Lou Lamoriello will remain GM even if team misses playoffs -Chere

msweet

NEWARK — How much clout do three Stanley Cup rings bring, even it's been 12 years since the last championship?

Enough, NJ Media Advance has learned, that Lou Lamoriello will remain the Devils' general manager, even if the team misses the playoffs for a third straight season and for the fourth time in five years.

Owners Josh Harris and David Blitzer have enough faith in Lamoriello's ability to return the Devils to Stanley Cup contenders that he will keep his position despite the belief by some critics that it's time to move on.

..."My view has been, 'Why tamper with success?' " Harris said this past fall in a meeting at the NJ Advance offices. "When we hand out $40-plus-million on contracts, rest assured we're spending a lot of time talking, discussing, analyzing.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2015/02/lou_lamoriello_will_remain_devils_gm_even_if_team.html

That wasn't really a question to me. He is not getting fired and he's obviously not ready to go.

Same. He's done too much for the organization to not give him another chance. And we know he wouldn't want to leave the team with the current state it's in. When he does go, it will either be because he's in the ground or he has the team set up well for the future.

This article is a joke.

You have quotes from the fall and the past...O'Neil's quote was from before the season.  Harris and Blitzer didn't have any current comments for this article.  Then you've got a "few" anonymous sources that turn out to be two (a Western Conference club executive and an NHL executive, according to Chere), both of whom are simply giving opinions.  I'm not saying that I think Lou is gone (he's probably not), but I'm definitely not using this article as any reason to think he's 100% safe. 

Chere has been wrong.before and almost non-stop now going on a few years, but it does look like Lou is still here this offseason.

Disappointing there's no accountability with the new owners, oh well.

More Chere something-from-nothing stuff that he throws together. Lou will most likely be back, but those Harris quotes are from 6 months ago. The rest is speculation from "sources". I think ownership gives Lou this season as a pass, but I'm pretty sure they are going to want some results relatively soon. 

More Chere something-from-nothing stuff that he throws together. Lou will most likely be back, but those Harris quotes are from 6 months ago. The rest is speculation from "sources". I think ownership gives Lou this season as a pass, but I'm pretty sure they are going to want some results relatively soon.

They gave him a pass last season and the season before that under the VBK nonsense. I think they're pushing him to bow out gracefully or accept a transition and changes to some scouting and development areas. They don't want to fire him outright but he may be pushed to where he decides it's best to walk away.

I don't think Chere has any sources within ownership. Why would he? So this is just your standard Chere clickbait but it worked on me.

It sounds like he just talked to a couple other people around hockey.

Same. He's done too much for the organization to not give him another chance. And we know he wouldn't want to leave the team with the current state it's in. When he does go, it will either be because he's in the ground or he has the team set up well for the future.

Let me preface this by saying I am, and always will be, grateful for everything that LL has done for this franchise. But his history with the devils is becoming an increasingly poor argument for keeping him. It's almost starting to starting to resemble MB's retirement debacle. LL has been here for a quarter of a century for this team has been clearly declining in many respects for a decade. Now think about that... that's 40% of his entire tenure has been a long, slow, painful decline punctuated by a really nice but totally aberrant SC run. In that time the scouting, drafting, and talent development have fallen to shambles. LL did a lot for this franchise, but it's over. For whatever reason he simply does not have "it" any longer. It happens to everyone eventually and this franchise has given him WAY more leeway in this regard than almost any other franchise would in any other situation. Can anyone else imagine another GM underperforming this badly and this long and still being allowed to keep his job?

Edited by AEWHistory

Let me preface this by saying I am, and always will be, grateful for everything that LL has done for this franchise. But his history with the devils is becoming an increasingly poor argument for keeping him. It's almost starting to starting to resemble MB's retirement debacle. LL has been here for a quarter of a century for this team has been clearly declining in many respects for a decade. Now think about that... that's 40% of his entire tenure has been a long, slow, painful decline punctuated by a really nice but totally aberrant SC run. In that time the scouting, drafting, and talent development have fallen to shambles. LL did a lot for this franchise, but it's over. For whatever reason he simply does not have "it" any longer. It happens to everyone eventually and this franchise has given him WAY more leeway in this regard than almost any other franchise would in any other situation. Can anyone else imagine another GM underperforming this badly and this long and still being allowed to keep his job?

Not saying you specifically are doing this, but now lumping Lou's struggles into a decade when the team was still consistently competitive for the first half of it is unfair, and feels like an attempt to make Lou's more recent tenure sound worse than it really was. 

A lot of their defensive stalwarts retired or left just before this "decade" stretch.  Finding replacements was not going to be easy, and as we've seen, it wasn't.  Yet Lou still managed to put passable defenses on the ice (thanks in part to Marty turning in some of his best goaltending after the 2004-05 lockout)...in the regular season, anyway.  Come playoff time, those guys did get exposed, can't argue that...lots of series where the Devils looked slow and shaky as a team.  Lou tried to find some long-term solutions via UFA (like Tallinder and Volchenkov), but they didn't work out as well as he would've hoped. 

That being said, if I said I felt completely comfortable with Lou being the guy to lead the Devils back to playoff contention, I'd be lying.  I fully understand why some fans feel like it's time to move on, and as much as I appreciate what Lou did while he was here, I can't say I'll be heartbroken if he moves on.  And this "article" might as well have been about nothing, because that's what Chere brought to the table with this one:  NOTHING.  How do quotes that Chere dusted off from several months ago have any relevance now?  What, Harris and Blitzer can't possibly change their minds?  They could've made those statements when the Devils were 6-3-2 and looking pretty good for all we know.  A lot has changed since then.  Lou clearly made moves to win this season and to get into the playoffs.  H&B gave him considerable freedom to spend to make that happen.  It hasn't.  If I'm them, can I afford to have blind confidence that Lou can turn this around?  I don't necessarily buy that he's as safe as some believe...I think missing the playoffs this season might be the end of Lou's "leeway".

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

you are certainly entitled to that opinion and I totally understand how ugly these past 3 years have been. As CR already said we were a competitive team all the way up to the Maclean year. That was really Lou's first major misstep, but even then he recognized it and fixed it and nearly got us into the playoffs (in fact the second half of that season was one of the most exciting times to be a devils fan IMO)

What I refer to in my post about Lou's meaning to the team is that the franchise would have left NJ a LONG time ago if not for the success that Lou single handedly brought here. The franchise exist snow only because Lou was able to out a competitive team on the ice year after year. IMO three of four bad years does not totally wash away all that he's done. I do feel as though his time is limited here and he needs to turn things around quickly, but IMO he's earned another year.

Edited by dmann422