2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Maybe Triumph can confirm this but I think the Rangers bet the farm the past couple years. They're not going to have much talent in the short years going forward.

maybe but its balancing out when your core is young and that players wants to go there and only there like Hayes, Nash, St-Louis etc etc

People have been asking me what is going to happen tomorrow and I honestly think it is a coin-flip and nothing will really surprise me. Will not be surprised if either team wins in a blow-out, or if either team wins a close game. As far as close game, 2-1 would not surprise me nor will 7-6. BUT, I do think the first ten minutes will be HUGE for the Rangers. They need to score early. My guess is Tampa is going to want to go into all-out defend and wait for opportunities, just like they did in game 5. Rangers get one early, and I think Tampa will try to open it up a bit. If Tampa is able to play like they did in game 5 for the entire game, they will win. Hard to beat Bishop with shots where he can set up and let the puck hit him. Key is to make him move, and if the Rangers can't execute one-timers or force him to go laterally to make saves, he is hard to beat.

As far as this series itself, this is what I posted on a Rangers board the other day:

ere is basically how the series has been for the general public:

Before the series started: "Tampa going to win, they have owned the Rangers all year".

After game 1: "Rangers and it might be a quick one. Rangers are a much better team than they were when the teams played in November and December. Rangers are too good defensively for this team."

After game 2: "Saturday was a fluke. Lightning got their game going, they are unbeatable at home."

After game 3: "Rangers are done. You do not recover from that type of game. Blow a 2-goal lead, come back from a two-goal lead, tie it late only to lose in OT on a terrible goal? Lightning are in the Rangers' and especially Lundvist's head. This ends with a funeral at MSG on Sunday Night.

Before game 4: "Winner of this game wins the series. Rangers will not come back from 3-1 again, not against this team. Tampa is much better than the Caps and last year's Pens. If the Rangers win, it will be a best of 3, with 2 games at MSG, they will not lose. We know how good Lundqvist is in home games late in the series."

After game 4: "Wow. Rangers finally hit their stride. Lundqvist is back. Tampa will probably not win another game. Took them a few games, but Rangers have them figured out."

Before game 5: "Whoever wins this game wins the series. I do not think either team would blow a 3-2 lead."

After game 5: "Lightning have to win game 6. They do not want to go to NY to play a game 7. Pressure is all on the Lightning to close it out. If the Rangers can win, they will win the series. They will have the momentum and Lundqvist is unbeatable in game 7's.

The only thing that would shock me- literally knock me out of my seat in disbelief- is a Tampa blowout victory. Tampa isn't blowing anyone out tomorrow. If they do pull it off, it'll be by the skin of their teeth. Lundqvist just doesn't give up goals in these games. A Rag victory in any fashion will not shock me in the least, be it by one goal or ten.

You don't think most Rangers fans were rooting against the Devils from 98-2004 or in 95?  

I think the perception is compounded now with Facebook or Twitter around. All I see anywhere is people either jumping on the Rangers bandwagon or a ton of fellow Devils fans obsessively rooting against the Rangers.

But in reality, it's probably no different than 1995-2003, but we just see it more thanks to social media. Back in those years, it was probably more limited to lunchtime schoolyard talk or watercooler in the office talk lol

People have been asking me what is going to happen tomorrow and I honestly think it is a coin-flip and nothing will really surprise me.  Will not be surprised if either team wins in a blow-out, or if either team wins a close game.  As far as close game, 2-1 would not surprise me nor will 7-6.  BUT, I do think the first ten minutes will be HUGE for the Rangers.  They need to score early.  My guess is Tampa is going to want to go into all-out defend and wait for opportunities, just like they did in game 5.  Rangers get one early, and I think Tampa will try to open it up a bit.  If Tampa is able to play like they did in game 5 for the entire game, they will win.  Hard to beat Bishop with shots where he can set up and let the puck hit him.  Key is to make him move, and if the Rangers can't execute one-timers or force him to go laterally to make saves, he is hard to beat.

As far as this series itself, this is what I posted on a Rangers board the other day:

ere is basically how the series has been for the general public:

Before the series started: "Tampa going to win, they have owned the Rangers all year".

After game 1: "Rangers and it might be a quick one. Rangers are a much better team than they were when the teams played in November and December. Rangers are too good defensively for this team."

After game 2: "Saturday was a fluke. Lightning got their game going, they are unbeatable at home."

After game 3: "Rangers are done. You do not recover from that type of game. Blow a 2-goal lead, come back from a two-goal lead, tie it late only to lose in OT on a terrible goal? Lightning are in the Rangers' and especially Lundvist's head. This ends with a funeral at MSG on Sunday Night.

Before game 4:  "Winner of this game wins the series.  Rangers will not come back from 3-1 again, not against this team.  Tampa is much better than the Caps and last year's Pens.  If the Rangers win, it will be a best of 3, with 2 games at MSG, they will not lose.  We know how good Lundqvist is in home games late in the series."

After game 4: "Wow. Rangers finally hit their stride. Lundqvist is back. Tampa will probably not win another game. Took them a few games, but Rangers have them figured out."

Before game 5: "Whoever wins this game wins the series. I do not think either team would blow a 3-2 lead."

After game 5: "Lightning have to win game 6. They do not want to go to NY to play a game 7. Pressure is all on the Lightning to close it out. If the Rangers can win, they will win the series. They will have the momentum and Lundqvist is unbeatable in game 7's.

It's been one hell of a roller coaster that's for sure. There's pretty much been ZERO common thread from one game to the next. Every game's script has been completely different.

Edited by DJ Eco

maybe but its balancing out when your core is young and that players wants to go there and only there like Hayes, Nash, St-Louis etc etc

Yes and no. I mean, if it's not their farm that's going to be in trouble (which it is), it's their cap. That's why the cap's in place, pretty much, it's the ultimate equalizer. Pretty soon, they're going to have to eventually re-sign all of Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Hagelin, Fast, Stepan, and mayble Yandle....

....And good luck with that.

Their days of reckoning are fairly close (1-3 years), and we all know how much most, if not all, of them will be worth on the open market after the past two years of being showcased by the Rangers on their deep playoff runs.

Edited by DJ Eco

This weekend is an exciting one for the NHL because it showcases the best the sport has to offer. Two Game 7's for the first time since 2000 in the Conference Finals. Here's a preview.

Exciting Time For NHL With Seventh Game Extravaganza in Conference Finals

Plus the NHL has the stage to itself with the conference finals in the NBA finished and the Finals not set to start until late next week. Edited by MadDog2020

And if the Lightning come out slow and lethargic because some of their players are playing with the flu, you know in the MSG Vault documentary about this "monumental" win they will credit the Rangers for "grinding the Tampa players down" and "making them winded by game 7 with their upbeat, balanced play."  Not one word of the flu will be spoken.

Might as well start tacking up the plastic wrap over the lockers and put the champagne on ice in the Rags locker room.

And if the Lightning come out slow and lethargic because some of their players are playing with the flu, you know in the MSG Vault documentary about this "monumental" win they will credit the Rangers for "grinding the Tampa players down" and "making them winded by game 7 with their upbeat, balanced play." Not one word of the flu will be spoken.

Might as well start tacking up the plastic wrap over the lockers and put the champagne on ice in the Rags locker room.

Of course if the roles were reversed and it was the Rags with the flu and the Rags lost, there wouldn't be a person alive that Rags fans and media wouldn't be rushing to tell about how the Rags had the flu, and that's why they lost. When they win- they're the greatest team of all-time. When they lose- it's never their fault. They were tired. They ran out of gas. They blocked too many shots and it wore them down. They had the flu. The excuses always fly. Hopefully Anaheim or Chicago will dispatch these fvckbags, but whichever team they face will probably come down with Ebola just in time for game 1. Edited by MadDog2020

On the other hand, if the Rangers would happen to lose not only in their own house, but to a team fighting the flu, that would be outstandingly awesome. (I am not expecting this to happen; I'm just saying how what a great story it would be.)

On the other hand, if the Rangers would happen to lose not only in their own house, but to a team fighting the flu, that would be outstandingly awesome. (I am not expecting this to happen; I'm just saying how what a great story it would be.)

It would be epic. But the Rags will probably blow them out now- especially if Bishop is one of the sick ones. He sucks enough when perfectly healthy. Look for the Rags to hang a fvcking snowman on the board tonight.

I hope that is extra bad juju for the Rags.  I remember back at game 6 in 2001 the Devils had limo's outside and champagne at the ready at CAA in anticipation of their win that night.  They lost that game 4-0 and lost game 7 in Colorado 3-1.

That was one of the worst nights ever (relative to sports of course). I had the cigars, cooler, second round of food to barbecue. With all of the guys like Sykora and Mogilny who were previously cold stepping up in the game 5 blowout, it never occurred to me that they wouldn't win the cup that night. The first few minutes just made it look even more inevitable and then the Foote shot happened.

Anyway, back on subject, I hope the nightmare ends tonight with Callahan or Stralhman scoring the winner. Go Bolts!

That was one of the worst nights ever (relative to sports of course). I had the cigars, cooler, second round of food to barbecue. With all of the guys like Sykora and Mogilny who were previously cold stepping up in the game 5 blowout, it never occurred to me that they wouldn't win the cup that night. The first few minutes just made it look even more inevitable and then the Foote shot happened.

Anyway, back on subject, I hope the nightmare ends tonight with Callahan or Stralhman scoring the winner. Go Bolts!

Ugh... bad memories! Was on my honeymoon in AZ and we we're representing wearing our jerseys in Sedona.

Sent from my TAB2 using TapaTalk