End of Season Notes 4/13/15

sundstrom

All of these are getting dropped into other threads - I thought it might be beneficial to just lump into one thread that is tying up the season.

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice

From Lamoriello's and Keith Kinkdaid's comments, it sounds like they have already agreed to a 2-year extension or it's almost done.

Happy about this - should be low cost and effective backup.

Asked Lamoriello if he would be open to trading 1st round pick if Devils don't win lottery and he said you have to be "open to everything."

Not much to go on here but obviously this shouldn't be for a player - it should be for more draft picks.

Lamoriello said he won't necessarily have a coach hired by the draft, but you always want to do things sooner than later.

this leads me to believe that it won't be oates and other tweets talk like if Stevens stays, he won't be head coach either. i am glad to hear it.

Plenty of Sal quotes indicating that he had a bulging disc in his back and Lou isn't sure if he'll have him back. Regardless a new captain is coming next year. Nothing really shocking.

Sound doubtful that Clowe will play again, but also sounds like Devils and he will leave that decision in hands of doctors.

Nothing new here really other than confirmation. There is "retirement" talk but I don't think Clowe walks away from the money. He's LTIR for the next 3 years. Just keep that in mind when it comes to summer cap.

Rich Chere

Adam Larsson was asked to play for Sweden but say no for several reasons, one being he does not have a contract behind this season.

Larsson is restricted, but obviously a contract will have to be worked out. I cannot envision another one year cheap deal. If Lou is smart, he goes 5/15 if he can get it.

This link fleshes out the above:

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/quick-wrap-up-of-devils-break-up-day-news-clowe-s-career-could-be-over-salvador-s-future-unclear-1.1307943

Why Sal's future with the Devils is unclear is a mystery.  He shouldn't have one (not on the ice, anyway).  End of story. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The best news in all of this is that it looks like neither Stevens nor Oates will be the next coach. Good.

Sal should probably retire and host Devils viewing parties with Driver and Marshall next year.

Don't think any of the news indicates that. Even if Lou was super high on both of them, it would still take time to figure out who would be the next head coach, and the logistics of them both coming back next season.

Don't think any of the news indicates that. Even if Lou was super high on both of them, it would still take time to figure out who would be the next head coach, and the logistics of them both coming back next season.

He's been working with both of them for 4 months now, I don't think it'd be that hard.  I'd be very surprised if either one was named head coach.

Oh come on, he just spent the last 4 months at practice and on the bench every night next to both of them. If he wanted to hire one as the head coach, he likely would've done it by now. How much more evaluation do you need to do? We're not trying to re-invent the space program here... It's hockey.

Edit: I see Tri essentially beat me the punch.

Oh come on, he just spent the last 4 months at practice and on the bench every night next to both of them. If he wanted to hire one as the head coach, he likely would've done it by now. How much more evaluation do you need to do? We're not trying to re-invent the space program here... It's hockey.

Edit: I see Tri essentially beat me the punch.

When does Lou rush to do anything? Even if he was going to announce the head coach in a week, I bet there would be no indication in his comments today. Neither coach got to implement their exact strategy that they wanted. It was clearly a unique situation, so I'm sure he's going to take his time. 

Would it shock you if Oates and Stevens interview for the job with other candidates?

When does Lou rush to do anything? Even if he was going to announce the head coach in a week, I bet there would be no indication in his comments today. Neither coach got to implement their exact strategy that they wanted. It was clearly a unique situation, so I'm sure he's going to take his time.

Would it shock you if Oates and Stevens interview for the job with other candidates?

It wouldn't surprise me if Lou gave them both the professional courtesy of an interview, no... But after 4 months standing on the bench with them every night, I think you know what you have. Oates was a head coach already, I think Lou has a good idea of who and what Oates is at this point. There aren't any surprises here.

while i don't expect either Stevens or Oates to get the gig, there is no sense naming someone even if they're front runners because you want to see who is available. while i think there is almost no chance that babcock comes here, i'm sure lou would want to make the phone call to find out. maybe he wants to see what's up with mclellan. perhaps a good coach whose team is bounced in the first round doesn't survive.

for all we know, lou might have been given a mandate for a succession plan over the next 3 years and a new coach and assistant GM is part of that. perhaps there is a coach/AGM pair that he's looking at.

The best news in all of this is that it looks like neither Stevens nor Oates will be the next coach. Good.

Sal should probably retire and host Devils viewing parties with Driver and Marshall next year.

From the F&I posted by CR, today it didn't sound that Lou was definite that neither Oates or Stevens couldn't be the HC. I don't see Stevens having the experience of being a HC as of now, Oates has been there before. It's probably best to have an outside HC. Tough situation re: HC for Devils. Lou isn't indicating any rush to get a HC in place so I must assume the team game strategy will be the same as always.

while i don't expect either Stevens or Oates to get the gig, there is no sense naming someone even if they're front runners because you want to see who is available. while i think there is almost no chance that babcock comes here, i'm sure lou would want to make the phone call to find out. maybe he wants to see what's up with mclellan. perhaps a good coach whose team is bounced in the first round doesn't survive.

for all we know, lou might have been given a mandate for a succession plan over the next 3 years and a new coach and assistant GM is part of that. perhaps there is a coach/AGM pair that he's looking at.

That's a great idea and necessary.

Here are some thoughts: I like the Crowe, Zubrus and Ruutu suggestions, not really new except buying out both Zubrus and Ruutu.  I wouldn't keep Fraser, Helgeson can do his job.

http://thehockeywriters.com/should-he-stay-or-should-he-go-new-jersey-devils-edition/

Next year shouldn't be to try to make the playoffs or to think that we will be competitive for the cup finals. That thinking should be 16/17 or 17/18 we are so far in the hole as of now. We have very few asset to trade without tearing apart our base.

I am glad we kept Kinkaid for 2 more years goaltending is solid. Defense we trade Gelinas keep the rest and add a vet "D".  Sal has to go. I bet we go for Oduya

We're in a different position than though to "not try to make the playoffs". We aren't in a tanking position. We have a great goalie and a good defense. We aren't going to be a bottom 5 team most likely. Don't make any stupid moves is more like it. If we don't make any dumb moves and somehow make the playoffs, great. 

Let's wait until Saturday. 

• Like 1

We're in a different position than though to "not try to make the playoffs". We aren't in a tanking position. We have a great goalie and a good defense. We aren't going to be a bottom 5 team most likely. Don't make any stupid moves is more like it. If we don't make any dumb moves and somehow make the playoffs, great. 

Let's wait until Saturday. 

Exactly, we could make the playoffs by default but lets now spend on two old forward to see if we can make it in 15/16, build a team for the future not collect players, then Lou isn't into the future he too old he is do it this year.

I posted this in wrong thread:

With goaltending  locked up lets lock up the "D" trade Gelinas, get Oduya bring up Helgeson to replace Fraser dump Fraser, dump Harrold and dump Salvador. Move up another young "D" and you have 7 "D" with depth in Albany. 

OK forwards are next that's the big problem.

Crowe to LTIR

Zubrus bought out

Ruutu bought out

Cammalleri stays

Elias stays

Bernier stays

Gomez stays

Havlet goes

Ryder goes

Henrique stays

Josefson stays

Tootoo stays

Zajac stays.

that's 8 offensive guys stay, We need to get 6 more. 

Keep Boucher and Matteau need 4

Get Lucic from Boston with Boston retaining part of his salary give them Gelinas and a pick, Harrold and Fraser who knows what it takes. Devils trade with Boston and Boston trades with the Devils

now we need 3 young guys one out of draft, need 2. 

This can be done Keep Gionta need 1.

This can be done.

Low scoring games because of goaltending and D and we add Lucic and another UFA with a short term contract.

I posted this in wrong thread:

With goaltending locked up lets lock up the "D" trade Gelinas, get Oduya bring up Helgeson to replace Fraser dump Fraser, dump Harrold and dump Salvador. Move up another young "D" and you have 7 "D" with depth in Albany.

OK forwards are next that's the big problem.

Crowe to LTIR

Zubrus bought out

Ruutu bought out

Cammalleri stays

Elias stays

Bernier stays

Gomez stays

Havlet goes

Ryder goes

Henrique stays

Josefson stays

Tootoo stays

Zajac stays.

that's 8 offensive guys stay, We need to get 6 more.

Keep Boucher and Matteau need 4

Get Lucic from Boston with Boston retaining part of his salary give them Gelinas and a pick, Harrold and Fraser who knows what it takes. Devils trade with Boston and Boston trades with the Devils

now we need 3 young guys one out of draft, need 2.

This can be done Keep Gionta need 1.

This can be done.

Low scoring games because of goaltending and D and we add Lucic and another UFA with a short term contract.

Absolutely no need to buy out Zubrus nor Ruutu. We dont have a cap problem, Zubrus has one year left (i believe), and Ruutu is serviceable as a bottom 6 guy

Absolutely no need to buy out Zubrus nor Ruutu. We dont have a cap problem, Zubrus has one year left (i believe), and Ruutu is serviceable as a bottom 6 guy

Yes, there's a very good reason to buy out Zubrus- he's terrible and can't play anymore. I agree about holding on to Ruutu though, he's not a complete waste of space... Edited by MadDog2020

Doesnt he have one year left? If you bring in a coach who doesnt play him in the top 9, you can deal with him eating up 4th line and pk minutes for one more year

Why have a 3 million something guy on the 4th line when we have a bunch of best AND cheaper options.

Salvador feels like he can play next year.

Has he also thought that in previous years, because it wasn't true then, and probably ain't now.

If he is re-signed that is a travesty.

He's a "Lou guy" but I'm hoping that won't be enough to throw perfectly good money down the drain. Please NO.