Who will be the Devils' next captain?

thecoffeecake

I really don't care who the next captain in terms of captain-esque qualities that people think are important. For all intents and purposes, Bryce was probably an excellent captain, just not an excellent player...not close to it. But he got the added pressure and vitriol because he was not playing well.

By all accounts Bryce is/was a good leader, although no one here is ever going to know for sure. The problem with giving him the 'C' is that you can't bench your captain without causing a controversy. While I really didn't mind him in the captaincy role, it hurt this team that he had a defacto roster spot every night that he was physically able to skate.

For this reason, I think I'd prefer a forward carry this burden. If it came to it, you can hide a bad captain on the 4th line a lot easier then your defensive pairings.

I don't know if I'm misinterpreting sarcasm here (and if I am, disregard this reply), but what, exactly, will the Devils be competing for next year with just "a couple moves"?

He's a Lou guy for sure, and I was only being partially sarcastic (unfortunately).  I could absolutely see him getting the "C" next year.. horrifying thought.

I don't know if I'm misinterpreting sarcasm here (and if I am, disregard this reply), but what, exactly, will the Devils be competing for next year with just "a couple moves"?

He's a Lou guy for sure, and I was only being partially sarcastic (unfortunately).  I could absolutely see him getting the "C" next year.. horrifying thought.

not sure what we would be competing for next year, personally i don't think much at all maybe the 8-10th seed.

Others seem to think we're not that far off.

If Elias doesn't want a one year captaincy as a thank you I'd pick Andy Greene

Elias will never wear the "C" again....

I think Greene is the logical choice; I wouldn't be upset with Henny or Zajac getting it.   But I think Andy is the frontrunner by a good margine at this point.

Elias will never wear the "C" again....

I think Greene is the logical choice; I wouldn't be upset with Henny or Zajac getting it.   But I think Andy is the frontrunner by a good margine at this point.

Elias has played in 60 games, scored only 10 goals, and gets paid $5.5 million a year. On top of that, he complains about his "diminishing role".  If he receives the 'C' then Lou needs to get his head examined.  

Elias has played in 60 games, scored only 10 goals, and gets paid $5.5 million a year. On top of that, he complains about his "diminishing role".  If he receives the 'C' then Lou needs to get his head examined.  

I would be pissed too if I played on the same line as Gionta and Zubrus.

I actually feel like I got the "C" after watching this season. 

But seriously, I don't think any of us are really in a position to say who should have it. A good portion of what makes a guy a captain happens behind doors that we don't see behind. Its not all based on who the best player is. 

Obviously, because we had Bryce fvcking Salvador as our captain.

On the flip side, use it for any free agent that we really want that might be on the fence about signing with us, "We'll let you be Captain!"

Edited by mfitz804

I actually feel like I got the "C" after watching this season. 

No but seriously, can any fans who attended/watched the majority of the games this year be named honorary captains for a game next season?  Because it's taken some serious dedication to stay up on the Devils this season.

I see what you did there. Now you're going to piss off the real fans that stand behind this team in solidarity. We're just a couple moves away from competing next year. 

sure. But the moves would have to be winning the draft, picking Mcdavid. trading Clowe for Stsamkos, Gionta for Corey Perry and Matteau for Tyler Seguin.

sure. But the moves would have to be winning the draft, picking Mcdavid. trading Clowe for Stsamkos, Gionta for Corey Perry and Matteau for Tyler Seguin.

Well when they say competing do they mean for the Cup or just a playoff spot. Cause I can see within reason the Devils next year being in the hunt for a playoff spot with the goaltending being what it should be and the young defense taking that next step in development plus some shrewd moves at forward.