Should Schneider be traded?

AEWHistory

Schneider for assets?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do we explore trading Schneider for assets?

• Yes
    • No

Funny, I expected the flaming and verbal abuse but this is ridiculous. Five years ago when I predicted that Lou was done and hurting the franchise people acted the same way. Don't believe me? Look it up. I posted a poll just like this one.

I think it is sad that people cannot have a mature discussion here. Moreover, I think we will regret not trading him. I'll put it down in writing: the Devils aren't going to win anything with CS because the team simply doesn't have the assets to do it before he fades. We will never develop a SC winning set of forwards and finish fleshing out the Def (as well as give them experience) and have enough depth at these positions in the next year or two.... And probably not three. Even if we hit home runs with almost EVERY draft pick this year the players would take 2-3 years to develop!

Consider this: how much talent, more or less, does this team have than the Devs of the late '80s? That team still took half a decade to mature. What level of play will CS be at in half a decade?

Its just that we had this discussion already. Everybody flamed that guy too. Even then, when cory was playing average. now hes puting up vezina numbers and a new one comes around. you did it to yourself

Funny, I expected the flaming and verbal abuse but this is ridiculous. Five years ago when I predicted that Lou was done and hurting the franchise people acted the same way. Don't believe me? Look it up. I posted a poll just like this one.

I think it is sad that people cannot have a mature discussion here. Moreover, I think we will regret not trading him. I'll put it down in writing: the Devils aren't going to win anything with CS because the team simply doesn't have the assets to do it before he fades. We will never develop a SC winning set of forwards and finish fleshing out the Def (as well as give them experience) and have enough depth at these positions in the next year or two.... And probably not three. Even if we hit home runs with almost EVERY draft pick this year the players would take 2-3 years to develop!

Consider this: how much talent, more or less, does this team have than the Devs of the late '80s? That team still took half a decade to mature. What level of play will CS be at in half a decade?

Its just that we had this discussion already. Everybody flamed that guy too. Even then, when cory was playing average. now hes puting up vezina numbers and a new one comes around. you did it to yourself

I think it is sad that people cannot have a mature discussion here. Moreover, I think we will regret not trading him. I'll put it down in writing: the Devils aren't going to win anything with CS because the team simply doesn't have the assets to do it before he fades.

While I don't think the Devils will regret not trading him, I do think you could make the case that Cory was acquired at the wrong time for this franchise in the long run.

But then again, no guarantee the Devils ever find a goalie on Cory's level down the line.

Depends on the return. IE Taylor Hall or their 1st? Might be too hard to pass up.

I'd do that in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

AEW: the problem is trading Cory may not get you to the promised land any faster. The Devils have no goaltending in their system. You have a sure thing in net for a while. It's as much of a given as we have at this point. What's nice is, provided the Devils can put a good defense together, they may not need lots of top-line forwards...they may be able to get by with timely scoring.

Put it this way: what or who exactly are you trading Cory for? If it's to a team looking to get over the top, then the picks you're getting will be lower first-rounders. Like I said, I don't think the Devils will be necessarily be better off long-term by not keeping Cory. Look at the Devils' recent history drafting goalies...it ain't good.

Its just that we had this discussion already. Everybody flamed that guy too. Even then, when cory was playing average. now hes puting up vezina numbers and a new one comes around. you did it to yourself Its just that we had this discussion already. Everybody flamed that guy too. Even then, when cory was playing average. now hes puting up vezina numbers and a new one comes around. you did it to yourself Its just that we had this discussion already. Everybody flamed that guy too. Even then, when cory was playing average. now hes puting up vezina numbers and a new one comes around. you did it to yourself

But you're missing the point: you buy low and sell high! When CS wasn't playing well the return would've been mediocre for a goalie we all know is good. Right now we might be able to get a VERY nice return for a goalie who is while very good, horribly overrated by devils fans. He hasn't won anything people. So many of your are starting to sound like Rags fan fawning over the Queen.

BTW, having an amazing goalie and a shallow, talentless team gets you what?

THE BUFFALO SABRES!

Now I'm sure someone is going to tell me that CS is better than Hasek, but Hasek didn't win a damn thing until he played on a team with depth.....

But you're missing the point: you buy low and sell high! When CS wasn't playing well the return would've been mediocre for a goalie we all know is good. Right now we might be able to get a VERY nice return for a goalie who is while very good, horribly overrated by devils fans. He hasn't won anything people. So many of your are starting to sound like Rags fan fawning over the Queen.

THE BUFFALO SABRES!

Now I'm sure someone is going to tell me that CS is better than Hasek, but Hasek didn't win a damn thing until he played on a team with depth.....

Dont you ever compare me to a rags fan ever again. Got it? good. Now I understand that a lot of people overrate him but I truly believe he can be a vezina finalist at least one more time after this season. If he doesnt get nominated(he should fvcking win if he keeps this up) i will throw a hissy fit. He is an elite goaltender in this league whether you believe it or not. And as for the rags comment once more. I dont hear anyone calling him the king of anything he never won a goddamn thing in. Yupp they say hes the king but he hasnt won the only title you play for. end rant.

THE BUFFALO SABRES!

You get a nice return, but it sets you back years. Goalies who play as well as Cory has the last few months don't just show up. So once you get rid of him and have some forwards, you need to find a goalie all over again. 

The concept makes sense, in theory, because it might be better to get a few top notch forwards rather than retaining a stud goalie who plays his a$$ off but we still miss the playoffs because he's all we have.

Personally, I think he's young enough to build around him, we have always been defense oriented and all of our D-men and our awesome goalie are proof of that.

But we need more guys who can ripple the twine though. It's altogether possible (likely?) that we will have only one guy score 20 goals this year. So I ask you this: if you don't trade Schneids, how do you accomplish that?

the only reason this team has even been winning games is because this guy. but hey yea lets trade him, great idea!

If we had a less good goalie and two more 25-30 goal scorers, we'd win a bunch too, no? He is the only reason we have been winning, but if we had people who could actually score, would that be the case? Edited by mfitz804

First, it's not a ridiculous post, and if anything it kind of helps focus on the state of the franchise even if we're talking about hypotheticals.

The answer to your question though lies in whether you believe the Devils can make the playoffs I the next three to four years. If the answer is yes, which I believe it is, an elite goalie can get you very far into the playoffs pretty much on his own. It's also not a stretch at all to assume that he'll be almost as good at the end of his deal. He's only 28 and doesn't have a ton of mileage under him. In fact, a lot less at this stage of his career than Lundqvist, Price or Luongo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is absolutely retarded. First of all, learn to spell the guy's name right, it's Cory, not Corey. I don't understand how a fan of any team could struggle with spelling the name of one of it's stars and arguably its best player.

On the idea of actually trading him, that's one of the worst ideas I've seen suggested on here for a few reasons. One being the fact that Kinkaid is not ready to be a #1 goalie and probably will never be.

Another is that the trade would undoubtedly be loss for us because the market for goalies is extremely limited unless you're willing to take a team's current #1 goalie as part of the trade. On top of that, top goalies are rarely traded while in their prime and teams tend to not get a huge package in return for a goalie. The best established goalies that have been traded lately were Miller and Luongo.

Miller was a rental and was traded for Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart, prospect William Carrier, St. Louis' 2015 1st and 2016 3rd. This is actually a pretty good package, but the picks were in drafts that were 1 and 2 years away, respectively, were guaranteed to be late in the rounds, Carrier was a 2nd rd pick having a just ok year in juniors producing at 1ppg and Chris Stewart is, well, Chris Stewart. I'm not sure a package similar to this does much to help the Devils in the short or long term even if they hit a home run with the 1st rd pick. At best it'd solve one problem, but have created another.

Luongo was a trade that was just to get rid of his contract, so that's not really comparable.

All other goalies traded in recent years were similar to the trade we made to acquire Schneider where the goalie had a limited number of GP. The returns for the goalies vary, but were mostly just for picks.

Bobrovsky got the Flyers a 2nd and two 4th rd picks in the 2012 draft.

Bishop was traded for Cory Conacher and a 2013 4th.

Bernier traded for a 2013 2nd, Matt Frattin and Ben Scrivens.

Fasth got a 2014 2nd and a 2015 3rd.

Scrivens got a 2014 3rd.

Varlamov was traded for a 1st and 2nd rd pick in the 2011 draft, but that was an absolute fleecing by Washington because even though Varlamov had an exceptional season last year with Colorado, he's still really a .918 save % goalie.

None of the packages traded for those goalies are good enough to be able to consider trading Schneider. Only way it makes sense is if it occurs after the draft, we take an A+++ goalie prospect at some point or a team includes one in the trade, even then that's a giant risk since an A+++ goalie prospect today could end up as an AHL nobody tomorrow. Then if that were to occur, I'd want a package like Jordan Eberle AND Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in exchange for Schneider. Anything short of that is trading one problem for another.

I wouldn't do it, for various reasons, but the biggest is how valuable the right goalie is when developing young d. A good goalie is a coach on the ice. Just look at how Marty worked with guys like Martin, Iduua, and Greene after Nieds left. He also bails kids out for their mistakes, which is huge for confidence.

And just because I think it's a bad idea doesn't mean it's a bad discussion topic, so everyone flaming the OP calm the fvck down. For that matter, even if it wasn't a valid topic calm the fvck down. I liked this board for being mostly respectful. That seems to be going away.

Another thread that could've been a great discussion overrun by mongoloid mouth breathers. Man, I used to love this place. Now I see why there has been so much turn over with the old guard.

It's an interesting concept, for sure. Lets say Cory puts up a .930 sv% this season and starts out on that track next year. If we miss the playoffs, does it really matter what his save percentage is? If EDM makes a substantial offer, I think you have to at least listen. It's easier for the Devils to find an average goalie to replace Schneider than to build an average offense with him

Another thread that could've been a great discussion overrun by mongoloid mouth breathers. Man, I used to love this place. Now I see why there has been so much turn over with the old guard.

It's an interesting concept, for sure. Lets say Cory puts up a .930 sv% this season and starts out on that track next year. If we miss the playoffs, does it really matter what his save percentage is? If EDM makes a substantial offer, I think you have to at least listen. It's easier for the Devils to find an average goalie to replace Schneider than to build an average offense with him

If our d was old, I'd completely agree with you, but right now we're okay at 2 of 3 positions, and the d is fragile as hell. If we get the right forwards and Merrill, Lars, or Severson regress, we're just as bad as we are now.