Hockey should be 4 on 4 the whole game

roomtemp

Gimicking up the game to get to the point that we're talking about 4-4 for the whole game even if it's just in the vein of a model proposal is the last thing the sport needs.

And I don't really even care to go back to the live puck era, where even marginal talents could consistently put up 60 points a year. And low scoring doesn't mean low excitement as long as there are enough scoring chances, which I think there are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And I don't really even care to go back to the live puck era, where even marginal talents could consistently put up 60 points a year. And low scoring doesn't mean low excitement as long as there are enough scoring chances, which I think there are.

More exciting or not, better or not, let's not forget that the NHL's TV ratings and attendance has grown steadily since the 03-04 lockout, culminating in 2013, with NBCSN getting the NHL's best regular season TV ratings in 20 years. Pre-lockout, there were about 14 teams averaging 17,000+ fans per game. This grew just about every year post-lockout, up to the present where we have 18-19 teams averaging 17k+ per game.

4 v 4 would fvck up penalties royally. The 5 on 3 is a huge part of the game, for good reason. It's fvcking exciting, and a reward for discipline (or a penalty for lack thereof). Also, we have enough goals. We're past the trap heavy dead puck era, and the game, purely in terms of aesthetics, is, imo, as good as it's been in my lifetime. 3v3 ot makes sense, because too many games are being decided in the skills competition. We don't need to butcher the first 60 minutes to solve that problem.

Wider rink just means shots from further away and more passive defense.

The NHL should think about moving the blue lines closer. Shots wil come from closer to the goalie, more room for players to skate int the neutral zone, and more odd man rushes.

There I said it. 4 on 4 play would open up the ice and increase scoring to an acceptable level. Its alot more fun to watch aswell. 5 on 5 is too cluttered and 3 on 3 has fewer offensive options.

Let's take a complex and intriguing game that takes 20 talented players with deep understanding of their teammates, system, and the game of hockey to succeed at, and turn it into a gimmicky side show for morons who can't find entertainment in a game ending 2-0.

This is what the constant rule changes we're subjected to every year for the sake of greater offense leads to. Dumber and dumber and dumber ideas. What other league is changing rules every year to try to change the nature of the game? Hockey is a fast and exciting sport, and we don't need games with double digit goals every night to make it watchable or appealing to the casual fan.

Get rid of the trapezoid, get rid of the shootout, and let's see the game at the highest level played the way it's meant to be played. The only change I'd be Ok with to increase scoring would be making goalie equipment smaller.

There I said it. 4 on 4 play would open up the ice and increase scoring to an acceptable level. Its alot more fun to watch aswell. 5 on 5 is too cluttered and 3 on 3 has fewer offensive options.

Essentially what you're trying to do is to create more .room for plays, right? The Europeans have already done that by playing on a larger ice surface. I think altering the size of the ice surface is a more "moderate" change than changing the core of the way the game is played. IMO, I would be against anything like changing the very structure of the game,

Wider rink would mess up almost all the arenas.

The sport is fine the way it is, people are just knit picking. I mean 4 on 4 for the whole game....cmon people.

How much effort would it really take to change? I'm not disputing your assertion, I honestly don't really know. It seems like the number of seats would go down (obviously) but I, not sure a new layout would be that difficult, would it? After all, many arenas can change from hockey to b-ball on different days! Talk about different layouts......

How much effort would it really take to change? I'm not disputing your assertion, I honestly don't really know. It seems like the number of seats would go down (obviously) but I, not sure a new layout would be that difficult, would it? After all, many arenas can change from hockey to b-ball on different days! Talk about different layouts......

It would be insanely difficult for most arenas as they are not designed for that. Owners and the League would also lose billions of dollars from the loss of prime seats.

The rinks aren't designed that way, so you'd probably have to redesign every rink.  731 is right about big ice - the scoring area stays the same size, so it really doesn't help.

The rinks aren't designed that way, so you'd probably have to redesign every rink.  731 is right about big ice - the scoring area stays the same size, so it really doesn't help.

If you have ever played on Olympic ice then you would know that it does not lead to more offense.

If anything smaller rinks led to more entertaining games (though not sure if more goals) but back in the day games at Boston Garden, Chicago Stadium, and the Aud were a lot of fun. Lots of hitting but also lots of scoring chances

The only way we're really going to increase scoring is bigger nets and continuing to chip away at goalie gear. That's it...they've tried everything. Defense is too good, goalies are good (and huge) shot blocking, sticks in lanes, and obstruction reign supreme