Devils 2014-2015 Off Season Thread

Jerzey

i know its been posted already, but nhl.com has ROR trade speculation on the front page... again.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8475158

sources say they want a "significant defenseman" in return. 

Anyway we could take ROR and their 10th OA pick from them?  Maybe Larsson, Josefson, and 2nd round pick/prospect or something...

Edited by Onddeck

That is not true at all. Plenty of players want to come to the Devils. Only thing is they're all over the hill and they know they can get a contract with no expectations. It used to be that NYR and FLA was the place players would go to end their careers. Now it's NJD.

I think the new way the owners are taking now will prevent over the hill players from playing here.  At least on significant contracts.  That pretty much eliminates the Vermette's and the Staffords of the world from being signed.  However, I could still see stop-gaps signed on short-term contracts like MSL.

When the Rags were signing players like Fleury, Kamensky, Lindros, trading for Bure, etc, they were signing them to actually be pieces of their long term puzzle (well maybe not Bure).  None of them worked out though.

Leafs fans are gonna be a little underwhelmed with the return they get for Kessel.  They've lost a TON of leverage in dealing him over the last year

At this point, especially looking at his "list" (which is ridiculous, it's pretty much every team that can't make a major move), I think he's most likely staying in Toronto.

https://twitter.com/NHLDevils/status/610554759016222721

Devils have signed defenseman Vojtech Mozik to an entry-level deal

From what I'm reading, he's attended two Rangers camps and they either offered or were going to offer him a contract this week. So essentially, Shero stole him from the Rangers. Well done, sir.

Edited by DJ Eco

didn't watch the whole thing but looks like a hard shot and actually a pretty good skater

I agree but that's all you can tell from highlights.  It'll be a big jump for him but not unheard of, as HOI pointed out.  I just wouldn't expect him to come right in but maybe something similar to what Salmela did, albeit this guy is a bit younger.

That is not true at all. Plenty of players want to come to the Devils. Only thing is they're all over the hill and they know they can get a contract with no expectations. It used to be that NYR and FLA was the place players would go to end their careers. Now it's NJD.

exactly and why would we want that? No top tier talent wants to come to a struggling nj team it's not a desirable destination right now. Players and good players at that want to go play on a team with other good players where they will have room to be or stay successful. The truth of the matter.

From what I'm reading, he's attended two Rangers camps and they either offered or were going to offer him a contract this week. So essentially, Shero stole him from the Rangers. Well done, sir.

I'm sure they're devastated.  Although I guess we beat them at something. Hartford could of used the depth.

Greene - Keep

Larsson - Keep

Serverson - Keep

Merril - Trade

Gelinas - Keep

Santini - Keep

Mozik - Keep

Hrbarenka - Trade

Helgelson - Trade

Scarlett - Keep

Jacobs - Keep

Burlon

This is a pretty nice list.  Who gets moved?  

Should be interesting to see what happens with these guys.

I would trade Merrill and keep Gelinas

Devils won't look to build through unrestricted free agency; No offers to move up/down at draft, yet

As for how aggressive Shero will be in pursuing other team's unrestricted free agents, he said that is, “to be determined, I think, in terms of direction, in terms of the age, in terms of the prices.”

The repeated objectives, which Shero first talked about at the news conference to introduce John Hynes as coach on June 2, are for the Devils to be a fast, attacking and supportive team. Players who fit into that mold are the kind the Devils will be interested in on what looks to be a thin UFA market.

“All of that goes to what we talked about criteria, what we're looking for,” Shero said. “I certainly don't think that's going to be the avenue we're building a team, though.”

The Devils have roughly $23 million in salary cap space with a projected 2015-16 salary cap of around $71 million (the official number is expected to be announced some time before or shortly after the draft), but that figure accounts for only 15 signed players. Even after re-signing restricted free agents such as Adam Larsson and Eric Gelinas, however, Shero should have plenty of cap space to work with this summer if he wants to add salary through UFA signings or trades. 

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-won-t-look-to-build-through-unrestricted-free-agency-no-offers-to-move-up-down-at-draft-yet-1.1358714

Good news, IMO. I was hoping he was going to stay away from UFA's this off season.

Edited by Jerzey Devil