John Hynes of Pens AHL team expected to be Next coach.

RunninWithTheDevil

You posted while I was writing so don't think any of the above was directed at this post at all.  I agree with you!  Except the Rangers are always boring or sickening so I can't enjoy the game any how  :P

I'd love to "ruin the game" some more if it means we get 3 more Cups out of it. Winning's never boring! Ask Rangers fans right now.

Every article that comes out and calls the Rangers boring, the commenters sound like 1995-2005 Devils fans, it's hysterical. Same talking points, same everything.

This is actually quite a revealing time on this board.

You can see quite clearly who likes what I'll call Devils hockey - which I consider consistent hockey throughout the ages unaffected by trends of the times.

You can see who didn't really know what they were watching. You can see now that all their years of hockey talk actually boil down to their pretty much just trying to second guess what Lou would do next - not really seeing the WHY he might do it or why he did do something.

You can see who kind of bandwagoned onto to the team - yet still felt great loyalty and stuck with the organization despite it not representing a product they liked at ALL. The winning was cool but they didn't actually enjoy the hockey. hmm.

You can see who reeeally doesn't know sh!te from shinola about hockey and has been trying to figure it out all this time latching on to a winning team and trying to figure it all out from there. Sort of a "these guys are winning and they make me admire them - there is strength and I'm going to sit here and watch and try to figure it all out."

Many people are quite lost...  they have no clue why they did or did not like Lou or in fact the Devils.  You can tell by what and how you all are writing. 

I enjoy the people trying to see how to get Devils hockey back in play.  They reference decent teams and look for HOCKEY options. Maybe they came to the team for any one of the reasons above but they've come out the other side KNOWING.  They found hockey.  Which is ...  :wub:  its the best ever...  My nephew is finding hockey playing and that's adorable  not sure he likes it...but I thinkhe does.  He's a  scaredy cat -- but as he grows I see he's just a big thinker -- I hope he starts to enjoy the game <3

there's nothing wrong with preferring a certain style of play. obviously whatever results in a cup is ideal, but if we could choose a style to watch, then to each his own.

something like this does not determine who's a "true fan" or not

• Like 1

there's nothing wrong with preferring a certain style of play. obviously whatever results in a cup is ideal, but if we could choose a style to watch, then to each his own.

something like this does not determine who's a "true fan" or not

Exactly. I don't know why so many people on here love Lou more than the team itself. There will be Devils hockey after Lou is gone. Are you people going to abandon the team because he's not in charge anymore (even though I know a couple of you have made this blanket statement already)?

The 86 Giants are nothing like the 2007 Giants. Times change, the team changed, and the philosophy changed. But they're still the Giants and they still found a way to win.

Now suddenly I have people telling me I'm not a true Devils fan because I'd like to see a more upbeat style of play? I'll love and support this team no matter how they play, who's in charge, and who's on the team. This franchise is going through it's first major face lift in almost 30 years. Now is the time to make these kinds of changes.

This is actually quite a revealing time on this board.

You can see quite clearly who likes what I'll call Devils hockey - which I consider consistent hockey throughout the ages unaffected by trends of the times.

You can see who didn't really know what they were watching. You can see now that all their years of hockey talk actually boil down to their pretty much just trying to second guess what Lou would do next - not really seeing the WHY he might do it or why he did do something.

You can see who kind of bandwagoned onto to the team - yet still felt great loyalty and stuck with the organization despite it not representing a product they liked at ALL. The winning was cool but they didn't actually enjoy the hockey. hmm.

You can see who reeeally doesn't know sh!te from shinola about hockey and has been trying to figure it out all this time latching on to a winning team and trying to figure it all out from there. Sort of a "these guys are winning and they make me admire them - there is strength and I'm going to sit here and watch and try to figure it all out."

Many people are quite lost...  they have no clue why they did or did not like Lou or in fact the Devils.  You can tell by what and how you all are writing. 

I enjoy the people trying to see how to get Devils hockey back in play.  They reference decent teams and look for HOCKEY options. Maybe they came to the team for any one of the reasons above but they've come out the other side KNOWING.  They found hockey.  Which is ...  :wub:  its the best ever...  My nephew is finding hockey playing and that's adorable  not sure he likes it...but I thinkhe does.  He's a  scaredy cat -- but as he grows I see he's just a big thinker -- I hope he starts to enjoy the game <3

First bolded isn't really accurate, as far as Lou's era goes...Lou's era can really be divided into sub-eras.  The first part (prior to Jacques Lemaire, through the end of the '92-'93 season) was Lou collecting and dealing pieces and having some very good talent, but not really sure how to turn it into a consistently winning hockey team, or what the team identity should be.  That changed when Lemaire was hired, and when Brodeur joined the team.  Lemaire provided the blueprint, Brodeur the continuity and the face. 

Though many (even some Devils fans who really should know better) insist that the Devils were winning 2-1 trap-driven borefests every night, we all know that wasn't really true...at least, not nearly to the extent that so many from the media and other teams' fanbases wanted to believe.  In the middle part of Lou's era (say '94-'03), there were actually some terrific Devil teams that could do it all:  play top-notch defense AND put pucks in the net, and some of those teams were - gasp! - quite easy on the eyes and exciting.  The 2000 and 2001 squads were a blast to watch.  And even the Devils teams that weren't scoring as much weren't nearly as boring as made out to be.  It's one of those things where enough people said it that it just became accepted as gospel, regardless of what was happening on the ice. 

The 2004+ phase of Lou's tenure could be rough at times...many of those teams seemed to have to claw for every point and every win, and at times could just be so ugly to watch...felt like a number of those teams overachieved, only to turn into the two-steps-slower, easily-overwhelmed Devils come playoff time.  Marty did his best work during this time, though that doesn't always get noticed.  Sure, the fact that the Devils were still finding ways to put up 100-point seasons with what seemed to be smoke and mirrors was great, but those teams were not always easy or enjoyable watches, and sometimes looked completely out-of-sync...sometimes it felt like they were winning in spite of themselves.  I do think most fans appreciated what Lou did and how he did it for as long as he did, though those who didn't definitely spoke with loud voices.   

The second bolded:  be careful with that one.  You're not exactly renowned for coherent and cohesive articulation.  You shouldn't be judging anyone. 

On topic:  it's so quiet in Devil-land...I get the feeling the coach is going to be a "wha, who, huh?" kind of choice. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

First bolded isn't really accurate, as far as Lou's era goes...Lou's era can really be divided into sub-eras.  The first part (prior to Jacques Lemaire, through the end of the '92-'93 season) was Lou collecting and dealing pieces and having some very good talent, but not really sure how to turn it into a consistently winning hockey team, or what the team identity should be.  That changed when Lemaire was hired, and when Brodeur joined the team.  Lemaire provided the blueprint, Brodeur the continuity and the face. 

Though many (even some Devils fans who really should know better) insist that the Devils were winning 2-1 trap-driven borefests every night, we all know that wasn't really true...at least, not nearly to the extent that so many from the media and other teams' fanbases wanted to believe.  In the middle part of Lou's era (say '94-'03), there were actually some terrific Devil teams that could do it all:  play top-notch defense AND put pucks in the net, and some of those teams were - gasp! - quite easy on the eyes and exciting.  The 2000 and 2001 squads were a blast to watch.  And even the Devils teams that weren't scoring as much weren't nearly as boring as made out to be.  It's one of those things where enough people said it that it just became accepted as gospel, regardless of what was happening on the ice. 

The 2004+ phase of Lou's tenure could be rough at times...many of those teams seemed to have to claw for every point and every win, and at times could just be so ugly to watch...felt like a number of those teams overachieved, only to turn into the two-steps-slower, easily-overwhelmed Devils come playoff time.  Marty did his best work during this time, though that doesn't always get noticed.  Sure, the fact that the Devils were still finding ways to put up 100-point seasons with what seemed to be smoke and mirrors was great, but those teams were not always easy or enjoyable watches, and sometimes looked completely out-of-sync...sometimes it felt like they were winning in spite of themselves.  I do think most fans appreciated what Lou did and how he did it for as long as he did, though those who didn't definitely spoke with loud voices.   

The second bolded:  be careful with that one.  You're not exactly renowned for coherent and cohesive articulation.  You shouldn't be judging anyone. 

On topic:  it's so quiet in Devil-land...I get the feeling the coach is going to be a "wha, who, huh?" kind of choice. 

thats what i was thinking.  i feel like the devils are the only team that haven't been mentioned in the coach hiring talk either

True true CR76 -- I don't mean to be calling anyone a true fan or not a true fan.  Not by a long shot.  I knew it might reads that way -- but I'd really be going off making no sense if I didn't draw the line in my ramblings somewhere.

People don't need to get defensive about their taste in hockey. It's just neat the way people now have to really be clear as to what they like and why they like it when they discuss how the team will move forward.  There's no "ANYTHING BUT WHAT LOU SAYS!"  nor is there "ANYTHING LOU WANTS!" 

With Lou out of the equation the need and in fact the ability to second guess how the team will move forward is gone.  It's interesting to see how that has shaded the discussion.

I want Scott Niedermayer to just love the game so much he has to coach.  And then I want him to coach the Devils.

:(  There.... I said it.   He's smart and articulate and wouldn't take the job unless he knew he could succeed.  But he doesn't know that so he never will.  PU$$Y!!!!!!!!!!!  ^&*)$@%^&($@^*()&@$%&(@

I haven't read through the entire thread, so apologies if it's come up already, but...whatever became of Mike Haviland? He was a hot coaching option for a few years, then apparently took over in Hershey and now is at Colorado College. Is there a reason he wasn't able to get anything on the NHL level after leaving the Blackhawks assistant job?

No one has made the jump from NCAA to NHL since Herb Brooks. I'm not sure what Hextall is doing here, there were a lot safer bets he could've made at this point of his very early career as GM, he's really putting himself on the line and I'm not sure the hire makes all that much sense for Philly's roster as it is.

Hextall hired his kid's coach ;) His son plays for him now so Hextall knows him pretty well.

According to Friedman, Babcock has been to St. Louis and is currently in San Jose. He thinks Detroit or Buffalo end up with him. He also says DeBoer and Bylsma have interviewed with San Jose.

Also talking with Buffalo.

@john_wawrow @AP Reports that Mike Babcock is in contract talk with the #Buffalo #Sabres to potentially become next head coach

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-the-last-days-of-babwatch/

16. By now, we’ve all handicapped this horserace.

I see Detroit and Buffalo as serious contenders; can’t imagine he wants to go through a total rebuild in Toronto unless the offer is ridiculous; and would be surprised if it was San Jose, especially after reports Babcock “initiated discussions” with the Sharks.

That leaves two wild cards. The first is he takes a year off because he doesn’t like any of the options (unlikely, but I always like to be prepared for the “surprise option.”) The second is St. Louis.

17. There have been several reports Ken Hitchcock will return with a new contract, but we now know the Blues have spoken to Babcock.

18. It’s a pretty eclectic group chasing the San Jose job.

As of last weekend, the Sharks were the only team that’s asked for permission to speak to Randy Carlyle and Doug Wilson’s old defence partner (Anaheim GM Bob Murray) would give a good recommendation. There have been other interviewees with NHL lead experience (Dan Bylsma, Peter DeBoer), some without it (Dave Lowry) and who knows who else.

How much influence will Sharks’ director of player development Larry Robinson have? He coached with DeBoer when the Devils reached the Stanley Cup Final.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Babcock in contract talks with Buffalo??

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=768183&navid=nhl:topheads

I've really surprised to see this, i thought for sure he'd be staying in Detroit.  If he's willing to go to a team like Buffalo, I cannot fathom why NJ hasn't given Babcock a call.. at least just a call! 

unless of course there was a call, or Shero just wanted no part in spending that money

I've really surprised to see this, i thought for sure he'd be staying in Detroit.  If he's willing to go to a team like Buffalo, I cannot fathom why NJ hasn't given Babcock a call.. at least just a call! 

unless of course there was a call, or Shero just wanted no part in spending that money

Look at NJs cupboard compared to Buffalo- Eichel, Risto, E. Kane, Girgensons, Reinhart, Zadorov, etc, etc, etc. NJ has 2 guys (Larsson and Severson) who belong in that tier

Edited by SMantzas

Look at NJs cupboards compared to Buffalo- Eichel, Risto, E. Kane, Girgensons, Reinhart, Zadorov, etc, etc, etc. NJ has 2 guys (Larsson and Severson) and Severson who belong in that tier

JUST A CALL!!! how is he not worth a call

of course its possible there was a call, but we've heard of several teams that have reached out to him, and NJ was not one

I've really surprised to see this, i thought for sure he'd be staying in Detroit. If he's willing to go to a team like Buffalo, I cannot fathom why NJ hasn't given Babcock a call.. at least just a call!

I can see why he'd want Buffalo- it's a rebuild, but they're getting Eichel and are loaded with young talent. Plus Pegula is absolutely loaded and spends money like a drunken sailor, because he can.

JUST A CALL!!! how is he not worth a call

of course its possible there was a call, but we've heard of several teams that have reached out to him, and NJ was not one

Since when do you actually hear about anything the Devils do?  Don't expect that philosophy to change too much even though Lou is no longer the GM.  As long as he's in the building, that place will continue to be run with less leaks than the CIA. 

And, as others have said, why would he come here outside of us ridiculously overpaying to get him?  This team is a long time away from contending again, and we aren't going to be picking a generational talent this June.  It makes no sense for him. 

We were the biggest longshot out of all of the teams currently looking for coaches in respect to Babcock. Buffalo has a stack of young talent. Where Buffalo really has a leg up is their ownership. Pegula likes to spend. He owns the Bills too. The money is what will bring Babcock to Buffalo more than anything else.

Is Babcock really that good of a coach?  Looking at some of the rosters he has had, it doesn't look like he really had a lot of work cut out for him.

Yes, he is. His NHL teams have missed the playoffs once his entire career. He's had success at virtually every level he's coached at too, from juniors to international. Obviously, hes had good players playing for him, but he must be doing something right to get that kind of consistency. If he does end up at Buffalo, that will be a really interesting test. He's the right guy for that kind of a roster.