Albany Devils Thread - 2015-16 Edition

Triumph

On 3/14/2016 at 0:09 PM, CommonDreads said:

It'll be interesting to see what they do on defense for next season, Hrabarenka is looking like it might be time for a legitimate look

I agree. It would have been nice to get Hrabarenka some looks this season as opposed to Helgeson.  We know what Helgeson brings to the table.  If Cory is shutdown for the year and I'm the GM, I'm getting some of these guys looks in the last twelve games, especially Hrabarenka or Mozik.  Especially with how Severson and Merrill have been playing.   Would be nice to get a right handed shooter too.  

Warsofsky doesn't seem like much.  I have to say that I'm truly not impressed and he should be in the minors. 

The A Devs have signed Paul Geiger to an ATO per TG:

The Albany Devils announced today that they have signed defenseman Paul Geiger to an amateur tryout agreement.

Geiger, 23, recently completed a four-year career at Clarkson University, serving as team captain the last two seasons. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound defenseman had five goals and eight assists in 35 games this season.

In 150 carer games at Clarkson, the Stouffville, Ontario native had 13 goals and 38 assists for 51 points with 70 penalty minutes.

During his junior season, he received Clarkson’s Fran Neragin Award, which is presented to a player who displays unselfish play and sportsmanship both on and off the ice.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

I wonder what kind of courses they offer at Clarkson U...

Orientation:  He's Coming

Remedial Toe-Dragging

Probability, Statistics, and How They Relate to Wrap-arounds Attempts

Wealth, Success, and other Inverse Relationships

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

The also offer the course - Clarkaround 201 - the art of stubborn repetitiveness in spite of the odds.

And though alcohol is legal on campus for those old enough to drink it, fvcking with water bottles is grounds for immediate expulsion.

A bit busy lately so I only have last weeks AHL updates over at AATJ (formerly ILWT). Here's last night's action though:

AHL 3/22
Albany defeated Springfield 4-1. Burlon, Johnson, O'Brien, and Lorito had the goals. Thompson and O'Neill had 2 assists each followed by Hrabarenka, Hughes, Novak, and McPherson with 1 each. Lorito had 4 shots as the Devils outshot the Falcons 31-18. Danis made 17 saves. Albany went 0/1 on the PP and 3/3 on the PK. Here is the gamesheet.

Line Up:
Lorito-O'Neill-Thompson
Pietila-O'Brien-Novak
Leblond-Pelley-Thomson
Hughes-Johnson

Gragnani-Scarlett
Geiger-Hrabarenka
Burlon-McPherson
Faust

Notes:
-- Albany signed F Gunnar Hughes to a try-out. The 23 year old had 11 goals and 9 assists in 58 games with Adirondack as a rookie. Prior to this season he spent 4 years at St. Lawrence University where he had 28 goals and 45 assists in 143 games. Albany is a bit short staffed right now due to injuries and call ups.
-- Current injury situation: Blake Coleman (left shoulder), Dan Kelly (lower body), Graham Black (sinus infection) and Chris McKelvie (upper body). Ryan Kujawinski and Nick Lappin were both injured in Sunday's game.
-- Jim O'Brien has 6 goals and 6 assists over his last 7 games.

Lorito - Blandisi - Sislo
Boucher - O'Brien - Thompson
Zacha - O'Neill - Lappin
Pietila- Pelley - Quenneville
Kujawinski, Pietila, Black

Helgeson - Severson
Burlon - Jacobs
Gragnani - Mozik

Scarlett, Hrabarenka, Kelly

Wedgewood, Appleby

Albany may win it all this year if they can run with a team like this in the playoffs. I can't find spots to place impact players like Quenneville and Jacobs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The plan is for Devils prospect Pavel Zacha to also join Albany for the playoffs. Zacha, the sixth overall pick in the 2015 NHL entry draft, just wrapped up his junior season with Sarnia of the Ontario Hockey League. 

Hynes said the Devils considered bringing Zacha to Newark for the end of the season, but ultimately decided it was best for him to join Albany for the playoffs. 

The AHL postseason begin later this month. Albany has clinched a playoff spot.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/sislo-zacha-to-join-albany-for-playoffs-1.1540521

Anyone know anything about Andy Vasquez

Nothing except he was the Record's beat reporter for the Nets. My guess is that he'll be an interim guy. Hopefully there's someone that's a little more well versed in the sport come close to draft time, and who isn't just writing down quotes.

So the A Devs start their Calder Cup push tonight. They are playing the Utica Comets in the first round. 

ALBANY, NY – Finding similarities between the Albany Devils and the Utica Comets isn’t hard to accomplish. Not only do they share real estate in upstate New York, but they’ve been neighbors in the North Division standings for the majority of the season. Both teams are well coached, structurally sound and have proven their roster depth at different times this season.

Albany is making its second playoff appearance in the last three seasons and Utica returns to the postseason after reaching the Calder Cup Final a year ago.

The Devils 6-0-2-0 record against the Comets this season is a bit misleading. Four of their eight meetings ended in overtime and five were one-goal games.

“If you really look at it every game has been tight,” said Head Coach Rick Kowalsky. “They’ve had a lot of injuries, call ups this year as well. We’ve seen all kinds of different lineups from them. Every game we’ve played against them the last couple of years has been tight, has been intense. Both teams play with structure and are solid defensively. I think that all goes out the window. If anything we should have confidence in our game, but for the most part, they are a good hockey team and well coached. It’s going to be a battle.

Here is the schedule:

22     Fri     Utica     7:00 PM     
23     Sat     Utica     5:00 PM    
26     Tue     at Utica     7:00 PM 
28*     Thu     at Utica     7:00 PM     
30*     Sat     Utica     5:00 PM

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9