2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Essentially, the Bolts got Callahan & the 2015 1st rounder from the Rags.

Since the trade both players are relatively even in the Regular Season, where Callahan has 65 points and MSL has 60.

MSL did well in the playoffs last year, but this year the numbers are almost the same for each guy in the playoffs.

The Rags went for the Cup in '14, knowing they were giving up a lot with Callahan & also to get MSL..but I recall Callahan had already turned down the Rags extension-offer and was headed toward RFA/UFA...

Still, it's nice to see Callahan playing well...while MSL sits and waits for an offer.

If the Rags don't get close to the Conference Finals next year and/or the Bolts win the Cup this year, it will be seen as a sweet trade for the Bolts.

Not playoff related, but the Coyotes are back in the news: http://www.tsn.ca/glendale-vs-the-coyotes-tonight-1.304662

This is pretty big... Does the league fight it, or finally say 'fvck it'? I mean, they really have no time to relocate in time for next season I don't think...

I think so based on how quickly both the Atlanta Thrashers and Seattle Supersonics moved in the past few years as examples.

The whole "Phoenix is not a big market" is a bunch of BS.  Isn't Phoenix the 6th or 7th largest city in the US now?  It's large enough, it's just no one is going to the games.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the US by population.  Right behind Philly and right ahead of San Antonio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Edited by DevsMan84

I think so based on how quickly both the Atlanta Thrashers and Seattle Supersonics moved in the past few years as examples.

The whole "Phoenix is not a big market" is a bunch of BS. Isn't Phoenix the 6th or 7th largest city in the US now? It's large enough, it's just no one is going to the games.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the US by population. Right behind Philly and right ahead of San Antonio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

The ball was rolling in May to get the Thrashers to Winnipeg, so they had a little bit more time. I mean the logistics would just be a mess. Quebec City's new arena will be opening soon, and I think they may be the only market that could take a team on the fly and make it work. Portland has an arena, but is it even a viable option? And if it is QC, it makes the unbalanced conferences even worse- does QC play in the Pacific division until another realignment can be instituted? Winnipeg played in the Southeast for a couple of years, but QC in the Pacific would be an even bigger travel nightmare than Winnipeg in the Southeast was. This is going to be interesting...

If the Coyotes' arena management agreement is broken tonight, maybe it's possible they pick up and move to Seattle? It's been no secret they want a hockey team and Seattle already has KeyArena standing by ready for a hockey team to play in it, seats a little over 15,000 for hockey. Can play there while a bigger facility is built, rather sure 15,000 is around the Jets' current capacity at MTS Centre.

If the Coyotes' arena management agreement is broken tonight, maybe it's possible they pick up and move to Seattle? It's been no secret they want a hockey team and Seattle already has KeyArena standing by ready for a hockey team to play in it, seats a little over 15,000 for hockey. Can play there while a bigger facility is built, rather sure 15,000 is around the Jets' current capacity at MTS Centre.

Until there are formal plans to actually build a new arena in Seattle, that isn't gonna happen. It's all talk right now.

Move to Quebec already, jeez!

Only way a team goes to Quebec is if after two years of getting their asses kicked in the first round of the playoffs the Red Wings start whining about "rivalry and tradition" and bitch and moan their way back into the Western Conference ......the East is already one team too many as is

Only way a team goes to Quebec is if after two years of getting their asses kicked in the first round of the playoffs the Red Wings start whining about "rivalry and tradition" and bitch and moan their way back into the Western Conference ......the East is already one team too many as is

True, but I've wondered why they didn't consider moving Nashville to the East. They could rival the Rangers and Lightning if they were on this side of the divide at least imo.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

True, but I've wondered why they didn't consider moving Nashville to the East. They could rival the Rangers and Lightning if they were on this side of the divide at least imo.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Simple answer, the Red Wings whined, bitched and complained until Bettman did what they wanted.....this seems to happen way too often in the NHL (notice who's pushing for the 3 on 3 OT as well....)

Simple answer, the Red Wings whined, bitched and complained until Bettman did what they wanted.....this seems to happen way too often in the NHL (notice who's pushing for the 3 on 3 OT as well....)

And notice who pushed and benefited most from the implementation of compliance buyouts. Sure it benefitted a little bit of everybody but Rangers, and to a lesser extent at that point in time, Flyers made out like the biggest bandits; but THE TIMING. Wade Redden, the Gomez trade happened the year prior, etc. You know Glen Sather's whispering in Bettman's ear at that point. And watch, we'll mysteriously see more compliance buyouts implemented when Lundqvist begins his decline.

And I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but the timing and severity of the punishment on us re: Kovalchuk's first contract; and lack thereof on some pretty major teams. There's a bunch of back office shadiness that happens, that we all just blame Gary Bettman for by default.

We can't underestimate the pull of large market teams when they want to sit down and "have a meeting" with Bettman and "get something done". He's from New York/New Jersey and you know that's how we get things done for better or worse.

Edited by DJ Eco