2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Noted, I take it back then.

But yeah, it brought me back to last season when we were featured on NHL: Revealed. You could tell Lou gave Brodeur full license to be featured and followed, and you could also tell Lou sat on the clipping room floor editing out anything else Devils-related. You could tell it was all him.

It's just hard to appreciate the rules and structure Lou's kept for more than two decades when we're now a losing team. Our organization needs to open itself and endear itself more to local fans now more than ever.

Or, it could be that they decided not to use anything else Devils related because there were no compelling story lines there. 

Or, it could be that the producers decided to disregard the Devils based upon their belief in the general perception throughout the league and the media (rightly or wrongly) that this team has a small and marginalized fanbase, and nobody is interested in it. 

That show was developed for a national audience.  Like it or not, Brodeur was the story and the only thing people in other cities around the NHL had any interest in when it came to the Devils.  He was the name, the draw, and that's why he was featured.  Nobody cares what flavor coffee Zubie the barrista is brewing in his basement.

Or, it could be that they decided not to use anything else Devils related because there were no compelling story lines there. 

Or, it could be that the producers decided to disregard the Devils based upon their belief in the general perception throughout the league and the media (rightly or wrongly) that this team has a small and marginalized fanbase, and nobody is interested in it. 

That show was developed for a national audience.  Like it or not, Brodeur was the story and the only thing people in other cities around the NHL had any interest in when it came to the Devils.  He was the name, the draw, and that's why he was featured.  Nobody cares what flavor coffee Zubie the barrista is brewing in his basement.

Eh I didn't find 10 minutes of watching Marty eating meatballs at an Italian restaurant to be all that compelling either.

Like DM84, it was supremely Martin Brodeur-heavy. I'm sure they blocked a certain portion of the program for a Devils feature and Lou gave them a red light on some of the content.

Jagr alone would've been another compelling storyline, but he only had a few blurbs here and there.

Also, I'll look for the source, but I remember either Gulitti or someone local saying that the TV crew had said that Lou set a lot of restrictions on what could be filmed and requested that they get his permission before proceeding with the episodes. I'll look for that tweet though.

Edited by DJ Eco

The Isles took them to seven and they were hurting. Rangers much better than the Isles. I can't see seven. Rangers took Pittsburgh in 5 Fluery played great and all games were won by 1 point. I think Rangers in 5 or worse case 6.

Did you watch that series? They scratched out one goal wins against a team that was a full step slower and couldn't seem to make the absolute simplest of plays. Maybe they'll be able to bring their game up to what the Caps will offer, a lot of teams will play just well enough to win. I think the biggest mistake people will make is giving Lundqvist a massive edge over Holtby. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but Holtby was an absolute horse all year, and his compete level against the Isles was insane.

Matchups don't work the way you're implying they do. Just because they went 7 against an inferior team doesn't mean much of anything, especially with the competitive balance of the NHL. I think Vancouver would have a way better shot at knocking off Anaheim than Calgary does, but I had the Flames in 5 over Vancouver. It's all about individual matchups. A team that gets knocked out in the first round could very easily make a cup run in a different part of the bracket.

I think it's a close series. I think I'm so biased that even when I try to take an objective look, I subconsciously give the Caps the edge every time. Even in a place outside of my fantasy land where the Rangers do have the edge, it's undeniably a close matchup.

Did you watch that series? They scratched out one goal wins against a team that was a full step slower and couldn't seem to make the absolute simplest of plays. Maybe they'll be able to bring their game up to what the Caps will offer, a lot of teams will play just well enough to win. I think the biggest mistake people will make is giving Lundqvist a massive edge over Holtby. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but Holtby was an absolute horse all year, and his compete level against the Isles was insane.

Matchups don't work the way you're implying they do. Just because they went 7 against an inferior team doesn't mean much of anything, especially with the competitive balance of the NHL. I think Vancouver would have a way better shot at knocking off Anaheim than Calgary does, but I had the Flames in 5 over Vancouver. It's all about individual matchups. A team that gets knocked out in the first round could very easily make a cup run in a different part of the bracket.

I think it's a close series. I think I'm so biased that even when I try to take an objective look, I subconsciously give the Caps the edge every time. Even in a place outside of my fantasy land where the Rangers do have the edge, it's undeniably a close matchup.

This is so accurate in every aspect.

I'm happy. Most Ranger fans aren't because they're little bitches. Callahan, Boyle and Stralman aren't allowed to advance because they might ruin our parade. That was a great game. Really enjoyed the 3rd when I got home. Nice to see Cally set up the winner. Coburn of all people. Stralman with a awesome move and a goal of the year candidate if Stamkos isn't busy wrestling with Sheahan. Even then, Stamkos disallows goals for his own teammates. rofl

I love the match-ups. Montreal and Tampa should be a long 7-game series. The Capitals should push the Rangers 6 or 7. I still think they'll win but it'll be tough minus Zucc. The West also have two fun series. Ducks and Flames. Go Calgary. And Hawks and Wild. 

I did a recap of the Bolts win and made my Conference Semi picks. What are yours?

Bolts advance on Bishop shutout, Round 2 Picks

I think Tampa just got by their toughest test. I didn't think after game 2 they'd make it past that round, but now, considering who's left and their record with them, I think I have them pegged for the Finals.

Edited by DJ Eco

1st off Doc is be far the bext play by play guy, really miss him doing Devils games.  Game last night was alot of fun..  I was shocked to find out tjhat was Coburn's 2nd Game 7 goal...

Agreed.  A lot of Rangers fans don't like him, probably because of his Devils connection.  I love listening to him call a game.  He can turn any word into a synonym for "pass", and always gives a lesson on fractions.  "Kreider with the puck, seven and thirty-eight ninety-fifths of a minute to go in the 3rd....."

Edited by Matteau#32
  • Like 1

I just enjoy his verbs. the other night I was with a friend who didn't know Doc's work (not much of a hockey fan) but I said let's just listened to the verbs. So we did from Knifed, Edged, Lassoed, Tossed, Shoveled, Caromed, Careened, Scorched and so on. It's something else.

He's also a great dude. When I got to work with him in Torino in 2006, just a lovely guy all around. So was PIerre, despite the crap he gets.

I'm happy. Most Ranger fans aren't because they're little bitches. Callahan, Boyle and Stralman aren't allowed to advance because they might ruin our parade.

That's too funny.

That's how I feel of every player that willingly leaves the Devs!