2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Anaheim-LA is the closest thing to what we have geographically with rivalries and fanbases intersecting. Anaheim-LA is more intense then you think though- Anaheim is only about a 30 minute drive to LA without traffic, not an hour. The allegiances for those teams cross over family/friend/coworker lines much like Devs-Rags/Isles-Rags does. So I'd argue that for Ducks fans, there's no real 'buffer'.They had misery for breakfast, lunch, and dinner when the Kings won those two Cups, just like Kings fans did when the Ducks won in 2007. Nonetheless, we do have a unique situation here, no doubt about it.

You now can add the Islanders to the geography making it a three-headed monster. It's definitely unique. Rivalries are what make sports.

People in New York city don't care about hockey or the Rangers; it wouldn't be that bad.

This couldn't be more inaccurate. The city loves a winner. You know how many people hopped on. It's everywhere. The Rangers are still NYC's best chance at a winner with the Mets now second. Those are the only two city teams that are close.

This couldn't be more inaccurate. The city loves a winner. You know how many people hopped on. It's everywhere. The Rangers are still NYC's best chance at a winner with the Mets now second. Those are the only two city teams that are close.

Would people jump on the bandwagon? Sure. Would there be people around town wearing Rangers hats or t shirts? Yes. Would there be mass riots and parties in the streets like there are in any other market after a cup victory? Nope. Hell, even Giants Super Bowl wins don't get street celebrations.

Would people jump on the bandwagon? Sure. Would there be people around town wearing Rangers hats or t shirts? Yes. Would there be mass riots and parties in the streets like there are in any other market after a cup victory? Nope. Hell, even Giants Super Bowl wins don't get street celebrations.

I'm gonna take a guess and figure you're too young to remember the sh!tshow that was the 1994 parade.......

I'm gonna take a guess and figure you're too young to remember the sh!tshow that was the 1994 parade.......

Incorrect. I suffered through that but realize how much worse it would have been if NYC actually gave a sh!t about the Rangers. While the parade was well attended, there weren't street parties or unorganized mass gatherings of celebration. I'm also not even talking about the parades. You can have a parade for Mel Gibson in NYC and a million people would show up. Also, 1994 was a looonnggg time ago. The city is much different and even more sports-apathetic today.

Edited by devlman

Also, 1994 was a looonnggg time ago. The city is much different and even more sports-apathetic today.

And 80% of the people hanging out in the city at any given point aren't even from the Northeast anymore haha. It's easier to find a bar showing a Michigan State basketball game with sound on than it is to find a bar showing regular season Rangers, Islanders, or Devils hockey.

That being said, the parade would be huge, and right by my job on Fulton Street haha

That's actually pretty cool. 

I like those full circle stories.  My favorite is still the Shanahan / Vaive story lol.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2009/12/08/shanny_snub_resulted_in_vaive_attack.html

I never knew about that, classic!