Streaming Devils' Games

peteyvegas51

I've noticed that some of you fellow NJ Devs fans mention "streaming" the games on your computer.  Well, I've finally had it with Cablevision and will be dropping the phone and reducing my TV to broadcast basic (the lowest of the low).  Since I'm one of the old codgers in this group, do any of you know how I can get the games?  I've signed up for Netflix and Hulu but I see there's no sports.  I only watch hockey and a little golf, so it wont be missed.  How can I get the games in the future?

Your best shot is probably signing up for GameCenter, but it's pricey and sometimes a minute or five behind the actual play.

There's free, not-entirely-legal type streams available at places like Justin.tv, but with all of the pop-ups and clickbait links that seems legit but aren't, it's almost not worth it unless you're desperate to see it, and the streams usually aren't great quality.

Sites like http://www.atdhe.cc/hockey and http://www.stream2watch.me/sports/hockey make streaming for free totally worth it imo. Sure you click out of some ads when you first load a stream, but once you X them off, they stay away for the whole game. Plus if you run Adblock/Adblock Plus (make sure to deactivate on NJDevs) you won't have to worry much about pop-up ads anywhere on the web. 

Gamecenter is great for HD viewing but if you live in-market, you will NOT be able to watch Devils games on it.

I personally like http://livetv.sx (use http://livetv.sx/en for the English version) -- there are usually 3 or 4 fairly good quality streams for each game.  

As Neb00rs said, you just have to be careful not to click on some of the ads because they can potentially bring some unwanted spyware, but it's generally safe and more of a nuisance than anything else, but well worth dealing with the small inconvenience, especially when they do stay away after you close them out the first time.

For more tech-savvy individuals, its possible to stream full HD (better than HD really since there is no compression) games using VLC. See more at reddit.com/r/nhlstreams

Seconding this. Its really the best option there is. It takes a little "work" to set up, but its not hard at all and once its set, its set. You can literally watch any game imaginable in great quality, it basically turns your computer into high quality Center Ice. If you're just wanting to watch quickly, there are a ton of sites like NJDFan1711 and neboors mentioned (FirstRowSports etc), but if quality matters, the Reddit way is the way to do it.

Seconding this. Its really the best option there is. It takes a little "work" to set up, but its not hard at all and once its set, its set. You can literally watch any game imaginable in great quality, it basically turns your computer into high quality Center Ice. If you're just wanting to watch quickly, there are a ton of sites like NJDFan1711 and neboors mentioned (FirstRowSports etc), but if quality matters, the Reddit way is the way to do it.

For more tech-savvy individuals, its possible to stream full HD (better than HD really since there is no compression) games using VLC. See more at reddit.com/r/nhlstreams

I am tech-savvy, or so I thought (I have worked in IT as a Sys/Network admin for the last 10 years), and I did not know about this....but I am definitely doing it now lol.  If it's as good as you say it is, which it seems to be, thank you! :)

Sites like http://www.atdhe.cc/hockey and http://www.stream2watch.me/sports/hockey make streaming for free totally worth it imo. Sure you click out of some ads when you first load a stream, but once you X them off, they stay away for the whole game. Plus if you run Adblock/Adblock Plus (make sure to deactivate on NJDevs) you won't have to worry much about pop-up ads anywhere on the web.

Gamecenter is great for HD viewing but if you live in-market, you will NOT be able to watch Devils games on it.

Installing Adblock makes these sites much more user friendly.

Since we are talking about grey area already, i'm gonna share my experience with a "pirate IPTV" 

First of the cons, well since is pirate thing you can't complain about the service, some channels will go up an down, the image quality is not gonna be HD it wil be btw SD and HD, there is ocassional freezing.

The good thing, is you get access to channels outside the USA, like TSN, Eurosports,sky sports etc.. and that for a price that will be $108 a year, Will be since the service i benn using is doing a free trial..

Heres is the link  for more info: 

http://ftazeta.com/iptv-only-general-discussions/

This is not true if you get a $3 per month proxy service. I use Roku to watch the Devils with GCL and yes I live in the viewing area. Best thing I ever did was drop CI.

Edited by hystyk28

So far I haven't been able to get any of the "HD" methods of streaming games to work.  On my Android phone the GC app just says "Upgrade" despite being able to log in to it without any username and password.  It seems some others are having this issue lately too.  

With VLC streams I have the 64-bit version which fixed the app crashing problem I initially ran into, but now VLC doesn't even open -- the LazyMan app just says "opening in 3 seconds" and then freezes without VLC opening.  

With the Python script, initially it would also open VLC but nothing would happen in it, no videos would play -- now no matter what stream or game I choose, it says there's an access error and that the port is in use, despite nothing listening on port 80 and even rebooting.  

Unfortunately these methods seem unreliable, and even when I looked at some of the links, one or two were HD, but most of the others were SD, and most of them were the ones I've been using/seeing from other sites anyway.  It was nice in theory, but I'll probably just stick with the webstreams -- they load in mere seconds and with some safe browsing habits or AdBlock it's almost hassle free.

This is not true if you get a $3 per month proxy service. I use Roku to watch the Devils with GCL and yes I live in the viewing area. Best thing I ever did was drop CI.

Would you mind elaborating on the proxy service?  How do you go about acquiring one of these?

So a Penguins fan buddy of mine just turned me on to something called Ragecenter. It's somewhere in between sites like First Row Sports and the actual Gamecenter product in terms of stream quality, but it has both home and away feeds. I haven't had a chance to use it for a Devils game yet, but it looks promising. It's invite only, and I have three invites to it; if anybody is interested in giving it a shot as an alternative to everything else mentioned here, let me know

So a Penguins fan buddy of mine just turned me on to something called Ragecenter. It's somewhere in between sites like First Row Sports and the actual Gamecenter product in terms of stream quality, but it has both home and away feeds. I haven't had a chance to use it for a Devils game yet, but it looks promising. It's invite only, and I have three invites to it; if anybody is interested in giving it a shot as an alternative to everything else mentioned here, let me know

its a site or an app?

So far I haven't been able to get any of the "HD" methods of streaming games to work.  On my Android phone the GC app just says "Upgrade" despite being able to log in to it without any username and password.  It seems some others are having this issue lately too.  

With VLC streams I have the 64-bit version which fixed the app crashing problem I initially ran into, but now VLC doesn't even open -- the LazyMan app just says "opening in 3 seconds" and then freezes without VLC opening.  

With the Python script, initially it would also open VLC but nothing would happen in it, no videos would play -- now no matter what stream or game I choose, it says there's an access error and that the port is in use, despite nothing listening on port 80 and even rebooting.  

Unfortunately these methods seem unreliable, and even when I looked at some of the links, one or two were HD, but most of the others were SD, and most of them were the ones I've been using/seeing from other sites anyway.  It was nice in theory, but I'll probably just stick with the webstreams -- they load in mere seconds and with some safe browsing habits or AdBlock it's almost hassle free.

stevensnjd4, creator of lazyman here. sounds like you didn't set your vlc path correctly. shoot me a pm if you need add'l help,

RSC, 

The feeds worked great tonight. My only question - and maybe someone can help me out with this - is getting them streaming over AirPlay/MIrroring to an appletv from an iPhone or iPad. Had a tough time getting it to 1. consistently work at all or stream. I was using Safari and VLC apps. Any clues?

Worked great on my laptop by the way, and if I mirrored my laptop - that worked fine. But using iOS from iPhone/iPad was where I ran into airplay issues.

Glad it worked, HOI! I actually didn't have to use it yesterday because the game was on NHL Network :lol:

I don't know about streaming, but see if there's anything on the subreddit, reddit.com/r/ragecenter

I'm at work so I can't get to reddit, otherwise I'd look!

stevensnjd4, creator of lazyman here. sounds like you didn't set your vlc path correctly. shoot me a pm if you need add'l help,

Hmm, possibly. I know I changed it in the Python method because originally it was set to x86 and after I removed it and installed the 64-bit version Python bombs and tells you the path is incorrect.

I'll try it out tonight and let you know.  Thanks for replying, really appreciated.

Also, thanks to RSC for the PM. I also tried it and ti worked great, however I am wondering if the feed was great quality only becasue the game was on NHL Network.  Curious to see if it holds up other nights when the game is found on local broadcasts only.  Either way, it was great, and even though I actually couldn't get it to work on VLC on my phone (Galaxy Note 4), it worked just fine right inside the Chrome browser.  I actually prefer it that way, very simple and easy to use.