Traveling to Florida

thelastonealive

M

So, I finally decided to start my vaguely-planned-for-years goal of reaching all 30 NHL cities at some point in my life this season, and will be leaving to visit Tampa and Sunrise for the final two games of this (wretched) season.

I know there's a handful of posters here who live in the area and/or visit the arenas down there regularly, and I was just wondering if you could give me some tips on each place? When doors open, must-see attractions at the arenas, places to eat? My friend wishes to try to get autographs, is there anywhere in particular to try to wait to meet players pre/post game? Anything I should know about either place?

We're spending a day in Tampa, a day in Orlando (Universal Studios/Harry Potter world), a day in Sunrise, and then another day back in Orlando before heading home. Any suggestions for things to do/places to go/etc would be much appreciated. If anyone's going to be at either game, I would love to meet up for a beer or something as well!

Visited Sunrise back in November. It's my favorite arena of the ones I've been to! You wouldn't think it's old with all the nice fixtures around and the amazing (new) scoreboard. Only downside to that arena was the food, it's boring and ordinary. Though you'll be blown away with the amount of hard liquor they're selling everywhere.

Pre-game, we ate like kings at this amazing Cuban place - Don Carlin located 11447 W Oakland Park Blvd, Sunrise, FL 33323. Dude, if you don't have Cuban while you're there you are wasting a great opportunity. At this place, I recommend the Pork Tamale appetizer, Ropa Vieja, and the Vaca Frita. They also give you warm garlic bread when you sit down. Everyone else eating there spoke Cuban so you know it's good. And the place is like 5 minutes from the arena!

We tried to hit South Beach but it was Halloween so the place was mobbed. Couldn't get a parking spot for under $30 so we bagged it. I just loved driving around though! So many hot chicks  :thumbsup:

Other than that, we stayed in a hostel/motel in Hollywood and the beach there was fantastic. Free beach, nice shops and restaurants along the beach, and the water was nice. Definitely go for a swim while there.

And yeah park at the mall. We parked there and walked over for free. The mall is ridiculously huuuge and we had trouble even finding an entrance, but it was fun to walk through for a bit.

I saw 4 people in Devils jerseys while I was there and it was a Flyers game, so I'm sure you'll meet a bunch of our fans and chat.

Edited by Colin226

Visited Sunrise back in November. It's my favorite arena of the ones I've been to! You wouldn't think it's old with all the nice fixtures around and the amazing (new) scoreboard. Only downside to that arena was the food, it's boring and ordinary. Though you'll be blown away with the amount of hard liquor they're selling everywhere.

Pre-game, we ate like kings at this amazing Cuban place - Don Carlin located 11447 W Oakland Park Blvd, Sunrise, FL 33323. Dude, if you don't have Cuban while you're there you are wasting a great opportunity. At this place, I recommend the Pork Tamale appetizer, Ropa Vieja, and the Vaca Frita. They also give you warm garlic bread when you sit down. Everyone else eating there spoke Cuban so you know it's good. And the place is like 5 minutes from the arena!

We tried to hit South Beach but it was Halloween so the place was mobbed. Couldn't get a parking spot for under $30 so we bagged it. I just loved driving around though! So many hot chicks  :thumbsup:

Other than that, we stayed in a hostel/motel in Hollywood and the beach there was fantastic. Free beach, nice shops and restaurants along the beach, and the water was nice. Definitely go for a swim while there.

A hostel?  Were you thinking you were in Europe?!  Americans don't do hostels! lol

Edited by DevsMan84

A hostel?  Were you thinking you were in Europe?!  Americans don't do hostels! lol

lol well we stayed in the motel part of the hostel because it was actually cheaper for 2 people in one room than 2 beds in the hostel portion. But yeah for my hockey trips, I stayed at hostels in Ottawa, Boston, and Washington DC. Saves you lots of money in a city if you don't mind sleeping with random strangers! I just get liquored up and wear earplugs to sleep through the night lol.

You guys are awesome, I'll reply individually when I'm on my computer, but those all sound like great suggestions. I didn't think to park at the mall and bought a parking pass on stubhub. It was only 8 bucks though so no big deal.

Marty - im also row 3 in a corner in Tampa, so I guess one in four chance we'll be sitting near each other lol.

I'll post more as the trip goes on, and as I get to a computer again. Thanks again for the suggestions, and keep em coming!

I'm in Orlando but it sounds like you already know what you're doing while you're here.

If you're staying by Universal Studios and you have some time at night go to International Drive. It's pretty close and there's lots to do. Lots of good restaurants and bars. They have a really cool ice bar. Way more extravagant than the one at the Rock.

I live downtown Orlando and don't really get out there too often but it's a pretty fun area.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Just to throw out a couple of ideas, as I was just in Sunrise/Ft Lauderdale last week visiting a friend- At sawgrass mill, there's a place called Zin Burger that is phenomenal, we went there after the Panthers/Lightning game this past Saturday and it was perfect. Only took about 10 minutes to get from the arena to there. If you have time and can get to Hollywood, we found a great taco place on the beach, called Taco Beach Shack (original name, I know).Best fish/shrimp tacos I've ever had. 

Also, totally agree with Colin about the Devils fans- there were three people  (not including myself) that I noticed wearing Devils gear at a Panthers/Lightning game. 

From the Sunrise area, it is a lot easier to get to downtown Ft. Lauderdale than it is Miami or South Beach.  Try to his up Las Olas Blvd for some night life and a bunch of good restaurants.  Rock Burger by the science museum is a favorite for something casual and delicious.

M

So, I finally decided to start my vaguely-planned-for-years goal of reaching all 30 NHL cities at some point in my life this season, and will be leaving to visit Tampa and Sunrise for the final two games of this (wretched) season.

I know there's a handful of posters here who live in the area and/or visit the arenas down there regularly, and I was just wondering if you could give me some tips on each place? When doors open, must-see attractions at the arenas, places to eat? My friend wishes to try to get autographs, is there anywhere in particular to try to wait to meet players pre/post game? Anything I should know about either place?

We're spending a day in Tampa, a day in Orlando (Universal Studios/Harry Potter world), a day in Sunrise, and then another day back in Orlando before heading home. Any suggestions for things to do/places to go/etc would be much appreciated. If anyone's going to be at either game, I would love to meet up for a beer or something as well!

Given the weather here in New Jersey, if I were you I'd spend the day at Fort Lauderdale on the beach and Las Olas Boulevard. Fort Lauderdale is no more than 20-25 minutes from Sunrise. Miami's more like 50, sometimes more than an hour with traffic. (And in my opinion Fort Lauderdale > Miami in a big way but that's just me).

And of course later in the afternoon/evening, head back to Sunrise for some Cuban (food's cheaper there than Fort Lauderdale) and the game! :)

Edited by DJ Eco

Just got to the hotel...I had forgotten what warmth and sunlight are like. I rather like it.

I'm not sure what kind of time we'll have in Sunrise since we'll be driving from Orlando that day; odds are we'll pop into that ma for lunch then hang around until doors open.

If anyone's at the game tonight, my friend and I will be down by the glass for warmups. Hope to see some of you there!

I want to watch warmups, I actually love it, BUT...I don't get off work til 5 and I have to stop at my brother's to change, and traffic has been a nightmare during rush hour lately coming up the interstate, so I probably won't even get in the building til about 7 or 715.  Otherwise I'd love to chat for a few minutes with anyone from this board who is going to be there.

Either way, I'll be sure to try to check this thread or the GDT to see if someone wants to say hello.  Might be nice to put a face to a name especially for next season when we can all (hopefully) have something positive to talk about and watch.

Oh and on topic, it sounds like you have already found some cool things to do in each place.  Regarding hotels, I usually find that teams, the Devils included, stay at the Marriott.  As others have mentioned it's walking distance to the arena and you can almost always catch a player or too.  When I was younger I used to go out back (near the trolley tracks) and you could just sit outside a steel barricade by the players parking lots and watch them drive or walk by to get a few autographs.  

Oh and before I forget, I actually plan to head to the Bud Light party deck after the game to buy my buddy who is getting my the tickets tonight a drink as a thank you -- if you haven't been up there it's awesome.  Not too muggy yet this time of year so it should be a great time to look out at the city and enjoy some music and drinks.  I believe they're still $2 drafts which is nice.