2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Last time Ovie was tired I believe it was revealed he was nursing an injury. I think he looks alright...better than the last time he played NYR in the playoffs but not quite his dominating self.

Was the ice really bad, or am I just imagining things?

Seems like neither team could make a clean pass.

you're right. Bad ice and a lot of bouncing pucks

honestly caps have been the worse team for much of the series, holtby, shot blocking and timely goals have carried them.

I totally disagree. They are continuing to force our players to the perimeter and are surrounding Holtby and blocking every shot. It's almost like Trotz called up Tort before the series. I now refer to him as Barry "Tort" Trotz. The Caps' D has outplayed them. McDonagh has been MIA. If he isn't doing anything and our top guns can't get it together, it's over. Vigneault has made little adjustments. He didn't even try to double shift Nash or load up his lines. He's getting badly outcoached.

My column is on Vigneault. How he has refused to adjust during games and doesn't use Nash on the top power play unit. 

Most frustrating to me and every Blueshirt fan, the team gave up with 34 seconds left. They froze and didn't even pressure the Caps allowing them an easy out. I've never seen anything like it. It was like they forgot how to play hockey. I've said it before and I'll reiterate it. It's a lot easier to rack up points in the regular season. Playoffs are totally different. The Rangers aren't as hard to play against. Lundqvist is making tougher saves than Holtby, who has outplayed him. This series reminds me of those ones Brodeur lost to the Pens and Sens. Same with the Canes. If you can't score, you have no chance. You can toss the possession aside. It is meaningless.

I can live with losing. What I can't tolerate is them freezing up at the end. They quit. That really aggravated me. Not to mention Vigneault's insistence on playing all four lines. You have to shorten up when you're down a goal. Especially when they have scored only 5 the whole series on 125 shots. Or is it 126? I lost count. Lundqvist has allowed 7 on 113. Some series.

I totally disagree. They are continuing to force our players to the perimeter and are surrounding Holtby and blocking every shot. It's almost like Trotz called up Tort before the series. I now refer to him as Barry "Tort" Trotz. The Caps' D has outplayed them. McDonagh has been MIA. If he isn't doing anything and our top guns can't get it together, it's over. Vigneault has made little adjustments. He didn't even try to double shift Nash or load up his lines. He's getting badly outcoached.

Eh I think you're being hard on them because they're your team. Yes the caps have played good D in their own zone but the Rangers have had quite a few odd man rushes and breakaways that Holtby has been big on. I'd also argue 3 of the Caps goals were pretty fluky- Ward's, Beagle's and Burakovsky's second. Caps really haven't been able to get many quality opportunities 5v5.

Rangers are out shooting the Caps this series, plus the Caps are blocking shots like crazy these last two games. That tells me NY has had the better of the possession.

Was the ice really bad, or am I just imagining things?

Seems like neither team could make a clean pass.

You're not imagining things. Orpik actually said it in a TV interview after game 3. Regarding Verizon Center's Ice, 'That's as bad as it gets to be honest with you.'

honestly caps have been the worse team for much of the series, holtby, shot blocking and timely goals have carried them.

Eh, I'd say 60/40 Rangers at most. They really haven't done anything special; seriously, what have they done? Rick Nash can't generate squat, Martin St. Louis forget it (he's too small and old for playoff hockey), Chris Kreider's been outmuscled and neutralized, McDonaugh's even making mistakes, Yandle and Girardi are almost certainly injured. 

You say "holtby, shot blocking, and timely goals" like it's no big deal, but 1) great goaltending, 2) suppressing chances or quality of chances, and 3) clutch scoring is a trifecta of qualities that can win the Stanley Cups. Tortorella's Rangers had the first 2 in 2012. We had 1 and 3 and won out, but they weren't far off. They could've easily made the Finals if not for Martin Brodeur's "scorpion save", and that's a fact. That was the momentum shift.

Regardless, by game 3 or 4 the superior team (with a superior coach) should have found ways to adjust to the Capitals' system. DeBoer did it in 2012. Otherwise, the old cliché rings true, that "they're not built for the playoffs" (see: Penguins, Canucks, Wild, Canadiens past few years). It's problematic that the injured Zuccarello plays with more speed and grit than their $8 million dollar man Rick Nash. It's problematic that Chris Kreider seems to be Rangers fans' only hope come playoff time, and after all the talk and hype he gets he only has 2 points. It's problematic that Martin St. Louis has gone invisible.

They have the depth to win the Stanley Cup. But they're just really not playing well. They haven't been playing well since their 4-2 win against the Capitals in the final game of the regular season. However, the lead is tenuous. I'd still give it a 60% chance to go 7 games, but the way the Capitals have been playing, I can't see them not winning 1 of the next 3 games. They are not the Penguins, not by any stretch of the imagination, they're not even the 2007-2013 Capitals. They may be the 2012 Devils.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

I still think it's going 7. The Caps are playing well D, but not really that all that well. Ovie has been quiet the last 2 games and has moments of doing really well, but he looks tired to me. Rangers can come back in this series, just need a little confidence. The difference is, Holtby has three chances to steal one. Could be the biggest difference.

I still think it's going 7. The Caps are playing well D, but not really that all that well. Ovie has been quiet the last 2 games and has moments of doing really well, but he looks tired to me. Rangers can come back in this series, just need a little confidence. The difference is, Holtby has three chances to steal one. Could be the biggest difference.

Yup, I wouldn't rule out a game 7 at all.