2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

I wouldn't bet on that happening. This series ended last night. We better hope Anaheim or Chicago is up to the task in the finals.

We better hope games 6 and 7 between Anaheim/Chicago aren't 3OT games. Given how things are going, you know they will be. 4OT, even...

Still gotta play the game and upsets do happen.

I get it.  But the fact remains that the Rags have the far superior goalie and are playing at home, so they can get the matchups they want.  They rarely lose Game 7's at the Garden, and have the experience to deal with this kind of pressure.  The Bolts (like the Caps last round) had their chance to finish this thing off at home and blew it.  So frustrating to watch.

You had one fvcking job Tampa

I get it.  But the fact remains that the Rags have the far superior goalie and are playing at home, so they can get the matchups they want.  They rarely lose Game 7's at the Garden, and have the experience to deal with this kind of pressure.  The Bolts (like the Caps last round) had their chance to finish this thing off at home and blew it.  So frustrating to watch.

Green Bay was undefeated in playoff games at Lambeau for the longest time but that ended when the Falcons with Vick beat them so nothing stays perfect forever.

Edited by roomtemp

I'm liking the Ducks tonight. Much like the Kings have done to teams in a lot of series over the past few years, I think the Ducks have spent the entire series punishing the Blackhawks physically, especially the 4 defenders and this is about when you would expect that advantage to really set in. The Hawks players have played a lot of hockey the last few years.

Me neither. I'm leaning towards Anaheim, but only because Chicago's defense is a triage unit.

Yeah, that's the whole thing, the Ducks are deep and Chicago's D is injured as Hell, but do you really want to trust Andersen against Henrik?  Another series like TB, hoping the offense can cover for the goalie is really risky against a top goalie.  I know Crawford's been shaky himself, but at least he's got two rings worth of Finals experience.

Edited by JSR

Yeah, that's the whole thing, the Ducks are deep and Chicago's D is injured as Hell, but do you really want to trust Andersen against Henrik? Another series like TB, hoping the offense can cover for the goalie is really risky against a top goalie.

Anaheim is like the Caps, but better, deeper, and more skilled. They play a very heavy game and they have as good a 1-2 punch down the middle with Getzlaf and Kesler as there is in the league. Then throw in Perry and a solid forward supporting cast and a very deep defense, and the Ducks are a pretty good squad. Anderson has played better than Bishop, so at this point I guess I would take my chances and hope the Ducks could score enough against Lundqvist to get it done. The Rags would have the clear-cut advantage in goal regardless of who they play in the Finals, so I guess we ride with the healthier, deeper team in Anaheim and hope for the best.

Game 7 Ducks-Hawks is a complete toss up.

Chicago has the winning pedigree, while Anaheim has the enormous pressure.

What a game 7 it should be.

Now only if the winner plays the Lightning, it would make a WCF Game 7 that much more sweeter.

Tampa-NY Game 7: Rangers will win it in the first 10 minutes

People have been asking me what is going to happen tomorrow and I honestly think it is a coin-flip and nothing will really surprise me.  Will not be surprised if either team wins in a blow-out, or if either team wins a close game.  As far as close game, 2-1 would not surprise me nor will 7-6.  BUT, I do think the first ten minutes will be HUGE for the Rangers.  They need to score early.  My guess is Tampa is going to want to go into all-out defend and wait for opportunities, just like they did in game 5.  Rangers get one early, and I think Tampa will try to open it up a bit.  If Tampa is able to play like they did in game 5 for the entire game, they will win.  Hard to beat Bishop with shots where he can set up and let the puck hit him.  Key is to make him move, and if the Rangers can't execute one-timers or force him to go laterally to make saves, he is hard to beat.

As far as this series itself, this is what I posted on a Rangers board the other day:

ere is basically how the series has been for the general public:

Before the series started: "Tampa going to win, they have owned the Rangers all year".

After game 1: "Rangers and it might be a quick one. Rangers are a much better team than they were when the teams played in November and December. Rangers are too good defensively for this team."

After game 2: "Saturday was a fluke. Lightning got their game going, they are unbeatable at home."

After game 3: "Rangers are done. You do not recover from that type of game. Blow a 2-goal lead, come back from a two-goal lead, tie it late only to lose in OT on a terrible goal? Lightning are in the Rangers' and especially Lundvist's head. This ends with a funeral at MSG on Sunday Night.

Before game 4:  "Winner of this game wins the series.  Rangers will not come back from 3-1 again, not against this team.  Tampa is much better than the Caps and last year's Pens.  If the Rangers win, it will be a best of 3, with 2 games at MSG, they will not lose.  We know how good Lundqvist is in home games late in the series."

After game 4: "Wow. Rangers finally hit their stride. Lundqvist is back. Tampa will probably not win another game. Took them a few games, but Rangers have them figured out."

Before game 5: "Whoever wins this game wins the series. I do not think either team would blow a 3-2 lead."

After game 5: "Lightning have to win game 6. They do not want to go to NY to play a game 7. Pressure is all on the Lightning to close it out. If the Rangers can win, they will win the series. They will have the momentum and Lundqvist is unbeatable in game 7's.
Edited by Matteau#32

People have been asking me what is going to happen tomorrow and I honestly think it is a coin-flip and nothing will really surprise me.  Will not be surprised if either team wins in a blow-out, or if either team wins a close game.  As far as close game, 2-1 would not surprise me nor will 7-6.  BUT, I do think the first ten minutes will be HUGE for the Rangers.  They need to score early.  My guess is Tampa is going to want to go into all-out defend and wait for opportunities, just like they did in game 5.  Rangers get one early, and I think Tampa will try to open it up a bit.  If Tampa is able to play like they did in game 5 for the entire game, they will win.  Hard to beat Bishop with shots where he can set up and let the puck hit him.  Key is to make him move, and if the Rangers can't execute one-timers or force him to go laterally to make saves, he is hard to beat.

As far as this series itself, this is what I posted on a Rangers board the other day:

ere is basically how the series has been for the general public:

Before the series started: "Tampa going to win, they have owned the Rangers all year".

After game 1: "Rangers and it might be a quick one. Rangers are a much better team than they were when the teams played in November and December. Rangers are too good defensively for this team."

After game 2: "Saturday was a fluke. Lightning got their game going, they are unbeatable at home."

After game 3: "Rangers are done. You do not recover from that type of game. Blow a 2-goal lead, come back from a two-goal lead, tie it late only to lose in OT on a terrible goal? Lightning are in the Rangers' and especially Lundvist's head. This ends with a funeral at MSG on Sunday Night.

Before game 4:  "Winner of this game wins the series.  Rangers will not come back from 3-1 again, not against this team.  Tampa is much better than the Caps and last year's Pens.  If the Rangers win, it will be a best of 3, with 2 games at MSG, they will not lose.  We know how good Lundqvist is in home games late in the series."

After game 4: "Wow. Rangers finally hit their stride. Lundqvist is back. Tampa will probably not win another game. Took them a few games, but Rangers have them figured out."

Before game 5: "Whoever wins this game wins the series. I do not think either team would blow a 3-2 lead."

After game 5: "Lightning have to win game 6. They do not want to go to NY to play a game 7. Pressure is all on the Lightning to close it out. If the Rangers can win, they will win the series. They will have the momentum and Lundqvist is unbeatable in game 7's.

overconfidence and panic, pretty much the standard in a close playoff race- for any fan base haha

Maybe Triumph can confirm this but I think the Rangers bet the farm the past couple years. They're not going to have much talent in the short years going forward.

Unlike in 94, they do have a lot of young players.  Guys like Kreider, Miller, Fast, Hayes, Hagelin, McDonagh, Stepan are all 26 or younger.  Nash, Zuccarello, Staal, Brassard, Girardi, Klein, Yandle, are all 30 and under.  As far as the farm, you are right in there is not much that is not currently on the big club.  Brady Skjei is the the only guy on Hartford (he just finished played in college) that I think will be an NHL regular.  In Juniors, they have Ryan Graves playing for Quebec and Daniel Wolcott who I think played for Baie-Comeau in the Q.  In Europe, they have Pavel Buchevnich, but apparently he has already said he doesn't think he is strong enough for the NHL and I do not think he is coming over yet.  

man our fan base really does have alot of sore loser fans.. believe me i dont want to see the rangers win the cup solely for bragging purposes and theyre scum bag fan base doesnt deserve it but some of us look more jealous than anything..the rangers have a good team right now it is what it is.

You don't think most Rangers fans were rooting against the Devils from 98-2004 or in 95?  

Unlike in 94, they do have a lot of young players.  Guys like Kreider, Miller, Fast, Hayes, Hagelin, McDonagh, Stepan are all 26 or younger.  Nash, Zuccarello, Staal, Brassard, Girardi, Klein, Yandle, are all 30 and under.  As far as the farm, you are right in there is not much that is not currently on the big club.  Brady Skjei is the the only guy on Hartford (he just finished played in college) that I think will be an NHL regular.  In Juniors, they have Ryan Graves playing for Quebec and Daniel Wolcott who I think played for Baie-Comeau in the Q.  In Europe, they have Pavel Buchevnich, but apparently he has already said he doesn't think he is strong enough for the NHL and I do not think he is coming over yet.  

Correct. Miller looks like he could breakout next year. I love his compete and edge on the forecheck. Perfect complement on the top line. Kreider still is puzzling. Great talent. The size, skill and strength to be a dominant big man. But still makes baffling decisions. He better not take a bad penalty tomorrow. Buchnevich re-signed for one year in the KHL. Just want to throw out our 2014 third rounder Tambellini who had a pretty big year for the Hitmen including a great playoff showing with 26 points in 16 games. The WHL is high scoring. So, who knows. But he's signed. Skjei has gotten all the hype while Graves has flown under the radar. At least they could have a couple of future blueliners when Boyle and Yandle (UFA next summer) are potentially gone. 

They have drafted well at goalie grabbing Halverson and Shestyerkin last summer who both represented their countries at the WJC. Shestyerkin the Russia starter and Halverson the USA backup who got into two games. With Talbot signed for another year and potential trade bait with Skapski entering his second pro year at Hartford, they boast some solid depth in net for the future. Granted. Lundqvist isn't going anywhere. But it's still good to have in reserve.