Devils 2014-2015 Off Season Thread

Jerzey

I like your game plan! I agree that St. Louis for one year would be great. I feel like the presence of a veteran who has had a lot of success will be helpful for mentoring purposes, especially now that Shero is committed to making this team younger. I also agree about Ruutu - that line with JJ and Palmieri would be a good one, but I wonder whether Palmieri will play in the top 6.

The fourth line will be quite a problem. Shero really needs to buy Zubrus out. I'm hoping Kalinin can take his spot there. Maybe we'll even see Matteau get some time on the fourth line.

If we can get rid of Zubrus I would like:

S. Matteau - S. Gionta - J. Tootoo

Gionta has 1 year left. I think they will ride out baby Gio and let Kalinin develop, perhaps giving Kalinin some main roster time throughout the year and taking advantage of that two way deal.

You have so many options with that foruth line.

Matteau-Gionta-Tootoo

Zubrus-Gionta-Tootoo

Matteau-Kalinin-Tootoo

Matteau-Kalinin-Boucher

That 4th line is gonna be a shuffle next year.

Edited by TheMazz

Richards on buy-out waivers. Parenteau too.

Parenteau, for some reason, gives me the same vibe as those baseball players that can't do anything but steal bases, but you end up having them on your fantasy baseball team. No thanks.

Richards, I would definitely give a show me type deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Parenteau, for some reason, gives me the same vibe as those baseball players that can't do anything but steal bases, but you end up having them on your fantasy baseball team. No thanks.

Richards, I would definitely give a show me type deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richards on a show me deal might not be bad...

I'd take Parenteau on a 1-year deal no questions asked, that's the kind of UFA signing we should be going after. Sign him to slot in our Top 6 RW, and we're looking at something like:

Cammalleri - Zajac - Parenteau

Henrique - Elias - Palmieri

Zacha - Josefson - Kalinin/Boucher/Matteau?

Ruutu - Zubrus/Kalinin/Gionta - Tootoo

Obviously still some question marks there, but the Top 6 looks decent.

Red Sox won a World Series with a player just as you described: Dave Roberts.

Take a chance on PA, what's the worst that happens, Havlatt 2.0?

How about a low risk high reward lineup. Sign MSL and Parenteau to reasonable deals, if it works then great! If not then you can shop both of them at the deadline.

Cammalleri Zajac Palmieri

Elias Henrique St. Louis

Boucher Josefson Parenteau

Matteau Zubrus/Ruutu Tootoo

Thats not a bad lineup at all IMO. You have goal scorers on each line and a few play makers sprinkled throughout.

Maybe swap Boucher and Elias. A Boucher Henrique St. Louis line would be fun to watch.

Edited by Zubie#8

Nothing like getting hyped up to see the Jets..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You'd rather they open up vs the Rags or Flyers and have those fans in our building? Even an Isles opener would bring their fans. Same with Pitt or Chicago/Detroit.

Glad it's the Jets, 100% Devils crowd

How about a low risk high reward lineup. Sign MSL and Parenteau to reasonable deals, if it works then great! If not then you can shop both of them at the deadline.

Cammalleri Zajac Palmieri
Elias Henrique St. Louis
Boucher Josefson Parenteau
Matteau Zubrus/Ruutu Tootoo

Thats not a bad lineup at all IMO. You have goal scorers on each line and a few play makers sprinkled throughout.

i think i'd rather try to get Mike richards than St-Louis. He's a lot younger and he won the cup. always good to have around youngsters.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

i think i'd rather try to get Mike richards than St-Louis. He's a lot younger and he won the cup. always good to have around youngsters.

And Richards winning a Cup is going to bring value on a terrible team..how exactly? St Louis may be older, but he's a lot better. He's also happened to have won a Cup. But that's pretty irrelevant in my opinion.

And Richards winning a Cup is going to bring value on a terrible team..how exactly? St Louis may be older, but he's a lot better. He's also happened to have won a Cup. But that's pretty irrelevant in my opinion.

Work ethic. Telling the kids what it takes to win it these days. 

also both could be either good or bad. But IF Richards turns out alright in our system we could have him for a few seasons. MSL is months away from retiring

also i wouldnt expect to bring in Richards in a top 6 role. if he can work his way up fine. But you don't sign St-Louis to have him in the bottom 6. With Richards you can

Edited by SterioDesign

Red Sox won a World Series with a player just as you described: Dave Roberts.

Take a chance on PA, what's the worst that happens, Havlatt 2.0?

It wouldn't be a calamity signing him.  He's just another one of those players that if he isn't scoring goals, he's really useless, kind of like Ryder.  He would appear to have even less value given that there should be fewer shootouts this year.

Work ethic. Telling the kids what it takes to win it these days. 

also both could be either good or bad. But IF Richards turns out alright in our system we could have him for a few seasons. MSL is months away from retiring

also i wouldnt expect to bring in Richards in a top 6 role. if he can work his way up fine. But you don't sign St-Louis to have him in the bottom 6. With Richards you can

Mike Richards...the player traded for partying too much, and was too out of shape last year to play in the NHL. Ha! Either way...winning a Stanley Cup is not the way you measure leadership or work ethic. Might as well sign Dustin Penner or Jarret Stoll.

Tootoo, Elias, Henrique, Greene, Zubrus, Ruutu, Zajac, Cammalleri...there's enough leadership in the locker room to pass on any important lessons to the younger players...the younger players that have proven absolutely nothing in the league and have been gifted nothing. They'll be working their ass off as it is anyway. Also, you play for Lou Lamoriello...no need to worry about any of the extra-curricular stuff either.

Mike Richards...the player traded for partying too much, and was too out of shape last year to play in the NHL. Ha! Either way...winning a Stanley Cup is not the way you measure leadership or work ethic. Might as well sign Dustin Penner or Jarret Stoll.

Tootoo, Elias, Henrique, Greene, Zubrus, Ruutu, Zajac, Cammalleri...there's enough leadership in the locker room to pass on any important lessons to the younger players...the younger players that have proven absolutely nothing in the league and have been gifted nothing. They'll be working their ass off as it is anyway. Also, you play for Lou Lamoriello...no need to worry about any of the extra-curricular stuff either.

yeah yeah, he's also the guy who scored only 9 less points than our top line center while playing 27 less games. 

.... Ha. 

You've lost the argument, so you change the argument. Keep doing you SD.  This comment has absolutely nothing to do with what we were talking about. 

lost the argument? and changing the argument? where? Im saying he'd still be useful here based on the what we have. You say he's sh!t yet he had the same production than our top line center. How is that changing argument?

His salary was a problem in LA. On the cheap Richards would be an upgrade on many of our players and he's been captain in the NHL and yes he's a hard working player, good defensively and plays the game the right way. of course he's not was he was years ago but he's in his early 30s.