lou's deadline activity if we were in it as opposed to out of it.

Jagr's getting traded either way, that's obvious.  Zidlicky might not be traded either way.

Who else could they move...Gomez/Bernier/Tootoo?  Maybe you'll get third-rounders for them, whoopee.  If we get a second-rounder for anyone not named Jagr at the deadline I'll be happily surprised and at this point even Jagr probably'll only get back a conditional second.

This drives the final nail into their coffin. The Devils have had a lot of bounces go their way of late. Today not a one. Calgary with a goal 13 seconds to go in the period (a rush goal no less, completely inexcusable) then a phantom penalty on Merrill. Once that was called everybody with 1/2 a brain knew Calgary was scoring on that powerplay, which they did to end the game

Again I don't really see what the big difference is going to be between Lou's deadline activity if we were in it as opposed to out of it.

Jagr's getting traded either way, that's obvious.  Zidlicky might not be traded either way.

Who else could they move...Gomez/Bernier/Tootoo?  Maybe you'll get third-rounders for them, whoopee.  If we get a second-rounder for anyone not named Jagr at the deadline I'll be happily surprised and at this point even Jagr probably'll only get back a conditional second.

There might be interest. Look what the Leafs got for Winnick and Santorelli. Every bit helps. As Tri always points out, the Devils haven't had many draft picks in the last 10 years. It's an inexact science, but having as many bullets as possible will always be best.

I watched tonight's game to check out a few players including Johnny Gaudreau, a 4th round pick, so you never know. 

There might be interest. Look what the Leafs got for Winnick and Santorelli. Every bit helps. As Tri always points out, the Devils haven't had many draft picks in the last 10 years. It's an inexact science, but having as many bullets as possible will always be best.

I watched tonight's game to check out a few players including Johnny Gaudreau, a 4th round pick, so you never know. 

The other part is I'm not even sure Gomez/Bernier/Tootoo get moved either way cause there's reason to re-sign any or all of them this offseason and Lou doesn't usually trade guys he wants to re-sign (really most teams don't...Keith Thachuk situations are rare).

Edited by NJDevs4978

The other part is I'm not even sure Gomez/Bernier/Tootoo get moved either way cause there's reason to re-sign any or all of them this offseason and Lou doesn't usually trade guys he wants to re-sign (really most teams don't...Keith Thachuk situations are rare).

There's reason to want to re-sign Jagr too, but it's the deadline, and this is what teams out of the playoffs should do. The Devils don't need both Bernier and Tootoo next year. They could use Gomez, but if a playoff team sees a need for him, pull the damn trigger. 

The chances of re-signing Jagr went out the window the minute Pete got his pink slip, or the minute Oates was introduced as the co-coach depending on your POV.

Either way third and fourth-rounders don't do anything for me.  Wake me when one of these other guys fetches a two, or a real forward prospect.  Zid would fetch that but I don't think he wants to move.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The chances of re-signing Jagr went out the window the minute Pete got his pink slip, or the minute Oates was introduced as the co-coach depending on your POV.

Either way third and fourth-rounders don't do anything for me. Wake me when one of these other guys fetches a two, or a real forward prospect. Zid would fetch that but I don't think he wants to move.

This is pretty much my thinking too at this point. I'm not getting my hopes up for the trade deadline.

Good. I'm also glad he is wasting his time with his "temporary" coaching job that is approaching 2 months now instead of on the phones with other GM's. Makes me really confident going into the trading deadline.

Admittedly that kind of annoys me too, I was hoping he'd have gone back upstairs before the deadline though the fact they have such a home-laden stretch this week makes me hope he hasn't been missing too much since the office is nearby :P

There's no way Lou would buy anyone of consequence...he didn't buy anyone the last two years when we were closer to the playoffs than we will be this year, not unless you count Ruutu for a conditional 3rd in two more years.  Sullivan for a 7th doesn't count.

It's just a matter of who he is able to/does sell besides Jagr.  There's no way you can have him on this team past the deadline whether you're 0, 4 or 8 points out, not if you're going to play him 12 minutes a night and he's not going to produce.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

Either way third and fourth-rounders don't do anything for me. Wake me when one of these other guys fetches a two, or a real forward prospect. Zid would fetch that but I don't think he wants to move.

Sometimes a GM can use those extra mid-round picks to move up in a given draft (to move up within a round, etc). Like dr33 says, can't hurt to have extra "bullets" at this point.

It's the loss the Devils deserved, and it's a loss the Devils needed.

The Devils are playing better than they were when they were somehow winning games during that 8-2-2 run, but this loss should be the one that squelches any talk about getting into the playoffs.  Even if the Devils had won last night's game and the next two, though I wouldn't have advocated Lou going out and getting another aging or pricey piece, I would've understood him keeping the team mostly intact...I would've been a little nervous about that, but this year's team has something that it hasn't had consistently in several years:  top-level, game-stealing puckstopping.  Cory is playing well enough to carry a mediocre team into the playoffs.

That being said, I don't care if the Devils win the next two games by blowout...there's simply too many teams in the mix (we all kind of overlooked Ottawa, which has games in hand on everyone involved), and the Devils' schedule is really tough in March and April.  The Devils needed to win all three games leading up to the deadline to sell me on trying to get in.  They didn't.  I think at some point, you have to draw your line in the sand and not play "What if" anymore.  This 12-7-2 stretch has been entertaining at times and it's been great watching some individual performances, but this team hasn't earned anyone's trust.  So hopefully Lou enters the deadline as both a seller, and a buyer as long as the piece that he's picking up can help the Devils well beyond 2015.  No keeping current short-term pieces or picking up a rental with the hope of making the playoffs.         

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Fitting though, wasn't it? This team reverted back to garbage after the tying goal after they were playing as well as they had for weeks.

I suppose so.  I didn't get to see much of the game unfortunately, and, speaking of fitting, I made it home in time to see the last 12-15 minutes of the 3rd.  I didn't get home until about 9:30 and was quite tired and ready to wind down, so I was watching the game on my laptop in bed and when they pulled the goalie I was gripping, then when we got the PP with like 50 seconds left it was enough for me to jump up, put the laptop on my desk, and stand up and watch. After being really excited, 3 seconds, done.  I closed the laptop in disgust and got back into bed lol.

In a sick way, I almost found humor with what just happened:

Game on the line, 2 man advantage, 40 seconds left- everything is set up for an exciting finish... aaaaaand they blew it in 3 seconds. Unreal.

I think we all did.  

Sometimes a GM can use those extra mid-round picks to move up in a given draft (to move up within a round, etc). Like dr33 says, can't hurt to have extra "bullets" at this point.

That's fine but people have been making out this deadline as if we'll trade everything if we're out of it and trade nothing if we're within ten points and neither meme is true, for a variety of reasons.  The actual difference in being out of it and not is probably smaller than most people think in terms of what happens this weekend.  Especially given the returns we get.  People can't make the difference between a couple of third-rounders as the big difference in whether we can rebuild immediately or whether we'll run in place for the next five years :P

Now if the team's clearly out of it Lou HAS to broach waiving the NTC to Zid, to me that's the main difference.  If Zid doesn't want to go anywhere...and I suspect he doesn't, then it is what it is.  If Lou doesn't even ask (assuming he doesn't already know the answer) then people can fillet him left and right - well except for the one guy who has no credibility vis-a-vis Lou anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I wonder what happens if we beat Boston in regulation and fall into that 6pts out no-mans land of are we in/are we out? That's the only scenario I can think of where Lou stands pat and does nothing.

This was my biggest fear.  They've fallen into this for the past few playoff-less seasons and it's done nothing but harm them when Lou hasn't sold on FA's / veterans.

The one thing I didn't want to happen.  And, would you look at that - here we are pretty much there at the trade deadline.

Such a frustrating and disappointed waste of a season.

Edited by Devilsfan118

This was my biggest fear.  They've fallen into this for the past few playoff-less seasons and it's done nothing but harm them when Lou hasn't sold on FA's / veterans.

The one thing I didn't want to happen.  And, would you look at that - here we are pretty much there at the trade deadline.

Such a frustrating and disappointed waste of a season.

This year is really not quite the same as the past two seasons.  Two years ago, the Devils were in 7th place at the deadline.  Last season, they were in 11th, but were only two points out of the final playoff berth and were 14-8-7 since 12/14 (7-4-2 since 1/21) in the games leading up to the deadline.  I could understand why Lou didn't want to bail on those seasons (even though it didn't work out either time).

But Lou can't and shouldn't roll the dice again this season, even with Schneider giving them chances to win games almost every game that he's starting.  Like I said, at some point you have to decide that enough is enough.  Why should Lou or anyone else believe that this team that is pretty well out of it right now can fare any better than two Devils teams that were actually in the playoff hunt?   

as long as he deals Jagr, I'll consider Lou's trade deadline day acceptable. it is quite possible there is no market for anyone else he would want to deal (ryder, havlat, bernier, gomez, tootoo) or zidlicky refuses to waive his NMC.

but jagr can have a home found for him - there is no question of this and the devils can retain salary if necessary to make it happen. maybe he only brings back a 3rd. Whatever - he needs to be dealt.

i would deal all 5 of the players listed without NMC for anything - literally anything.

as long as he deals Jagr, I'll consider Lou's trade deadline day acceptable. it is quite possible there is no market for anyone else he would want to deal (ryder, havlat, bernier, gomez, tootoo) or zidlicky refuses to waive his NMC.

but jagr can have a home found for him - there is no question of this and the devils can retain salary if necessary to make it happen. maybe he only brings back a 3rd. Whatever - he needs to be dealt.

i would deal all 5 of the players listed without NMC for anything - literally anything.

Eh, I'm still kind of hoping we keep Bernier, Gomez and Tootoo. They seem to have found their place on this team.