Elias not happy on the 4th line

Chimaira_Devil_#9

I do understand what you are saying and I hate the repetition of my remarks. So I am done discussing Lou for the remained of this season, not off season, that would be too much. He's not the guy I want to float this ship. Too much bad lately. I also realize he was working under some tough conditions. I would never say he was too old to do the job, I would say too set in his ways and the  NHL has passed his way along time ago.  Thanks for the response.

This I agree with. I do think someone else needs to step in. I support Lou on the Parise/Kovalchuk stuff. And I think all good teams fall on hard times. However, there's a lot I don't like about Lou and a lot of his thinking is outdated. I do think it's time for new blood and a new philosophy. I'm happy with the goaltending and the future of the defense. But I think the use of some of the forwards (specifically Zubrus) this year says a lot. 

This I agree with. I do think someone else needs to step in. I support Lou on the Parise/Kovalchuk stuff. And I think all good teams fall on hard times. However, there's a lot I don't like about Lou and a lot of his thinking is outdated. I do think it's time for new blood and a new philosophy. I'm happy with the goaltending and the future of the defense. But I think the use of some of the forwards (specifically Zubrus) this year says a lot. 

If this team struggles as badly as I think it will down the stretch, I wonder what ownership will do.  I still don't think Lou is a lock to be here after this season ends (I don't care about the quotes made in the fall by H&B). 

Which makes you wonder about guys like Elias...does a new regime decide guys like that suddenly become expendable?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If this team struggles as badly as I think it will down the stretch, I wonder what ownership will do.  I still don't think Lou is a lock to be here after this season ends (I don't care about the quotes made in the fall by H&B). 

Which makes you wonder about guys like Elias...does a new regime decide guys like that suddenly become expendable?

I feel like the ownership trusts Lou, and they respect his track record. But I also think most new owners want to put their stamp on a team. Lou has his hands in a lot of decisions. I'm sure that ruffles feathers. That can be ignored when you're winning, of course, but anyone who wants Lou out behind the scenes might be making a lot of sense right now in Harris' mind. 

Like it or not, Lou is a legend. I honestly don't see him getting fired. It would have to be a situation where he wants to leave, or is convinced to do so, and he would retire so as to avoid the embarrassment of being fired. 

Otherwise, he'll still be around. And if the team is good, he'll be great, and if the team is bad, he'll suck, just like the GM of every other team in pro sports. 

Like it or not, Lou is a legend. I honestly don't see him getting fired. It would have to be a situation where he wants to leave, or is convinced to do so, and he would retire so as to avoid the emb

rassment of being fired. 

Otherwise, he'll still be around. And if the team is good, he'll be great, and if the team is bad, he'll suck, just like the GM of every other team in pro sports.

I don't think anyone has ever spoken about firing. Retirement or another assignment.

Not even going to read this thread, because I didn't get in early enough and I see that three pages in we're somehow discussing Parise, again.  I suspect SD is to blame here.

Anyway - Chere is a joke.  He's a fully grown, professionally paid troll.  His articles are nothing more than sensationalized clickbait.  He posted something after the game on Sunday like "Martin Brodeur booed during the ceremony?" when all any person in attendance heard was deafening applause, cheers, and chants.

I don't even read nj.com articles anymore, and I really hope you guys adopt the same policy.  With the way they cover Rutgers and now the Devils, I wouldn't object if the entire paper went out of business.

So, in summary:  NJ.com sucks.  I'm sure Elias isn't happy playing in a 4th line scenario.  Shocker.  Not worried about Elias being honest and then having his words blown out of proportion.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Parise only signed the one year deal for the express purpose of showing other teams he was healthy so he could land the big payday. He had no intention of staying here, it just would make no sense to sign a long term deal coming off a season missed due to injury.

Lou had NO CHANCE of retaining him. Personally, I'd have traded him during the one year deal.

When I first heard Zidlicky rumors, I thought Minnesota was going to be putting a major package together for Parise. I knew that's where he was ending up.

If you want someone to blame, blame the NHL for putting a team in Minnesota.

Not even going to read this thread, because I didn't get in early enough and I see that three pages in we're somehow discussing Parise, again.  I suspect SD is to blame here.

Anyway - Chere is a joke.  He's a fully grown, professionally paid troll.  His articles are nothing more than sensationalized clickbait.  He posted something after the game on Sunday like "Martin Brodeur booed during the ceremony?" when all any person in attendance heard was deafening applause, cheers, and chants.

I don't even read nj.com articles anymore, and I really hope you guys adopt the same policy.  With the way they cover Rutgers and now the Devils, I wouldn't object if the entire paper went out of business.

So, in summary:  NJ.com sucks.  I'm sure Elias isn't happy playing in a 4th line scenario.  Shocker.  Not worried about Elias being honest and then having his words blown out of proportion.

You are so right, Chere is going for the ugly because the Devils stink

Second bold: The Devils have missed the playoffs 3 times since 2005. Four including this year. BUT they also finished first in the division 4 seasons, second in the division one season, and went to the finals one year. That's not failing. 

10 years is too long a time to go back when it comes to track record when reviewing future performance in sports in any capacity. 6 years is the max and I'd argue 3-5 is more appropriate. The last 5 years have not been great for Lou and his team. That goes back to 2010-2011 season. Now you're talking playoffs 1 out of 5 years. Are there reasons for this? Of course. Were they all Lou's fault? Of course not.

But what Lou could have done to overcome Parise, Kovalchuk and Brodeur was not done well. A very large portion of that comes down to poor drafting for the last 10 years. 9/59 players drafted by the Devils are NHL'ers by any real measure (this includes the likes of Mark Fraser). And only 5 of them (Fayne, Henrique, Severson, Larsson and Merrill) would I consider above average NHL players. Triumph did a post a while back that highlighted the Devils poor drafting but also acknowledged that they're not as terrible as it appears with this kind of track record.

And he also sabotaged himself with Hedberg coming back for his last season when Marty was an absolute gamble. Rather than find the undervalued aspects in the NHL (guys without options that teams dump or are forced to take pennies on the dollar for example), he goes with the overpay for questionable UFA route. He's hit with Sykora and Jagr part 1 and Cammelleri so far. I'm not going to count re-signing of Kovy or Elias - as far as I'm concerned those are extensions. But otherwise, the list is pretty much disaster.

I don't think anyone has ever spoken about firing. Retirement or another assignment.

Did you read my post? I already said that. But that requires him to be willing to do that and I haven't seen any indication that he is. If anything, he was MORE involved by making himself coach overlord. 

10 years is too long a time to go back when it comes to track record when reviewing future performance in sports in any capacity. 6 years is the max and I'd argue 3-5 is more appropriate. The last 5 years have not been great for Lou and his team. That goes back to 2010-2011 season. Now you're talking playoffs 1 out of 5 years. Are there reasons for this? Of course. Were they all Lou's fault? Of course not.

But what Lou could have done to overcome Parise, Kovalchuk and Brodeur was not done well. A very large portion of that comes down to poor drafting for the last 10 years. 9/59 players drafted by the Devils are NHL'ers by any real measure (this includes the likes of Mark Fraser). And only 5 of them (Fayne, Henrique, Severson, Larsson and Merrill) would I consider above average NHL players. Triumph did a post a while back that highlighted the Devils poor drafting but also acknowledged that they're not as terrible as it appears with this kind of track record.

And he also sabotaged himself with Hedberg coming back for his last season when Marty was an absolute gamble. Rather than find the undervalued aspects in the NHL (guys without options that teams dump or are forced to take pennies on the dollar for example), he goes with the overpay for questionable UFA route. He's hit with Sykora and Jagr part 1 and Cammelleri so far. I'm not going to count re-signing of Kovy or Elias - as far as I'm concerned those are extensions. But otherwise, the list is pretty much disaster.

I didn't pick 2005. That was the year BostonNala threw out. I just said you can't say he's failed for 10 years. The last few years have sucked obviously, but there were a lot of factors involved Edited by Devil Dan 56

Not even going to read this thread, because I didn't get in early enough and I see that three pages in we're somehow discussing Parise, again. I suspect SD is to blame here

I have absolutely nothing to do with this.

CR on the other hand is always in the middle of lou's debates.

Edited by SterioDesign

Damn it Chere!

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-patrik-elias-dealing-with-back-spasms-says-he-s-satisfied-with-role-on-team-1.1288907

I asked Elias today to talk about his current role playing on a line with Dainius Zubrus and Stephen Gionta and what he believes is a misperception that he is not satisfied with it.

“Why wouldn't I be satisfied?” Elias asked. “I'm playing 17, 18 minutes a game. When you're playing against top lines, playing on the PK and power play, there's not much more you can play.”