Devils 2014-2015 Off Season Thread

Jerzey

Should be a fairly busy off season for Lou Shero this summer. Lot's of free agents to sign or let go, maybe a couple of trades, have to find a coach or two, and then there's the draft. I'll edit in changes as they come.

General Fanager Devils Page

RFA Re-Signings:

Stephan Matteau - Re-signs 2 Years, 1 Way, 612.5k (Cap Hit)
Adam Larsson - Re-signs 6 years, 25 million (4.17 cap hit), limited NTC last 3 years of contract
Eric Gelinas - Re-signs 2 Years, 3.15 (Cap Hit)

UFA Re-signings:

Michael Ryder
Martin Havlat
Jordin TooToo - Re-signed 1 year 825k
Steve Bernier
Scott Gomez
Bryce Salvador
Peter Harrold
Mark Fraser
Keith Kinkaid - Re-signed 2 years 725k per

UFA Signings:

John Moore - 3 years, 1.6 million (cap hit)
Jim O'Brien - 1 year, 2 way, NHL salary - 575K
Sergei Kalinin - ELC, 1 Year, 2 Way, NHL Salary 925k
Vojtech Mozik - ELC, 2 Years, 2 Way, NHL Salary - 667.5, 692.5

Prospect Signings:

Blake Coleman - ELC, 2 Year, 2 Way...
Paul Thompson - 2 Years, 2 Way, NHL Salary - 575k (Cap Hit)
Ryan Kujawinski - ELC, 3 Years, 2 Way, NHL Salary - 667.5K, 667.5k, 742.5k
Blake Pietila - ELC, 2 Years, 2 Way, NHL Salary - 650k, 675k
Scott Wedgewood - ELC, 2 Years, 2 Way, NHL Salary - 587.5 (Cap Hit)

Trades:

Kyle Palmeri to NJ for 2015 2nd (41st OA) and 2016 3rd (NJ's choice)

Draft picks:

1 - C Pavel Zacha (6th OA)
2 - G MacKenzie Blackwood (42nd OA)
2 - 41st packaged with Devils choice of 2016 3rd to Anaheim for Kyle Palmeri
3 - C Blake Speers (67th OA)
4 - D Colton White (97th OA)
5 - Traded to St. Louis
6 - LW Brett Seney (157th OA)
7 - Traded to LA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NHL_Entry_Draft

Coaching Changes:

John Hynes - Head Coach
Alain Nasreddine - Assistant Coach
Geoff Ward - Assistant Coach
Chris Tererri - Goalie Coach
Scott Clemmensen - Goalie Development

Other Changes:

Ray Shero named GM
- Lou Lamorillo stays on as President of Hockey operations.

- David Conte parts ways with Devils organization - http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-part-ways-with-executive-vp-of-hockey-operations-director-of-scouting-david-conte-1.1371657
Lou Lamorillo leaves New Jersey Devils to become General Manager of Toronto Maple Leafs
Tom Fitzgerald named Assistant General Manager

- Dainius Zubrus' contract bought out by Devils - http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/dainius-zubrus-clears-unconditional-waivers-devils-buyout-now-official-1.1383616

Andre Savard and Claude Noel join Devils Pro Scouting staff

Mike Cammalleri to become first Devil to wear #13, Tootoo to wear #22, Gelinas to wear #44

The Devils named Pertti Hasanen their new development/skills coach

Jacques Lemaire leaves Devils to join Lou Lamoriello with Maple Leafs

Joe Lorincz replaces longtime Devils' strength/conditioning coach Mike Vasalani

Devils add Patrick Rissmiller as development coach

Devils hire Andy Schneider as amateur scout

Edited by Jerzey Devil
  • Like 2

From Elliote Friedman's 30 Thoughts blog- http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-nhl-awards-edition/

8. There is some talk New Jersey, which has some good, young defencemen, will test the market on Eric Gelinas to try and add a youthful forward. What helps is Adam Larsson, who had just one goal and four points in 18 games before Christmas (and was a healthy scratch many nights), had two goals and 20 points in 46 games afterwards. Assistant coaches there are not allowed to talk, but video sure makes it look like Larsson’s stick changed following Adam Oates’ hiring.

From Elliote Friedman's 30 Thoughts blog- http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-nhl-awards-edition/

8. There is some talk New Jersey, which has some good, young defencemen, will test the market on Eric Gelinas to try and add a youthful forward. What helps is Adam Larsson, who had just one goal and four points in 18 games before Christmas (and was a healthy scratch many nights), had two goals and 20 points in 46 games afterwards. Assistant coaches there are not allowed to talk, but video sure makes it look like Larsson’s stick changed following Adam Oates’ hiring.

Also from that list...

7. Now that the season is over Sean Burke will look for a new team. Toronto will be a pursuer, although not for the GM position. Burke has a history with Lou Lamoriello, so there is some curiosity to see if the Devils are interested in adding anyone. If Arizona does not get one of the top two picks, could that affect Maloney’s future? If so, does that mean Burke stays? Don’t know if there is a franchise with more on the line at the lottery than the Coyotes.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Just got a notification from "The Score" that the Devils will look to trade Gelinas this offseason.  Looking for a young forward.

About time I'd say.  Wonder what they could possibly acquire though - any project forwards out there?

I see Yakupov just signed a reasonable extension..

With Gelinas, I would like to see him packaged with one of the second rounders for one of the lower picks in the first round if there is a particular player the Devils are interested in.  I don't think he would bring back a forward prospect that would advance things all that much. 

The Devils need players.  Gelinas is certainly an intriguing proposition for a lot of teams - if you can somehow fix him you might have 80% of PK Subban - trading him for a pick moves the ball way back.  I also don't think you are likely to be able to package him and a 2nd for a 1st - what team is going for that deal, and why?

The Devils need players.  Gelinas is certainly an intriguing proposition for a lot of teams - if you can somehow fix him you might have 80% of PK Subban - trading him for a pick moves the ball way back.  I also don't think you are likely to be able to package him and a 2nd for a 1st - what team is going for that deal, and why?

If it's a pick from 20 to 30, you're moving 15 or so picks down for Gelinas.  Why another team would agree to it is the same reason you seem to think that the Devils could get a player of some use for him.  I think my scenario might be a little more likely as it's possible a trading partner's draft board has a certain player in the 35 to 40 range that they feel is almost as good as someone in the 20-30 range. 

From what Lou has said and what he's done recently, I don't think he's looking for another third-line player to trade for.  But, I dunno, if there's a player in mind, could it be someone like Beau Bennett?

If it's a pick from 20 to 30, you're moving 15 or so picks down for Gelinas.  Why another team would agree to it is the same reason you seem to think that the Devils could get a player of some use for him.  I think my scenario might be a little more likely as it's possible a trading partner's draft board has a certain player in the 35 to 40 range that they feel is almost as good as someone in the 20-30 range. 

From what Lou has said and what he's done recently, I don't think he's looking for another third-line player to trade for.  But, I dunno, if there's a player in mind, could it be someone like Beau Bennett?

I cannot think of any Player + 2nd round pick for 1st round pick deals happening at a draft.  The closest thing I can find was in 2008 when Eminger + 3rd went for Philadelphia's 1st.  It's just not a deal that makes a lot of sense - it's a 2 nickels for a quarter sort of deal.  You'll get the occasional Mikael Samuelsson + 1st for 1st deal, but it's rare.

I don't think Pittsburgh wants defense - they've been trading it away lately - but sure, something that seems like it should be a top 6 forward who either hasn't gotten a shot because there's too many players ahead of them or they just haven't fit in.  If NJ has to add a pick to that, so be it, but it's the sort of trade they should be exploring.

I cannot think of any Player + 2nd round pick for 1st round pick deals happening at a draft.  The closest thing I can find was in 2008 when Eminger + 3rd went for Philadelphia's 1st.  It's just not a deal that makes a lot of sense - it's a 2 nickels for a quarter sort of deal.  You'll get the occasional Mikael Samuelsson + 1st for 1st deal, but it's rare.

I don't think Pittsburgh wants defense - they've been trading it away lately - but sure, something that seems like it should be a top 6 forward who either hasn't gotten a shot because there's too many players ahead of them or they just haven't fit in.  If NJ has to add a pick to that, so be it, but it's the sort of trade they should be exploring.

I was thinking that it would be roughly the same as last year when the Isles got pick 28 for picks 33 and 57.  Yes, it was two picks, but I think Gelinas, especially if the right  team likes him, is a decent enough equivalent to fill out the other component.  That is, you'd be getting Gelinas and pick 37 for pick 25-30, maybe.  Strikes me as fair. 

it would kill me to see NJ give up that much to move up one spot

I guess it depends on how much Marner or Strome are valued by Lou and Carolina's GM (or whoever's there at the #5 pick). I would do it for Marner or Strome though especially if it's Florida's 2nd.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I was thinking that it would be roughly the same as last year when the Isles got pick 28 for picks 33 and 57.  Yes, it was two picks, but I think Gelinas, especially if the right  team likes him, is a decent enough equivalent to fill out the other component.  That is, you'd be getting Gelinas and pick 37 for pick 25-30, maybe.  Strikes me as fair. 

Again, it just doesn't make a lot of sense.  Why am I valuing Gelinas this highly?  Why am I trading this pick not for a player by himself, but a player and a 2nd round pick?  Why are the Devils throwing this player into the trade?  Most trades either go picks for picks or player for picks, or players + picks for players + picks, not player + lower pick for higher pick.  It's an unusual trade - I imagine because neither side would suggest a trade like that.  I imagine that's because rarely does a trade start off with 'I'd like a 1st round pick'.

Again, I went back 8 drafts and found no evidence of such a trade happening, or even a similar-ish trade (where one side is clearly trading a player they value and one side is trading a player worth nothing) - the closest thing was Eminger + 3rd for 1st.  I imagine such a trade has happened, but it seems quite unlikely.  More likely is NJ being able to trade Gelinas for some sort of forward help, but like Gelinas, it won't be a sure thing at all.

Again, it just doesn't make a lot of sense.  Why am I valuing Gelinas this highly?  Why am I trading this pick not for a player by himself, but a player and a 2nd round pick?  Why are the Devils throwing this player into the trade?  Most trades either go picks for picks or player for picks, or players + picks for players + picks, not player + lower pick for higher pick.  It's an unusual trade - I imagine because neither side would suggest a trade like that.  I imagine that's because rarely does a trade start off with 'I'd like a 1st round pick'.

Again, I went back 8 drafts and found no evidence of such a trade happening, or even a similar-ish trade (where one side is clearly trading a player they value and one side is trading a player worth nothing) - the closest thing was Eminger + 3rd for 1st.  I imagine such a trade has happened, but it seems quite unlikely.  More likely is NJ being able to trade Gelinas for some sort of forward help, but like Gelinas, it won't be a sure thing at all.

Erat for Forsberg is one

When I first broached the idea, it would be if there was a player available in the late first round that the Devils really valued.  I agree that it's not something you do just to have the cache of having another "first round pick." 

So far as what the other team gets out of it, it's whether they really see something in Gelinas.  The premise is that a team that wants to trade for him would.    I don't think the fact that the Devils would have to add a second round pick to the equation would cause the other team to think twice, which is kind of what it sounds like you mean.  Like, "this Gelinas must not be very good if I'm also getting a second round pick."  I imagine people know what he is and have their own ideas about what he could be. 

I'll take your word for it that it doesn't happen all that often.  But it doesn't violate some law of hockey trade physics. 

The Gelinas and 2nd pick for a 1st is close but way off. Lou is not trading Gelinas unless they get something that can help the team upfront immediately.

I have a feeling that one of the Devils 2nd round picks will be part of a package with Gelinas to get an NHL forward via trade. I do think Lou is looking for two top 6 forwards, one via trade and one via free agency. Not looking forward to either of these players...since they will surely make a horrible free agent signing, and not expecting to Lou to pull off a great trade.

The Gelinas and 2nd pick for a 1st is close but way off. Lou is not trading Gelinas unless they get something that can help the team upfront immediately.

I have a feeling that one of the Devils 2nd round picks will be part of a package with Gelinas to get an NHL forward via trade. I do think Lou is looking for two top 6 forwards, one via trade and one via free agency. Not looking forward to either of these players...since they will surely make a horrible free agent signing, and not expecting to Lou to pull off a great trade.

That sounds like a deal for Patrick Sharp.  And you're right, it would be terrible. 

I would like to see Ruutu and Zubrus bought out.

What do you think about these ideas?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2430880-complete-guide-to-the-2015-offseason-for-the-new-jersey-devils

they both only have one year left plus the devils are going to have close to 40mil to spend next year.  also buying them out will effect your cap for the next 2yrs

they both only have one year left plus the devils are going to have close to 40mil to spend next year. also buying them out will effect your cap for the next 2yrs

Ruutu has several tears left, the thing is we dont need the cap space, nor is Ruutu a problem in a bottom 6 role