John Hynes of Pens AHL team expected to be Next coach.

RunninWithTheDevil

I don't know, the Sabres would be a great challenge. He has the ability to mold that team in his image with young stars. Oh and the money is good too. Detroit is going to lose Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Ericsson and Kronwall at some point sooner rather than later.  

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Babcock did have a meeting with the Devils. NHL.com or the NY Post, I think.

If Buffalo is really offering $50 million or anywhere close to that, I don't see how he can turn that down. He'd send coaching salaries into the stratosphere too.

If Buffalo is really offering $50 million or anywhere close to that, I don't see how he can turn that down. He'd send coaching salaries into the stratosphere too.

Coaches are almost never free agents - there's way more available coaches than there are jobs.  As such, his salary doesn't have a ton of relation to other coach salaries.

The Devils, with this cast of characters, unfortunately need a coach with some "oomph" behind him.  They can't just make a minor leaguer their head coach because his credibility/influence will fall on deaf ears quickly.  Look at DeBoer.  He always catered to the players "with experience" and always cold shouldered players like Larsson and Josefsson.  Why?  Because he may have been affraid of the backlash veteran players like Jagr, Elias, and Salvador would have had.

I can't see the Devils not hiring a coach with experience unless they are willing to jettison players the likes of Elias and Zubrus, who will certainly have a stick-in-the-mud attitude with a young coach that relegates them to 3rd or 4th line minutes.

True, but it would set a new benchmark.

But a benchmark for who?  Who is saying 'Pay me this or I will switch jobs?'  Coaches almost never voluntary quit to go elsewhere.  It's happened - Sutter did it here (although he says he didn't, so who knows).  Some coaches have quit in one place to be a coach/GM elsewhere, but that seldom happens anymore.   Most coaches simply don't last that long in one place to have the freedom to demand a lot.

Coach salaries are going up, but I don't think Babcock will have a huge effect on anyone else.  

@DarrenDreger: Toronto and Buffalo in bidding war for Babcock. No decision yet. Hearing Red Wings final offer was 5 years at $4 million per.

You knew the Leafs would stick their beak in.

i know this isnt happening, but in comical fasion there's always that 1% chance in the back of your head, but how hilarious would it be that we find out, last minute, that Lou swoops in and signs Babcock in the waning hours of negotiations.  You know its not happening, but that would be the most likely way of it happening now, It would be typical Lou hahaha.

or the blues

The Blues have a coach, and it's already been reported by all the big guys that they're out (if they were ever even in). The only two teams left with vacancies are Toronto and us. And we all know he isn't coming here.

SJ is apparently talking to Oates too. Good, get him the hell outta here.

Babcock to the Leafs is done.

@DarrenDreger: Sources say Mike Babcock has been hired by the Maple Leafs. Mammoth 8 yr contract believed to be around $50 mil

wowww. well there we go, nobody can really be surprised.. time to move on from this

now whos ending up in NJ already!

I don't care what you say about Babcock, I still think this doesn't end well. Toronto's Toronto and I don't think they'll be good anytime soon. There's something in the air (and the media) up there and Babcock just made himself target number 1 if (more like, when) things go bad at any point during his tenure.